PDA

View Full Version : blending of sequins

Mermaid Marissa
07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Anyone know a good ways to blend sequin colors together on a tail? I know this may be a stupid question but I'm only used to blending paints :$

Mermaid Jewel
07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
It's kinda like pointilism...if you know what I mean. You have to mix the colors slowly to blend it together...does that make sense? Like slowly add one color by adding them into it, and then until it's half and half, then keep going!

Mermaid Marissa
07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
It's kinda like pointilism...if you know what I mean. You have to mix the colors slowly to blend it together...does that make sense? Like slowly add one color by adding them into it, and then until it's half and half, then keep going!

just in random places? I'm really bad at this it doesn't have to be even right?

Mermaid Jewel
07-03-2012, 07:58 PM
It can or it can be random.

Mermaid Marissa
07-03-2012, 08:14 PM
thanks so much :D

ShyMer
07-03-2012, 09:20 PM
You might want to use in between colors as well, depending on the colors you choose. For example, if I wanted to go from purple to gold, I could just start mixing in gold sequins with my purple, or I might want to start mixing pink, then orange, then gold, or something along those lines. I think I'd do either for a tail myself, it's just another option for you that might look kinda nice :)

I'm thinking you might want to consider how gradual you want any color change to be. If you want a more quick color change, like bands of color, you'd obviously want the section where you're mixing colors to be a lot smaller. If you want it to be a smoother gradient, you'd need the blended area to take up more space on your tail. So a smoother gradient might need to take up a lot of your thigh area as an example. Does this make sense? It's just a jumble of thoughts :p

Cordelia
07-03-2012, 09:44 PM
If you're unsure about the order to put the colors in, try laying some out on a table and mixing them around until you get a gradient that looks pleasing to you. I do this sometimes with stones in jewelry making. If I place them on the mat in front of me first, I can get a better sense of what the entire piece will end up looking like. It definitely saves me a lot of frustration by the end of the project.

For another idea, you could use some graph paper and color the squares in the same color as your sequins (each square being a sequin) and just follow the pattern you end up with. This method I've used for charting colors in knitting and it works well for both solid lines and gradients. Hope these suggestions help!

Mermaid Momo
07-04-2012, 06:16 PM
maybe you could try blending them like this:
imagine that i'm blending yellow sequins into red ones. Start by randomly inputting red sequins in with the yellow ones , then it'll begin to look like the yellow sequins are placed randomly in the red sequins then totally red sequins. (Sorry if you can't understand what i just wrote, its very hard to put how i'm thinking of doing it into words XD)

Mermaid Marissa
07-05-2012, 10:42 AM
If you're unsure about the order to put the colors in, try laying some out on a table and mixing them around until you get a gradient that looks pleasing to you. I do this sometimes with stones in jewelry making. If I place them on the mat in front of me first, I can get a better sense of what the entire piece will end up looking like. It definitely saves me a lot of frustration by the end of the project.

For another idea, you could use some graph paper and color the squares in the same color as your sequins (each square being a sequin) and just follow the pattern you end up with. This method I've used for charting colors in knitting and it works well for both solid lines and gradients. Hope these suggestions help!

thanks the graph paper is a great idea my dad is an architect so we got tons of graph paper :lol:

Mermaid Marissa
07-05-2012, 10:43 AM
You might want to use in between colors as well, depending on the colors you choose. For example, if I wanted to go from purple to gold, I could just start mixing in gold sequins with my purple, or I might want to start mixing pink, then orange, then gold, or something along those lines. I think I'd do either for a tail myself, it's just another option for you that might look kinda nice :)

I'm thinking you might want to consider how gradual you want any color change to be. If you want a more quick color change, like bands of color, you'd obviously want the section where you're mixing colors to be a lot smaller. If you want it to be a smoother gradient, you'd need the blended area to take up more space on your tail. So a smoother gradient might need to take up a lot of your thigh area as an example. Does this make sense? It's just a jumble of thoughts :p

my tail is blue and teal-like green