PDA

View Full Version : Greeting Everyone!

Merman_Shawn
07-13-2012, 02:50 AM
Hello everyone! So I've been "lurking" on these forums and various pages for years, but figured it was about time to make an account and introduce myself.
I'm Shawn, I'm 28, I live in New York, but have lived in California and grew up in Colorado. As a child, I would visit my Grandparents in Florida, and my favorite place on the planet to go was Weeki Wachi Springs. Needless to say I've loved merfolk for years and am trying to make my way into this wonderful community.
I have always had an affinity with the ocean, and I'm so pleased to announce I finally live within walking distance from the water. The only downside is that I live right next to a jellyfish nursery. Don't try to swim if I ever have you over as you can't move an inch in any direction without bumping into hundreds of them lol.
I'm a make up artist by trade(SFX and Beauty Make Up), and I'm about to attempt to make my first silicone tail. The resources provided here are very detailed and helpful. Thanks to everyone for contributing!
Ok, I'm done rambling, nice to meet everyone!

Merman Shawn

spottedcatfish
07-13-2012, 04:12 AM
Welcome Merman_Shawn. Where did you live in California?

Merman_Shawn
07-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Thank you spottedcatfish! I lived in Temecula(That's about half-way between LA and San Diego for the non-California people). I see you live in SD, I'm so jealous! I love San Diego and would move back in a heartbeat if the job market ever gets out of the crapper.

Spindrift
07-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Glad to see another NY-based mer on the boards :)

Merman_Shawn
07-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Glad to see another NY-based mer on the boards :)

Hurray! Another NY Mer! Did you go the Mermaid Parade/Ball last month? It was my first, I had such a great time!
I would love to find a swimming buddy, I have many years of swimming experience, but I lack a bit in the mono-fin department.

Spindrift
07-13-2012, 08:14 AM
I didn't get to go this year :( I am hoping to next year though! I'm not in NYC but am in the state. When are you getting a monofin?
There are a few other NY-based mermaids on the forum too! Check out the Pod of New England: http://mernetwork.com/index/forumdisplay.php?55-Pod-of-New-England

AniaR
07-13-2012, 12:30 PM
nice to meet you shawn, love the hair! If I type sean by mistake please forgive me, my BF is a sean XD

Merman_Shawn
07-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I didn't get to go this year :( I am hoping to next year though! I'm not in NYC but am in the state. When are you getting a monofin?
There are a few other NY-based mermaids on the forum too! Check out the Pod of New England: http://mernetwork.com/index/forumdisplay.php?55-Pod-of-New-England

I plan to get one very soon! I'm still shopping around to figure out which one I want, but this site has a wealth of information which has been very helpful. I will most certainly check out the NE Pod. :)

Merman_Shawn
07-13-2012, 01:10 PM
nice to meet you shawn, love the hair! If I type sean by mistake please forgive me, my BF is a sean XD

Thank you Raina! I've admired you from afar for a while now. It's nice to finally meet you.
It's perfectly fine, it wouldn't be the first time I've been called "Sean". lol

Mermaid Dottie
07-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi, Shawn! Welcome! I think it's cool you get to see jellyfish all the time. Will you keep us updated on your tail? A great thread to visit for building one is Star's (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?587-Star-s-First-Tailmaking-Experience&highlight=star).
She kept a very detailed account over months of working on her tail.

spottedcatfish
07-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Thank you spottedcatfish! I lived in Temecula(That's about half-way between LA and San Diego for the non-California people). I see you live in SD, I'm so jealous! I love San Diego and would move back in a heartbeat if the job market ever gets out of the crapper.

Well, I hope you can visit one day.

green52
07-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Welcome. Its cool that you do special effects makeup. Not to put any pressure on you, but I'd really like to see any costumes you create.

Mermaid Lorelei
07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Welcome Shawn! :>

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Welcome Shawn! I've liked your posts and contributions to the threads. Hope you're having a great weekend (and I have to second Raina's compliment on your hair) :)

Nyx
07-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Welcome!

Merman_Shawn
07-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Green52 , I have pictures, but they're on a hard drive at the bottom of a box in my storage unit. If I come across it, I'll upload some pics.

Merman Dan
07-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Welcome!

The only downside is that I live right next to a jellyfish nursery.

I'd pay cash money to swim here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6lNUhBAS8U

Anya
07-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Greetings Shawn!!
Whereabouts in Colorado did you grow up?

Merman_Shawn
07-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Ĉolius, I'm not sure the ones here are the "safe to swim with" type of Jelly. :P
Anya, I spent my early childhood in Aurora, then we moved to Parker when I was 12, and after that I moved to Denver on my own when I was 18.

Anya
07-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Oh! I grew up not to far away from Denver. Longmont area.
SFX sounds so exciting! I too would love to see some of your work!