PDA

View Full Version : Sequin tails

Coastal Mist
06-26-2012, 11:56 PM
I have seen so many amazing sequin tails, i was just wondering how exactly a sequin tail is made? And if it is easier to make than a latex tail. I think sequin tails are so beautiful! Thanks guys!

Blondie
06-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Sequin tails are made of neoprene, sequins, thread, glue probably if needed, and a monofin. They are more laborious to make then latex tails so I hear. Each sequin is typically hand sewn on. It's very time consuming. Latex is a bit easier because it can cover the whole surface of the tail in a day generally. But sequins take weeks to sew on.

They are so beautiful though! I give kudos to those who venture into it. Personally after eight years of dance classes. I've seen enough sequins for a lifetime.

Mermaid Marissa
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
I agree^ tho I have seen people sew sequins onto latex tails as well. it all depends on what you want to do and how much of the tail you want covered.

Mermaid Jewel
06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
I know Hannah hand sews her sequins, and not only that sews them on one at a time. Like each sequin is on it's own loop of stitching that's knotted and cut (if that makes sense...)

Mermaid Caidence
06-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Is is possible to machine sew on sequins?

Winged Mermaid
06-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Is is possible to machine sew on sequins?

Yes. You can use a button hole stitch! Or if your machine doesn't have that, just adjust the stitch length so that a forward stitch will go in the hole of the sequin and the second just past the edge of the sequin. Then backstitch once, forward stitch once, ect that way. That would take more time then the set button stitch though. Just don't try and sew THROUGH the sequin. That will only damage it, if not immediately make it very prone to breaking off soon.

Mermaid Caidence
06-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks!