PDA

View Full Version : The Mer-Olympics . . . Atlantis Games??

Nyx
07-15-2012, 10:07 PM
A very random thought that came to me while I was making my way upstairs.
'Humans' have Olympics, why don't we?
I say we create our own games to bring all the pods of the world together and celebrate mer-sportsmanship (and skill altogether)
And call it
The Atlantis Games
because calling it Atlantic Games would make reference to the Atlantic Ocean instead of the lost city of Atlantis.
And the way my brain works
Olympus/Olympics : Humans ---> Atlantis : Merpeople

It would be pretty awesome in my opinion.
we would just need a place to have it, someone to manage it, money, lotsandlotsofmoney, and yadah yadah. You catch my drift?

So just for the hopes of it happening some day.
What would you guys like to see in the Atlantis Games? ;3

Arella
07-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Sounds fun xD

Merman Dan
07-15-2012, 11:22 PM
It'd have to be held at the Atlantis resort, of course. :) Don't they employ a mermaid, these days?

NerineArcticMermaid
07-16-2012, 12:45 AM
the name olympics is unfortunetly copy righted by the olympic commitee and the do not like to sha re

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Interestingly, the roleplaying game Mermaid Adventures has a mini-adventure called Undersea Olympics, though the only events described are a relay race, an obstacle course for marine animal companions, and a "blind man's puzzle".

Nyx
07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
It'd have to be held at the Atlantis resort, of course. :) Don't they employ a mermaid, these days?
Oh that would be awesome! I know they did employ Hannah Fraser

the name olympics is unfortunetly copy righted by the olympic commitee and the do not like to sha re
Thats why we should call it Atlantis Games, they can't possibly copy right the word games XD

Interestingly, the roleplaying game Mermaid Adventures has a mini-adventure called Undersea Olympics, though the only events described are a relay race, an obstacle course for marine animal companions, and a "blind man's puzzle".
Oh that sounds pretty cool! It would be a quite a sight, mers racing and dodging obstacles XD

New York Mermaid
07-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Lol the Atlantis Mer-lypics

i figure something like Dolphin speed racing , high jumps, "syncronized" swimming and something like weight lifting.. and I suddenly pictured a buff merman lifting a giant clam barbell...

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-17-2012, 03:22 PM
What about harpoon or trident javelin-throwing, mer martial arts tournaments, hippocamp riding, gymnastics (most of those movements are arm-based, after all), etc?

Merman Dan
07-17-2012, 05:16 PM
In my undersea D&D game, the sea elves have a game where opposing teammates are tied to one another on one wrist with a long cord. the game itself takes place in an arena containing pillars and nets. The game itself is a mix between the mayan ball game and "tag", with lots of obstacles. ;)

Nyx
07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Lol the Atlantis Mer-lypics

i figure something like Dolphin speed racing , high jumps, "syncronized" swimming and something like weight lifting.. and I suddenly pictured a buff merman lifting a giant clam barbell...
LOL I DID TOO
The synchronized swimming interests me, it would be fun to see how that looks.
And all I see now is flailing merpeople trying to jump out of the water XD

What about harpoon or trident javelin-throwing, mer martial arts tournaments, hippocamp riding, gymnastics (most of those movements are arm-based, after all), etc?
Those are awesome,
doesn't get much more bad ass than mers throwing harpoons!
And what would mer martial arts be like? some one needs to go make up a mer martial arts style now XD
I'm thinking for gymnastics there would be lots of under-water tricks and flips right?

In my undersea D&D game, the sea elves have a game where opposing teammates are tied to one another on one wrist with a long cord. the game itself takes place in an arena containing pillars and nets. The game itself is a mix between the mayan ball game and "tag", with lots of obstacles. ;)
That sounds difficult and entertaining, please do tell us more about it XD

Dacora
07-18-2012, 03:04 AM
:D This sounds like it would be a blast!! I imagine rows of mers watching and routing for their teams. XD

Mermaid Crystal
09-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I think the opening ceremony should be like mermaids on chariots or like a pagent

Sea Specter
09-03-2012, 04:16 PM
THIS SOUNDS AMAZING

MountainMermaidBrooke
09-07-2012, 02:13 AM
This just sounds fun! Another event idea would be "Save the Stranger" Pulling as many weighted "people" up from the bottom of the pool or tank as they can within a time limit.

Kanti
09-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Wow this actually sounds like an awesome idea.
It would be so cool if we could actually get an aquarium or some sort of pool with an underwater
viewing area to host the events! Mind you, if it ever did happen everyone would have to go out
of their way to train or else it'll be a flop of an event and people won't be impressed or want it to
continue, but I think even if not, it can still be really fun!
We could always hold it at a public beach and make our own banner or something xD
"MERLYMPICS!" xD So maybe one day it'll catch on. Tell me that won't be a huge hit at the beach?

You can obviously have races, maybe some sort of breath holding "race" where each mer can
see how many laps/lanes in a pool they can do before running out of breath, a relay race, underwater
tug of war would be awesome xD, syncronized swimming, maybe a "breaching" contest to see who
can jump out of the water the highest (though that may have to take place in a REALLY deep pool or
an the ocean o_o, I like Brooke's idea with the retrieving weights, Joy's javelin/trident throw sounds
awesome as well and I would LOVE to somehow see underwater wrestling. That would seriously look
awesome in a tail *__* :: drool ::

What would be rules be, though?
Would you allow goggles? I assume you would require a tail with a monofin installed in order
to compete since most of the events probably require swimming quickly or steadily.
Maybe we could rate tails and separate people into groups based on their tails so everyone has
an equal chance?

Betta - tails with soft monofins (Alex/Silicone)
Marlin - tails with hard monofins

What do you guys think?

MountainMermaidBrooke
09-07-2012, 02:59 AM
Personally, I have a hard time seeing underwater. I would definately aprove goggles, as a sporty visual cue also maybe color coded goggles so the viewers can easily distinguish between pods? I don't exactly think that pinning numbers on scale tops would work. Lol.

Kanti
09-07-2012, 03:08 AM
You could always tie a ribbon or something at the "ankles" of each person's tail. I think colored goggles
would be difficult to see, especially when the people are underwater.

Goggles could always be optional, I would prefer to not go with goggles to give more of a mermaid feel
to the games, but of course people who need to wear goggles could wear them I suppose.

MountainMermaidBrooke
09-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Thats true. I hadn't considered that. Derp. I suppose that tells you how much sleep I have gotten today. Lol. I just thought it may help in those events that require a better range of vision. The last thing we need to have happen is someone misjudging distance and konking themselves unconscious on the tank sides or floor or ruining their tails on rough pool bottoms.

Kanti
09-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Well people can wear the goggles if they need to~ I was talking about myself personally xD
Plus I suppose I'm used to salt/pool water more since I'm from Florida and I probably get to
use my pool/the ocean more often than most people so I actually think goggles are completely
fine. Better safe than sorry xD

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
09-07-2012, 01:09 PM
I think mer martial arts could go in several different directions. A style based off of the flowing motions of tai chi and quigong and their ancestral martial art styles (which inspired Waterbending in the Last Airbender) would be possible.

Drowning
09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Or holding your opponent under - and staying down with him/her - until they bubble submission...

I think mer martial arts could go in several different directions. A style based off of the flowing motions of tai chi and quigong and their ancestral martial art styles (which inspired Waterbending in the Last Airbender) would be possible.

Kanti
09-07-2012, 01:38 PM
If those are the rules then the wrestling matches would be very short and whoever can't hold
their breath the longest will probably be at an extreme disadvantage.
I guess you could still dodge your opponent if you were strong/quick enough to get away each
time they tried to pin you down, but if you're the one doing the pinning you have to be able to
hold your breath a long time too. Still, seems like the most logical idea o_o

I think it'd also be pretty hard to do any form of actual martial arts underwater. Tai chi seems
pretty impossible unless you can keep yourself from floating upwatds without using your hands xD
Not to mention in a tail it would limit the motion and it may just look like you're waving your arms
around. Not to mention are there any tai chi moves where you don't actually hurt the person? I
don't think we want to actually punch each other moreso to just "wrestle" in an effective way.

Drowning
09-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I've had fun adapting a few techniques for use underwater. Breathholding skill is important, but remaining calm when the surface is 10' away and you're struggling to hold and/or escape, that's the real trick. But it's quite a thrill! Helps to have a diver ready to offer a breath to either wrestler, too.

telzey.amberdon
09-07-2012, 08:42 PM
I would love to see mer-judo, could the cameras catch the action? And mer-frisbee, does anyone play that yet?

Mermaid Annariea
09-07-2012, 08:54 PM
omg you guys are genius, are we actually planning this?!?!

Kanti
09-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I really want to do this xD like really really bad.
I can imagine going to the beach or a pool and doing all this.
Someone would totally film with an underwater camera and maybe we could even broadcast the
footage over a youtube channel afterwards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-UtvYNWpSs

MermaidAliyah
09-07-2012, 09:44 PM
A two finned merlegged race would be fun

Kanti
09-08-2012, 04:47 AM
That would be hard to do xD

MermaidAliyah
09-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Yea but totally challenging and hilarious. Or we could tie one arm instead of the fins

Kanti
09-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Well you could tie the fins down, I think it'd be more challenging that way xD
it would be like a three legged race in the sense that the point isn't to be
fast it's to be accurate and mimic your partner well enough

MermaidAliyah
09-08-2012, 02:30 PM
What do you mean tie the fins down?

Mermaid Annariea
09-08-2012, 03:26 PM
or we could tie mers back to back and have an obstacle course that they needed to finish with the most accuracy and grace ;D
we would need to have someone with air ready just in case though, for any games really.

Kanti
09-08-2012, 03:43 PM
*Tie the fins together, whoops

And yea, I think any sort of game where anyone is being held down to someone else or something
else needs to only be for people who can hold their breath for over 30 seconds (while in action).
And then you need to create some sort of signal in order to be able to surface.

I dunno, I consider any event where people are being held/kept from surfacing to be dangerous and
it shouldn't really be done to avoid any chance of it going wrong.
We could always hold practice sessions for new events so we can explore the mechanics and take our
time to see if they work under un-stressed conditions instead of making it an event and throwing both
participants into a situation that makes them both anxious and less likely to perform well.
Especially for a first time.

telzey.amberdon
09-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Tie mers front to front and see which pod has the most weddings.

Kanti
09-09-2012, 12:04 AM
xD the most weddings? Lol

I remember me and my cousin played a game once, but I only had one monofin so I don;t know how
it would've gone with 2. But what we did was try to pull each other's bathing suit bottoms off, which
would be impossible in a mermaid competition, also probably not ethical xD
It was fun anyway, and actually pretty challenging because you have to go for the other person's
pants while guarding your own.

Of course, if we did this we'd probably use something else, maybe clip something on each person's
back or tie a ribbon where the bow is facing the back so you have to untie it from the back.
Anyway, whole point is to untie or take the item that's in back of the other person while still trying to
avoid them getting what's behind your back.

On another note, I was looking at the dol-fin website and I found this little thing, it's pretty cute

http://www.dol-fin.net/images/compete.jpg

Drowning
09-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I agree, Kanti. I always mak sure we know the signals, and have a third diver, with scuba, just in case. And I recommend one minute breath holds, minimum, to participate.

*Tie the fins together, whoops

And yea, I think any sort of game where anyone is being held down to someone else or something
else needs to only be for people who can hold their breath for over 30 seconds (while in action).
And then you need to create some sort of signal in order to be able to surface.

I dunno, I consider any event where people are being held/kept from surfacing to be dangerous and
it shouldn't really be done to avoid any chance of it going wrong.
We could always hold practice sessions for new events so we can explore the mechanics and take our
time to see if they work under un-stressed conditions instead of making it an event and throwing both
participants into a situation that makes them both anxious and less likely to perform well.
Especially for a first time.

Kanti
09-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I think holding your breath for an entire minute while in action is pretty rare.
If those are the rules then only a few mers could be able to even compete.

You could always do "rounds" of only a few seconds or so where a "referee" (sp?) can issue
points to people for certain actions. That way each person can do whatever, then the ref can
signal the end of the round and he can tally the points to see who had the advantage that round.
Then to "continue" you can invent a dominant position for them to start in where the player who
had the advantage last time gets to start in the dominant position to try an immitate the game
as it would continue "without" the rounds interrupting.
If that makes any sense.

MermaidAliyah
09-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Those dol-fin games look fun

Tasha Mermaid
01-20-2013, 05:53 AM
OMF im inLOVE with this idea of Merlypics .....
pity only holding it in one country as the price to get from AUSTRALIA to America would be ridiculous, then there is the price of somewhere to stay, transport, and food :'(
so it would mean the rest of the world misses out :'(

-Another one could be water polo where you hit the ball with you fluke :D
-diving for shells or little trinkets with who has the fastest record....

a giant marco polo game xD

drucilla
01-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Yes, swimming with the sharks! lol

Nyx
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Oh man, while reading this all I see is serious, focused mers slapping their fins around.
It would be awesome if we could have this at a very clear beach or at a huge pool, maybe even an aquarium.
Another game could be piggy-back race. Carry another mer in your back as you go through obstacles? XD

Kanti
03-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Remember when we talked about this? Let's make it happen this summer!

Gem Stone
03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
just want to say, I wrestle in my tail in my pool all the time. and win. my motto for when I wrestle is 'don't fight the fish! I'm in my element! don't fight the fish!' and essentially all I do is hold on to the person and rub my tail roughly on their stomach, back, sides until they give up from laughing to hard. somehow it tickles them:confused:

Kanti
03-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Haha xD
Forfeit by tickle torture

I think a way to make the mer-wrestling more safe is to basically make it that you have to push your opponent towards the SURFACE rather than underwater. That way, whichever mer has more time at the surface is the one who essentially loses and that way both mers will probably always be near the surface anyways so taking a breath will be easier.

Mermaid Hamant
03-04-2013, 12:58 AM
This sounds so cool!!! This totally needs to happen. I think you guys have done enough brain-storming to be able to start planning something. Or at least work the kinks out of the ideas a bit more by practicing them and working out the fine details.

Alveric
03-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Wrestle in a very shallow kiddie pool.

Kanti
03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Wrestle in a very shallow kiddie pool.
There should/could be more than one level of wrestling, I think, but as for the kiddie pool, it seems like too shallow would make it very difficult to tell what's going on in the pool. Not to mention, I think too shallow water sort of disallows people to get away from each other as much. In a shallow pool there's more of a chance of someone getting on top of you and possibly pinning you underwater. In a normal depth you can usually at least get away if you need to.
Also I'd feel like it would restrict the whole use of the mermaid tails. If the pool is too shallow and you can't even swim in it, what's the point of the tail?

Well, that's my opinion anyways

Mermaid_Aurora
03-04-2013, 02:34 PM
I am in LOVE with this idea, I totally support it!

Could also have a breath hold, and some sort of free diving competition. I also like the idea of diving for trinkets, and whoever collects them all the fastest wins. Could also have volleyball, but in the water. To those who have ever played Final Fantasy 10, there's a game called Blitzball which is kinda like football under water.

Kanti
03-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I'd really love it to happen. Even if I didn't have a tail at the time I'd love to spectate!

All those ideas sound good, I think the events should mostly be things where people are forced to race/swim in a forward motion because maneuvering in a tail is sometimes difficult.

I've never played FF but I'll youtube it and see what comes up

Mermaid Hamant
03-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Now the question is.. Where would this event be held?

Mermaid_Aurora
03-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Maybe there could be branches of this held in other countries? Addressing the issue someone said above where travel is expensive and not all mermaids are in america, it would allow all the other mermaids to be able to participate if someone in their own country was able to host the event too. That way those who want to travel, can, and those who don't want to or simply can't afford it, could just see if there's one being hosted near them.

-shrug- just throwing the idea out there xD

Kanti
03-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Well depending on how willing people are to travel, we can either have one GIANT mer-olympics or several smaller ones that can be located around the country. I expect that it will be something that we will have to build up overtime, so we will probably start out small.

You could always hold them at the beach for free, but if you want spectators to observe, you'll have to mark off clear areas as to where the mers are going to be competing so everyone can know where to gather around.
Flag poles do a great job and they're pretty cheap to buy, easy to make, and simple to setup and move around so they won't cause trouble. You can make a small line of flag poles along shore and have someone ask people to go around if they're just swimming or to spectate behind the flagpoles etc.

When the event gets bigger and more participants are actually showing up, the event can be moved to an indoor pool. There are LOTS of swim-training pools that have underwater viewing areas and allow monofins so if you had someone be formal about using the pool for an event like that, I'm sure they would allow it, hell, they might even advertise it for you. You'd just have to be respectful and professional about it, which is a bit hard because having a bunch of people come in mermaid tails is a bit immature sounding to a lot of people.

Drowning
03-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Why, Florida of course!

Now the question is.. Where would this event be held?

Mermaid Kelda
03-06-2013, 01:56 AM
I love the idea of smaller, national olympics. I can't afford a ticket to the US, but I probably can afford a ticket to Melbourne or wherever there's the largest population of Australian mers :)

Mermaid Melody
11-02-2013, 11:53 AM
there could be a competition where mermaids hold old to the sides of the pool and wave their tales to push a floating object

Fun123joker
11-02-2013, 12:59 PM
my family always play this game at a pool where someone would trow a pool ring or something and first we let it sink and then we start looking for it and who ever gets it first wins. that can be a game

Mermaid Melody
11-02-2013, 11:30 PM
thats a good idea. what about capture the flag?

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Something else to consider... certain species of whales hunt by making bubble nets. What if a team of merfolk did something similar, the winning team gaining points for the most cohesive, uninterrupted stream of bubbles forming the net and the most endurance for maintaining it?

Mermaid Melody
11-03-2013, 09:21 AM
anyone ever heard of steal the bacon?

Merman Dan
11-03-2013, 09:40 AM
And then there's Prawn (http://www.interactivitiesink.com/larps/index.html) :)

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic503497_md.jpg

AptaMer
11-03-2013, 02:38 PM
I love the idea of smaller, national olympics. I can't afford a ticket to the US, but I probably can afford a ticket to Melbourne or wherever there's the largest population of Australian mers :)

Most organized sorts hold regional competitions, then the regional winners go on to a national competition, then the winners at the nationals go on to the world championships. That's how AIDA freediving events are organized, also spearfishing.

It all takes working together locally and nationally to make events happen. Funds have to be raised too, so the athletes can get to the competitions.

AptaMer
11-03-2013, 02:42 PM
there could be a competition where mermaids hold old to the sides of the pool and wave their tales to push a floating object

Good idea. Maybe it could be a team event "knock the seal off the floe" where the mers coordinate like the orcas to wash a rubber seal off an artifical ice floe?

Check it out

http://youtu.be/hPge_0lea3o http://youtu.be/hPge_0lea3o

Mermaid Melody
11-03-2013, 02:44 PM
no hands? and what about biggest splash?

Fun123joker
11-03-2013, 02:56 PM
someone deign team uniforms! how about there is a uniform for each pod on this forum

Mermaid Melody
11-03-2013, 03:17 PM
It's a shame there isn't a mer tv channel. If there is one about just ocean stuff, (scuba diving/marine biology) maybe we could have it broadcasted on there. and maybe we could have an event where mers lay on their stomachs on a bridge, over the water. and they compete for who can grab the most plastic fish out of a current. and maybe something where there are floating platforms, and mermaids (wearing a tail) have to get across without getting anything above their fluke wet. or teams of mermaids racing on floating platforms

Fun123joker
11-03-2013, 03:29 PM
It's a shame there isn't a mer tv channel. If there is one about just ocean stuff, (scuba diving/marine biology) maybe we could have it broadcasted on there. and maybe we could have an event where mers lay on their stomachs on a bridge, over the water. and they compete for who can grab the most plastic fish out of a current. and maybe something where there are floating platforms, and mermaids (wearing a tail) have to get across without getting anything above their fluke wet. or teams of mermaids racing on floating platforms

well no TV channel but i know there is a website where you can broadcast like a radio station but only access it on the web page. i forgot what it was called though.

i just thought of another game. see how fast you can break free of a net. the net slowly rises (people above would be pulling it out but it's suppose to simulate a trap from fishing boats) and all you are given is idk a sharp stone or something. seems dangerous though :/

Mermaid Melody
11-03-2013, 03:43 PM
maybe we could use our tails to steer boats around obstacles. like actually turning the steering wheel

Odette
11-03-2013, 07:19 PM
This is an adorable idea! I would love to see this happen. I think some of these ideas could work.

Mermaid Kelda
11-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Maybe for events like races, mers should be separated into divisions, according to what kind of monofin their tail has. It's not really fair to pit a mer with a competitor against a mer with no monofin in their tail at all, for example.
Other events which don't rely directly on speed/power could be more of a free-for-all.

Mermaid Melody
11-04-2013, 07:54 AM
and it should be divided into how much experience you have with swimming in a tail

Mermaid Kelda
11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
and it should be divided into how much experience you have with swimming in a tail
That's a little harder to judge, though. I guess there could be "amateur" vs. "experienced", though if you think you're not able to participate in an event because you're not a strong swimmer, then you wouldn't have to. Perhaps everyone could choose, say, 5 out of 10 events they felt were their greatest strengths that would count towards their total score (or the 5 events they actually performed best in could count). They could participate in any other event, of course, but it wouldn't count towards their score regardless of their place in the event.

Mermaid Melody
11-04-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm a strong swimmer, but i don't have experience with tails.

AptaMer
11-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Just wanted to mention that the IOC has trademarked the following words in countries all over the world: Olympic; Olympian; Olympiad; Paralympic; Paralympian; Paralympiad, as well as the plurals of each word

If any organization tries to use any of these words for a sporting event, or tries to sell merchandise related to sporting events with those words, the Int. Olympic Committee will sue their butts off and shut them down. :shark:

Just sayin. I think for the world mer games will have to use something other than "Olymp___" words. Just like sports like football call their world championship the World Cup, and AIDA holds the World Freediving Championships.

I did like the Atlanic Games, or Atlantean Games (or what about making it more inclusive, like Oceanic Games, ha ha, sounds similar to the Olympic Games, but the IOC doesn't have it trademarked :cool: )

Any suggestions on what you'd like to see them called?

Echidna
11-04-2013, 06:44 PM
You think they'd come a-sueing if we called it "Merlympics"?

I like "Atlantean Mergames" better anyway.
Or maybe World Mermaiding Championship, but that sounds a bit too "ground-teeth-frowny-face"-competition-like.

AptaMer
11-06-2013, 11:06 AM

I love that name

Fun123joker
11-06-2013, 05:42 PM
guys guys guys guys guys guys guys...guys. whats the best part of the Olympics?

OPENING CEREMONY
ideas, go!

Mermaid Kelda
11-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Well, some sort of parade, obviously! On the back of a truck, or on a float, or in a trailer, or pushed by wheelbarrow... whatever means of transport you can acquire :P and holding your pod's flag, of course!

Merman Dan
11-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Underwater Rugby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KIrJIsfTWE

Merman Dan
11-16-2013, 11:10 AM
I think we can pass on this one, though: Underwater Sword Swallowing (http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/350784/VIDEO-Underwater-sword-swallower-leads-record-breakers-on-Guinness-World-Records-Day)

Anahita
11-16-2013, 11:41 PM
I think we can pass on this one, though: Underwater Sword Swallowing (http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/350784/VIDEO-Underwater-sword-swallower-leads-record-breakers-on-Guinness-World-Records-Day)

Aw pooey. Of course take the funnest one out of the competition!

PearlieMae
11-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Aw pooey. Of course take the funnest one out of the competition!

Now we know why you're so popular! ;)

Anahita
11-17-2013, 03:35 AM
Now we know why you're so popular! ;)

:rotfl: Heheheee.

TheChimera
11-18-2013, 01:37 PM
You think they'd come a-sueing if we called it "Merlympics"?

Or maybe World Mermaiding Championship, but that sounds a bit too "ground-teeth-frowny-face"-competition-like.

I like the sound of 'Atlantean Mergames' or just ' The Mergames' for short.
International entries and all that, but instead of swimming under a national flag, you swim under the title of " mermaid BlahBlahBlah(insert random name here) from the atlantic/pacific/indian ocean or something like that. And we create emblems for each ocean or 'coastline' ...we could have mermaids and men from the Mariana trench too lol.

With sport that include things like, racing or finsprinting in lanes, or freestyle and water ballet and spearfishing , singing and poetry, crafting and artistry. Basically anything mermaidy. Just a couple of ideas swimming around in the ol' Noggin :D

TheChimera
11-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Good idea. Maybe it could be a team event "knock the seal off the floe" where the mers coordinate like the orcas to wash a rubber seal off an artifical ice floe?

Check it out

http://youtu.be/hPge_0lea3o http://youtu.be/hPge_0lea3o

BWAHAHA. brilliant! Id kill to do that :D as long as the seal is wearing a protective armored floatation device :D

sashiyoop
11-23-2013, 11:17 AM
This sounds really cool. I can imagine things like underwater acrobatics (like underwater handstands and twirls and loops and stuff) or even something akin to water polo.

TheChimera
11-23-2013, 11:31 AM
I think theres already water polo, or water hockey...the acrobatics thing is a cool idea, and we could get graded and judge by a pool (excuse the pun) of judges, much like a gymnast, like for execution of movement and underwater grace and so on, if anyone would like to brainstorm and share ideas feel free to do so or pm or whatever, I love really getting into this stuff hehe :3

MermanZen
01-19-2014, 09:31 AM
OMG YES YES YES!!!!!!!!! this would be amazing like imagine Mers from all over he globe competing for the gold all leading up to see who will join the all star pod UUUUOOO this could be awesome !!!!

Mermaid Adriel
02-08-2014, 01:11 PM
OMG it sounds great! : D

Mermaid Jaffa
02-12-2014, 02:20 AM
I was watching old synchronized swimming vids on youtube the other night. And I got to wondering, if anyone has done that in a tail?

My fave parts of the vids, was when they launched a team member in the air, and when they stuck their legs high up in the air and then swam/spun like they were twirling back into the water.

Another event could be breaching. Likes whales do at the surface, and Mr Monofin Guy. Winner is the person who can leap the highest out of the water. Bonus points for actually clearing the water's surface like a dolphin.

Anahita
02-12-2014, 09:09 PM
I don't know if anyone here is doing it, but it's been done before in a mermaid tail... By Disney, no less, when they first opened up their Submarine Voyage ride in the 1950s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99OMrsEag0A

They start their routine at about the 6:50 mark

Mermaid Jaffa
02-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Those tails look pretty cool, even though it looked like it was baggy on some of the ladies. Did they use monofins back then?

Anahita
02-13-2014, 03:08 AM
Nope. That was a good 20 years before monofins were invented.