PDA

View Full Version : Mer-Palooza Voting issue

Winged Mermaid
07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
The voting and nominations are now up and running on Mer-Palooza. Here is the url: http://fs7.formsite.com/aimdirect/form35/index.html . I thought the awards were a fun thing to do for something like this. However if you got to the link you can see that you HAVE to pay to vote. The good thing is that it goes to the Make A Wish Foundation, so I don't mind donating per vote. However the more you donate, the more votes you can give to any nominee.

To be honest I think this is really unfair to everyone involved. Basically this means that who ever has the most money can buy their own awards/placements or buy them for someone else. I understand it's for a good cause, but to me it kind of negates the whole point of having awards. I posted my opinion and a suggestion that perhaps instead of having it work that way, you could instead require a donation per vote at a minimum of $1 but you could donate more if you wanted to help the foundation. However there would only be one vote per category per IP allowed to be fair to everyone. My comment was deleted from the Mer-Palooza group. I'm honestly not trying to stir up any kind of drama- this is my personal opinion, and I'd like to hear others! I was also hoping perhaps the organizers could take away from public opinion to better the process, but I'm from that response I'm not sure they are open to that.

What do you think about this?

AniaR
07-02-2012, 12:15 AM
I think you should only be able to vote once, I already see certain people exploiting it.

Mermaid Star
07-02-2012, 01:31 AM
I believe that you should only have one vote per category. As you have stated. You could just put your own name and pay a couple hundred and win the category. It really isn't a fair system. I agree the the both of you on this one. A good cause, but poorly executed.

Sephina
07-02-2012, 10:41 AM
yeah I can see people exploiting the heck out of that, basically whoever has the most money is going to wind up winning, not the one with the most talent. Strangely though I swore that I voted a few days ago and didn't see the paying option..

Spindrift
07-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Deleted comments, hmm? Now I'm dubious about the integrity of the entire event. Also the asking for money at every turn is a little sketchy (even if it's claimed to be for a good cause). I'd like to see logistics, after the event, if they're willing to make it public.

Merman Dan
07-02-2012, 11:35 AM
There is a local singing competition, "Triad Idol", that uses a similar voting scam. While they clearly state that "TRIAD IDOL is the Community Theatre of Greensboro's annual fundraiser and talent-finder", it means the competition has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with bribery. My 14-year old daughter tried out for that, once, but other parents apparently had deeper wallets.

NerineArcticMermaid
07-02-2012, 05:02 PM
gary did appologize for the deleted comment.
its is a legitamate event.. but try to rememberthis is technically the first year.... we are not counting last years event...
im attending this event.
also i have spoken with gary and steph about the votes and catagory issues..i belive stephis working ob the artist catagoryvto split it for fine arts and craft arts to allow for more people to get involved and win
hopefully with future events we can work out the bugs.. please be patient thanks

:
hopefully with time and the next years event we

AniaR
07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
honestly, I think voting and nominating should happen on site by the people participating.

Stephanie Sims
07-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Hey there, Mer Sisters and Brothers! (I've worn a tail now - I can say that now! LOL)

Voting and nominating is happening by people involved. All of the nominations were made by Mer's and voted on by same. :)

Please know that the categories you see listed are categories available for you, the Mer community, to vote on. While we aren't banning IP addresses or forcing households to only have one voting session, I am keeping an eye out for any abuses...and as of yet, there haven't been any. ***Think American Idol, where a call-in or text-in vote counts. *It all does go to a good cause, however, so that does help...

With regard to being able to buy 5, 10 or 20 votes at a time,that's a matter of convenience for the voter, so they do not have to log in repeatedly. There is a fine line, especially when you want to keep votes anonymous, to meet all criteria that appeals to everyone. And yes, the goal is twofold - fundraising while recognizing the best Mer's. But I am working on the language on the site/the whole voting experience so that it is better understood.

Again, know that there are other categories to be awarded by an organized group that recognizes the achievements of deserving folks...that don't necessarily even appear on the nominations list.

ALL of your tips and suggestions are important and listened to! *This is the first year, so please be patient and bear with us. With regard to other awards done by others (as I was there for them and saw it first hand), last minute printing of certificates of whomever was actually in attendance, is largely who won an award. It was so nice to have given awards at all, but that method was not a true representation of awarding THE BEST or even who YOU THOUGHT was the best. You know? I have tried to give you a voice.

And please trust me - The outstanding Mer's will be recognized. This community of yours/of ours has some really wonderful people in it - and no one deserving will go unnoticed, believe me. I am honored to be a "part of your world", I truly am. :)

Stephanie

Spindrift
07-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi Stephanie,

So I'm still not understanding something - perhaps I am being a little slow. Why are people allowed to vote more than once in a category or buy votes at all? And what do you mean by you're keeping an eye out for abuses?

Thanks.

Stephanie Sims
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi there,

Happy July 4th! I am spending the day clarifying the language on the MerPalooza.com site.

I've listened to all concerns - and I appreciate the input. I would also appreciate support with the project, as I am trying to do something that's never been done before, relying on Mer input - and my mission is a sincere one.

I have now made a parameter whereby only 3 votes per IP address are allowed per week. I was not going to ban IP addresses, and I haven't yet seen any evidence of needing to limit votes...But after reading the concerns here, I can see how it might possibly be able to happen.

"Keeping an eye on it" meant that when the results come in currently, I can see if an IP address has already voted, and I can notice any trends. But with the IP restriction I just mentioned above, that won't be an issue. As of yet, it hasn't been an issue. There isn't any one entity who has received more than about 9 votes total, across all categories.

My goal is to truly recognize and award truly the BEST of the BEST in this community. I am the first to truly try to do this. Therefore, ALL concerns about anything not being a true representation of who might actually DESERVE to win are taken to heart totally. I have made most categories a committee-vote scenario and taken them out of the realm of being able to be voted on. Another thing I've done is call the $1.00 votes People's Choice...This will allow people to indulge and vote for their favorites...But the TRUE "Best Of" Awards will be given from consideration from our voting panel and submissions of merit.

The $1.00 per vote is commonly done in many communities and on many sites, I own Gasparilla and Gasparilla.com, and the Pirate community currently holds many contests that work in this manner. Because the Mer community networking is rather new, it's a contest concept never done here before - and I can see how everyone would truly want the BEST Mer's to win, not simply the most popular or the ones with the deepest pockets. Why the $1.00 per Vote? The $1.00 per Vote is a fundraising tool to enable my charitable contribution I intend to make to Make A Wish. Not only are we set on donating money, but we are attempting to actually GRANT WISHES by having folks attend this event (wish recipients.) This event is booked at the venue in my name SOLELY personally and my corporate name (and Gasparilla) are involved, as well.

I hope the info I just gave you helps and that my re-wording of my language on the site better satisfies everyone. We WILL truly be able to award the BEST and I look forward to it!

Thanks,

Steph :)

TO FURTHER CLARIFY, LIMITING THE IP ADDRESS WILL MAKE IT SO ONLY 3 VOTES PER IP CAN VOTE ON ANY CATEGORY, NOT JUST IN ONE CATEGORY.

AniaR
07-04-2012, 07:34 PM
thanks stephanie! sounds so much better, I like these improvements.

Merman Dan
07-05-2012, 12:55 AM
I wish you every luck with Mer-Palooza this year. Alas, I will be vacationing on the coast of North Carolina (with a merman tail, if the timing is right).

Perhaps you could cross-promote with the mer-community on Second Life, for those of us who cannot attend in person?

Merman Dan
07-24-2012, 10:15 PM
"There is one of the big adboards open and available if someone wants it. Adboards - we have adboards open at Safe Waters Foundation's headquarters. Its like a virtual directory of mer friendly places, retailers and products - get listed, or come and check out those that are listed now. Click on a board that isn't rented and it gives you a nc tells you how to rent." sURL (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mermaids%20of%20Phantasien/120/123/3)

couldn't hurt ;)

Mahi Mermaid
07-25-2012, 11:21 PM
honestly, I think voting and nominating should happen on site by the people participating.

I totally think so too. I mean those that go should get the awards, by those that are there! Judges, and audience! Not friends and family with fat wallets... :(

Moonflower
07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I think the whole idea of people being nominated and people voting is just another popularity contest (just like the pageant is). There's plenty of other things we could be doing (like workshops on how to make tails, or panels on how to get involved with wildlife or oceanic conservation organization) at a gathering like this...

Stephanie Sims
07-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Moonflower, the pageant is judged like any other pageant...live... and the winners will be awarded. The Photo Contests ARE popularity contests. However, the true awarding of the more "credible" Awards...will go to the deserving folks, whether they are in attendance or not...And I think it's best to Award the BEST. We are presenting many awards that you don't see listed on the voting site...

Moonflower
07-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes, but you have to pay to enter the contest, and for anyone with self-esteem issues like myself, paying for something like this and not getting any votes is like another nail in the coffin. A costume event would be lovely for anyone to enter, free of charge, so those of us who want a moment to shine can do so, without being judged. I'm sure many pageant contestants will have purchased their tails, and as someone who has competed and judged costume contests for nearly 15 years, this would be unacceptable for any kind of show.

Stephanie Sims
07-31-2012, 12:47 AM
Yes, but you have to pay to enter the contest, and for anyone with self-esteem issues like myself, paying for something like this and not getting any votes is like another nail in the coffin. A costume event would be lovely for anyone to enter, free of charge, so those of us who want a moment to shine can do so, without being judged. I'm sure many pageant contestants will have purchased their tails, and as someone who has competed and judged costume contests for nearly 15 years, this would be unacceptable for any kind of show.Yes! I understand... We will have that free live contest as well, at the party! Hope you come and enjoy!!! The voting isn't for everyone's liking...It's a new concept and seems to be working great...But I can relate with your feelings about a free costume contest! :)