PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Crafter/Costumer

Awenya
07-10-2012, 02:41 PM
I had been researching mermaid tails about eight months ago and I gave up because I tend to screw up three times before finally getting things right when crafting, and I have very high standards for things looking realistic (which is probably the worst combination imaginable, haha). Anyway, I have decided to possibly order a tail from Mermaid Parties (waiting for Stevi to get back to me), and I was going to ask to see if a gold/copper/bronze duotone with black would be possible for the tail.

However, I thought tops might be a bit easier than tails to start with. I have very little sewing experience or skill, but I'm willing to learn! I was thinking some sort of halter (though I'm eighteen my boobs are as perky as my mom's, ugh). The sea shell bras look too revealing/too little supported for me. I was just going to ask you to lend some general ideas of how to go about making one! I was thinking of buying a cheap bra at Ross and gluing (super gluing? e600ing?) shells and things on to it and cutting off the part that wraps around the torso and replacing it with netting and doing the same with the straps (only turning it into a halter).

I would gladly appreciate advice!

Lyna
07-10-2012, 03:32 PM
e6000 and loctite marine epoxy are a mermaids dream crafting adhesives. i made mine with a push up bra. just be careful because all the extra padding soaks up water...and depending on where you're swimming at...you probably arent going to want to be washing it too roughly because the shells could break in the wash. so if you're underwater mermaiding in fresh water lakes and what not...just be prepared for it to smell like it after a while.
you could also try a bikni top and decorate that...and wear the silicone false boobies...they stick to skin fairly well...when i worked as a coyote ugly girl i wore them always and even mid summer heat with sweat, dancing, and being under the spotlight-they held. but they do run 25-30$ a pair and you will have to get new ones every dozen wears, especially if you'retaking them in water. but the pressure of the top over them does help keep them in place even as the edge part of glue start to break down.
hope this helps!

AniaR
07-10-2012, 06:33 PM
there's quite a few tutorials on tops already on the forum you may wanna check out, also, welcome to the site

Calypso
07-12-2012, 02:46 AM
On the same idea, how well does hemp hold up underwater? (Like a pool)

Mermiah
03-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Itchy as crap lol but it doesn't pull and it keeps its strength :) cotton yarn also works pretty well (but can lose color)