PDA

View Full Version : Making My First Latex tail.... Serious preparation questions

MermanJV
06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
*NOTE: this is a copy of a message I sent to Raven, Nemo, Malinghi and Winged Mermaid, but I decided to open it up to the general community to try and get as much help as possible.

Hey, so I read all the stuff posted in the "Using Alex Plus" article on here. I'm still hyper confused as to what to do/expect. Put simply, I understand exactly step by step what I have to do, but I'm still super anxious. so I had a few concerns and questions that I hope one or both of you (Raven and Nemo, or better yet, all 4) could answer.

1) I plan on swimming mostly in freshwater, if I swim in it at all (I'm probably going to use any tail I make for modelling). Will the ALEX still degrade as much as Raven's did?

2) Does 2mm neoprene actually protect the skin enough? I'm assuming I won't be in the tail more than an hour at a time.

3) Silicone spray: will it preserve the life of the tail? and if so, how often must I spray it down? Is it a "before every usage" thing, or a once in a while use thing?

4) I'm 5'10". roughly 46" from waist to floor (56-60 if I add a fin). 36" at my widest point (my hips), with a 18" fin (measured at it's widest point. The ratio was 1 tube per square foot, if I recall. This is all well and good.... but I am really bad at math. How many square feet would that be?

I know you guys are super busy, but I hope if you get a chance, you'll be able to get in touch with me. Thanks!