PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

leeloo
07-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Silly question, but I'm looking into becoming a professional mermaid and was wondering for those of you who are, what exactly do you do? I have read that some of you perform at children's parties or make appearances places, but what exactly do you do? Just swim around in the pool? Tell stories? I know this sounds dumb but I have no idea what I would do and just swimming around doesn't seem like enough.

Moonflower
07-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Agreed - it seems a little silly to call what most of us do for fun "professional". However, one can call themselves a professional when they are paid for services, be it swimming around at parties or telling stories.

Thalassa
07-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Thank you for asking this! I was going to ask the same question, sounds like we're in the same position!

I'm thinking of having a range of options parents can choose from, things like stories, songs, hairdos, and a couple of games, but I have yet to have a gig so it's all very theoretical at this point.

New York Mermaid
07-01-2012, 11:45 PM
I have done a few visits to my local hospital, i read stories to the kids, and talk about ocean animals and stuff like that, they love it!!

But for parties it could be story time and play "seahorse says", how about talk to the parents before hand and set up a scavenger hunt for the kids, winners get a prize or some sort.. if you can sing, show them that Ariel isint the only awesome singing mermaid around!

Theres soo much more ideas that can go on.. its all on you.. you may be a mermaid but you have to be an entertainer as well.. remember its not all about the swimming and showing off your tail its about keeping the kids busy and interested and showing the parents and their friends.. why they should hire you (again)- also remember to have something special that you can present to the birthday princess too.

Thalassa
07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Quick question: If you read a book to the children, is it violation of copyright? Because you're making money off the gig...kind of like showing a movie and making money off it? Forgive me if this is a silly question, I have no idea of the ins and outs of copyright. XP

New York Mermaid
07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
good question, but I seriously doubt it unless your promoting the book as your own..

Its like if you go to the library and pick out a book to read out loud to the kids for story time..

But however if you were reading a book and getting photographed or something for an article, i'd be very vocal in mentioning the reason you chose this book and who wrote it and if its a personal favorite.

AniaR
07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
eh, sorry, I work my fish butt off at birthday parties. Im a professional. There are many professional services you can hire for birthday parties. I was actually thinking of doing a tutorial on how I do birthday parties and the different packages I have but honestly sometimes I just get a little tired from giving out all my information on how I do everything and how people can do things. I give out and have given out a lot of info on mernetwork to help people on their professional journey, but I still feel like people in general online (my fb, tumblr, youtube, etc) are quite demanding and dont take the time to look into things first before asking, and expect the work to be done for them. To be honest, after speaking to some other professionals this is a big reason why they arent on the forum, or dont respond to comments and questions on other networking sites because they are bombarded with the same questions over and over again and dont take the time to see the answer has already been shared, or the mermaid in question doesn't want to give away all their hard work.

So instead of me (or another) giving away their professional methods, what do YOU think could be done at a birthday party? What does ANYONE think would be fun to do at a birthday party as a mermaid? As you've said, just swimming around doesn't seem like much... so what else can be done? I think if members respond with their ideas you'll be surprised how much can be done, and just how much professional work can go into it.

Thalassa
07-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Raina, I have a question: I know one of the things you do sometimes is presentations on different ocean life (sharks, etc.). Do you do these at parties or just at other events? Personally, I think there would be a way to do it in both venues, but I'm not sure how some parents would respond to a marine life presentation (i.e.: I've brought up the idea with friends and gotten looks along with "Aren't you supposed to be FUN?").

EDIT: Sorry if this seems like another of those questions you talked about. :-P I have done my own thinking and research, but the reactions I've gotten have made me second-guess myself.

AniaR
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
my professional background is in child development and education so any event I do, birthday party, festival, whatever all have an educational element. It just depends on the venue and the age of the kids etc. On my youtube I've got full videos of me educating about the environment, mermaid myths, sharks, reading, etc. Ive never had anyone question it as being fun, I kinda wanna wack the people over the head that said that to you. The kids always love it, have lots of questions and it's one of the things I get a HUGE amount of positive feedback from. In fact, one of the last public events I had I was offered 2 teaching (non mermaid related) jobs!

Thalassa
07-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Wow, that's great! Yeah, I'm an Elementary school teacher as well, and I know of so many times I've entertained a class with educational material. XP I was just worried that because teaching and learning is fun for ME, maybe I had a skewed view or something. XD Thank you for the reassurance!

MermaidNerenia
07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Depends on the party. Younger kids are more fun because they believe more easy. I like to ask under the sea questions. "What kinds of things live in the water? What has claws, what has a tail? Can you name something that lives in the sea with me thats not a fish?" and when they get questions right they get a present out of my treasure box.

Also hula hoop covered in "kelp" we swim through the hoops. Older kids I add more hoops.

Singing (skills are totally questionable) the ABC's of the sea to the kids (younger)

Relay races with plastic starfish (shallow water)

etc.....

MermaidNerenia
07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Older kids I find that you have to have them more hands on instead of entertained, I have done 1 (only one so far) older birthday. The group of girls were ten or so and we made sea crowns. And I painted faces. Then swam with them