PDA

View Full Version : Latex tail tutorial

Mermaid Cascada
07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi everymer :) I am posting this to show you how to make a latex mermaid/merman tail.
Most of the information you can find on mermaid star's thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?587-Star-s-First-Tailmaking-Experience
Here are the materials you will need, where to find them, and the prices.
Materials Needed
Latex (Material for the actual tail)
RD-407 Mask Making Latex
Found at: http://www.monstermakers.com/
Price: $154.95
Cement (material used to make molds of your fluke and extra fins)
Ultra-cal 30 cement (gypsum cement)
Found at: http://www.monstermakers.com/
Price: $35.95 (for a 50lb. bag)
Clay (for sculpture of making fluke and extra fins)
Any clay is fine as long as it is sulfur free because sulfur can interfere with the curing process on both latex and silicone.
WED clay
Found at: http://www.monstermakers.com/product/em-217-wed-clay.html
Price: $16.50 (for 25lbs.)
3-4 packs of adhesive foam sheets (for making scales)
Found at: Usually found at any craft store. (I got mine at Michaels, $8 for a 9in. * 12in. 12 sheets in a pack.
Price: $8
Wood (for a scale mold box)
Found at: Ay home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes.
Circle paper punch (to cut out scales)
Found at: Any craft store. ( I also got mine from michales)
Price: $16 It is important to get the right size or you will have a hard time fitting the foam in.
Neoprene ( for latex to rest on while you swim instead of having it on your skin.)
Found at: http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/browse/95
Price: $ 18 a yard ( a yard is 3 feet so seven to nine feet is a safe area for a tail with fluke and extra fins included.)
Mono-fin (optional)
Mono-fins are optional but are a necessity if you want speed and propulsion while swimming with your tail through the water. Mono-fins can start at $50 and go up to $400! Depending on what size they are.
Found at: Finis-fins.com,Scuba stores and swimoutlet.com
Step 1:Measuring and making a pattern4862 This is mermaid Star's pattern :)
You can make a pattern by following the information found in the videos and tutorials here...:http://mernetwork.com/index/content.php?135-Tutorials-and-How-to-Guides .
It is critical to make sure both sides of your fluke are symmetrical. This will be your tail template and if the fluke sides are not the same it will mess up your casting.
Step 2: making a mold box 4863 This is mermaid Star's scale mold box
To make your mold box use you tail template too measure the box. The box should be as long as your tail template and about a foot wider on each side. The reason I tell you to add a foot to each side is because after the latex is all done you can cut it and bond it to your neoprene with more latex or you can bond it with latex a you wrap the scales around so you don't have to cut it. When you are done you can add a zipper and add some extra fins to hide it. This method will make it much easier :D ( I know this concept is really confusing so if you have any questions leave it in the comment box and I will answer you as soon as possible. :) ) After screwing the wood together with your dimensions (Optional: plus a foot width on each side) You can use hot glue to seal any spaces between the wood and where the other pieces of wood should connect.
Step 3: Cutting the scales
Use your circle paper puncher to cut circles out of you foam sheets. (These circles will serve as scales in your mold box.) Make sure to cut all of them so you have enough. After they are all cut you can start laying the circles.
Step 4: Laying the scales
When you lay your scales make sure they are firmly pressed on the wood and will not come off when you start making the mold. If the foam is not adhesive or the circles simply won't stick, you can use a hot glue gun to secure them to the wood. Make sure your scales are straight and neat because this is the way they will look on your tail.

Firemaid
07-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Great product list! totes saving this! Thanks!!!

Mermaid Saphira
07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Nice work Kimmie, you did a great job on the products list ;)

Mermaid Cascada
07-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Thank you Aqua :D and your welcome Firemaid

Mermaid Crystal
08-10-2012, 10:11 PM
I LOVE THIS PAGE!

Mermaid Crystal
08-15-2012, 05:52 PM
this is so helpful!

Mer_Adella
09-24-2012, 03:42 PM
This was helpful....but
do you not do anything for the fluke? like is this just the whole tutorial or do you do anything special for the fluke?
I have seen some people use clay and stuff like that?

I want to use this tutorial but i am just curious because i dont want to mess it up :P

Mermaid Cascada
11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
OMG!!! Sorry guys, I didn't realize anyone was posting here and I forgot to finish the tutorial... :doh: I will finish it as soon as I find my notes. Sorry guys.

Mermaid Cascada
08-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Ugh I forgot again! I'm gonna finish it now lol I'm such a doofus!

Mermaid Cascada
08-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Step 5: Sculpting you're fluke.
To sculpt your fluke, you can sculpt it on top of your monofin or not lol. Make sure you sculpt on a flat surface. You'll need clay, some paper (optional), some sculpting tools (optional), scissors(optional), a permanant marker (optional), water, and space. You can use the paper to trace your monofin and draw your fluke. Make sure it symmetrical by folding it in half. Make adjustments by cutting it too be even. Lay your paper on the flat surface and use a permanant marker to trace it. Remove the paper when your done tracing. Now lay out your clay on top and sculpt your fluke! Note: making your fluke symmetrical is very important! If its not symmetric you'll have trouble later. Build a wall around your sculpt. This will help later when you make a mold. The wall can be made of clay or wood. Actually anything you like!

Step 6: Molding
You'll need your molding material and a release material so your mold doesn't stick to your sculpt or ruin your scales. Mix your molding material and have it ready. Apply a release agent to your scale box and your fluke sculpt. This is to prevent the molding material from bonding to your fluke and scales.
Make sure they are thoroughly covered. Apply your molding material as the directions state. Allow it to cure. When your molds are done curing seperate them from the sculpts and the scales. That's how you make your molds!

Mermaid Cascada
08-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Step 7: now your ready to cast!
You'll need you're latex and your molds for this step!
Fill your mold with latex! First brush on a layer of latex to capture detail. Keep doing this until you think it'll have enough detail. Wait for it to cure and remove it from the molds. You will have to do this twice for your fluke and maybe twice for your scales if you want two seams. Now you have your casts!

Mermaid Cascada
08-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Step 8: Painting!!!! (Yaaay!)
Materials needed :): paint and your casts!
Your paint will have to be based with your latex. So mix your paint in with some latex. Or you can buy paint that already base from monstermakers.com Now... Lol I feel like I'm on a cooking show. Well, ignore that random outburst. Now, paint your casts the way you want. Painting can be so much fun! Add any details you want and whatnot. Lol I just said whatnot.... Lol now allow your paint to dry. You might have to add more layers for better coverage. You can use an airbrush to paint or you can use a paintbrush. Be careful when using a paintbrush because this can cause streaking which might not be very appealing on a tail. Or maybe it's the effect you want. Soft paintbrushes don't cause as much streaking as hard ones.

Mermaid Cascada
08-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Step 9: Sealing Your Fluke
Now you can seal you're fluke!
Materials needed: your two fluke casts, an extra pair of hands (optional), and some glue! (Preferably e6000).
i don't think latex sticks to itself after its cured because its not like silicone. So you'll need some strong glue. Lay one cast of your fluke facing the ground. Now apply glue on its backside and glue the monofin in place. Now apply glue to the rest of the fluke and monofin. Place the other half of the fluke facing towards you. And sandwich the pieces together. Make sure it's sealed completley. You can add drainage slits if its not. But it's really imprtant to make sure it is.

Mermaid Cascada
08-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Step 10: Gluing Your Scales
You will need some more glue (e6000) and your scale casts!
If you are going to be glueing your scales to neoprene on a dummy you can do that or you can cut neoprene to you measurements an sew it; then add the scales by glueing them to the neoprene. Latex doesn't have much stretch to it so take this into consideration. If you aren't using neoprene cut the latex to your measurement and add an inch on each side for some space when you seam your scales. Also make sure you add a couple inches to the bottom for your fluke. Use glue to glue the very sides of the scales. One on too of the other so they aren't that noticeable. Do this with both sides. Now let the glue dry and you have your seamed tail body! Yaaaay!

Step 11: Finishing your tail
Now you'll need your tail body, some glue (e6000), and your fluke.
this step is pretty straight forward and simple. Just glue the end of your scale body to your fluke. Make sre it's secured and completley sealed!Now your tail is finished! You can do touch ups now if you want or you can take it for a swim!

jazz2453
08-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Nice job!:)

Mermaid Cascada
08-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Thankyou! :D

Mermaid Adriel
06-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Thank you very much for this! <3

painfullyiced
08-24-2016, 04:28 PM
So I'm about here for my tail; are the scales glued with the e6000 or a different type of glue?? I'm terrified I'll start and find out its the wrong kind

Step 10: Gluing Your Scales
Use glue to glue the very sides of the scales. One on too of the other so they aren't that noticeable. Do this with both sides. Now let the glue dry and you have your seamed tail body! Yaaaay!

Step 11: Finishing your tail
Now you'll need your tail body, some glue (e6000), and your fluke.

AniaR
08-24-2016, 08:11 PM
I dont think this user is active anymore. Thread is from 2012, with a last post from the user in 2013...

painfullyiced
08-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Oh no! :( I guess I should've looked at that. My screen on my phone is busted... should I start my own thread about the differences in glue?

I dont think this user is active anymore. Thread is from 2012, with a last post from the user in 2013...

merwandering
08-24-2016, 10:39 PM
PLEASE DO!!!<3 I didn't know this was a thing- then I saw one in person today, a neoprene tail with latex individual scales- it was incredible and beautiful and had all the things I gave up on with my silicone tail and doesnt weigh 500 lbs and I AM OBSESSED!!!!