PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Thoughts

Thalassa
07-06-2012, 09:26 PM
This is the place for those random passing mer-thoughts that don't need a thread all for themselves!

My current thought: I wish I could be a mermaid apprentice! I'd love to learn under the fluke of an experienced perforMER. ;-) (Oh, I'm so full of puns today!)

Merman Craig (Delphinar)
07-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Same here. I want to be a merman performer and work with other mermaid/merman performers.

Merman Dan
07-06-2012, 09:35 PM
random mer-thought: Why isn't "Splash" available in the iTunes store? (or Dagon, Sea Creature, or Day of the Dolphin)

New York Mermaid
07-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Hmm should i wear my hair up or down, will these shells look too flashy and what tiara should i wear to match my tail.. (speaking for photoshoot)

Thalassa
07-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Whelp, I was only able to breath-hold for 50 seconds tonight. Last night I made it over a minute for the first time. Gotta get consistency! XD

green52
07-07-2012, 12:35 AM
nice!

Mermaid Caidence
07-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Why can't my sequins come in today? Or my neoprin samples? Or my friend's monofin?

Thalassa
07-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Caitlyn: Yes! Waiting for things to arrive is so HARD!

Pros and Cons of today's mer-practice:

Pros: Figured out how to get out of the pool, Made it all the way across pool without stopping for breath, Good workout

Cons: UGH! Flips were a bust because my nose clip won't stay on and my body WON'T let me breathe out when underwater, I can't reach the bottom of the pool to grab things or do any sort of bubble trick (like, seriously. Even swimming my hardest I can barely get to the bottom of the 5 ft pool).

All in all a frustrating workout because I had planned on practicing flips and bubbles today. XP

Blondie
07-07-2012, 11:58 PM
My thought today: Must perfect bubble rings. Must perfect blowing kisses. *Eyetwitch*

Merman Dan
07-08-2012, 12:03 AM
that makes me want to buy an underwater vidicam... "was that a circle?" I ask my kids, in the pool.

Thalassa
07-08-2012, 12:09 PM
that makes me want to buy an underwater vidicam... "was that a circle?" I ask my kids, in the pool.

AMEN! I'm pricing waterproof cams as we speak. My little sister has the burden of watching as I simultaneously try to stay underwater and frantically blow bubbles. XP Also as I do flips.

Mermaid Caidence
07-08-2012, 02:51 PM
My Thoughts: How did my favorites get so unorganized!? Now, should I put monofins under products or items to make a mermaid tail??

Mermaid Saphira
07-08-2012, 02:55 PM
My thoughts: When will my parents take me 2 the pool?! Fish out of water here, hello?!

Mermaid Summer
07-09-2012, 12:48 AM
I get to put in my order for my monofin in 7 days. I trying to contain myself but I can't!!!

Azurin Luna
07-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Why do I keep feeling like my arms should be fins? *feels like a weird mermaid now*

spottedcatfish
07-09-2012, 03:41 AM
mmm I just put my order in for my first monofin (finis foil)... Omg the suspense is killing me!! *dreaming of swimming like a mermaid* mmmmm

Mermaid Saphira
07-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Where in the world did I leave my cell phone? I need to get ahold of my merfriend, bubbles X_x

Lyna
07-10-2012, 02:25 AM
my thoughts: every day checking my porch for my mertailor tail to arrive.
thinking about whoever will be the first one to come over that day and see me flopping around my living room like a fish out of water.
the look on peoplesfaces when they come by to visit and catch me laying on the couch with a book in hand and a fluke hanging over the arm rest.
always thinking of new plans for mermaid tops. just because i only have one tail (for now) doesnt mean i have to be confined to one outfit.

Mermaid Summer
07-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Nap or swim? I have so much work to do?

Bellasea
07-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Should I do bookwork or mess around on the computer?

Mermaid Fenicia
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
I wish I had more time (and money) to make more tails (and costumes) for me and my bjd's :p

Thalassa
07-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Just got back from my local pool. Sort of frustrated because it's crowded so I need to see so as not to run into somebody, but the pool is so highly chlorinated that my eyes really burn underwater. So I had to wear goggles. I really don't like goggles. :-(

On the other hand, my new nose clip came so I can practice flips soon! ^_^

Mermaid Dottie
07-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Which pool do you go to, Thalassa? 'cause I hear you on the crowded part. I'm nervous just to step into the pool near me. I'm afraid I'll get an infection or something right before the baby's born.

Thalassa
07-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I go to the local recreation/fitness center. Actually, it was my first time there. I normally swim in my sister's apartment complex pool which is MUCH better (more private and less chlorinated) but doesn't get as deep (only 5 feet as opposed to 13). I like the deep. XD So it's sort of a trade-off.

Definitely be careful with yourself, my dear! ;-) BTW, when are you due if you don't mind my asking?

Mermaid Dottie
07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm due august 7th, but I was already starting to dilate at my last appointment, so there's a good chance he could come early. Are you a Utah mer, then, or another Colorado? I'm asking 'cause I'm kinda lonely where I am.

Thalassa
07-10-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm a Utah mer, for sure! ^_^ That's so exciting for you, I hope everything goes super well!

I know, I'm lonely here, too. We should get us Utah mers together! I don't want to post exactly what city I'm in, but do you want me to PM it?

Lyna
07-11-2012, 01:35 AM
i know a certain little mermaid who has been outside pissing her neighbors off drilling holes in seashells only to discover that the silicone she bought was not clear but in fact white...

New York Mermaid
07-11-2012, 02:02 AM
having a waiting for my tail moment here..and i just got a sewing machine YAY..

spottedcatfish
07-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Well my Foil monofin arrived today, and I took it for a first swim! I have to admit this was my first time ever in a monofin. And I have to get used to swimming in it... I wasn't exactly graceful in the water. Plus the monofin was really tight on my right foot, so much that it caused pain. Ouch! So I will have to do some minor modifications to the fin to help my foot feel better while swimming in it. It was fun, and the fin was a good fit, on my left foot anyways. I will have to watch some videos of how to do the dolphin kick properly and practice in the pool more. I am looking forward to progressing and getting comfortable with swimming in my new fin!

Thalassa
07-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Well my Foil monofin arrived today, and I took it for a first swim! I have to admit this was my first time ever in a monofin. And I have to get used to swimming in it... I wasn't exactly graceful in the water. Plus the monofin was really tight on my right foot, so much that it caused pain. Ouch! So I will have to do some minor modifications to the fin to help my foot feel better while swimming in it. It was fun, and the fin was a good fit, on my left foot anyways. I will have to watch some videos of how to do the dolphin kick properly and practice in the pool more. I am looking forward to progressing and getting comfortable with swimming in my new fin!

Hey, I remember this feeling! ;-) I've only had 5 practice sessions (1-2 hours each), so I'm still new to my FOIL, too. My second time was MUCH better than my first (honestly, I was so frustrated after my first time...) and each time has gotten better. I'm now pretty comfy in my fin, but I do get skin rubbed off on certain toes. I have 3 big bandages on right now after a 2-hour practice session. :-( I got some FINIS fin socks, they do all right but don't reduce the rub as much as I'd like. I'm probably going to need to either stretch the fin somehow, add padding somehow, or always wear bandaids on the trouble spots when I get in my fin. ;-P

Anyway, keep at it! It definitely gets easier!

Merman Dan
07-11-2012, 12:14 PM
...I got some FINIS fin socks, they do all right but don't reduce the rub as much as I'd like.

Typically when one wears fins for skindiving/scuba, one wears neoprene booties underneath them. I assumed the same would hold true for a monofin? It's been awhile since I have been scuba diving, so methinks new booties (and ::ahem:: compression shorts) may be in order, before my tail arrives.

Thalassa
07-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Typically when one wears fins for skindiving/scuba, one wears neoprene booties underneath them. I assumed the same would hold true for a monofin? It's been awhile since I have been scuba diving, so methinks new booties (and ::ahem:: compression shorts) may be in order, before my tail arrives.

Lol. Yeah, I think that's what I got (they're definitely booties, not sure if they're neoprene, and designed to reduce chafing with FINIS fins) but they 1) make the fins tighter on me, and 2) while they reduce the rubbing a bit, I still end up rubbed pretty raw. I think it has to do with the funny way my feet are formed. XP

Mermaid Cascada
07-15-2012, 06:30 PM
My thoughts: Gotta count out foam circles ( to make my tail) Gotta get more money for my tail...
Babysit niece and nephew. Put money in piggy bank. Cut out more foam circles...
Think how awesome it will be when my tail is finally finished ^.^

Ayla of Duluth
07-15-2012, 07:47 PM
-wonder when raven is gonna get my check
-wonder what my tail will look like
-wonder if I'll be able to make it as a professional mer in this city
-man I hope this mermaid trend doesn't get any bigger than it already is

Thalassa
07-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Today I'm:
*Concerned as always that my local pool won't let my in with my tail
*Wishing I could earn $ faster to buy a Raven tail
*Wondering what design I should use (I'm going with gold/green, want something fairly unique...)
*Looking for sea books for children
*Wondering how to get more ocean-ecology savvy.

Wow. *breathes*

Thalassa
07-22-2012, 01:41 PM
*I want my tail to come! I'm tired of waiting, lol.

*Last night I had a dream where I went to California to pick up my tail, but instead of the latex swimmable tail I'm waiting for I was given a holographic shimmer green fabric tail with an open bottom and no monofin. D-: I had to argue with the tail maker about it. This has absolutely no connection to my actual tail maker, who lives in Colorado and is doing a great job on my tail. XP

*On the other hand, the in the dream the tail maker was located at this completely awesome mermaid pool! It was designed for a bunch of mermaids and "guests" to play in. It had depths ranging from 2 feet to 14 feet, simulated coral, and the BEST part was a motorized trolley from the mer-dressing room to the pool so mers could get back and forth in tail! XD My subconscious has the best imagination, lol!

Drowning
07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
*On the other hand, the in the dream the tail maker was located at this completely awesome mermaid pool! It was designed for a bunch of mermaids and "guests" to play in. It had depths ranging from 2 feet to 14 feet, simulated coral, and the BEST part was a motorized trolley from the mer-dressing room to the pool so mers could get back and forth in tail! XD My subconscious has the best imagination, lol!

I could live in that pool!!

Merman Dan
07-22-2012, 03:13 PM
I could live in that pool!!

While we're dreaming of pools... Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon, Disney World (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/typhoon-lagoon/attractions/shark-reef/)

Drowning
07-22-2012, 05:51 PM
While we're dreaming of pools... Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon, Disney World (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/typhoon-lagoon/attractions/shark-reef/)

Wow! If I ever win the lottery or discover sunken treasure, I'm building a pool like that exclusively for the Merfolk community.

And I will live in it.

Thalassa
07-22-2012, 06:08 PM

*gasp* I LOVE IT! I'd never ever leave!

Wow! If I ever win the lottery or discover sunken treasure, I'm building a pool like that exclusively for the Merfolk community.

I. would. freaking. love. you! ;-) We should make a pact that if any of us ever wins megamillions or comes up with a billion dollar idea we'll build this for the community. XD

Madison
07-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Just ordered my very first tail this evening, so I think you can all imagine how excited I am!! :D I chose a magictail.de (fabric) one as a relatively cheap "starters tail" to see if it is for me, if so I might save to get an upgrade somewhere in the future :) But for now, I'm just very happy I'm getting my first tail!
A close friend of mine has recently told me she would love to try swimming in a tail, since her and me are about the same size she can swim in mine too. I can't wait to see her face when she transforms in to a mermaid for the first time :D

Drowning
07-22-2012, 07:48 PM
*gasp* I LOVE IT! I'd never ever leave!

I. would. freaking. love. you! ;-) We should make a pact that if any of us ever wins megamillions or comes up with a billion dollar idea we'll build this for the community. XD

I can't think of a better incentive to start treasure diving ;-)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Where in the world did I leave my cell phone? I need to get ahold of my merfriend, bubbles X_x

Why, you'll just have to use your SHELL phone, Mermaid Aqua :)

Keiris
07-22-2012, 08:02 PM
That would REALLY be an awesome water park! Complete with a seacave or two. Yeah, Jay , you could totally hold court there and teach the really young mers some deep swimming moves!

Mermaid Aurora
07-22-2012, 08:03 PM
just made a deal with the fam: If I get $250, my parents and both sets of grandparents will match that for a Merbellas Tail! AHHHHHHHHH SO EXCITED

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-22-2012, 08:06 PM
My thoughts... should I cut my now nearly shoulder-length hair to keep from getting weird tan marks on my neck when I finally do get it cut? Or continue to let it grow to look more classically mer-ish?

Thalassa
07-22-2012, 08:11 PM
just made a deal with the fam: If I get $250, my parents and both sets of grandparents will match that for a Merbellas Tail! AHHHHHHHHH SO EXCITED

*jealous* *SO jealous* I wish I could get my fam to make a deal with me! The only deal they'll make so far is, "We'll ignore the fact that you're swimming in a mermaid tail if you NEVER speak of it in front of us." XP

Also, very sick of my autocheck making "merfolk" into "mer folk," monofin into "mono fin," and all sorts of other silly corrections.

Madison: I've already said this, but congratulations! That's so exciting that you get to see your friend transform, too!

Keiris
07-22-2012, 08:13 PM
aaahhh to grow or not to grow...well if you need sun on your neck, maybe thro it up into a classic french twist. ;-)

Madison
07-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Thank you again Thalassa! :D
& congratulations Aurora!! (I wanted to get a Merbella tail as my first tail but decided for a cheaper version in case swimming in a tail is not for me.) If I ever get an upgrade, I'm definitely getting a Merbella too, they are just gorgeous! :D I hope you will keep us all updated :)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-22-2012, 08:43 PM
*jealous* *SO jealous* I wish I could get my fam to make a deal with me! The only deal they'll make so far is, "We'll ignore the fact that you're swimming in a mermaid tail if you NEVER speak of it in front of us." XP

Also, very sick of my autocheck making "merfolk" into "mer folk," monofin into "mono fin," and all sorts of other silly corrections.

Madison: I've already said this, but congratulations! That's so exciting that you get to see your friend transform, too!

Um, why not right click on the red highlit words autocheck marks and "add to dictionary"?

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-22-2012, 08:45 PM
aaahhh to grow or not to grow...well if you need sun on your neck, maybe thro it up into a classic french twist. ;-)

Um, I'm a man... maybe not the most macho of men, but still distinctly male. I can't even find anything on google images for the words "french twist man"... that's generally not a good sign.

Thalassa
07-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Um, why not right click on the red highlit words autocheck marks and "add to dictionary"?

LOL because I'm super lazy today! XD Clicking is just so haaaard...;-P

Keiris
07-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Um, I'm a man... maybe not the most macho of men, but still distinctly male. I can't even find anything on google images for the words "french twist man"... that's generally not a good sign.

LOL! Just giving pullin' your fins, man!

Drowning
07-22-2012, 10:17 PM
LOL! Just giving pullin' your fins, man!

Such a naughty mermaid!

Drowning
07-22-2012, 10:22 PM
That would REALLY be an awesome water park! Complete with a seacave or two. Yeah, Jay , you could totally hold court there and teach the really young mers some deep swimming moves!

I would take great pleasure in helping any Mermaid or Merman enjoy more time at the bottom of the Deep End of the pool or the sea, within the limits of recreational scuba diving, of course.

Keiris
07-24-2012, 12:29 AM
merman. lol

Keiris
07-24-2012, 12:33 AM
So how long are you contemplating letting it grow? I'd like to let mine grow out some but isn't it HOT? I'm in S FL!

Lyna
07-26-2012, 10:54 AM
happy birthday to me...happy birthday to me...

Mermaid Saphira
07-26-2012, 11:01 AM

Today is ur birthday? Well happy birthday! :)

Thalassa
07-29-2012, 11:06 AM

HOW did I miss this?! Happy birthday!!!

Thalassa
07-29-2012, 11:07 AM
That's it! It is now on my bucket list to visit pods all across the US at least once.

...Now I just need money...and a tail...and money...and time. XD

Might be a while, merfolks. ;-)

Spindrift
07-29-2012, 07:53 PM
... My tails needs a haircut.

Thalassa
07-29-2012, 08:25 PM
... My tails needs a haircut.

LOL what?​

Mermaid Miel
07-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Do I ask for money to go towards buying that beautiful house with the solar panels and outdoor pool... Or for an Oceanika Merfin?
(My 27th birthday coming up next month.)

Spindrift
07-30-2012, 06:29 AM
LOL what?​

Lol it has these streamers down the sides and on the dorsal. It's getting a little out of hand so I need to get it cut/styled. I'm considering actually going to a hair salon to do it (I can't even cut my own bangs straight), but I don't know if they will do that.

Mermaid Saphira
07-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Do I ask for money to go towards buying that beautiful house with the solar panels and outdoor pool... Or for an Oceanika Merfin?
(My 27th birthday coming up next month.)

Tha house sounds lovely! I would totally go for that, then you woul have somewhre to swim ;)

Thalassa
07-30-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm so sad! I lost my nose clip in the pool today. :-(

Thalassa
08-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Ow. So, I tried on my top again after fixing the netting on the halter top so it would hold it up. It's too tight, now, and was burning even before swimming. XP I don't know if I can get it tight enough so the bra part doesn't fall off without burning. I figure I have a couple of options:

1) Cut the netting halter into 2 halves, sew a fastener or ties so it's adjustable and can come off easier

2) Replace the decorative netting with actually fabric netting (like they use for clothing halter tops

3) Scrap the top XP

MermanJesse
08-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Thought that I had on 8/2: Two full moons this month, and the second is a blue moon. All the humans better look out!

Gem Stone
08-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Swim or read, that is the question

Thalassa
08-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Swim or read, that is the question

That is a HARD question!

Merman Dan
08-08-2012, 07:21 PM
My family and I have been vacationing on the coast of NC for a few days, now. Today, while playing in the ocean, I figured out how to blow bubble rings without having to hold my nose. My 8 year old daughter also learned how to open her eyes while underwater in saltwater. :)

Merman Dan
08-08-2012, 08:19 PM
And, having learned that Mermaid Coral is most likely taken, she has chosen Mermaid Coralina. :)

spottedcatfish
08-09-2012, 03:35 AM
I posted this status update on my facebook. But I feel it needs to be re-posted here:

"So my new (larger) Finis Foil monofin came in the mail yesterday. I have yet to try it out. I got a chance today, to try it out at Fiesta Island. But I decided against it, as I was swimming with my friend, and I need to learn how to swim in the fin, maybe in a pool first to get comfortable in it, before I take it to the ocean or bay. :-( I'll swim in the pool with it tomorrow. But, I had it in my car today, and the new rubber smell, was in the car. I'm fine with it (it's a good reminder to go swimming), but my friend who didn't know what it was, said it smelt like a dead animal!! :-O Does anyone have any good tips on getting that smell to dissipate from the fin?"

and a comment under that: "I hope the smell will disappear through use, and I can't wait to try it tomorrow! :-)"

My friend did ask me later what that smell was from. I didn't really answer his question, as I am very personal about my mermaid identity, right now. But it was just a monofin, I guess i could have said, " oh i got a cool fin for swimming and it's brand new"... maybe i should try that. But he is very curious. Any suggestions for what to say, about the fin, that won't open the flood gates for a million questions, that won't put me in a nervous corner, that I'll have to share more to get out of?

seagirls626
08-09-2012, 04:09 AM
Caitlyn: Yes! Waiting for things to arrive is so HARD!

Pros and Cons of today's mer-practice:

Pros: Figured out how to get out of the pool, Made it all the way across pool without stopping for breath, Good workout

Cons: UGH! Flips were a bust because my nose clip won't stay on and my body WON'T let me breathe out when underwater, I can't reach the bottom of the pool to grab things or do any sort of bubble trick (like, seriously. Even swimming my hardest I can barely get to the bottom of the 5 ft pool).

All in all a frustrating workout because I had planned on practicing flips and bubbles today. XP

I had the same problems for a while too. Then I watched one of Hannah Mermaid's video's and it had some surprisingly helpful information! She said that if you try to calm your self down, like think of your heart rate as slowing down, than you can stay underwater longer. As for flips, I just plug my nose with my hands. It also helps to use your free hand . Like, if you move your hand in a circular motion, than you can actually get all around! lol... For the bubble tricks, I'm not sure. Elena (my friend who shares this account with me) can do bubble circles, but I can't do them very well. She said you have to go under water and look up, than pull your no up towards your forehead, and make a kissing motion with your lips, but instead, blow out.... o.O It's kinda tricky.

Mermaid Saphira
12-25-2012, 03:02 PM
How to make money for my dream fabric tail? Should I start reading to the kids at the library soon or during the summer? I really want a whale shaped Oceania merci, but I am extremely impatient... what ocean themed books should I read to the kids? To buy lumierem or not to buy the lumiere? Why do I have such a hard time sticking to projects that go on forever??

SeaGlass Siren
12-26-2012, 07:48 PM
i've got a twitter for this lol