PDA

View Full Version : Best Monofin for Mermaiding?

Ayla of Duluth
07-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Hello all. So I know there's a bunch of monofins out there of all different sorts and shapes and sizes, and its all so much to take in, I was hoping you merpeople could help me a bit. What I'm looking for is a monofin that is not too flimsy, that is, when i coat it in latex it's not gonna flop over. i would like it to hold its sturdiness and shape when im modeling out of water, and i want it to have strength for when im swimming. i want it to be stiff, but not so stiff that it doesn't flex when im swimming. i was looking at a dolphin shaped fluke, they have the shape i like so i wont have to stress over cutting out the fin. [i know already i'd butcher the monofin to a point where it has no propulsion left]
so what monofins would you guys recommend for me? also, for the dolphin shaped fluke, are there different types of that shaped monofin? im really appreciating all your help guys, i could never have gotten so much progress made without all your advice! :)

New York Mermaid
07-27-2011, 07:05 PM
are you talking about the Dol-fin monofin. I have 2 of them (http://www.dol-fin.net/news.html), I personal love it, its pretty sturdy and i can move easily in it.. I know alot of people use Finis monofins, they seem to the best ones for mermaiding in from what i heard, but i know other people have different ones, that their happy with.

Ayla of Duluth
07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
haha i like how you have to fax or mail in your order. i have a fax machine, no idea how to use it. xD i'll have to ask my dad. do you know alot about finis monofins? because i hear that fiberglass monofins and a few others are prone to ripping or getting stress fractures. whats the best material for a monofin to be made out of to avoid the wear and tear? sorry if im asking so many questions, i just love learning about this stuff and hearing your opinions. :)

New York Mermaid
07-27-2011, 07:46 PM
^ you do? I actually emailed the guy about the dolfin monofin, i paid him thru paypal and i got them within 4 days its a rubber flukes so its alittle heavy on land but weightless in water . I heard that also but I suppose the finis has alot of flow to it. I think the competitor is more stronger because i know some people use it in the ocean with little to no issues. I dont own a Finis, Yet but i know someone did cut a Finis monofin to mimic mermaid flukes.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjdHVyPYb0Y

Ayla of Duluth
07-27-2011, 08:25 PM
well thats good that its rubber, i don't mind the weight on land, actually in my opinion mermaid tails seem more realistic on land if they're heavier. you've definately helped me narrow my fins down. now i'll either buy the dolphin fin you linked me or a competitor. the vid of her is so much fun to watch, she's really good with her monofin and it looks so pretty! it looks like fiberglass, is that right? this is the monofin that i was looking to buy, i wish the girl would give out some sort of hint as to how she obtained it because it looks incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6BkUymptdY&feature=related

New York Mermaid
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
that one is custom it looks like something soft, i cant really explain it, but shes on here somewhere :) - http://mer.yuku.com/topic/97

Ayla of Duluth
07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
i would so buy a monofin from vicky, i hope she starts selling them soon! :)

Taylor is a Mermaid
07-30-2011, 10:36 AM
I cut my monofin (finis wave), and I have shaky hands and am very clumsy. It turned out great! You just need to be careful and have the right tools. Making a stencil is a great way to get it perfectly straight, too: I used the old kindergarten paper heart technique of folding it in half. What I'm trying to say is if you don't want to pay major $$$ or wait for vicky to start selling, cutting isn't really that hard.

AniaR
07-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Doreen Virtue does a lot of ocean swimming and she said previously the finis competitor is reaaallly good for that. Because it`s nice and stiff

NikkiNeptune
07-31-2011, 03:01 AM
I cut my monofin (finis wave), and I have shaky hands and am very clumsy. It turned out great! You just need to be careful and have the right tools. Making a stencil is a great way to get it perfectly straight, too: I used the old kindergarten paper heart technique of folding it in half. What I'm trying to say is if you don't want to pay major $$$ or wait for vicky to start selling, cutting isn't really that hard.

What did you use to cut yours?

Taylor is a Mermaid
07-31-2011, 08:05 PM
What did you use to cut yours?
A jigsaw with a fine blade (the blade that came with the jigsaw was too jagged and didn't give a smooth look). Then I took a regular kitchen knife, ran it under very hot water and used that to smooth out any rough parts. There are pics on my "Starting my first tail!" thread. I'm not gonna lie, I love the hell out of it and can't stop admiring how it looks when I swim.

AlohaMermaid
08-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Aloha,

I do like the Finis Competitor, as long as the tail has enough stretch so that you can reach your hands down to the monofin straps (which aren't adjustable). If you put a Competitor into a non-stretchy mermaid tail, it's extremely difficult to put the monofin straps on your feet.

The Competitor is wonderful in ocean currents, as it has just the right amount of blade strength to push you through the water. It also works well in swimming pools.

MermaidAiera
08-08-2011, 12:03 PM
The competitor is very nice :) I love using it because it gives a ton of speed and is easy to use~~Can't wait to try it in the ocean next week ^~^