PDA

View Full Version : Dangers while mermaiding (article for Tail Flip)

AniaR
07-07-2012, 09:39 PM
I was thinking of a potential article for tail flip about the dangers people need to be aware of while mermaiding, ones that maybe arent as obvious as drowning! Obviously there will be a good paragraph about safe swimming etc but what else do you think should be added?

A few things I recently experienced that I'm going to add

Long Nails- if you have long nails, you may want to trim them before a gig as I hurt myself trying to put my tail on at an event and ripped a nail off! It was very hard to put the tail on with a bandaged finger, and ever since then I cut them before a gig. I didnt realize either how difficult they made it to get in and out of the tail, and they can punch holes through your tail too!

Water on the floor and mertenders- today my poor mertender after picking me up, slipped on some water that hadnt been cleaned up and we both fell. Thankfully neither one of us were hurt and he managed to keep me safe and look good at the same time LOL but I think I take it for granted how easily he carries me around.

Your experiences or things to add?

Ariel
07-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Those are both really good points!

If you're including ocean swimming, maybe just make sure you know how to avoid riptides?

Merman Dan
07-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I wish I still had a picture of my bruised purple finger I got, when I was carrying my son from the shower and slipped (He has cerebral palsy and does not walk on his own, so I carry him from his power wheelchair, to the bed, to wherever). He got a bit of a goose egg, but my finger was practically eggplant hued.

New York Mermaid
07-08-2012, 12:12 AM
always be aware of your surroundings you never know when a Shark (in the ocean) Kid or flying human (diving board jumper) or surfacing one will pop up .. Ive had that happen to me a few times, mostly the kids jumping into the pool while im swimming by and the unexpected finned friend.

Mermaid Photine
07-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Not aware of yourself in space can be bad. I was night swimming without goggles last year and scraped my face against the concrete wall of the pool. It was a shallow scrape, but it refused to heal for the rest of summer, almost.

Mermaid Lorelei
07-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Like Pandorah, watch out for the ground when you're swimming, flipping, whatever. I ran my chin into the ground of my pool recently and man did it hurt. Thankfully it didn't break the skin. It was more of a hard bang.

Also, make sure children know not to hang onto you unless you give them permission. It can be dangerous to swim with that extra weight if you don't know it's coming.

Mermaid Lohgan
07-09-2012, 05:04 AM
I was swimming at night too! I felt very confident in my dolphin kick and was really going at it, but then I hit the bottom of pool and busted my lip open. It was in pain for two days. Gosh, I'm a fool.

Mermaid Saphira
07-09-2012, 08:24 AM
If you are in a pool, be cautious about scraping your tail against the bottom of the pool. It will almost indefinately bring damage any tail.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I know others have mentioned kids who jump onto "the mermaid's" back hoping for a ride and not realizing that real mermaids need to get air to breathe every so often.

Mermaid Arianna
07-09-2012, 06:29 PM
@joy&raptorsunrestrained
that happened to me a while ago but the girls mom was like "oh im sure the mermaid would love to give you a ride!" (just so you know the mermaid did not love it)

AniaR
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
thanks for these contributions! I'll be sure to put these in the article

Bellasea
07-10-2012, 12:34 AM
I tend to hit people with my monofin alot. I am still getting used to it and I don't really know where it ends. I gave my brother a nasty cut lip because I didin't see him.

Lyna
07-10-2012, 01:58 AM
i think it was hannah possible...or lindon who was bit by a small shark on her fluke and had to shake it off.
and raina mentioned being jumped on by a kid.
any kid populated event poses many dangers to mermaids...like throwing things, jumping, tugging on tails and accessories- either in excitement or trying to bust the myth.
wardrobe malfunctions with netting necklaces and hair...
people afraid of oceans or who don't want to chlorine damage their tails might be inclined to mermaid in rivers...those can have scary underwter currents. i live along black river which is one of the most viscios rivers in the country-famous for its white water rafting...but i know good places to go in at. still you have to be careful.
photoshoots can be a danger. waterfalls are AMAZING spots for great shots...but sometimes there can be algae on the rocks and only a foot of water can sometimes be enough to yank your feet out from under you, so sitting in a tail with legs bound can pose an issue. also asjudting yourself on treacherous spots for a greta pose. just be aware of your surroundings.

Mermaid Star
07-11-2012, 01:02 AM
If anything should happen to your fin during your swim know how to swim at a good enough speed to get you to the surface with your arms only. When I was testing my latex tail my feet came out of the monofin straps. My tail was useless to me and only for show after that. I had to be able to maneuver and swim to the other end of the pool and to the surface with my arms only.

Also when working around kids, be aware of them and anything possible that they could do to you or others at all times. I work with kids every day and know they can be unpredictable, I am waiting for the day a kid (that is being forced to see me by his parents) halls off and punches me. Be aware that they could jump on you, throw things at you, become frightened and start hitting you. It is best to have a plan about how you are going to handle things or how you can prevent them from happening to the best of your ability.