PDA

View Full Version : Is mermaiding gaining popularity?

Mermaid Cascada
07-17-2012, 09:04 AM
I was listening to my radio and I heard about mermaids. They said the new summer trend was people wearing mermaid tails at the beach and swimming in them. It kind of scares me. Maybe it's gaining popularity too fast?
I always thought more was better but Someone could hear about it and decide they want to make or buy a tail. So they get one and they try to swim and end up hurting themselves or worse. What do you guys think? :confused:

Mermaid Aurora
07-17-2012, 11:08 AM
there have been a lot of articles on blogs about it. Specifically a company called 3-tails or 3-fins. I think maybe they have just been contacting these blogs as a marketing tool...
Either way, mermaiding is becoming more well known and I'm not happy about it. This is a tight knit community and with more people, we will be less and less close. It makes me sad. but maybe some new tailmakers will emerge, which could be good.

Alveric
07-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Don't worry. The wave will pass. Those who are serious will stay, the rest will drift away to some other shiney new fad.

Mermaid Cascada
07-17-2012, 12:30 PM
@Alveric: Hopefully
@sophiadarling: I don't like it either. I think if mermaiding gets too popular it won't be as... special I guess.

malinghi
07-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't think we should be afraid of mermaiding gaining popularity. Its going to be annoying when it gets made fun of in news articles, and I know a lot of people dislike the johnny-come-lately's that might be annoying, but at the end of the day, one, you can't stop it from naturally getting more attention as time goes on, so accept it and learn to not let that stuff both you.

Second, in the end more exposure means people will get used to it and fewer people will be judgmental assholes, plus a larger community means more gatherings, more people, more group swims in your area. Ultimately an increase in popularity is good.

Maple
07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
THANK YOU MALINGHI!!

When I became a mermaid, it was because of Lady Gaga and Yuyi. People on this forum complained that mermaids like me were making mers 'mainstream' and therefore making it harder for people to become professional mermaids! Imagine how terrible I felt at first, until I decided I didn't give a rat's ass because I was enjoying myself. You want to make more new mermaids coming to this forum feel like crap?

Sure, there are concerns about people just 'throwing on a tail and drowning'. Seriously guys? Way to jump the gun and make a terrible blanket statement.

If this makes more people in general more interested in swimming, the ocean and all it's creatures, then I think that's awesome. Mermaiding isn't some elitist club where you have to know the secret handshake to be one. And honestly? It'll never be 'mainstream' like everyone is worrying. A lot of folks will come and go, like the tide, and the few lifers will stay and it will hold a special place in their heart. If mermaiding brings a young boy or girl some joy this summer, who are we to poop on their parade and tell them they're making mermaiding less special?

Bring it on, summer mermaiding trend!!

New York Mermaid
07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
The thing about popularity is there are both good and bad things to it, there might be people inspired by the trend and such, but what happens when someone gets hurt because there are those people who think, im going to swim in tail.. and drown? Suddenly people will look at it as evil practice or something (especially if its a kid with an oblivious mom who thinks her kid's going to magically know how to swim in tail because of the monofin) I forsee some good things but also a bad event happening in the future unless another trend come in

deepblue
07-17-2012, 07:08 PM
I agree, there are good points and bad... but people who are only interested for a little while will be gone before you know it, and those who are dedicated in some way, whatever way they can be, will be SO happy to have found kindred spirits.

Merman Dan
07-17-2012, 07:13 PM
...people who are only interested for a little while will be gone before you know it, and those who are dedicated in some way, whatever way they can be, will be SO happy to have found kindred spirits.

Truth! :)

New York Mermaid
07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
i luv this community so much, i feel so comfortable and i feel so supported of being a mer, because of you guys i feel like i can shine :) I found my other half of my family right here!!
This calls for a group hug! 4363

Seachelle
07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't mind it becoming popular but before when someone saw a mermaid at an aquarium or even a pool they were amazed but with it being so popular now all of a sudden it's seen often and everywhere that no one is amazed by it any more. But I'm sure someone will put one on and not know how to swim in it and have mermaiding ban from public pools and such and ruin it for everyone. T^T I taught myself how to swim with no arms and legs together way before I got my tail.

Nyx
07-17-2012, 07:54 PM
@Lanai I agree with you
this community is so amazing and loving. If you think about it, most of us are complete strangers to each other, and yet we all care so much for each other. It truly is amazing and inspiring in my opinion.

@seachelle it's true that mermaiding might just become a bit more common in the public's eye, but that just gives us an excuse to become better and make/buy even better tails, right? ;3

Seachelle
07-17-2012, 08:50 PM
True ^_^

Maple
07-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Seachelle - Kids and adults alike are always amazed to see me in the water. Some shoddy internet reporting won't change that because a tiny part of the internet community will see it. That'll never go away :)

Lanai - You make me smile! High fives all around :highfive: