PDA

View Full Version : Makeup Tips from The Dive Bar Mermaids

MermaidNerenia
07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey there everyone! If you know who the Dive Bar Mermaids are then you know that they do some really beautiful makeup that really STICKS! I emailed them asking for some tips and tricks and I just wanted to share with you guys what I got!

At the Dive Bar the mermaids try to use makeup that is fish safe (Yay!) no harsh chemicals or parbins, and brands that are not tested on animals (you can usually find a good list online!)

Use Spirit Gum to attach small acrylic gems, pearls etc..

And use petroleum jelly mixed with powered eye shadow makes a cream eyeshadow or painting color that stays underwater! Petroleum jelly mixed with glitter can be painted all over you! Look for waterproof eyeliners and mascaras!

I LOVE the tips about the glitter and the powdered eyeshadow I won't be swimming for another week or so but once I do im testing that out!

Mermaid Odette

MermaidNerenia
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
BTW if you don't know who the Dive Bar Mermaids are look them up on Facebook! Such a talented bunch of ladies!

Mermaid Jewel
07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Wow those are great tips :D Especially with the petroleum jelly thing! Thank you for sharing :)

Mermaid Lorelei
07-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I never would have thought to use petroleum jelly...

Winged Mermaid
07-06-2012, 03:45 AM
I'm going to have to try that! You can mix any eye shadow with eye drops and use a liner brush to make eye liner, so you could do the same thing using the petroleum jelly to get a great under water liner in any color!

SeaVixen
07-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Good to know about the spirit gum. Didn't know if that would stick under water. I saw them last summer in august. The Dive Bar is located in downtown Sacramento California.

Here's a few pics I took of the mermaid I saw while there.

MermaidNerenia
07-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Im going to be taking a week long trip to Cali next year with my mom, and this is #1 on my "Must See" list!

Mermaid Annariea
07-07-2012, 07:13 PM
wouldnt petroleum jelly make it feel thick and goopy, though? :/

Mermaid Saphira
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Petroleum jelly?! I never would have thought! Luck me I have 2 big bottles of pj and over a dozen eyeshadows! I am totally doing this next time I hit the beach! Hey does anymer know if eyelash glue can hold gems in the water? THANX :)

Lyna
07-09-2012, 08:49 PM
totally awesome trick to try. one of my upcoming shoots i an underwater mermaid shoot and ive been worried about my make up holding up. gonna do the full water parts last of course, but still...
i know mascara is a horrible idea in water, as it is never truly waterproof, and the number 1 cause of raccoon eyes... eyeshadow just fades away...so i was going to suggest skipping mascara altoghter and just wearing falsies. most eyelash adhesives are latex based, so im sure they'll stay just fine for the hours you need them to stay. and fake eyelashes just look more enchanting anyways.

SherryB
07-10-2012, 05:37 AM
You can mix any eye darkness with eye falls and use a lining sweep to create eye lining, so you could do the same factor using the oil jam to get an excellent under water lining in any color!

Mer_Adella
08-29-2012, 10:51 AM
wouldnt petroleum jelly make it feel thick and goopy, though? :/

No, not unless you use a MASSIVE AMOUNT lol.
I have had glamour shots done and when they wanted to use a certain color of eyeshadow on my lips to give a shine and an interesting color to my lips they took just a tad bit of jelly and added the color of the eyeshadow to it. you add as much color to get the depth that you want and then basically "paint" it on. I walked around a whole 12hrs wearing it swimming in it and it held. and I am a constant lip licker (pardon the harshness of the term )

it works :D

Mermaid Caidence
11-21-2012, 10:27 PM
I tried the petroleum jelly thing. I used vaseline. For putting the glitter in it, it worked well, but when I put eyeshadow in, the color looked nice, but when I put it on my skin, the color was practically clear. Also you can put eyeshadow scales on, then put petroleum jely on it, to seal the eyshadow. One issue I had is how easily it rubs away, and how sticky/slmey it is, even after you leave it on for a while. Does anyone know a way to fix the eyshadow rubbing away or to fix the see through ness of the color?

Mermaid Caidence
11-22-2012, 11:42 PM
I think it's best to put your eyeshadow on, then put the petroleum jelly on top of it.