PDA

View Full Version : my latex tail - HELP

Esmerelda
07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm new to this website, but I've recently been making a latex tail from the instructions on the tutorial posted by missfit1023 on deviantart. I've added my scales and painted used createx paint, but whenever I swim in the water, the paint just all chips off and I've already repainted my tail three times with 2-3 layers of paint each time and it just comes off again and again. Is this normal? Did I miss a step or am I using the wrong kind of paint? I didn't spray any non-stick stuff before I painted because it wasn't in the tutorial, it was mentioned in a comment and by then I'd already painted. Also, the tail fits fine when dry, but when I try to swim in it it just falls right off me! I'm afraid to take it in though because I'm afraid then it won't fit when dry.
Here are some pics: (I haven't put this layer of paint in the water yet - I'm too afraid!)

I'm not sure if those pictures uploaded or not because I'm not quite sure yet how to work this website...

Mermaid Olivia =)

AniaR
07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
you need to go over the entire tail with a heat gun to seal the paint, but yes, some chipping is normal, it happens with this type of material

Ilonka
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
You should take it in at the hips a bit just in case and adjust your monofin to fit your feet snugly, this will help for your tail not to fall off. Alex plus takes 7-14 days to cure completely so be patient after you paint it. Maybe mix some clear Alex with the paint might help too, my tail isent Alex so I don't know how it behaves exactly.

Mermaid Star
07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Definitely heat set your paint like Raina said. That should lessen your need to repaint. Alex will stretch more than a normal latex tail. It should normally take you a few minutes to get in... around 5-10 mins. If it takes you less than a minute to get in. It may be too big. It should fit quite snugly

Winged Mermaid
07-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Heat setting is indeed VERY important. If you buy from JoAnns or Michaels they have coupons by mail, online, and even JoAnns has an app for that now! You can get 40% off which will save you some money!

I can understand not wanting it to be too tight, but if it's too loose in the water it needs to come in. Try doing an inch (so half an inch on each side) at a time if you're super unsure. Tails will always be tighter dry, and that's okay. Some people need baby powder to get into theirs! Or to get in and put it on in the water. The biggest issue with fitting is usually if the waist is too big, but if you took it in any more your hips wouldn't be able to get past the waist area to get in. Usually actual neoprene has enough stretch that that isn't an issue, but if you used cheap neoprene or neoprin then adding either a zipper or a diving belt (inside the waist) will take care of that.

Esmerelda
07-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks so much!! I'll definitely try heat setting first, and then i'll get around to taking it in. Does anyone know, can you sew through latex with a regular sewing machine? Will it damage the machine?

MermaidNerenia
07-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Can I buy some ALEX to brush over the cracks and tearing latex of my curent tail? Does it work like that?

Mermaid Dottie
07-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks so much!! I'll definitely try heat setting first, and then i'll get around to taking it in. Does anyone know, can you sew through latex with a regular sewing machine? Will it damage the machine?
No! Yes it will damage your machine, or at the very least break your needles. HANDSTITCH. Really.

Winged Mermaid
07-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Actually every tail maker who makes these tails and everyone but a hand full of people who have made these type of tails have all sewn theirs on sewing machines. Check out the Sewing Neoprene thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?574-Archive-quot-Sewing-Neoprene-quot). Read it, get the right needles, lubricate it properly, and listen/pay attention to your machine. If even with the right needle and lube, and going slowly and carefully with it, the machine doesn't like it, then stop! It depends on the machine- some can't handle it and you'll have to stitch it by hand. Most people have no problem with it though.

Winged Mermaid
07-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Can I buy some ALEX to brush over the cracks and tearing latex of my curent tail? Does it work like that?

If you find out let me know. This is the latest picture of the degrading on my tail (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/winged_mermaid/Me%20as%20a%20mermaid/Mertailor%20Tail/Wear%20and%20tear/ALEX%20Degradation/IMG_2944.jpg). The cracks are all over the tail, that's just the worst part. I may be trying something with it once I get my other tail swimmable (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2296-How-to-gut-a-fluke), if it works I'll let you know.