PDA

View Full Version : a bad event

AniaR
06-22-2012, 06:16 PM
ugh So I worked an infuriating event today and I felt the need to share. 1 because I wanna vent, 2 because it gets so bad it's kinda funny, and 3 because maybe you'll see thats sometimes doesnt matter how prepared you are stuff just happens and you gotta ride with it.

So I did the same event last year for 3 days, it was wonderful, well organized, and a pure joy to do. I was looking forward to today and tried to be over prepared in case.

So, I got to my festival event location, and nobody knew at the 'check in' how to sign me in, where my performer bracelet was, and our parking pass. Not a huuuge deal at first since there wasnt much traffic thanks to coming super early. My bf found a spot quickly. This year I asked for a parking pass because last year we spent over an hour trying to find parking. Wanted to prevent that this year so I remembered to ask for the pass. Oh well. Didnt seem like a big deal, I was there 30 min before it opened and they were trying to get things together... shoulda been my first tip off into what Kinda day Id have!

We go to the location on the map I was told my tent, and then smaller private dressing tent would be... and there is NOTHING. To my left- a tent with a band inside it playing loud away, to my right... portapoties.... my contact person finally found me, apparently bewildered as to why there was nothing set up for me, not understanding quite how important it was I had a place to change like I did last year (was even in my contract!), annnd telling me there'd be no sound system like I was told/requested in my contract/like last year. I stare around blankly at the asphalt when they ask if it would be okay and tell me the first school group is coming soon...

So after minor freak out in my head, I take a deep breath tell them sure, thank God I brought my own chair, blanket, and yoga mat, and set to work setting up a little space. I have zero shelter, the busy loud road is behind me, and im told the band will be playing the entire time (all of 30 feet away from me). The organizer leaves telling me theyre setting up a 'back up space' (read: tent I was supposed to have) if it rains, and I ask for a tarp so kids diont have to sit on boiling ground.

NO PLACE TO CHANGE. Im not wearing a bathing suit, I am wearing my seashell top, with a thong under a skirt because thongs are way easier when doing dry events to get that sticky silicone tail up. The boyfriend decides to hold the tarp up over me and I'll change underneath it. I wasnt big on the idea since I need to see all myself and need a lot of space, the tail wont totally fit on yoga mat and I was worried about scraping it, and little light under tarp. I get one leg in, go to get the other and I fall on my hand. My nail on my middle finger rips totally OFF.There is blood pooling and squirting EVERYWHERE in my tail, on me, all over the ground. I was doing well with all the issues till that point when I looked up at my bf and choked out "first aid. now. PLEASE" so he takes off, lol me sitting under a tarp with nothing holding it up, blood totally going everywhere....

10 minutes pass.... no boyfriend. The organizer comes over apparently totally ignoring the bleeding and I ask her why my BF is taking so long, she says there IS NO FIRST AID KIT THERE YET. WHAT THE HELLLL. By LAW there has to be x amount of kits, AND EMTs working the event while people are there.

Another 5 min later poor bf finally came back telling me how utterly complacent and not understanding he actually wanted first aid the other event staff were. Get my finger bandaged which happens to be my right dominant hand, and lemme tell you it was HELL getting that tail on. I have a whole weekend of mermaid events and a birthday party in water. Cant use that hand very easily.

I finally get myself seated, everything is set up, and the kids are getting off busses. The guy from the band comes over and I can tell he's totally confused as to why they put me there. He tries to compliment me about the article yesterday but I was so off in my own world I feel bad now. My finger actually really hurt and throbbed in a you cant ignore me way (still is) and I was exhausted from the stress of the morning.

Anyway, the way the day was SUPPOSED to go was over the course of 4 hours Id have different classes visiting me. I had prepared diff things for diff grades. There was a schedule. Was it followed? Course not. Kids would be dumped in front of me then mid presentation new kids were added, then before it was done the first kids would leave and more were sat in front of me. I tried to adapt it as much as I could but I got stumped when while telling the grade 6's the somewhat gory history of sedna some 4 year olds were then placed in front of me.

I mostly got through it, but many teachers kinda checked out and kids started miss behaving. They couldnt hear me thanks to the traffic behind me and the band next to me. Though I asked frequently they not step on my tail they did it on purpose anyway and it sustained some damage, they ran off with handfuls of my rocks and shells when asked to choose ONE. I normally have my bf with me for extra support, but he had to go back to work. I dont blame the kids for being wild... something that was supposed to have order and structure didnt, and they couldnt hear me, and then IT STARTED TO RAIN.

Was I brought to this mysterious tent to get out of rain? Nope. Temp dropped to 12 degrees celcius and it poured and the last two groups had to stuff onto the tarp anyway with no shelter either. You think they gave a karp what the lady in a tail they couldnt hear was saying by this point? No way. I dont blame them. I started shaking I was so cold.

There was another performer a little way away from me who had two girls. In between things they would come visit me and were perfectly fine. For whatever reason during this last group (who also were really disrespectful but hey, I cant blame them given the circumstances) the two girls decided to climb all over me and dig trough my things which I had covered with garbage bags to keep dry (hello expensive camera)

Anyway, the 4 hours straight finally ended. I wouldnt even go back after all that except I have fans who have told me they're travelling and coming in for the open to the public (not organized school groups) tomorrow and sun. I've been told everything will be as I asked tomorrow, a tent, sound system, etc.

My finger kills way more than I thought it would, I am exhausted, getting sick from being left in the rain, and all my mermaid stuff is in a total mess after being piled up so quick. I dont even wanna THINK about getting that tail on and off the rest of this weekend. I tried to make the best of a bad situation and I think most of the kids enjoyed it. I even got the older boys involved. But wow.. made me realize how lucky ive had it to generally work with reliable staff and always have an assistant!

Cordelia
06-22-2012, 08:06 PM
What a terrible day!! I hope tomorrow is better for you and that the event organizers are better prepared. Not having a first aid kit when school groups are coming in, what? Here, that'd be a lawsuit waiting to happen. :S Also, mojo for no rain tomorrow! :D

Mermaid Jewel
06-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Wow that was horrible! Those organizers were not prepared at all...I can't imagine how much worse it could've been...

ShyMer
06-22-2012, 08:58 PM
That's terrible that they were so unprepared. You even had a contract for these things and they weren't ready for you? Wow. I wonder why they were so off this year.

I hope you heal quickly. Hand injuries are not fun :(

Spindrift
06-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Is there anything that can be done since the contract was not honored?

Mermaid Miel
06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Is there an organizer you can talk too about this? Because that's some really serious breach of contracts and lack of public safety there.

AniaR
06-22-2012, 10:05 PM
they didnt even have garbages and recycle bins set up and Im sitting here talking about recycling and there's nowhere for kids to put trash. Diff ppl were organizing the event than last year. I *am* being paid, and I already advertised so Im going to stick it out. But man I really wanna skip it now lol

Spindrift
06-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Maybe you can show them the contract for the rest of the events? Figure out what went wrong?

Princess Kae-Leah
06-23-2012, 12:00 AM
So sorry to hear that you had such a bad day dahling! It just goes to show that being a professional mermaid performer is not always as glamorous or easy as it looks.

Blondie
06-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Ouucchhh >< I guess you have some good events and some bad :\

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a small first aid kit by your side when you go to events. I mean how easily your hurt your finger. That could of been anyone you know? I think everyone can take a lesson from that. I don't know, I keep a first aid kit and a CPR mask in my car at all times. But that's probably just the life guard in me .-.

I would serious advise you dig deeper into who's running this joint. That's just really sad that they didn't have any of your stuff up. And what you said about no first aid kit and no EMT's. That just makes me ittccchhhh because if something went HORRIBLY wrong. What the heck are you going to do!?

I'm sorry Raina :\ Put some ice and bandage that finger up in some neosporin for tonight. Hopefully it'll feel better tomorrow and the event will run smoother. If not, I think you should just politely tell them that this isn't want you were told and you're not being treated rightly. If they don't fix it. Leave. You're not a slave to this, you have rights!

Alveric
06-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Any event that requires bandages is indeed a bad one.

I should tell you someday about the Battle of Shiloh reenactment of 1997. (Still gives me nightmares, dammit!)

Sea Pearl
06-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Sorry that you had a bad day :( And they were very unprepared, couldn't believe they didn't even have some kind of first aid kit. Hope your finger heals quickly too!

AniaR
06-23-2012, 08:02 AM
I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a small first aid kit by your side when you go to events. I mean how easily your hurt your finger.

That is a brilliant idea I wish I thought of. lol My finger still kills today and kept me awake throbbing. Im leaving for the event in a few, just totally not looking forward to putting the tail on and it's raining. I was told all of yesterdays problems will be fixed today, so here's hoping. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back!

AniaR
06-23-2012, 12:44 PM
it went much better today though the hand is in the way. I had a tent, had sound, had a place to change. Still didnt get parking passes... lol man

this was me yesterday just before it started to rain. Gotta love the expression

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205300_437725766262172_1608818595_n.jpg

and then me today in the tent!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/599592_437726632928752_1117290417_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229901_437726572928758_13643866_n.jpg

Cordelia
06-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Glad to hear that things went much better today! The picture of the little girl on your lap is so cute! She is definitely wearing the "best day ever!!!" smile. :D

Alveric
06-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Congrats for sticking it out. That must have been quite an ordeal! Here's hoping that was your worst event. Which will make the rest of your mermaid life easy.

lasserine
06-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Glad the next day went better for you.

Hope your finger gets better quickly.

Winged Mermaid
06-24-2012, 02:47 AM
Wow, what a NIGHTMARE! I think you're amazing for sticking with it through the first day, let alone going back for a second after what happened! Is your tail repairable? I hope there's not too much damage D: If there's a lot I think you need to take that up legally with who ever was responsible for your contract. I'm just glad the second day was a good one! You look more than a little discouraged in the first picture!

For your finger, if you can find a salve with calendula, plantain leaf, and/or comfrey that will help it heal much quicker than just neosporin. Also for future reference, cayenne (powder or extract/tincture) will stop bleeding quickly. I actually have some in my first aid kit! People have saved lives by dumping what they had in their kitchen into major wounds before heading to the hospital. The powder you of course clean it out when you clean the wound, after it's stopped bleeding. Hope you heal quickly!

Spindrift
06-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Glad to see it's gotten better! :)

New York Mermaid
06-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Goes to show all Mers have good and bad days, Glad you had a better day than that nightmare- I always say "For every one bad day you have, there will be 2 Great days coming your way.."