PDA

View Full Version : Mer-Care for Mer-Hair

Little_Orca
07-27-2011, 02:53 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Doll_Mermaid_01fromemoticonsavenue.gif
Mer-Care for Mer-Hair

Part of being a mermaid is having fabulous hair. However, swimming is not always kind to hair. Chlorinated pools, pollutants, and sea water can leave your hair feeling sticky, nasty, and well... very un-mermaid. Pool water especially can bleach the color from your hair, turn it green, and cause severe damage and can result in several inches having to be cut off.

Is there anyway to save your hair then? Yes! http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/yes2.gif

Before You Swim
There are several different things you can do to your hair before you go swimming that will help keep some of the chlorine or salt water from getting into your hair. This will not make your hair chlorine or salt water proof, but these few tricks are better than nothing for hair protection. Never put so much of the stuff reccomended below into your hair that you can see it. People will not want you swimming with them if there are visible globs of conditioner on your head.

~Put Oil In Your Hair
I don't mean motor oil of course! Something like coconut oil, olive oil, or whatever oil works best for your hair type. This will help repel some of the water and keep it from entering your hair. This works best when the hair is oiled then put into a braid.

~Soak Your Hair in Fresh Water First
If your hair is already saturated with fresh water, there will be no room for the chlorine or salt water to get into your hair. That does not mean your hair wont be weird feeling when you are done swimming like normal and that you wont need to clean it. You will, of course, but this is another method of hair protection.

~Conditioner Treatment
Another method is to perform a conditioner only wash before you get into the pool. The more cones*, the better! This will coat your hair with cones and help keep the chlorine and other chemicals out... or at least slow them down. If you do not like cones, this may not be the treatment for you or you can use a clarifying shampoo after you swim to get rid of them.

~Swimmer's Spray
Some hair companies make a spray that you can put into your hair before you go swimming to help prevent chlorine damage. While this personally has not been as effective as some of the other methods above, it is nonetheless a way to help keep your hair safe in the pool.

While You Swim
With the preventative measures done, you may think you are ready to jump on into the pool. http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/nonono.gif You have to take more measures to make sure your hair is safe from damage while you are in the water.

"But LittleOrca, that is what the stuff we just did was for, wasn't it?"

Yes of course, but in the pool you have to continue to minimize the amount of water that gets into your hair. How do you do that? I am glad you asked.

~The Swim Cap
The swim cap is one of the best ways to keep the water off your hair. While this will not keep your hair dry or 100% safe from the chlorine water, it will keep the majority of it out. This also reduces drag in the water and will make you more stream lined. Most swim caps are made from silicone, but there are a few that are latex or other material. They also come in different sizes, so make sure you get the right one based on any allergies and your hair length.

~Bunned Hair
Don't like swim caps? No problem. How about a bun? If you have waterproof hair sticks (preferable small and plastic), you can put your hair in a small bun, like a nautilus bun, and slide the stick on through. This will not keep your hair as safe from the pool or ocean water as a swim cap will, but with less surface area for the water to make contact with the better off your hair will be.

~Braided Hair
This is similar to the bunned hair method in reducing the surface area for the water to make contact with your hair. This will leave more of the hair unprotected than the bun or swim cap, but this is better than the last option.

~Free Flowing Hair
Remember when I said that you thought you were ready to just jump into the pool and I said you were wrong? Well, you can be right. I do swim with my hair free flowing in the pool or in other water, but only when I am doing videos or taking photographs of me in my tail. While I do the treatments I mentioned before this section, I will say that I have noticed my hair feels worse and takes longer to clean when it is free flowing versus even just a braid.

After You Swim
Once you are out of the pool or ocean, you need to clean your hair as soon as possible. Depending on how you protected your hair, your hair type, your length, and where you were swimming will depend on how long it takes to clean. The following are some ways to clean out your hair.

~Special Shampoos and Conditioners
There are some companies that make swim products that will remove the chlorine from your hair. As I have discovered, not all products are created equal and some products will require more of it to clean your hair than others. If you have a product that works for you, stick with it. There is no need to shop around for a new item, unless it is not cleaning your hair effectively or you are using a whole bottle each time you swim.

~ACV Rinses
Using an ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse after you swim can help to further clean out any chemicals and help to stop any damages. This, from my experience, should be used with a Swimmer's Shampoo and Conditioner not instead of it. The ACV should be diluted with water so that it helps your hair instead of harms it. [ACV should be diluted to about 1-2 tablespoons per cup of water.)

~Club Soda
For some swimmers, the use of club soda or other carbonated waters is what they prefer to an ACV rinse. It is roughly the same thing, though you do not have to dilute the club soda and it will not leave your hair with a vinegar smell (though you should rinse your hair with water after the ACV so that there is little to no smell anyways.) Be sure to get unflavored and unsweetened club soda. The last thing you need is ants in your hair.

LittleOrca's Method
This is the method by which I take care of my hair for swimming. For the sake of simplicity, assume that this is a time when I am swimming with my hair free flowing for a video shoot.

Pre-treat my hair with a combination of oil and some swimmer's spray.
Swim. (Duh. http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/th_wink.gif )
Rinse hair after swimming with water at the pool (if available, but I wash at home generally because my water is better quality).
Wash hair with Ion Swimmer's Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wash hair with Garnier Shampoo and Conditioner (or sometimes Aussie).
Rinse hair with diluted ACV.
Rinse hair with water to get rid of ACV smell.
Allow hair to air dry.

This method works well for me, someone with two-toned hair (part natural, part dyed). This may not work well for everyone and you may even need to wash more than once with the swimmer's shampoo and conditioner depending on your hair.

I hope this helps all the swimmers out there protect their hair. I know that not everything works for everyone, but these are some great places to start to keep your hair safe as you enjoy your time in the water.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Doll_Mermaid_01fromemoticonsavenue.gif

(Repost of my article on swimmer's hair from another forum I belong to about long hair care.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I mention "cones" I am not speaking about ice cream cones or what-have-you, I am speaking about the chemicals found in some conditioners that end in -cone, the big one being dimethelcone. These are the chemicals that "repair split ends" (well, all they do is put a chemical coating over your hair [think Teflon] and give your hair the appearance of repaired ends; the only way to repair a split end is to cut of off) and repeated use of them can cause build-up in your hair, which is why they make clarifying shampoos.

Mermaid Sirena
07-27-2011, 08:07 PM
What would you suggest for someone with say an entire head of hair dyed turquoise? Would those products strip the color and and cause it to fade sooner? Don't suppose you would also have any tips on how to make hair grow faster? Thank you so much for posting this <3 I am bookmarking it and keeping for reference! Maybe this should be sticked (or posted or what ever) to keep it at the top for future mers to find after it's been around a while so that people don't keep asking the same question that are answers here. Just a thought :D

Little_Orca
07-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I cannot tell you really about stripping hair, other than it can turn your hair to straw or mush. I know of two great hair forums where you can get that information. If you want to message me later I will send you the links.

As for hair growth, nothing will really make your hair grow faster. Tons of things promise, but for the most part they are shams. What you CAN do is make your hair stronger. Taking vitamins such as MSM and Biotin are great for your hair. So is eating right and exercise (since increased blood flow will increase nutrients taken to your hair's root.) After making these changes, sometimes people claim their hair grows faster. What is actually happening is that the hair is growing at it's optimum rate. In general, that rate is about 1/2 an inch per month or 6 inches a year. For some people it is about an inch a month and it all boils down to genetics. Also, cutting wont make it grow faster. That cutting does it thicken the hemline so that you get an illusion of more hair growth because the hem is thick not because the hair is actually growing faster.

New York Mermaid
07-29-2011, 10:03 PM
@Mermaid Serena I heard, but dont know if its actually true, imactually in the process of experimenting with it now: Mane & Tail (bought it at Duane reade) Is good to use, I bought the shampoo and the conditoner. If i see any change ill let you know, but it makes your hair super soft and silky

New York Mermaid
07-29-2011, 10:13 PM
@Mermaid Serena I heard, but dont know if its actually true, imactually in the process of experimenting with it now: Mane &amp; Tail (bought it at Duane reade) Is good to use, I bought the shampoo and the conditoner. If i see any change ill let you know, but it makes your hair super soft and silky

Mermaid~Emi
03-25-2012, 08:04 PM
What products would you recommend for Mers with dandruff?

ShyMer
04-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Bump!

So today I learned about the no shampoo method for cleaning hair. I'm getting to the point where my hair feels like shampooing and conditioning isn't doing much for me. I have bad hair days all the time now, and I have this weird texture on the top of my head, like there's oil there that the shampoo isn't getting out. Or something. I don't know what it is, but it feels less than fantastic.
I like the idea that I'll be working with the natural oils in my hair, as opposed to stripping them out each time I wash it. I also like using fewer chemicals in my hair, which are probably the source of my hair problems anyway.

My next thought was how am I going to take care of my hair in the pool? I suppose I could make use of oils and such to seal my hair, and I could probably use conditioners to help, but I just don't know.

Does anyone here have experience with the no poo method and how to keep it in good shape through swimming season? I realize that if I go shampooless, I'm going to have to stick with it for a couple weeks until my hair balances itself out.

MermaidRaegan
04-19-2012, 12:23 PM
My mother used to bleach her hair with peroxide, and she would cover her hair in baby powder and let it sit for a few hours before washing it out. She says it cleaned it out without damaging it even more.

Mermaid Sirena
04-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Little_Orca Could this article be reworked a little and used in Tail Flip magazine?

Sea Pearl
04-28-2012, 12:53 PM
All this information has been very helpful to read. Thanks for posting it! Having great mer-hair is important:)

Mermaid Harmony
11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I have bright pink hair, and I haven't been able to hold in dye lately in my hair, it's come out slowly each time. However, before I swim I rinse my hair in normal water and put in a leave in conditioner and then braid it and that seems to help. I condition the heck out my hair because I dye it and swim. My poor hair. I'm not sure if my color doesn't stick much anymore because we peroxide'd it blonde in August and so now it won't take color, or because of the pool. I did do a protein filler and my hair feels much better.
Food for thought.

Mermaid Azira
11-02-2012, 06:40 PM
I have a similar problem to Harmony. I havent swam since like August. In September I got my tips bleached then dyed pink. A stylist did it. I bought the shampoo she said to get. I waited two days before showering. When I showered it all faded out. So I call the people and they say come back. So I go back and they re-dye it so that it will last longer by tinfoiling, steaming, flat-ironing, re-steaming, re-flat-ironing. It lasts two weeks and is gone. So whats up with my hair?

Arella
07-30-2014, 01:46 PM
I know this is an old thread but does anyone have that link to that form for long hair? I can't seem to find it :(

Mermaid Jaffa
12-09-2014, 07:46 PM
I put olive oil in my hair before my swim last week... So glad to report that it does work!

I had tried sunscreen the week before and my hair still ended up a little crunchy after my swim.

I oiled my hair in the morning after I ate my breakfast, then let it soak the whole morning. It did feel greasy when I was in the pool change rooms. Didn't wash it out till after my swim. My hair felt so soft, silky and shiny!

Oh the olive oil I bought is a 100% pure cold pressed as I read this kind has more stuff that is good for you. Couldn't find it in the Cooking Oil section of my grocery shop, but I did find it in the Salad Dressing section.

Vrindavana Starfish
12-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Olive oil is supposed to be excellent, and I might try it for swimming. It's way too heavy for me to use otherwise, so I've always used coconut oil.
Since I've only been swimming one day a week, here's what I've done, which has worked wonderfully for my classic-length superfine hair (long enough to sit on):

Night before I swim - I thoroughly oil my hair from roots to ends, paying extra attention to ends. I do this weekly whether I swim or not, and I recommend it to anyone with damage-prone hair. I sleep with it in a braid.

Before I swim - detangle and thoroughly wet hair. Not dripping, but wet all over. I use a spray bottle. Then I put in some Everyday Shea conditioner. This stuff is light in texture, but seems heavy on hair. Normally it leaves my hair looking lank and greasy, but it's perfect for swimming. If you can't find that, use a conditioner you like. I braid my hair and either put it in a bun, or wrap the braid around my head and pin in place. This is how you get butt-length hair in a swim cap.

After swimming: Wash the chlorine out of your hair asap. Don't let it sit there. I don't have a good swim shampoo yet, but if I have soda water, I'll rinse with that. I wash with my normal sulfate-free shampoo mixed with baking soda. Then I condition the ends, rinse, and spray diluted apple-cider vinegar through my hair. I like to spray it so I'm not wasting a bunch. A bottle of the stuff lives in my shower.

You can leave the vinegar rinse in if you like. The smell goes away as it dries. Or you can rinse it out with cool water after a few minutes.

After the shower: I take a tiny bit of coconut oil and run it through the ends and let my hair air-dry. I'll only finger-comb it wet.

Mermaid Jaffa
12-09-2014, 08:36 PM
My hair is short and chemical dyed. I used to put a leave in conditioner but keep forgetting to bring it with me, so I use a tiny bit of the colored hair conditioner. My shampoo and conditioner I bring, is the same brand and type that I use at home. Its for colored hair.

When I'm washing my hair at the pool, I scrub and massage my scalp for 5 mins. Then when I put on the conditioner, I leave it in for 10 mins before I wash my hair.

Nereid's Looking Glass
01-19-2015, 01:03 AM
Kinda an old thread but everyone needs to try L'Anza hair products and SheaMoisture. Not at the same time, of course, but I've been using the SheaMoisture Yucca & Baobab for strength and length for awhile now and it's really growing out my hair right smart! And mom uses L'Anza Strength line (blue bottle) with manuka honey, white tea, and neem oil. She constantly dyes her hair, with L'Anza, but she hasn't experienced as much loss. My non-mer dad is also using a dark blue bottle for his psoriasis on his scalp. Been using it for 2 weeks now and he swears by it.

@Mermaid Jaffa, looks like you're in New South Wales which means you might not be able to get some of these products. Would you mind telling me a little bit more about your hair and the brand you use? Maybe we could mail you some L'Anza samples?

Mermaid Jaffa
02-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Kinda an old thread but everyone needs to try L'Anza hair products and SheaMoisture. Not at the same time, of course, but I've been using the SheaMoisture Yucca & Baobab for strength and length for awhile now and it's really growing out my hair right smart! And mom uses L'Anza Strength line (blue bottle) with manuka honey, white tea, and neem oil. She constantly dyes her hair, with L'Anza, but she hasn't experienced as much loss. My non-mer dad is also using a dark blue bottle for his psoriasis on his scalp. Been using it for 2 weeks now and he swears by it.

@Mermaid Jaffa, looks like you're in New South Wales which means you might not be able to get some of these products. Would you mind telling me a little bit more about your hair and the brand you use? Maybe we could mail you some L'Anza samples?

Thanks but its fine.

I now use 100% cold pressed coconut oil and JJ Baby Shampoo. I oil my hair early in the morning and let it soak for a few hours. My hair still quite short from the last haircut, so I only use a little bit of oil. Coat hair and massage into roots. I don't wash it out before I get in the pool. I leave it in. Then go for my after lunch swim for about 2-3 hours, then wash out with baby shampoo when I'm ready to leave. My hair is very soft and shiny!

SeaGlass Siren
02-07-2015, 11:42 AM
So i've been using the arbonne FC5 line for your hair for about a year now. i then recently went back to using my old drugstore product pantene when i was visiting my mom because she still likes to keep my old washroom stocked in case i ever come to stay the week (aw, mommy <'3)

what i found was that... pantene actually sucks in comparison. my hair felt so freaking heavy like i just slathered oil on it and i started breaking out all over my back and my face. and there would be a lot of build up so my hair would get even MORE oily. gave me nasty dandruffs too. When i went back home and used the arbonne shampoo my hair felt so much cleaner and i didnt have to rewash my hair the next day (i usually rewash my hair once every two days and i only use the lather and rinse method as opposed to the lather, rinse, repeat method). i stopped breaking out and didn't have the dandruffs too.

and the only time i use their conditioner is if i'm at the pool. i leave it in for 5 minutes and rinse it out with warm-cold water.

also, super love using olive oil for the tips.

SeaGlass Siren
02-07-2015, 11:48 AM
http://www.topsalon.co.za/images/angel-professional-shampoo.jpg

The angel shampoos and conditioners work LIKE. A. BOSS. it'll keep your hair SUPER SUPER SOFT

Nereid's Looking Glass
02-10-2015, 06:33 PM
I need to head to my local co-op and get me some hibiscus something-or-the-other, coconut oil, and manuka honey for a DIY hair mask. Never tried coconut oil directly in my hair but I feel, now that I'm growing it out, it needs a lot more moisture for the ends. Some castor oil should help it grow faster too.

I tell you what, but Pantene and Garnier are some of the worst brands that exacerbate my acne on my face and back. They're heavy in sulfates, which strip your natural oils and make your scalp overcompensate, and waxes, which clog your pores. I switched to Dove and my hair was softer and less oily overall (Garnier and Pantene were weighing my hair down), but a lot of the damage had already been done on my back (even on my chest!) and even Dove can't hold a candle to the SheaMoisture and L'Anza products I'm using now.

Little_Orca
02-11-2015, 05:01 AM
Woo! This thread is still going. Nice. :)

So, sorry I have not checked in on it. If anyone still has questions, I will try to help, but since it has been so long I figure more people foudn their answers elsewhere?

And sure, this can be reworked and put in a magazine (if that is still an option.) I can work on it sometime, but just let me know.

Further, my brands have changed a little as I am always looking for what works best on my hair, but that is part of the fun of long hair. Constant experiments. :D

Mermaid Freyja
02-11-2015, 04:05 PM
I'll also add that the Ion swimmer's shampoo/cond/leave in spray, is pretty great at keeping my light blonde locks from turning green.
Doesn't do much to keep my occasional pink hair color from fading out, and I notice that sometimes it will make my hair feel like it has an odd coating. As if I didn't rinse it out well enough, but that's probably the conditioning spray. Anyone else experience this? It's great before getting into the pool though.
I totally want to try that Angel hair care line SeaGlass posted earlier in the thread. My hair needs the moisture!
xoxo

AniaR
02-11-2015, 08:03 PM
I dont think people fully "get" just how bad the local pools bleach my hair. I take every measure possible to protect my hair, but I am just in the chlorine that much. I have even cut my hair to a pixie cut twice during my mermaiding career to cut off all the dead hair. Every once in a while I redye it back to my natural auburn (though the red tends to pop thanks to the bleach) but it rarely lasts through a swim or two. I get an unintentional ombre effect. I haven't dyed my hair since November...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10978645_10155252812575425_6748658870367765339_n.j pg?oh=ab0619a5c4f03f47751cdc683d84cb26&oe=55512758&__gda__=1431186471_365180a2001d631ae2e7cb17582976a 9

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10959883_10155252811480425_9031306468263756071_n.j pg?oh=2cab0597c5f8b1428f71fc4f646641c2&oe=559445CB&__gda__=1431072989_83e299374a1e18823fb5f9db4f92dec d

I am not naturally blonde in any way shape or form. Or even light haired. I try to dye it to match close to my original. Because of the bleach it always turns out a brighter red (unless I go to a salon and get a filler then it's a darker auburn)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10978589_10155252813885425_2181866951445212516_n.j pg?oh=8da1e5699be589873f31dab1f7a93dd7&oe=558E44A1&__gda__=1431220702_2b930e34244e90aba6f787864c240f9 3

This is a photo of me (little me!) from 2006 with my natural hair so you have a sense...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/196035_19337795424_2494_n.jpg?oh=b6b41ffe07380e448 9ac0f14e382e7f4&oe=55520D95&__gda__=1431974158_be2379ea3724b1adf652971eb43bae9 6

It's always brighter like that in the summer, then more like this in winter:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1929932_48959120424_9913_n.jpg?oh=dbfa9aa69162ee62 047190388acb0100&oe=554C91A6&__gda__=1431259534_8ed8eaed29edca9855361c81cdbd9da 2

Since I have started mermaiding I don't feel that my hair grows at all.

This underwater pic from 2011 is about as long as I was able to keep it as a mermaid before it started breaking and falling out all the time

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/180969_10150420615205425_6684875_n.jpg?oh=efd9bdbc b2637c5dd2e0f0775480040f&oe=5561DB4D

I had a hair dresser convince me once to go blonde to "embrace" it and well, it didnt really suit me... (2011)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/196893_10150453617505425_1027906_n.jpg?oh=ecee57d3 30bb38645d1026466ee17d53&oe=5552D6BC&__gda__=1435893613_acd66c527078867f927289d3b2696f7 9

Blonde was hard to keep up with the roots and my hair got worse and worse. (more 2011)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/266668_10150722157865425_7825749_o.jpg

Chopped it all off and went back to red when I visited Raven in very early 2012

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/v/t1.0-9/559388_10151603943425425_690908133_n.jpg?oh=02b216 f79674db912d83b25ecbcee304&oe=554813B9&__gda__=1431244267_a75e07a27c07424905960d33944e960 b

I HAVEN'T CUT IT SINCE! (beyond normal dead end control etc)

Mimi's wedding this past July, not a whole lot of growth for over 2 years

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10360558_10154452940300425_1239551684239410700_n.j pg?oh=8a87ad29bad98238db2bbd5fde953ca6&oe=558D9681

Here's an example of what 1-2 swims does to the color...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10679710_10154782858395425_5212655597020126574_o.j pg

But yes, here we are. Unintentinally back at blonde with dye on my head tonight.

The only thing I can think of it to go to a darker brown or even black and then maybe put a bit of red over the top so I still feel like "me" with red tones but perhaps the black or brown will stick better.

I dont *want* to dye my hair so much I just cant stand how destroyed it looks when it goes blonde. I think it washes out my features and I look to much like my mother and I just want my normal auburn lol.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-11-2015, 08:43 PM
I had my hair dyed a dark chocolate color, my natural hair color is black with streaks of silver. After one swim, the chemical dye started to fade. I think with any type of hair dye its going to fade and ruin even faster from chlorine. Not so sure about salt water, haven't swam in a salt water yet. And crunchy!

Does your hair go crunchy, Raina? Sometimes it feels like I've got a dried up bird's nest at the back of my head where I've missed applying coconut oil. Even though I've been very thorough with putting oil in it.

AniaR
02-11-2015, 09:19 PM
yeah, well the only reason I dye hair at all is because the chlorine bleaches it to white. If it didnt do that I wouldnt dye it lol. it goes crunchy when it dries, mushy when wet, constantly hard to comb no matter how much oil I use or products. Always doing repair masks, always doing preventative stuff. tried all dyes (under hair dresser supervision), from box to salon, hennah to veggie. nothing sticks.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Bald mermaid?

Though if you ever find a real fin cap, we'd like to know too!

Prairie Mermaid Jamie
02-12-2015, 01:48 AM
While my hair damage is from constantly dying it and not from the pool (my pool here is very light on chemicals) I have learned a few things over the last 16 years.
The less chemicals in the dye, the less time itll last.
Red is the worst color for dying because it fades the fastest. Some Natural red dyes are actually made with crushed bug carcass, same thing they use in ketchup.
There is also no such thing as permanent dye. The hair cuticles dont open enough for the hair to be permanently altered at the core.
Dont waste money on manic panic or other vegan dyes if you swim alot. Vegan dyes dont open the cuticle, so its moreso painting the hair.
How you dye your hair affects how long it lasts. If you dye it while its room temp it wont last as long as if you warm it up under tinfoil or plastic. Keeping it wet the whole time is better then letting it dry. It cant soak up the dye in the cuticles unless its wet. Tinfoil or plastic wrap and a blowdryer help keep it warm so it soaks in better. Dont dye overly damaged hair. It only makes it worse. Especially boxed hair dye. It has the most extra crap in it.
Toner can help. It keeps the pool water from drastically changing the color so quickly. Its what kept my hair white for two years. Its a purple color. Hair care products for blondes usually have it too.

Hot oil treatments can help but it gets to the point where there is nothing you can do but cut it off. Crunchy hair is a very bad sign. The best prevention is for your scalp. It is what feeds your hair. Uv protection is also very helpful. Any heat at all opens up the cuticle and allows the color to come out and all the crap in the atmosphere in. Shampoos that dont really lather are better then ones that do. The lather is what strips your hair, bad stuff and good. Thats why hair feels gross and stringy when washed but not conditioned.

My personal method: coconut oil on dry hair and the whole scalp and let it soak in for 10-15 minutes. I rub chips of it on instead of melting it.
I use Wen, not shampoo unless my hair is actually dirty (then I use ag smooth aragon shampoo). I condition with a combo of Redken extreme anti snap hair mask and AG sleek aragon conditioner and let it soak. I rinse both with lukewarm water. When I get out I dunk my head into ice cold water to seal the cuticles shut.
to dry it off I gently squeeze the hair ends with a towel. Dont rub!. I use more redken extreme anti snap leave in mixed with ag aragon leave in and healthy sexy hair leave in with cocoa butter. Detangle with a wide tooth comb. I use my hair straightener when its finally air dry and spray a light mist of leave in conditioner then a quick slide with the straightener to help seal it it. The heat opens the cuticle to let in the conditioner but the pressure keeps them shut. My hair is almost waist length and very thin but in fantastic shape considering all I do to it. Before I swim I rinse my hair with ice cold water in the sink, shampoo and condition when done at the pool, the to the sink for more cold water.. Ive been swimming alot in the last 6 months and so far my hair is in the same shape it was before I got my tail. It takes a very long time to heal hair. It took me over two years to get from the mushy, delicate, sneeze-and-it-falls-out hair to somewhat healthy. Without having to hack it all off. I bleach my bang area to white to wear my lace front wigs and its just as healthy as the non bleached rest of it. I get a trim every couple months and thats about it.

Dont know if this will help anyone but it works for me. :)

Mermaid Jaffa
02-12-2015, 05:06 AM
I didn't have crunchy hair when my hair wasn't dyed. I'm going to let it fade, then if I feel it makes a difference in having dyed or un-dyed chlorine hair, I'll get it redone. Except this time, I'd like to try a henna dye.

AniaR
02-12-2015, 06:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your routine I honestly already do very similar. *sigh* just the nature of the beast I think!!

Prairie Mermaid Jamie
02-12-2015, 12:25 PM
One day someone will invent something to put in hair before swimming that blocks the chemicals from coming in and will make a fortune.
When I get some extra cash im gonna try to attach a wig to a swim cap. Arda wigs now has a canadian store so no brokerage! Their wigs are amazing in and out of water.

AniaR
02-12-2015, 12:34 PM
I've heard good things about adra. I know Hannah has short hair but she always wears extensions in the water. I wish I could figure out something like that. Chop off some dead hair and get good extensions lol

Prairie Mermaid Jamie
02-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Id like to know what she uses. My hair extention cant survive a pool so I went with synthetic.

Mermaid Strega
04-09-2015, 12:05 PM
I didn't have crunchy hair when my hair wasn't dyed. I'm going to let it fade, then if I feel it makes a difference in having dyed or un-dyed chlorine hair, I'll get it redone. Except this time, I'd like to try a henna dye.

Henna is amazing. I used body art quality henna (with no metals or chemicals in it) to glaze my already red hair. I've never had issues with fading and it's been glossed for over a year. I'm not sure how it will do when exposed to chlorine for long periods though.

Theobromine
04-10-2015, 03:17 AM
I second the henna love. I just want to point out, though, in case not everyone is aware, that there is a HUGE difference between body art quality (BAQ) henna, and henna that you find in a salon that's actually sold as hair dye. DON'T USE THE STUFF SOLD AS HAIR DYE. Ironic, I know, but BAQ henna is MUCH purer and finer, just higher quality in general. It doesn't contain metallic salts or other ingredients that can harm your hair or react negatively with other types of dyes. It doesn't just sit in the hair shaft, it actually forms a permanent bond with the keratin in your hair, which actually strengthens the hair shaft. I actually started using henna just as a conditioner, but I ended up loving the color of it too. I've never experienced fading, I just have to touch up my roots now and then, and I swear the henna actually makes my hair grow faster (stimulates the scalp or something? I dunno). Just, I used to have such problems growing my hair and keeping it long, and now it grows like a flaming weed and I have to keep trimming the ends just so I don't sit on it all the time. I'm definitely a henna addict for life. I'll post a picture of it later if anyone's interested. Here's a really good informational site with how-to's and an explanation of the science of henna: http://hennaforhair.com/ I encourage anyone to check it out who's looking for a natural, permanent red hair dye/conditioner. I can't sing its praises enough.

Mermaid Strega
04-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Have you had the henna react at all to the chlorine? I'm a natural red head but I use henna to brighten it up a bit. (Dire need of a root touch up myself!) I used henna from mehandi. It's wonderful!

Miyu
04-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Bald mermaid?

*pokes head in* actually, this is one reason I went bald... No matter how well I take care of my hair, it likes to get damaged sooo easily (and I hardly swim!). Couple that with my love for funky hair colours and it means my head is covered in mushy cotton-candy hair. Plus I have this chronic hereditary scalp problem my physician's trying to help me treat, and having hair only makes it worse (especially in my climate - rainforest = constantly humid)... So I am actually a bald mermaid, heehee :cool:

(I'm going to "bic" my head for the first time this weekend, yay! Got those pesky moles removed!)

MermaidAine
10-02-2015, 05:17 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share this with those of you that love your mermaid colored hair. I just discovered this line and ordered a trial size of the extreme red to see if it helps keep my red in a bit longer than normal. I will let you all know how it I like it.

http://overtone.co/products/daily-conditioner-sample-set

Mermaid Freyja
10-15-2015, 11:59 AM
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share this with those of you that love your mermaid colored hair. I just discovered this line and ordered a trial size of the extreme red to see if it helps keep my red in a bit longer than normal. I will let you all know how it I like it.
http://overtone.co/products/daily-conditioner-sample-set

Oooh, that stuff looks interesting, thanks for sharing Mermaid Aine!
Though I'm blonde I don't have platinum blonde hair currently, and it's probably a bad idea to try it again for now.
But the pastel or vibrant options in the pink shade may be a good way to keep my pink color from fading so drastically after each swim.
xoxo

AniaR
10-16-2015, 10:42 PM
I never did share this here, interview with my master stylist while she works on my hair about mermaid hair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eydMz_gMhh4

Mermaid Jaffa
10-23-2015, 02:34 AM
I started using Sukin Purifying Shampoo and Conditioner, not a 2 in 1 btw, just too lazy to type it twice! My hair feels nice and soft now. No longer feeling the crunchy hair, even when I didn't go for a swim. I think it was the shampoo I had previously used that made my hair go all funny. Yet to use it at the pool after my swim, I put it into two small bottles so I have the same shampoo and conditioner, and not using two different brands for after swims and at home hair care. And I got Shea Butter Whip Cream Leave in Conditioner.

The Sukin and Shea butter brands are paraben, sulfate and chemical free.

Seraphina Suds
10-23-2015, 10:53 AM
I found this product line in a beauty supply store. Has anyone every tired it?

I also picked some up, but my hair isn't water damaged really, so I wouldn't know if it helped. Maybe next summer haha.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Vrindavana Starfish
10-23-2015, 12:23 PM
I found this product line in a beauty supply store. Has anyone every tired it?

I also picked some up, but my hair isn't water damaged really, so I wouldn't know if it helped. Maybe next summer haha.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

YES! I love it! It's the only one I found that was definitely sulfate free, and I like that it's vegan and cruelty free too. It smells heavenly, and my hair feels like silk after. I only have the shampoo - I wanted to test it out before buying it all, but I'll be ordering the conditioner as well.

They have another line for people dealing with hard water. I wish I'd found it years ago, but the swimmers wellness will also work for that. At least it is for me.

Mermaid Inokw
11-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Thank you so much!This helped me a lot!:)

AniaR
11-24-2015, 08:29 PM
sorry for the repost, trying to put this everywhere as a resource for people

here's my vlog about wigs, with clips of using it underwater!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDyd-WnYBM&feature=youtu.be

Mermaid Strega
12-14-2015, 12:25 PM
As a follow up to something I posted awhile ago: henna. I'd asked about the effects of chlorine on BAQ henna and so far I haven't seen any! I swim 2-3 times a week in a pool with varying levels of chlorination. My hair still gets a little dry, but nothing extreme. The henna has not faded, and has not been bleached out or changed color. For mers who want to stay redheads, you may want to consider henna. Any other henna heads have other experiences?

KayNS
12-14-2015, 07:15 PM
As a follow up to something I posted awhile ago: henna. I'd asked about the effects of chlorine on BAQ henna and so far I haven't seen any! I swim 2-3 times a week in a pool with varying levels of chlorination. My hair still gets a little dry, but nothing extreme. The henna has not faded, and has not been bleached out or changed color. For mers who want to stay redheads, you may want to consider henna. Any other henna heads have other experiences?

Thanks for sharing this. I'm currently rocking what I think is my natural colour (I haven't seen it in about 15 years). If I ever go back to being a redhead (very likely), I was considering henna, so this is great info.

Mermaid Strega
12-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Make sure you only do body art quality henna to avoid any metals and such that might not have such a good response. :)

KayNS
12-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Make sure you only do body art quality henna to avoid any metals and such that might not have such a good response. :)

Yes, for sure. I'm a hair-henna veteran. http://hennaforhair.com/is a fantastic resource where I learned a lot! I buy my henna from an Indian grocer and it's the pure green powder meant for body art. The henna that's sold "for hair" is the stuff you have to watch out for, ironically.

Mermaid Strega
12-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Yup exactly! That's my main resource too haha. I always try to mention BAQ just in case someone is new to henna and doesn't know there is a difference. :)

Theobromine
12-15-2015, 01:51 PM
I'm a henna-head! Been hennaing my hair for at least 5 years now, I think (this reminds me I need to do my roots, haha). You guys beat me to posting about BAQ henna and avoiding the stuff that says it's meant for hair, good to know others are doing this! I also always recommend BAQ henna because not only is it completely permanent--as you can read about on hennaforhair.com, the dye molecule lawsone actually forms a permanent bond with the keratin in your hair--it actually strengthens the hair shaft because of this bond. So it's pretty much the only dye that's actually GOOD for your hair. But it is a commitment, because you can't even bleach it out if you decide you don't like it. Then again, I never even wanted to be a redhead (natural brunette) but I loved the effect of henna so much I've stuck with it. My natural color is dark enough that my hair doesn't look bright red, but the henna gives it an auburn tone that absolutely glows in the sun. I love it. I need to get an updated length shot, too :)

Mermaid Strega
12-15-2015, 07:59 PM
I did manage to bleach it out once just FYI and I wouldn't recommend it. I used sun in treatment 3 times over the course of a couple weeks. It was pretty rough after. >.< I wanted to go back to my natural strawberry. That lasted like 3 months and I hennaed again. My hair, and I, are much happier! Do you find your hair grows faster with henna? I'm pretty sure mine does.

Vrindavana Starfish
12-16-2015, 02:38 PM
The growing faster is probably due to less breakage, since henna makes your hair stronger. I noticed a big difference is how much stronger my hair was after doing a couple of henna/cassia glosses on my head. Thinking of doing another one with more henna this time. Not sure. Still undecided if I want to be more golden or more strawberry.

Mermaid Strega
12-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Oh! That's probably true actually. I didn't think about that. Personally if you aren't sure I'd go with the lighter choice because you can always henna again to darken it but can't always go lighter.

The Magic Crafter
02-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Okay.. I know this thread is pretty old, but I found something in a magazine that reminded me of all of you chlorine-treading mers (I'm mostly freshwater...! :phew: ), and I thought it could prove helpful? Maybe? I have yet to try this... but if anyone is open to experiments... There is a clip in an article that says to mix up a paste out of a Quarter sized amount (U.S.A. Quarter, that is) of a clarifying shampoo (like the Paul Mitchell #3) with 1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda, and apply over wet hair after every couple of swims. And then wash your hair with your regular shampoo.

Sounds like it's supposed to really help work the chlorine out? I'm not sure if it work better than what you all already do or not, but I saw it, and thought it wouldn't hurt to share it. :) (For citation's sake...It is out of Redbook Magazine's July of 2014 issue, on page 58, and was recommended by Eileen Kantor of "Pompadours Hair Salon.")

Vrindavana Starfish
02-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Yeah I'll use baking soda mixed with my shampoo after I swim if I don't have my swimmer's shampoo. It works. The thing is, the baking soda screws up your scalps ph levels, so it's best to do an apple cider vinegar (diluted) rinse after the baking soda to bring the ph back to where it should be. Also, the ACV rinse leaves your hair shiny and tangle-free. If you can't take the smell (which goes away when your hair dries) then leave the ACV rinse on for a minute or so and rinse with fresh water. I use about 2 tbsp ACV to a cup of filtered water for the rinse, and keep it in a spray bottle in my shower.

HamptonsMermaid
02-06-2016, 06:35 AM
Just wanted to share my favorite hair saver: the Tangle Teezer! There are stories about mermaid's hair brushes having magical powers and I think this is the brush they were talking about. Hardly any hair breaks or comes out and it takes me less than 2 mins to detangle my super thick hip high hair after swimming. With regular brushes detangling took forever it was driving me crazy! I always usually french braid my hair when in the water, but when it comes to mermaiding nothing feels or looks better than long a flowing mermaid mane. Now I'm not afraid of the post swim detangle battle. I loved this brush so much I got it for all the girls in my family for Christmas this year (like 20 brushes!) Oh where was this brush when I was a child screaming in tears as my mom yanked her way through my hair?! Find it on ebay for only $10 vs. the $20+ on their website.

Winged Mermaid
02-06-2016, 07:14 AM
While the tangle teaser is great for detangling, the way it treats one's hair varies from person to person. People in long hair groups can discuss this at length, haha :P For me it was amazing becuase it didn't pull as many hairs (I have a shedding issue due to chronic health issues) BUT it damaged my ends a lot over time. I hadn't changed anything else about my hair products/routines, just fyi. I had to have 5 inches cut off just to get rid of the worst damage.

Some people say it's like a miracle for their hair, others say it caused a lot of damage and a breakage. Everyone's hair is different. Some people's hair like cones and some don't, some folks their hair doesn't like coconut oil while others rave about it, ect. So just be aware that it could go either way, and to pay attention to what your hair likes and doesn't like :)

HamptonsMermaid
02-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Aww sorry about your 5 inches! I had to have 6 cut off at the end of one summer and that's when I really started researching long hair health. I've grown back the 6 inches+ now and it's so much healthier! But I still get a lot of split ends. Taking biotin daily and sitting patiently for a few more years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vrindavana Starfish
02-08-2016, 07:31 PM
While the tangle teaser is great for detangling, the way it treats one's hair varies from person to person. People in long hair groups can discuss this at length, haha :P For me it was amazing becuase it didn't pull as many hairs (I have a shedding issue due to chronic health issues) BUT it damaged my ends a lot over time. I hadn't changed anything else about my hair products/routines, just fyi. I had to have 5 inches cut off just to get rid of the worst damage.

Some people say it's like a miracle for their hair, others say it caused a lot of damage and a breakage. Everyone's hair is different. Some people's hair like cones and some don't, some folks their hair doesn't like coconut oil while others rave about it, ect. So just be aware that it could go either way, and to pay attention to what your hair likes and doesn't like :)

Ditto this.

I love my tangle teezer, but I also use a wooden wide-tooth comb and a bamboo wooden pin brush. I'll detangle with the comb first and then go through with the tangle teezer usually because I find that I'm tempted to be less gentle with the tangle teezer otherwise.

Anyone used Acure Organics shampoo? I just got the argan oil shampoo because my usual stuff has started to make my scalp break out.

HamptonsMermaid
02-08-2016, 07:38 PM
You're right Tangle Teezer can be tempting to smash right through the detangling process, but if you're gentle and work from the ends up it's still fast.

The Argan Oil Organics is what my BF and I use! It's been great, though I swear he picked the Argan oil one bc the bottle is his favorite blue turquoise color... Recently though his scalp has been really dry (mine's fine), not sure if it's the traveling between Caribbean tropics anD NY winter or if he needs another shampoo.

And I recently started adding a leave in conditioner by called Beautiful Curls by Alaffia and it really helps my waves with definition!

Vrindavana Starfish
02-09-2016, 12:14 PM
I think that's a different brand. This bottle is a sienna color on white. It's the Acure Organics brand, but the argan oil type. I've been seeing more splits on my ends lately, so I'm hoping this will help prevent that. Also, my old stuff was starting to make me break out. This stuff is free of all the harsh stuff. http://www.acureorganics.com/Moroccan-Argan-Oil-Argan-Stem-Cell-Shampoo-p/225.htm

I've been using the Allafia African black soap for the last year, and I love it. That will also get the chlorine right off of your skin.

Marie Gremillion
04-14-2016, 08:15 AM
I heard that if you want to make your hair grow longer faster to massage your scalp because it increases the blood flow

Vrindavana Starfish
04-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Yep. Hang your head upside down, and massage gently for about 4 minutes.

Sapphire Mermaid
05-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Hello! Just reading through all of the hair care tips, and I have one to offer myself. As someone who has had long hair for a long time (I seriously have attachment issues with it. I cut it once and cried for a few weeks about it) and that colours A LOT (I am naturally blonde and dye it red. Hello re-growth that looks grey!), the absolute best thing I have found that helps my hair,along with the oiling, spraying and making sure you look after pH balances on your scalp, is to ALWAYS rinse your hair with cold water. If you can stand it, you should be washing and conditioning your hair in cold water. Heat makes the hair open up and lose colour molecules, cold water keeps them closed. This has always helped my hair keep some colour and not get too damaged for repetative washing after swimming.

As for the swimming itself and keeping colour. Oil. Oil, oil, oil. Before and after. Oil repels water. Do it before you swim and it will help repel the water from getting to your hair. After swimming, once you have rinsed your hair with a good quality (no supermarket cheap products please!) shampoo and applied the conditioner for a really long time (usually double the recommended), oil it again. It doesn't have to be a heavy coat of oil, but your hair will be vulnerable for a while after you swim. Just like your skin takes a while to recover after swimming, so does your hair. Protect it as much as you can!!

<3

Chloea
11-19-2018, 02:06 AM
I heard that if you want to make your hair grow longer faster to massage your scalp because it increases the blood flow

Yeah, if only it were that simple. Rubbing may help a little, but not drastically.