PDA

View Full Version : How do I seal in spray-paint?

Firemaid
07-13-2012, 08:33 PM
So I'm repainting my tail tomorrow! Yay! I'll post pictures I promise. What product do ya'll recommend to seal it in? Someone recently said that I should use silicone to seal in my paint job? What would that process look like?
Thanks for always helping! I love you all:)
-Maria4135

merboy78xy
07-14-2012, 01:09 AM
beautiful job there! Lovely tail! I haven't ever tried, but I also thought if you gave it a coat of a clear silicone or latex or something it might seal it in, provided that the spray paint was already on a material that it could adhere to

Ilonka
07-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Such a beautiful paintjob! Buy clear silicone or clear Alex plus if you don't want to spend too much and just paint it on. It will be white at first but they dry clear, just make sure you buy the clear ones!

Firemaid
07-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Such a beautiful paintjob! Buy clear silicone or clear Alex plus if you don't want to spend too much and just paint it on. It will be white at first but they dry clear, just make sure you buy the clear ones!
Thank you Ilonka! What brand of sillicone do you recommend?

Firemaid
07-27-2012, 01:20 AM
New Paint job!!! What do you think?4834

ShyMer
07-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Lovely job!

Spindrift
07-27-2012, 08:21 AM
That looks amazing/awesome/fantastic/gorgeous! You ma'am, have a lot of talent with those spray cans!

Spindrift
07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Also as a sealant, perhaps Perma-wet, from Monster Makers?

Firemaid
07-27-2012, 10:40 AM
I can't take credit for the amazing can control you see here. My friend painted it for me! He did a great job! I kinda miss the old fluke though...

Firemaid
07-27-2012, 10:50 AM
If anyone has successfully sealed in a paint job, I would LOVE to hear about it!! Does anyone out there have experience with perma wet? Will it work for this? What about Alex plus??

Spindrift
07-27-2012, 11:27 AM
I have a giant bottle of Perma-wet, but haven't used it yet. Jesse uses it on his silicone tails though. I'm pretty sure it will work, but it will leave a permanent watery shine to your tail. They have another one that has a more matte look, if you want the "wet look" to be more subtle. And ever since the health issues became known with ALEX Plus I've stayed away from it, so I have no idea about that.

And kudos to your friend then! Yeah I liked the old fluke, but this one is also cool!

Mermaid Dottie
07-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I could cry over that beautiful paint job.

Winged Mermaid
07-27-2012, 02:49 PM
I really favor Spindrift's suggestion! However Jesse's tails are dragonskin, and I'm not sure if anyone has used it for that purpose before. My first always advisement with new materials: Test Swatch!!! Either on a discrete part of your tail or on a scrap piece of the same fabric that your tail is made of, painted with the same paint.

If you're interested in using tin cure silicone, GE Silicone II (Kitchen and Bath GE5040 Clear) (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/caulking-sealants/ge/12-pack-98-oz-clear-kitchen-bath-silicone-ii-caulk-93710.html#.UBLhRo7CREw) is what has been used by many. Platinum silicone when left unpigmented WILL turn yellow then brown over time. Know that no one has owned a tin cure silicone tail long enough to know if it discolors over time, so that is a possibility. Also you may want to look at the Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) (http://whatsinproducts.com/msds.php?brandId=10922) before you handle it. Toxicity is a concern with all tin cure and caulking materials, as it is not considered skin safe. If you decide to work with this, you can either cover it and have it just be a smooth sealant, or you can add scale or fluke texture to it. (See threads on ALEX Plus for that.)

Firemaid
07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Just to be clear The GE Silicone II is the tin cure? And we don't know if it turns brown?

I really favor Spindrift's suggestion! However Jesse's tails are dragonskin, and I'm not sure if anyone has used it for that purpose before. My first always advisement with new materials: Test Swatch!!! Either on a discrete part of your tail or on a scrap piece of the same fabric that your tail is made of, painted with the same paint.

If you're interested in using tin cure silicone, GE Silicone II (Kitchen and Bath GE5040 Clear) (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/caulking-sealants/ge/12-pack-98-oz-clear-kitchen-bath-silicone-ii-caulk-93710.html#.UBLhRo7CREw) is what has been used by many. Platinum silicone when left unpigmented WILL turn yellow then brown over time. Know that no one has owned a tin cure silicone tail long enough to know if it discolors over time, so that is a possibility. Also you may want to look at the Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) (http://whatsinproducts.com/msds.php?brandId=10922) before you handle it. Toxicity is a concern with all tin cure and caulking materials, as it is not considered skin safe. If you decide to work with this, you can either cover it and have it just be a smooth sealant, or you can add scale or fluke texture to it. (See threads on ALEX Plus for that.)

Firemaid
07-30-2012, 03:11 PM
OH and also; Thanks guys :)
ya'll is too sweet!

Mermaid Dottie
07-30-2012, 03:47 PM
I recommend silicone I actually. most tubes will say straight up "silicone", "100% silicone" or "silicone I".
This silicone has no additives to it, making it less toxic to work with.
As with all chemicals, use in a well-ventilated area.

Winged Mermaid
07-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Just to be clear The GE Silicone II is the tin cure? And we don't know if it turns brown?

Correct.

Firemaid
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I bought perma wet. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!

merboy78xy
08-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Please DO

Firemaid
08-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Perma wet was no good for spray paint! Dried white. Boo. Dries clear and shiny on latex tho..

Winged Mermaid
08-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Perma wet was no good for spray paint! Dried white. Boo. Dries clear and shiny on latex tho..

Aw, that sucks! :( Sorry it didn't work for you.