PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid eating seafood.

Mermaid Summer
07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Two of my friends are discussing about mermaids and eating seafood. One said that as a mermaid I would be disgusted by eating my fish friends, the other said that mermaid wouldn't upset as it is the natural order.

How do you feel about eating seafood?

Mermaid Caidence
07-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Personally, I hate eating any seafood. It just grosses me out, and I don't like the taste. Even if it tasted like the best thing on the earth, I still woudn't eat it just because I don't want to. I think I feel bad for all the sea critters. Kind of like how I would never eat a guinea pig because I have 2. If mermaids didn't eat fish or something under the water, what would they eat though? If they did eat fish, I'd just be a vegetarian mermaid.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Oh boy, I've posted quite a lot about this topic before. I personally do not believe merfolk would eat seafood(well, not counting seaweed, kelp, and other plant matter, which may be classified as seafood), since mers are often depicted as friends with fish(heck in both my series and the Disney TLMverse, most sea creatures are just as sentient as they are) and are essentially half-fish themselves so it's almost cannibalism for them, yuck! I also advocate eating no seafood, or at least limiting your consumption of it and being a conscious consumer regarding it's sustainability, for environmental and ethical reasons. Did you know that, according to some statistics, only a small percentage of what shrimp nets catch is shrimp, the rest is bycatch? Scary huh?
However, I know not everymer here agrees with me. Some other members here have brought up some valid points such as that most fish do in fact eat other fish, so in their opinion, it's not fair to call it cannibalism; biologically, it may be hard for mers to get all the nutrients they need to survive from seaweed and other plant matter, and in appearance they look like they are built more like omnivores or carnivores than herbivores, as herbivores tend to be slower-moving and have thinner hair; some don't think of fish as very intelligent so they may have no ethical qualms about eating them; and it is possible to eat animal products in a respectful and sustainable way.

@Caitlin, in my series, mers eat all kinds of food derived from sea-plants: seaberry pie, seaweed pasta, fried kelp, etc.

Mermaid Annariea
07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
i think that merfolk would definitely eat fish, crap, shrimp, etc, but not how we do. we just fish and farm in bulk, and nothing is really natural anymore, whereas they would hunt for their own food, whether for themselves if theyre loners or for their families. there would probably be vegetarian merfolk, but i dont think it would be too common, since they would have to gain much of their nutrients from the fish (or whatever else).
but what fish and how much of it a specific mer eats would depend on the area they live in as well as how plentiful the sealife is. so it would vary across the oceans. the majority would probably be omnivores, simply because (to me) i dont see merfolk as only herbivores.

personally, im not too crazy about fish (unless its in some sushi rolls. mmm, sushi... but only cooked rolls), but i do enjoy crab, shrimp, and lobster.
in fact, for those of you who arent against eating seafood, you should make spaghetti and put lump crab meat in it. its delicious. or macaroni and cheese with crab or lobster (sounds weird, but its really good). pasta with seafood make up some of my favorite meals.
but i do understand why some people are against eating seafood or meat. so i want to make it clear that im not trying to put anyone down, or anything. (:

Mermaid Arianna
07-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I am a pescatarian which means i dont eat meat but still eat fish. I hate eating sea food because it makes me feel like a cannibal (geez im in to deep). The only reason i eat sea food is because my mom told me that if i dont eat meat i have to eat fish for protein. I'm trying to reason with her but i think shes worried i will die of starvation or something...

Thalassa
07-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I honestly think merfolk would eat fish. Otherwise they wouldn't be omnivorous and their teeth would be different (if we go with evolutionary theory). I do think they would be more responsible with their "harvest," because of the environment in which they live. I think they would only hunt what they need to eat, and no more. As far as the fish friends theory, anyone who has lived on a farm knows you can get very attached to an animal and still eat it. People come to love cows, goats, pigs, sheep, dogs...and all of these are eaten in some part of the world or another. Perhaps some merfolk would choose to be more extreme in their philosophies, much like vegetarians and vegans among humans. And I believe that merfolk would be mammals, not fish...so the cannibalism isn't as bad. Besides, fish eat other fish! There's a natural president for that sort of "cannibalism." I dunno...we have to remember that "fish" is a broad term, like "mammal." That's like calling us cannibals if we eat any other mammal (which I am aware, some do).

PERSONALLY, I don't like seafood except for shrimp and occasionally tuna (I just don't like the taste), but believe that fishing is good in moderation and when only done in amounts needed for health and survival. But I understand that others have different views. Why should merfolk be any different? ;-)

Princess Kae-Leah
07-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Something I've always wondered about this topic is what's more commonly depicted in movies, books, TV, etc. vegetarian or fish-eating/carnivorous merfolk? People tend to base how they think of their favorite mythical creatures on the portrayals that inspired them to love them in the first place, so it makes perfect sense that TLM fans think of mers living together in perfect harmony with highly anthropomorphisized(sp?) sea animals, where Splash fans think of them chowing down on lobster. It's all hypothetical/speculative anyway so I'm not saying either view is wrong or right, but I wonder what the common consensus is about mers' diet among fantasy writers. I've heard before that mers are more commonly veggie friends of fish in children's media and stuff of a very light, "vanilla" nature, but are more commonly omni/carnivores in darker, more adult, more realistic works. Is that true, from you guys' experience?

@ Thalassa and Brianna-I think because biology tends to point more to omnivorism is part of the reason why I have a magical reason why the mers in my reason are vegetarian: due to a magical spell, ALL sea creatures don't eat each other and are pretty anthropomorphic and other natural instincts and bodily functions are eliminated too, which sounds pretty weird and out there I know but hopefully makes sense in context. Basically, the idea was that in order for the stereotypically sparkly dainty magical TLM or Mermaid Barbie style of merfolk to exist, there would have to be a supernatural explanation as to why they would be able to survive in such a potentially dangerous environment full of predators as the ocean, since, yes, otherwise they'd literally get eaten alive. I didn't think it would be believable to portray the ocean kingdom as a peaceful quasi-utopia without having it only being that way do to some pretty powerful magic, in other words if mers actually existed in the real world and were NOT magical creatures, they would more than likely be tough, aggressive apex predators in order to survive.

Merman Ray
07-09-2012, 08:19 PM
I believe that if there were real mermaids it would be logical for them to eat other sea creatures, that's because sea creatures do eat each other every day.

Mermaid Annariea
07-09-2012, 08:23 PM
thalassa, we have pretty much the exact same views :D

kae-leah, from what ive seen of movies, that does seem very true. but i think thats mostly because children dont want to see little flounder smiling and laughing one second and then end up sliced into bits on a plate the next. it would upset them because weve given flounder a human-like personality. i actually thought of splash when i commented earlier, haha (: and some shows even have mermaids as human-eaters. i think thats what pirates of the caribbean hinted at with their mermaids, but its not really certain, since we dont see it... but my boyfriend saw a movie once where a mermaid queen was captured and ate all the men -- only the men -- before escaping. the REALLY weird part about that movie? i was told the merqueen somehow impregnated the other girl in the movie. i dont remember what its called, but it sounds intense haha.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks for your response, Briana! I think the key word here is anthropormorphosim(sp?), as in fictional universes where the fish and other sea creatures have personalities and are treated as more or less equal to the merfolk, they're usually not gonna eat them, but if it takes place in a more realistic underwater setting, they're pretty likely to be omnivores. I mean, think about it, if cows and chickens could talk, would you eat them? I wouldn't, but since they don't, it's easy for us to treat them as not equal to us, and I suppose mers wouldn't be any different there.

Mermaid Dottie
07-09-2012, 08:42 PM
I think it would greatly depend on the mer's climate/habitat. Say you're a mer to the very far north or south. The water is really, really cold. So, in order to keep warm more efficiently, you would need a fish-based diet to keep enough fat on your body, just like whales and seals, etc. Mid-temperature mers would be more omnivorous, and equatorial mers could live off of kelp, algae, and other plant matter, just like Kae would.

Then again, as sentient as mer-people obviously are, choice, culture, and belief systems would play just as large of a role, I think.

Mermaid Dottie
07-09-2012, 08:46 PM
And, of course, I'm going more off of the "merpeople as marine mammals" theory. If merfolk are fish, then it could be entirely different.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-09-2012, 08:52 PM
I personally don't like to think of merfolk as either fish or mammals, but as magical creatures, like fairies(the mers in my series are a sub-set of nymphs).

Lyna
07-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Even novels and movies are split 50/50 on this topic....I've always loved sushi and ate it my entire life, but hated all other seafood until recently. While in Texas, I discovered crawfish and suddenly loved shrimp. Fresh lobster even. Me and the hubby now fondly reffer to all crustacians and sushi as "mermaid food" and we have great dinner dates going out to eat talking about it in such a way...bcause h knows I'm really a mermaid. :D

Neria
07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
I hate the taste of sea food... yuck. But I think that realisticly merfolk would eat fish in addition to seaweed and other ocean plants. That is only if they are considered to be in the fish or mammal category. If they are in the magical beings category then I guess they really could just survive off of nothing.

AniaR
07-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I dont eat sea food but it's more a taste thing for me. I have just never liked it, neither does my partner. If I did choose to eat it, I'd eat sustainably.

Merman Dan
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I prefer to think of merfolk as omnivores. Fish eat fish, after all. Granted, if you are in a setting like The Little Mermaid, where some of the fish talk back, I could understand a degree of trepidation.

Though if one eliminates fish from the diet, there are still other options; sea urchins, conch, sea cucumbers, shrimp, sea squirts, clams, and the like. Of course if they speak as well, then I suppose a diet of seaweed, algae, drift seeds, and sea grass is in order.

I have been running undersea RPGs for 14 years. Needless to say, devising interesting items for the evening repast has been both fun and challenging. A tray of blue lobsters with a side of bumblebee shrimp might be both delicious and visually appealing. A ball of red seaweed filled with tiny red shrimp harvested from volcanic vents might also be good. Of course if your adventuring party is attacked by sharks, eels, or barracuda, that's a meal in itself.

Envision mushroom coral wrapped around abalone meat, marinated krill served inside the rounded exoskeleton of a sea urchin, or strips of sunfish steaks garnished with powered pearls.

In my game, there is a variety of edible sea sponge known as sweetsponge. While a great delicacy in its own right, sweetsponge is often used to absorb fermented inkwine. Also, just as Drylanders sink baited lines into the sea to catch fish, the undersea races float baited lassos up to the surface, to catch sea birds.

You can get great ideas for undersea feasts by perusing the Monterey Bay Aquarium sustainable seafood guide.

As for me, I love seafood. Lobster, snapper, scallops, shrimp, or sushi. It's all good.

Mermaid Dottie
07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey, Kae-Leah! Would you eat This sushi? LOL!
4017<<<----Candy Sushi
It's Rice Krispies, gummie worms, swedish fish, and green fruit roll-ups. :)

halesloveswhales
07-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Hmm do you think mermaids would find it cannibalism that humans on land eat cows and pigs? I think it's sort of the same the same concept.
We as humans are friends with our dogs and pets and such. Sometimes we're even friends with cows. But we still eat some cows without batting an eye. Personally, thinking that my hamburger was once a living thing sort of disgusts me, but if I try not to think about it, then I can enjoy it and receive the nutrition that I need. I feel like it would be the same with merfolk. Maybe they are friends with certain creatures, but they eat others and just try not to think about it. Sort of like we do.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Mmm, looks pretty good!

Mermaid Summer
07-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I prefer to think of merfolk as omnivores. Fish eat fish, after all. Granted, if you are in a setting like The Little Mermaid, where some of the fish talk back, I could understand a degree of trepidation.

Though if one eliminates fish from the diet, there are still other options; sea urchins, conch, sea cucumbers, shrimp, sea squirts, clams, and the like. Of course if they speak as well, then I suppose a diet of seaweed, algae, drift seeds, and sea grass is in order.

I have been running undersea RPGs for 14 years. Needless to say, devising interesting items for the evening repast has been both fun and challenging. A tray of blue lobsters with a side of bumblebee shrimp might be both delicious and visually appealing. A ball of red seaweed filled with tiny red shrimp harvested from volcanic vents might also be good. Of course if your adventuring party is attacked by sharks, eels, or barracuda, that's a meal in itself.

Envision mushroom coral wrapped around abalone meat, marinated krill served inside the rounded exoskeleton of a sea urchin, or strips of sunfish steaks garnished with powered pearls.

In my game, there is a variety of edible sea sponge known as sweetsponge. While a great delicacy in its own right, sweetsponge is often used to absorb fermented inkwine. Also, just as Drylanders sink baited lines into the sea to catch fish, the undersea races float baited lassos up to the surface, to catch sea birds.

You can get great ideas for undersea feasts by perusing the Monterey Bay Aquarium sustainable seafood guide.

As for me, I love seafood. Lobster, snapper, scallops, shrimp, or sushi. It's all good.

My goodness that sounds wonderful!

MermanJesse
07-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Hmm do you think mermaids would find it cannibalism that humans on land eat cows and pigs? I think it's sort of the same the same concept.
We as humans are friends with our dogs and pets and such. Sometimes we're even friends with cows. But we still eat some cows without batting an eye. Personally, thinking that my hamburger was once a living thing sort of disgusts me, but if I try not to think about it, then I can enjoy it and receive the nutrition that I need. I feel like it would be the same with merfolk. Maybe they are friends with certain creatures, but they eat others and just try not to think about it. Sort of like we do.

I agree...

In the REAL world if merfolk exist, they would not have a two sided conversation with fish, as we do not have a two sided conversation with cows, chicken, deer, etc.

I believe that merfolk would farm different fish, mussels, and plants for different reasons such as we do with terrestrial sources of food.

MerEmma
09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm from Florida, and my dad's a fisherman. I eat a lot of seafood, and I think I can easily see mer-kind eating it. :p

Mizuko
09-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Seafood is my favourite food... ever... ><;;;
I guess to me... mermaids come in all shapes and sizes, all colours and cultures. So there are vegan, vegetarian and omnivorous mermaids. I guess my image of mermaids is more like a normal society, just under the sea. We have our pets, which (in most cultures) we dont eat, and then we have our farmed meat, and then the 'wild' game.
Personally, all the men in my family are fishermen. I grew up eating fish and shellfish every. single. day. And I love it, but I would never expect anyone else to love it just because I feel they should. Every one (and every mer) can be who they want to be and do what they want to do ^__^

NewYorkMermaid
09-26-2012, 02:27 AM
I eat shrimp and crabs, and on some extremely rare occasions, smoked salmon. thats about it on my seafood diet..lol

Merman_Shawn
09-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Trout and catfish(fresh water, but still applies I think), crab, shrimp, eel, mahi mahi, yellow-fin tuna, and delicious striped bass! I try to eat things that aren't over-fished, and aren't high in mercury content. Responsible and sustainable fish eating is possible, you just have to educate yourself before you sit down to order.

Merman Dan
09-26-2012, 08:48 AM
I eat shrimp and crabs, and on some extremely rare occasions, smoked salmon.

Which end did you light? Sorry, old Beverly Hillbillies joke, there. ;)

Alveric
09-26-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't care much for fish and will only eat them during Lent.

Shellfish and crustaceans on the other hand...Yum!

Mermaid Saphira
09-26-2012, 12:56 PM
The only seafood i eat consists of lobster and shrimp. The rest is just gross to me O.o

Atlantis
09-26-2012, 07:06 PM
I have never liked sea food/fish personally.

From an ocean conservation view: If the fishing industry were more responsible they i could see why people would consume sea products, but as it stands I think people should be more responsible about where their meat (of any kind) comes from. Personally I only eat local free range organic meat (cow, turkey, etc), and like I said I dont care for fish.

As a performer I tell kids who ask that I am a vegi mer 'I love seaweed salad!" and the classic "Fish are friends not food'

in movies most mers seem to be omnivorous (Splash lobster scene), except in the movie 'Fish Tales" where our lead mermaid says 'I happen to be a vegetarian thank you!"

viewing mers a ocean mammals I would think it would be part of the natural order of thing for them to eat whatever they can catch, sea weed, fish, etc.

But as mers I would like to see us advocating for the life in the ocean. Im not 'against' eating meat of any kind. I am just advocating being more conscious of our impact on the rest of our delicate world, especially our beautiful oceans.

Koral
09-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Hee hee as I told Lei Loni, "It's a fish eat fish world out there."

Morticia Mermaid
09-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I love ALL kinds of see food, from fish to shell fish, clams and muscles... In every way of life there is a food chain. In africa, you don't see lions going veggie cause the gazelles have feelings. All animals have feelings, I know this, I see it every day. But its the chain of life, everything lives and everything dies, and everything eventually gets eaten by one thing or another. The only thing I am against regarding animals is the abuse 90% of them see. There is plenty of sustainable food sources :) no need to drain the seas of animal life or the forests of dwindling populations. Kill what you need to survive, thats what I live by :) Fish may be friends, but they are also yummy food too (and not just to me, lots of bigger fish eat smaller fish, again the food chain)

drucilla
07-22-2013, 02:37 PM
@Caitlin, in my series, mers eat all kinds of food derived from sea-plants: seaberry pie, seaweed pasta, fried kelp, etc. You know there actually is seaweed pasta and fried kelp available right? I haven't tried it yet though. Also I was wondering, in your series how do they cook the food?

drucilla
07-22-2013, 02:43 PM
What about eating people? There are plenty of stories about that too... lol

Mermaid Oshun
07-22-2013, 02:58 PM
I never tried seaweed or kelp but I love seafood. (catfish, sea trout, shrimp lobsters you name it!)

Aziara
07-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Did you know that, according to some statistics, only a small percentage of what shrimp nets catch is shrimp, the rest is bycatch? Scary huh?
I hate to be contrary, and it may be different in other places of the world, but my dad was a shrimper for a few years. I would say bycatch is only 2-3%, and the bycatch is usually made good use of and cooked up for the shrimper's dinner. It may have been more in the past, but now there's all these special excluders that guide anything too much bigger than the shrimp out of the nets (such as turtles). Some Vietnamese families actually live completely on their boats, eating only the bycatch.
You know there actually is seaweed pasta and fried kelp available right? I haven't tried it yet though. Also I was wondering, in your series how do they cook the food?
Recipe time! Get some nori seaweed sheets (they are used for sushi), slice in strips, brush lightly with a mixture of seasame oil and soy sauce, sprinkle with cayenne. Put in the oven on a baking sheet at a low temperature (200? I really can't remember, and it isn't vital. Just so it's warm) about ten minutes. Awesome for snacks.

Mary Marine
07-22-2013, 07:58 PM
But as mers I would like to see us advocating for the life in the ocean. Im not 'against' eating meat of any kind. I am just advocating being more conscious of our impact on the rest of our delicate world, especially our beautiful oceans.

As a lover of fish, living or fried, I agree completely. I am constantly seeing lists of what fish to not eat/buy in regards to health (wild ones full of mercery vs farmed ones full of antibiotics) and sustainability. As mermaids, I think we should be up to date on this issue. Even if one does not personally eat fish, the rest of the world does.

SeaSister
07-22-2013, 08:28 PM
I, personally, love eating seafood. I'm also a pescatarian (no meat or fowl, but I do eat seafood), and I have to say that my favourites include shrimp, scallops, oysters and salmon.

Also, I've always envisioned merpeople as being more closely related to whales, porpoises and dolphins than fish, and therefore sharing traits with their cetacean friends. This would mean blubber to keep them warm, short limbs, and a mouthful of small, conical incisors for teeth. They would feed on schools of herring and sardines, but also crack open shellfish, like otters, when it's available. Also, Aeolus, I love your elaborate deep-sea menu. :)

Floating bait for catching seabirds? Brilliant! XD

EDIT: For those concerned with the environmental problems surrounding fishing, I only eat wild, locally-caught, OceanWise salmon, which is readily available up here on the coast of Beautiful British Columbia. A lot of restaurants offer wild-caught fish, and my dad makes a fantastic barbequed salmon, also using the OceanWise-recommended salmon. :)

SeaGlass Siren
07-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Monterey bay aquarium has a list of sustainable seafood. And they're constantly updating the app for it.

Miyu
07-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I think that the majority of Mers would indeed eat some form of animal-based food. As previously stated, Mers appear to be omnivores, and would most likely sustainably harvest from the ocean, just as many of our ancestors did before industrialization made the population boom and we developed ways to harvest/farm in greater quantities. It may be fish, shellfish, fish eggs (caviar), squid, and perhaps the occasional shark killed when it attacked - think of the Native Americans (or the Na'vi from the Avatar films) - they think of all creatures as equals, as brothers, but understand that everything gets eaten by something, that everything has its place in the circle of life. No, many Mers may not go out looking for a shark for dinner, but if one attacks, and the only option available to defend oneself is to kill it? Well, don't let it go to waste, honor that animal's spirit by utilizing it - just like it was going to do to you. Survival of the fittest and all. This mainly applies to Mers living in OUR world - that is, if Mers existed here, on this Earth that we are on, not on DisneyEarth or FantasyWorldEarth where there's an abundance of magic and fish are smarter (yeah, fish are awesome, and can be pretty smart, but really, their brain is tiny and instinct-driven, and you're much less likely to have a two-way meaningful interaction with a cod than you are a dolphin or whale).

Now, that's not to say there aren't vegetarian/vegan Mers in their society, just like there are in ours. There may be any number of reason for this, just as there is up here on land. I wouldn't say a fish was talking to a Mer, but just as humans can feel so strongly towards animals above the water that they don't want to eat any animal, perhaps fish give enough delight to a Mer that they decide to go vegetarian/vegan. There are still many options beyond sea plants for them! There are many trees overhanging water that will drop their fruit or nuts into the water - local Mers might collect these. There are also many plants that grow close to the water's edge that a Mer might pluck. In freshwater, there are many tubers that grow in the soil of bodies of water. I like to think that perhaps even omnivorous, saltwater Mers might eat such things, because (being omnivores) they would need a variety of nutrients beyond fish (although there are some Inuit - I think - tribes that used to eat only fish/seal/etc until things like McDonald's and grocery stores with junk food showed up). Perhaps the freshwater foods are an "imported delicacy" in the sea, and vice-versa?

What about human food? Surely some Mer was offered a treat by a human admirer? (or stole their gummy bears, LOL)

Of course, if your MerWorld has an abundance of magic, well then there's a lot of options as to not eating fish friends :PMermaid Arianna: There are a lot of sources of non-animal protein! Heck, I went raw vegan for a year and ate the most delectable food no-one believed was healthy, got more usable protein than on an animal diet, and had crazy amounts of energy - I bicycled everywhere (no, seriously, I zipped across the entire city every day on my giant pink furry bike). I got in shape as well, but never lost my curves, and I never looked underfed. Most people couldn't tell I ate raw vegan, other than that I looked a lot healthier. I even got featured in the local newspaper, haha! So if you or anyone need some tips on getting enough protein/nutrients, feel free to PM me :)

Man, you guys really help a mer get over writer's block with all the awesome discussion topics!

Miyu
07-22-2013, 09:01 PM
That's an awesome site, I bookmarked it :)

Mary Marine
07-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Monterey bay aquarium has a list of sustainable seafood. And they're constantly updating the app for it.

Thanks for the tip, their website is exactly what I was looking for!

mermaidwhisperer
07-23-2013, 02:03 AM
I love seafood. In my books, the mers spend half their time on land so they eat whatever (healthily-most are vegetarians)-but like me they are VERY conscientious about how they eat them. I'm married to a man who loves to fish, but I'm a big advocate for not fishing in green zones, only catching what you need, making sure it's legal size (do you have that over there? We have strict rules here in Australia) and I hate it when people break the rules and eat female mud crabs, which is against the law. I interviewed a marine biologist about this almost two weeks ago and he doesn't have a problem with recreational fishing either-so long as the green zones are observed.
And I have to say, the seafood in Australia is exceptional. I tried it overseas-yeuch! Coral trout and Mudcrabs make lobster taste like dirt in comparison :)
On a side note-I have serious issues with prawns (uh...shrimp). They're gross and painful to peel and de-vein and they bigger they are, the stronger the taste is-and not in a good way.

Mermaid Kelda
07-23-2013, 07:02 AM
I totally agree with you about prawns; the poo-tube is way too hard to get rid of xD I'll only eat them smothered in garlic and olive oil, and perfectly de-pood (which usually means I peel them myself, which I'm terrible at). Needless to say I don't have prawns very often, even though I'm going against Aussie culture :P

My parents live along the Pumicestone Passage, so I grew up on mud crabs and bream. Seafood is so easy to catch and cook (and tastes so good!), and I'm sure merfolk would harvest them in similar ways to our on-land meat. They'd probably have the right kind of stomachs and metabolisms to not need to cook it, either - Sméagol style!

mermaidwhisperer
07-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Sushi!
Yeah prawns are just a lot of hassle for a teeny tiny serving. Mud crab too. My husband's hands are raw when he's done pulling put the meat

SeaGlass Siren
07-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I'll tell you a secret.. Use a knife to split the back (but don't slice the while shrimp in half) and then you use that knife to remove the poo tube.

SeaGlass Siren
07-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Mary and moonlight; No problem ;)

mermaidwhisperer
07-23-2013, 09:33 AM
I can actually do the de-veining thing with my fingernail now! My husband is the master-i make him peel all he wants and then have 2 :)

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Here's something I didn't remember until just now. In The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader book Lucy looks down into the water and sees a mermaid tending to a school of fish the way humans tend flocks of sheep or goats. Why would it be strange for mer-people to farm and raise their own food, like we do?

Echidna
07-25-2013, 09:04 PM
What about eating people? There are plenty of stories about that too... lol

Sshh...it's a secret :D

No, but really.
It depends on the culture from which the mer in questions stems.
There are precious few mermaid breeds, who seem to be harmless and generally friendly to humans
(Merrows, Asrais, Selkies...), although their diet is not mentioned, it COULD contain fish and other sea creatures.

The big bulk of water faeries, however, either hunt and eat humans, or nothing at all (that we know of;
whether or not fairies HAVE to eat, considering how ethereal some of them are, is speculative at best).

I'm a veggie, and the term "seafood" is an abomination in itself.
It's like calling people "landfood", from my point of view...
I know I was completely certain when watching Splash as a kid that the mermaid would pale, scream, and faint when presented with the lobster.
I was flabbergasted she didn't, and I still feel it was wrong.

Since seaweed is incredibly nutricious and tasty though (my favourite dish, you won't know it unless you spent some time in Asia proper), I'm sure "real" merfolk would not have to consume sea creatures for sustenance :)

Mermaid Kelda
07-25-2013, 10:00 PM
It all depends on whatever "moral code" they live by. They might be like humans, with some mass-production across oceans (not all fish is available everywhere, plants grow in different environments, etc) and smaller, community-based fishing and gathering, with some being their version of vegetarian.
They might live like some human tribes in harsher areas, who kill and eat only what they need to survive, having a use for every part of the body (seal skin/whale blubber for warmth, etc).
Or, like you suggest, they might live like Tibetan Buddhists and consume no meat at all.

Gosh this is fun to imagine xD

Kumori Kitsune
07-30-2013, 11:46 PM
personally I think they would. I love animals curtain ones I wont eat but most I think are alright to eat. I love sea food its my favvvv. Plus I just remember Jim Gaffigan fun to pet better to chew. Lol

Here he's so funny he doesn't like fish but its on the topic

http://youtu.be/DV4Jl0Q-beE

I just have always lovedddd sea food.

Squid girl