PDA

View Full Version : How not to get water up your nose?

Mermaid Caidence
06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
So, unlike my brother, I have issues with blowing air out of nose when I do backflips or anything upsidedown in the water. I find that, even if I sucessfully do a backflip things in the water, I never have enough air to continue with any other swimming. Is there any other way to prevent water from going up your nose? I read this article http://blog.swimator.com/2011/04/getting-water-up-my-nose-while-swimming.html, and then made my friend be a guinea pig and try it. She said it worked, but it still stung a little bit. Only after that, did I realize this wasn't for doing backflips and those things. So I was sort of confused. Any suggestions?

Kitty-Madison Snel
06-23-2012, 10:21 AM
That's easy: you need a Tomnose. It is a Dutch invention by Tom van der Hoff. We use them for many years. If you need more information about it, you send me a private message or e-mail.

www.kitty-madison.com/tomnose.htm (http://www.kitty-madison.com/tomnose.htm) (Dutch)

Kitty-Madison Snel
06-23-2012, 10:27 AM
In English:

The alternative to the nose clip

A fast growing line of swimming is called synchronized swimming.
As a large part of the movements is made upside down in the water, the air bubble in the nasal passage disappears and water can flow in. So far this unpleasant or painful sensation could only be prevented by using a so-called nose clip.

But the nose clip has several disadvantages, it is often irritating and even damaging the tissue of the nose, it is easy to loose in the act and not very attractive from an aesthetic point of view.
So, a new technique was developed to close off the nose, virtually invisible, to prevent any inflow of water regardless the position of the body.
The greatest improvement however, will be the self-confidence of the user and hence the performance, now the natural beauty and mimic of the face is back again.
The solution consists of two clear silicone rubber precision casts, tailor made for each nostril and worn inside the nose. This device is to be called the TomNoseŽ.

Insertion and removal is easy. The TomNoseŽ is moistened with saliva before being inserted and is pulled out by the fingernails while blowing air through the nose. The only maintenance required after use is to clean the TomNoseŽ with some hand-soap and put it away dry in a cloth pouch. Always store it dry!

The TomNoseŽ has been approved by the medical committee of the Dutch Association of Underwater sports and has been used successfully by commercial and professional, national and international aquatic displays.

Used by Olympic synchronized swimmers all over the world and of course the famous aquatic shows of Muriël Hermine, Disney and Cirque du Soleil, Kitty Mermaid, the TomNoseŽ is also used as a medical treatment against swimming-pool allergies and apnoea patients.

Trainees at Dutch, Canadian and India’s Navy Helicopter Training Facilities, as well as numerous sports as triathlon, bare-foot water skiing and wild water canoeing, the TomNose is used whenever the inflow of water into the nose is likely to be painful or inconvenient.

The unsightly, much hated nose clip can be thrown away:
Now the TomNose has come to stay!

Tom van der Hoff, inventor.

Remember: you have to come over to Holland if you want a Tomnose. It is not possible to order a Tomnose online.

Mermaid Caidence
06-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks! Do you know about how many mers use them?

Remember: you have to come over to Holland if you want a Tomnose. It is not possible to order a Tomnose online.

How exactly would you be able to find one?

AniaR
06-23-2012, 03:27 PM
I always stick my tongue on the roof of my mouth - I dont know how to explain it but it keeps the water out of my nose for most thing. Also, you can pinch your nose, go backwards for the flip, and let go part way. Thats what I do too because I cant just be under then do a flip, I usually need a breath first anyway

Kitty-Madison Snel
06-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi, Mermaid Cailtlin,

Yes I know exactly how many mers are using a Tomnose: three. Vicky and me in Holland, and the model you'll find at the header of my website (http://www.kitty-madison.nl) (look closely to the nose!)

Just like custom made mermaid tails, a Tomnose is made out of a mold. In case of a mermaid tail a mold of your legs, for a Tomnose your nose. Tom van der Hoff is the only one who can make them, and he lives in Maassluis, Holland (and do not try this at home!)

Sometimes, for big groups of syncro-swimmers, he visited the group on location. Perhaps, if there are more mers wanted a Tomnose, he can help you too.

A Tomnose costs around 100 Euro's in Holland. After making the mold in two weeks you will receive your Tomnose by mail.

Mermaid Jewel
06-23-2012, 10:31 PM
After a while, I've kinda learned when exactly I need to blow water out of my nose to not get it up my nose. So I can do a flip and keep swimming (but not for very long!)

Spindrift
06-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Hmm... looks at calendar/bank for free time/money to go to Holland... >.>
*sigh* no luck.

I wonder if there are any US alternatives?

Kitty-Madison Snel
06-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Hi, Spindrift,

No, there are no alternatives. Tom is the only one who can make a Tomnose. But if you find more mers who want a Tomnose, and make an appoinment somewhere in the US, Tom will come over for the group. Sometimes he do that for a group syncro swimmers.

Spindrift
06-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Wow. Maybe he would be interested in showing up for one of the conventions?

Kitty-Madison Snel
06-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Well, give it a try. ;-)

If you organize a group of mers who wanted a Tomnose, I'll talk to Tom about the possibilities and costs...

Winged Mermaid
06-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Oohhhhh it's a soft palate thing! I'd always wondered about that. I've had singing training so I can control it really well, and I guess the muscle is pretty strong. Pushing it down is easier than getting the hang of lifting it up (to sing) IMO. Going to have to to test this out soon! My nasal passages are so I constantly get water that goes right up my nose then down my sinuses and into my mouth or down the back of my throat >_<

The soft palate is a trainable muscle so the more you practice and the more you use it the stronger it will become as well as more ease of control! So while you're watching TV, in the shower, on the computer, whatever- practice closing and holding it and do reps. I did that for lifting the palate when I was learning singing technique and it helped so much!

The Tomnose sounds great! I think for merfolk conventions that would be perfect to have him come out!

Mermaid Caidence
06-25-2012, 10:50 AM
So controling the soft palate can prevent water from going up your nose? I've tried sticking my tongue to the roof of my mouth but I still get water up my nose. How exactly do you know if you are moving the soft palate?

AniaR
06-25-2012, 11:36 AM
make a motion like you're going to yawn, and your soft pallet will raise. It'll help you become aware of it and you can practice lifting and dropping.

Mermaid Caidence
06-25-2012, 12:32 PM
So water won't get up your nose when its closed?

Winged Mermaid
06-26-2012, 01:47 AM
In the article it gives a pretty good explanation actually. The "ng" "T" "P" "K" all move the soft palate down. It's a muscle in the backish of your throat but also upward instead of down. Here's a pic:

http://www.losangelessnoringandsinus.com/images/HardSoft%20Palate+Pillar.jpg

If you say or pretend like you're saying those, or holding them, you can feel the muscle that it's describing. The "ng" and "K" are the most obvious to me. Once you realize where that muscle is and get a hold of how to control it, you can work it to gain control and strengthen it. I wish I could describe it better, I know it's hard to learn about a new muscle to control that you didn't even know was there!

AniaR
06-26-2012, 07:26 AM
I cant guarantee it'll work for everyone Im just saying it works for me :)

Mermaid Caidence
06-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Ok thanks! I'll give it a try when I go to the pool next. :) I feel its going to be a painful experience....xD

MermaidAliyah
07-15-2012, 10:48 PM
@kitty-madison snel isnt that the mermaid from fishtales?

Drowning
07-19-2012, 01:00 PM
There's a technique I learned some years ago that works well, but takes a little getting used to. When you begin your swim session, kneel in the shallow end, tilt your head back, and let the water flow into your nose. DO NO EXHALE! Feel it fill up the cavity, which, yes, will be a very uncomfortable experience the first time. Come to the surface without ever having blown the water out. Once on the surface, while you catch your breath, just let the water drain out normally. Then repeat. After 2-3 tries, you will find that you can swim underwater in any position, and though water will enter your nose, you will be desensitized to the unpleasant feeling. After a while, you won't even notice it - for that swim session. Repeat each time, and it will get easier.

It's worked for me, and I'm happy to help anyone willing to try it!

Ayla of Duluth
07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't understand the soft palate thing. wouldn't closing it just keep water in your mouth from going down your throat? Closing the soft palate pushes it down, away from the nasal cavities...wouldn't that open your nose up for water to get in? :s

Thalassa
07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
No, the soft palate is above your mouth so it would keep water in the sinus from going down your throat...but for me it still doesn't help because the water stings my sinuses. I lower my soft palate all the time...used to call it "plugging my nose from the inside" so I know I'm doing it, but it doesn't help the sting.

That's why I love my nose clip! I have it clipped to my suit, and put it on just when I'm going to do a flip or roll (it takes a lot of practice to get it on and not falling off the first time, still working on that. XP). I WISH I could get some of those in-nose clips...anybody ever tried modifying some in-nose allergy filters?

Ayla of Duluth
07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I have a nose stud, so putting on a nose clip would cause the stud to stab my septum. Alternately, the silicone nose plugs that people were talking about earlier would push the stud out of the hole and I'd lose it. I'm prettymuch screwed unless I can learn to deal with the sting. Usually when water gets in my nose I feel like it goes behind my eyes, and I have to get out of the pool, put my face in a towel, and sit there until the agonizing pain goes away. =,,=

Thalassa
07-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm not familiar with piercings (except for ear lobes), but couldn't you take it out to swim? Unless it's a new piercing?

Ayla of Duluth
07-19-2012, 03:23 PM
It's new, I got it in June. It's having trouble healing though for lots of reasons, and it's got a little infection going on right now. It's slowly getting better though, but I don't know how long it would last without the stud in. I've had a vertical lip piercing for about a year now and I took it out for a job interview for a little over an hour, and the top of the puncture was closed.

Thalassa
07-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Oh, I see. That's too bad. :-(

Lyna
07-19-2012, 05:00 PM
ayla: i have tons of piercings and it sounds like maybe you have a nose bone or a fish tail stud? obviously rings would be of no help....but i have a stud in my nose you can get from a piercer/tattoo shop that is literally a small stud, mine has a gem, and it's properly gauged, but it is a long straight piece. they hold it next to your nose to measure it and use specialized plyers to bend a 90 degree angle in it accordingly. once in, it looks identical to any other cute nose stud, but there's nothing to poke into your septum, as its 90 degrees alongside the nostril. i put mine thru, then you just flick the long piece and it slips thru like a hoop and i spin it straight up and out of sight. there's no issues being in the way for anything. so a nose clip wouldnt bother it at all. hope that helps.

Ayla of Duluth
07-20-2012, 12:27 AM
I know what you're talking about, my friend does that with hers. I actually went to get a different color stud and the guy I went to charged me $15 for a corkscrew stud that I couldn't figure out how to get in. I'll see if I can get a bent one though. I honestly forgot about those kind. :)

Lyna
07-20-2012, 12:40 AM
corkscrews ie: fishtail studs are kind of a pain in the butt to get in if you aren't used to it. that's why until fairly recently the rule was always suggested to have your nose pierced on the side in which you are dominantly handed. because if you are right handed and putting a corkscrew into the left...good luck. but for some reason that i don't understand....people have stopped following this...and piercer's don't educate anymore on anything ever. it's kind of sad. but in any case, i don't think those types will help to not poke you in the septum. i haven't worn them in a good 10 years, but i remember one time i plugged my nose and it stabbed me so hard it made my nose bleed where it stabbed into.

Mermaid Caidence
07-20-2012, 05:44 PM
There's a technique I learned some years ago that works well, but takes a little getting used to. When you begin your swim session, kneel in the shallow end, tilt your head back, and let the water flow into your nose. DO NO EXHALE! Feel it fill up the cavity, which, yes, will be a very uncomfortable experience the first time. Come to the surface without ever having blown the water out. Once on the surface, while you catch your breath, just let the water drain out normally. Then repeat. After 2-3 tries, you will find that you can swim underwater in any position, and though water will enter your nose, you will be desensitized to the unpleasant feeling. After a while, you won't even notice it - for that swim session. Repeat each time, and it will get easier.

Woudn't the very first part of letting the water go up your nose be very painful?

Drowning
07-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Woudn't the very first part of letting the water go up your nose be very painful?

It is unpleasant, to be sure. It might take few tries before you allow yourself to do it. Usually, by the third time, you will be fairly desensitized. Repeating the technique each session helps. I wouldn't call it painful, but chlorine may cause a slight burning sensation the first time.

Maybe I should demonstrate it sometime.

Winged Mermaid
07-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Isn't that a good way to get a sinus infection? O_o A few times I was swimming and I was having trouble even going under without getting water up my nose, and it happened so many times my sinuses hurt and felt raw. I didn't get an infection, but I wasn't meaning to let the water up in there either. Even doing sinus rinses (like the netti pot) too often can cause sinus infections.

Drowning
07-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Isn't that a good way to get a sinus infection? O_o A few times I was swimming and I was having trouble even going under without getting water up my nose, and it happened so many times my sinuses hurt and felt raw. I didn't get an infection, but I wasn't meaning to let the water up in there either. Even doing sinus rinses (like the netti pot) too often can cause sinus infections.

I suppose it's possible, but it never happened to me, or those I swam with. My sinuses usually felt clear.

I'll have to demonstrate the technique to a few Merfolk and we can share experiences and compare notes.

Mermaid Narina
07-20-2012, 08:22 PM
I can keep water out of my nose pretty easily, but i have the problem when i do a somersault underwater that my ears pop. you know the kind of off balance feeling where one ear is clear and the other is fuzzy? its very distracting when your trying to swim, does anyone have any solutions?
oh, and backwards somersaults are better if you dont want to get water in your nose

Lyna
08-04-2012, 09:23 PM
The soft palate is a trainable muscle so the more you practice and the more you use it the stronger it will become as well as more ease of control! So while you're watching TV, in the shower, on the computer, whatever- practice closing and holding it and do reps. I did that for lifting the palate when I was learning singing technique and it helped so much!

but how do you know if you're doing it right to know the feeling to be practicing?

Lyna
08-04-2012, 09:32 PM

hmm...i noticed today i was naturally doing this. my husband and friend who owned the pool was popping up out of the water blowing water and snot all over and coughing...which is gross....i would come up highly uncomfortable from trying to do this or that and slowlyswim over to the side of the pool and just relax my nose muscles (i guess?) and all the water that had went in while under would just run out onto the wan below. it wasn't in any way fun or comfortable...but i don't think i actually swallowed or inhaled any water the entire day.
still don't want it going into my nose at all. it made things very difficult to try and attempt tricks when every time i leaned back, water poured in. ie: bubble rings. i can't blow bubble rings with bubbles coming out of my nose. then you cant see what's going on. or posing bubbleless for the camera. i get zero water up my nose while swimming or rolling or flipping even, which i guess other people have problems with. mine is the second i STOP blowing air out of my nose. then the water just comes right in. is that something you just kind of have to get used to? or can you prevent that altother without nose plugs?

Mermaid Saphira
08-04-2012, 09:36 PM
I find that clear nose plugs are useful. they are so descret and keep water out of your nose

Winged Mermaid
08-04-2012, 11:27 PM
but how do you know if you're doing it right to know the feeling to be practicing?

If I or anyone else could describe it better we would :( I'm having trouble with it too (feels like it works above water but doesn't below.. bah) and wish someone with excellent describing skills would come along!

Mermaid Lira
08-05-2012, 04:39 AM
I think I will try Drowning's technic... I've already begun to support some water in my nose (but not a lot) to be able to be at the bottom of the pool and stay on my back to do bubble circles, but when I come out of water, it really hurts my nose and I need to sneeze two or three times (very noisely) so it's not really...hum, mer-seemly X)

Thalassa
08-05-2012, 10:29 AM
I've found myself becoming able to tolerate the sting pretty well...except for the need to sneeze several times... My problem now is that some water stays on top of my soft palate (I guess) and tends to drain down my throat just when I'm trying to breathe. So I end up coughing and swallowing water a lot, not badly, just every time I come out of the water. XP

Lyna
08-05-2012, 10:53 AM
oh, mermaid problems....lol ;)

Kanti
08-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I've essentially done Drowning's technique, it works in my opinion, but it doesn't
help you not get water up your nose, it just sort of helps you get used to that
feeling so when you DO happen to feel the water get in your nose, you won't freak
out and make it hurt more. If you relax yourself and just let the water go in, you
get used to it after a while and then you can just ignore it.
I would like to try that soft pallet thing, though. It sounds legit xD

Mermaid Crystal
08-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Cool technique!

Mermaid Caidence
08-26-2012, 10:17 PM

Thank you so much! This worked great for me. I made my brother be the guinea pig and try it first, but then I tried it and it worked. I'm not sure about getting infections, but to me I think it's worth it. I've never gotten an infection, so I don't think I'll get one. It does hurt a bit the first time, but not nearly as bad as just getting water up your nose. Once again, thank you so much. :)

MermaidAliyah
08-28-2012, 11:29 PM
I just figured that you should blow bubbles out of your nose when trying tricks. I've been trying it all week

Winged Mermaid
08-28-2012, 11:39 PM
I just figured that you should blow bubbles out of your nose when trying tricks. I've been trying it all week

Well some think it looks very un-mermaidy like. You certainly wouldn't want to do that as a pro mermaid. Also if you're doing things like bubble rings (which will certainly get water up your nose) you need that air for the rings, and the extra bubbles could ruin them all together.

NerineArcticMermaid
08-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I have a flesh colored nose plug.. is metal... with rubber covering... all the clear plastic ones slide of my nose

Meghara July
09-05-2012, 09:57 PM
The soft pallet thing is a really great idea. I had just been pressing my tongue to the roof of my mouth as well, but in all honestly once you figure out the pallet thing it's a lot easier. I will absolutely be working all winter to get mine ready for the spring. :D

Capt Nemo
09-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Some freedivers fill their sinus cavities and mask with saline solution so they don't have to equalize on deep dives.

Mermaid Annariea
09-07-2012, 08:45 PM
ive always wondered if there are nose plugs that actually go in your nose (sounds awkward but hey) because then, it would either be two individual pieces that fit in your nostrils unseen, or one piece that would connect and look almost like a septum piercing. im not crazy about septums, but i think it would look better than something plugging my nose together like this. (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mAgVyk4FsyM/UB6St9GsKZI/AAAAAAAAALY/x6ajTzjGRQ0/s1600/Screen+shot+2012-08-05+at+11.32.12+AM.png) anyone know how well they work or if they even exist?

Winged Mermaid
09-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Brianna, they do exist. There's only one guy in the world who does them, and he's in Holland. It's called the TomNose, and basically he does a specialty cast of the inside of your nose and then makes silicone plugs that go up inside. I imagine the casting process could be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Kitty knows more about this and uses them, and she has some info on he site here: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.kitty-madison.com/tomnose.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtomnose%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26clie nt%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3Dmbs%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=zb9KUPSVFLCUigK444C4BA&ved=0CFYQ7gEwBw

I believe there a few hundred dollars, and of course there's the matter of getting to Holland. I know some people would pay through the nose ;) for these things. I'm hoping maybe someone can hook him in for the next convention.

Mermaid Annariea
09-08-2012, 02:25 PM
DARN IT, THAT IS GENIUS!! if only i had a few hundred dollars and a round trip to holland.
i wanna visit europe anyways. maybe one day...

Mermaid Kelda
02-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Okay, so I just need to get something absolutely straight in my head.

From what I gather it is impossible to stop water entering your nose without some sort of plug. The nose is an open hole in your head, and when you tilt your head the air trapped in your nose will escape. You can't naturally do anything to stop it entering the nasal cavity, but you can keep that water in your nose by closing the soft palate, which stops it from going down the back of your throat - you just have to get used to the sting of having the water in your nasal cavity.

Can someone more experienced confirm if this is right? Reading this thread kind of gave me mixed ideas and left me wondering over whether I've been doing it wrong all this time xD

AptaMer
02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
There's only one guy in the world who does them, and he's in Holland. It's called the TomNose, and basically he does a specialty cast of the inside of your nose and then makes silicone plugs that go up inside. I imagine the casting process could be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Kitty knows more about this and uses them,
I believe there a few hundred dollars, and of course there's the matter of getting to Holland. I know some people would pay through the nose ;) for these things. I'm hoping maybe someone can hook him in for the next convention.

I think basically the key is, it's impossible to make one-size-fits-all interior plugs for the nose, or even a range of sizes, since the exact shape is so different for each person, and many people even have different left/right nostril shapes and sizes. It seems to me what Mr. van der Hoff has done is figure out a safe casting technique to make plugs that form a seal without requiring strain on the inside to stay in place. Maybe Kitty Madison can confirm?

The Netherlands Synchronized Swimming site has some info on the TomNose in English, as well as his email address. http://www.synchroswim.nl/tomnose.html

It couldn't hurt for a convention organizeer to contact him to find out what his requirements would be for an overseas trip? Or maybe Kitty Madison could follow up?

Mermaid Wesley
02-14-2013, 04:01 PM
im a swimmer and ive become desensitized to water in my nose. its rare that it actually hurts now, it just feels sortof tickley its my opinion that you will figure it out after just being in the water enough. You get water up your nose and it hurts and then you do it again and again and it still hurts, but then tada! suddenly you realize that you arent getting water up your nose :o But you actually are, it just doesnt hurt anymore! But keep in mind that i did get a sinus infection last year from the public pool.. I think its worth it personally. *shrug* and if you have to blow bubbles, just try and do less bubbles maybe? idk... hmmmm what if you stuffed those wax ear plugs up your nose? hehe

Winged Mermaid
02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
So I'm not having much luck with keeping water out of my nose with my soft palate :P As far as I can tell, some people do it naturally, some people can learn to do it, and some people just can't do it. I may be one of those people who just can't "plug their nose from the inside". After all everyone's bodies are different. I've gotten to the point where I just let the water go up in my nose for some things. Yeah, it hurts, but I just deal with the pain. Pain for beauty, what else is new? ;)

MerEmma
02-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Next time I get in a pool I'm going to try to put my tongue to the roof of my mouth and try that. I feel like something is going on when I do it right now, but I really don't know...I'll have to see. I also will try to desensitize myself to it, but I feel like I have a huge mental block with that. xD

Echidna
05-05-2013, 08:29 AM
I can confirm the palate technique works.
Water will go into your nose, but stay there.
(I had singing training too; very useful for mers in more than one way!)

Note that just like eyes or ears submerged unprotected for a longer period of time, it can lead to an infection.
I have that problem a lot, especially in chlorinated water.

Nose plugs may be fine and dandy, but methinks they'd be a bit of a hassle to handle, for example when you're out in the ocean. And then I really dislike putting stuff in my ears and nose ;P

Aziara
05-05-2013, 09:24 AM
If you're worried about sinus infections from pool water in your nose, you could always do a neti pot when you get home to flush any nasty water out. Just be sure to use purified water (no tap water! Some very nasty microbes there) and a little sea salt (about a quarter teaspoon). It should taste like tears. Stick the spout in one nostril, breathe through your mouth, and just let it flow through. I usually switch midway to make sure both sides are clear.

Echidna
05-05-2013, 10:37 AM
great tip!
so far I've used a saltwater nosespray, but that doesn't go completely through.

I'm more concerned with my ears though, those are really sensitive and I dare not plug them.
Could one use a similar thing for rinsing the ears?
...darn microbes.

AptaMer
05-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Could one use a similar thing for rinsing the ears?
...darn microbes.

Some research has found that rinsing with diluted vinegar, about 2% or 2.5%, will protect the ears from infections. Info is here http://jcm.asm.org/content/15/5/855.full.pdf (http://jcm.asm.org/content/15/5/855.full.pdf)

Edit: That's 2% or 2.5% acetic acid by volume, you can usually get that from distilled white vinegar by diluting 1:3

(and I guess it's probably not necessary to say this, but, don't use naturally fermented vinegars like wine vinegar or cider vinegar in your ears :) )

Echidna
05-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Right.
I've prepared some eardrops now which should keep trouble out of my ears :D

Now only need to wait for swimmer spray to arrive (why isn't this sold in Europe??).

Roxanna Meta
07-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Thank you all for this thread! I tried closing my soft palate while swimming today and then just letting the water run out of my nose when I surfaced, and it did help a little. :) I guess there's no way to avoid the undignified (and rather unmermaid-like) show of water coming out of your sinuses, and when I've run out of air I have to snort it out just so I can breathe (also unmermaid-like). :P But at least I wasn't swallowing as much! And maybe when my breath hold gets better I won't have to snort like a tiny finned rhinoceros.

Echidna
07-14-2013, 05:16 AM
Lately, I've started to use a noseclip (there are translucent ones which are almost invisible :) ),
and I absolutely love them.
While they're not really needed when swimming normally, as soon as you do things like flips,
turns, underwater dolphin on the back, etc, they become invaluable.

If the clip sits correctly, no water will enter your nose at all.
The usual health problems I have after swimming are lesser too when no chlorinated water can nettle my sinuses,
so I now use them always, at least in pools.

Scilla Mermaid
08-05-2013, 04:57 AM
I am totally afraid of this!!! till i dont even dare to do a flip :headwall:

Nausicaa
08-06-2013, 12:52 AM
As a kid I used to have no problem at all with water in my nose, though when I was 16 I had septoplasty surgery to fix my deviated septum and after that I've been getting water in my nose like crazy! even turning my head upwards while I'm submerged or turning over on to my side will send a flood all the way up into my sinuses, so forget about going upside down or doing any tricks without blowing every bit of air in my lungs out through my nose. Of I do close the back of my throat (I guess I never really thought about how I did that, but the soft palate thing is exactly what it is) so water has never felt like it was going to choke me, but no matter where I am (bathtub, pool or the reservoir that I love to swim in) even the littlest bit of water up my nose makes it feel like somebody's punched me right between my eyes, I mean it really hurts, and it hurts for minutes at a time.

BUT I remember that's the mentality that I had about it when I first started opening my eyes underwater, I would always dive down as far as I could and pry my eyes open with every ounce of strength I had, so I developed this idea that no matter what I did it hurt and sucked and I didn't want it in my life and I wasn't going to do it anymore etc. Though now after doing it for so long and figuring out that you have to start with a little bit of water to let your mucus membrane adjust, now I don't even think about it as an uncomfortable thing, it's just what I do when I swim.

That's basically the same technique that Drowning described(am I the only one that finds that name ironic for someone giving others advice on what to do with their respiratory system under water lol?) , it's just for getting the soft tissue in your sinuses to adjust to the way water feels. I can honestly say that I've never even thought of that, so thank you so much for that Drowning!

Thalassa
08-06-2013, 10:03 AM
What I have trouble with is that it seems there's always a bit of water sitting on top of my soft palate when I "let go" afterwards, which chokes me. It doesn't drain out, and short of forcefully blowing my nose every time I surface I can't think of any way to avoid this. :-S It's just one of those uncomfy things you have to deal with.

Mermaid Kelda
08-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I get that too, Thalassa. Just the shape of the sinuses, I guess - water won't drain up! I either have to swallow the water (usually not the best option), or do my personal imitation of a breaching whale every time I come up for air.

Mugzie
08-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Hi... I'm kind of new.

But yeah, using your tongue against your hard and soft palette does help a little when I was doing flip turns. But I remember it was always hard to remember to do that. The nose plug/clips really help for training as far as I can remember. =)

Anahita
08-08-2013, 06:29 PM
I hum and make dolphin squeaks. Keeps the water out, the bubbles to a minimum, and when I go on my back to make bubble rings, since I'm already making a funny face by sticking my tongue out, I also pinch my nose by pointing my palms up and folding over all my fingers but my pointers, then pressing my pointers to my nostrils to close them. I can avoid pinching my nose-ring and pressing it into my septum too that way.
I really hate the look of nose plugs. I know people say that bubbles coming out of your nose ruins the mermaid illusion, but really, I have to disagree. Noseplugs (and goggles for that matter) ruin the mermaid illusion more than air leaking out of the nose.

MermaidNami
08-11-2013, 09:37 PM
okay SO I've read this whole thread. I've mastered going under and keeping water out of my nose and throat while uprght and swimming.
how on EARTH do you fill your sinuses for backflips? I tried just tilting my head back (like for bubble rings) and thought I was gonna drown. needless to say, surfacing was REALLY attractive.
any tips for backflips/fillng sinuses? is it just a practice and mental block thing?

Mermaid Kelda
08-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Yeah, basically mental block/getting used to the pain haha. After a while your body will get used to it and it won't hurt nearly as much.
Also, try blowing the water out of your nose just before surfacing; that way the bubbles will be semi-hidden from your body breaking the surface, and you'll avoid that sexy blowhole-out-the-nose image once out of the water.

Anahita
08-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Practice probably. Like I said above, I hum. That keeps the water out for me. I see some mermaids just give a slightly forceful blow to kick out some air bubbles when they begin to flip. It'll probably take a bit of practice to get the timing down for that but it evacuates the water quickly and long enough for you to finish your flip. However, if your flips take longer you'll still have some problems.

MermaidNami
08-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I used to hum, but I dont like the way bubbles look. also, I cant do bubble rings and hum at the same time....

Anahita
08-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Can't help you there then, because I barely bubble when I hum, and I can hum and bubble kiss/bubble ring at the same time (although it does definitely cut back on the number of bubble rings I can do, which is why I just pinch my nose now. More impressive to get out six rings with a funny face than three rings with nothing else going on)

Mermaid Veruliya
08-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I always get water in my nose. But the worst part is feeling if slowly drain down your throat. I want to gag, not because it hurts all that bad but because of all the chemicals and bacteria I'm swallowing >< so gross. And when I come up and water comes out of my nose, so do other germy things too, ahem, boogies. IT'S SO GROSS. I am literally the most unattractive mermaid haha it's a good thing this is just my hobby or else I could never quit my day job ;P

Kayyi
02-04-2015, 06:02 PM
I find that if you try to make the "k" sound, how it feels like you're blocking off your nasal airways, I just keep that "sound" and it prevents water from going up my nose. It will still get that little bit up the nasal passage, but it won't go down your throat and make you choke. When I resurface I always exhale a little out of my nose to make sure I don't swallow any water.

Mermaid Kelda
02-04-2015, 06:18 PM
The 'k" sound is your tongue making a seal inside your mouth - nothing to do with your soft palette.
Although you might be doing both at the same time, it's very possible to breath through your nose while your tongue is in that position.
Still worth trying for others, though, as they might find it encourages the soft palette to close like it does for you :)

On a similar note, I think I've found a definitive way to find your soft palette: if you make yourself snore a little, that's your soft palette closing and opening. If you can keep it closed, you're all good! :)

Mermaid Jaffa
02-04-2015, 07:18 PM
I tried all them ways... Even humming AND closing the roof of my mouth, nope.

In the end, I just bought a snorkel mask! Then at least I can practice blowing out bubbles through my nose and holding my breath as with regular goggles I had the tendency to inhale while underwater...

KernowMermaid
04-16-2015, 06:54 PM
This is something I struggle with too. I cant lie on the bottom of the pool to blow bubble rings and stuff without holding my nose :( I'd much rather find a technique that works than use a nose plug. I'll give a few of these techniques a try :)

Silva
04-29-2015, 09:10 AM
For backflips and the like, I just blow bubbles out of my nose, even though its very unmermaidy. As for bubble rings, though, I just deal with it, because I'm not sure how to close my soft palate.

Mermaid Jaffa
04-29-2015, 09:46 AM
I tried the humming again last week... Didn't get very far in swimming as I don't have the breath hold to swim AND hum at the same time!