PDA

View Full Version : Dreams of Being a Merman...

Drowning
07-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Hello all you wonderful Merfolk!

I moved to the Tampa, FL a few years ago to pursue a lifelong interest in diving, luxuriating in the underwater world... and maybe even coming out of the clamshell as a Merman. I followed a few discussions here, and it left me confused, a little scared, but excited! I'm in fairly decent shape (martial arts), a certified (novice) scuba diver, and love to swim underwater. Static is about 2:45 or so. I'm far too shy to think of performing, but I would love to learn to be a Merman.

Any advice would mean a lot to me!

Jay
(Drowning...)

babsannee
07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Welcome!

Merman Dan
07-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Welcome!

Mermaid Aurora
07-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi jay! always great to have mermen around here :3

Merman_Shawn
07-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Welcome! I'm a newbie here too, it's nice to see other mermen swimming around out there.

Drowning
07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi jay! always great to have mermen around here :3

Thank you, Sophia! Now I just need to find someone local willing to teach me...

Drowning
07-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Welcome! I'm a newbie here too, it's nice to see other mermen swimming around out there.

Thanks, Shawn. I'd love to chat with you about your experiences sometime.

Merman_Shawn
07-17-2012, 11:38 AM
It sounds like you have a step up on me with the swimming experience. I've never scuba dived or free dived, but I was on a swim team for two years and did junior life guarding when I was younger. I'm a little out of shape, but I tested my static in the bath tub yesterday, it currently sits around 2:00(It used to be 3:00). I'm not sure what my dynamic time is, but I'll test it the next time I'm at the pool. :)

Drowning
07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
It sounds like you have a step up on me with the swimming experience. I've never scuba dived or free dived, but I was on a swim team for two years and did junior life guarding when I was younger. I'm a little out of shape, but I tested my static in the bath tub yesterday, it currently sits around 2:00(It used to be 3:00). I'm not sure what my dynamic time is, but I'll test it the next time I'm at the pool. :)

I'll test mine, too! I really need to get some scuba diving in soon, also. I just love being underwater, and need to find a dive buddy who is willing to dive as often as I'd like. Too bad you're not here in Florida!

Merman Dan
07-17-2012, 11:55 AM
I need to see how long I can hold my breath in the pool, as well. My kids tend not to let me have the time for that! ;) I know I can swim 3 laps underwater, when kicking off the sides, and that's about 120' or so.

Drowning
07-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I need to see how long I can hold my breath in the pool, as well. My kids tend not to let me have the time for that! ;) I know I can swim 3 laps underwater, when kicking off the sides, and that's about 120' or so.

WOW!!! I can make about half that... blub blub...

Mermaid Cascada
07-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

merboy78xy
07-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey there Jay!
I love seeing more and more mermen on here! You said in your original post that some things confused and scared you.... anything you need to get off your chest or have questions about? :)

Merman_Shawn
07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
I'll test mine, too! I really need to get some scuba diving in soon, also. I just love being underwater, and need to find a dive buddy who is willing to dive as often as I'd like. Too bad you're not here in Florida!

My Grandparents used to live in Florida. Since they've passed I've been trying to find an excuse to get down there. Maybe some kind of meet up could be arranged if I ever get myself out of "tail-debt" lol

Drowning
07-17-2012, 02:42 PM
My Grandparents used to live in Florida. Since they've passed I've been trying to find an excuse to get down there. Maybe some kind of meet up could be arranged if I ever get myself out of "tail-debt" lol

We'll meet up on a reef...

Mermaid Lorelei
07-17-2012, 02:49 PM
I love seeing new mermen! There aren't nearly enough of you guys yet. Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of merfolk, Jay!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Welcome, Jay!

I'm also male, though I lack a tail (aside from the walkable one my mom made me for Halloween when I was six or so... needless to say, it no longer fits). I've attempted to get my basic diving license three times (the first I was too young and couldn't pass the in-the-pool swimming test, the second time I never got my open water dives done, and the third time I completed everything... and my papers got lost in the mail somehow).

What martial arts do you do? I used to be a purple belt in Shotokan karate.

Drowning
07-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Welcome, Jay!

I'm also male, though I lack a tail (aside from the walkable one my mom made me for Halloween when I was six or so... needless to say, it no longer fits). I've attempted to get my basic diving license three times (the first I was too young and couldn't pass the in-the-pool swimming test, the second time I never got my open water dives done, and the third time I completed everything... and my papers got lost in the mail somehow).

What martial arts do you do? I used to be a purple belt in Shotokan karate.

Great to meet another merman! You'll have to come down to Florida and dive sometime soon. I've practiced a number of arts over the years, and I do have a few techniques I think might just work for mer-self defense. Have to try them out in a pool sometime. Could be useful for the mer community at large!

Blondie
07-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Welcome to the sea!

merboy78xy
07-17-2012, 03:53 PM
where in FL do you live Jay?
I go down periodically to okeechobee, west palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami (so east coast)...

Merman Dan
07-17-2012, 04:15 PM
The Underwater Music Festaval was just the other weekend, at Big Pine Key, FL - where I learned how to scuba five in my teens at SeaCamp. Years later, I attended Rollins College in Winter Park, FL.

These days I am three hours landlocked in North Carolina.

Drowning
07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
where in FL do you live Jay?
I go down periodically to okeechobee, west palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami (so east coast)...

I'm in Tampa Bay, but I would make the trip to Miami - Ft Lauderdale - West Palm for a Mer Meet and dive.

Nyx
07-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Welcome!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Great to meet another merman! You'll have to come down to Florida and dive sometime soon. I've practiced a number of arts over the years, and I do have a few techniques I think might just work for mer-self defense. Have to try them out in a pool sometime. Could be useful for the mer community at large!

Yeah, that'd be awesome... I'll have to see about retaking the classes, and maybe taking the test in Florida.

I've also begun taking tai chi lessons after learning that they were the inspiration for Avatar: The Last Airbender's (and the Legend of Korra's) waterbending martial arts.

Sea Pearl
07-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Welcome to MernetWork Jay! Great to have you join us.

Merman Craig (Delphinar)
07-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Welcome to our mer community.

Drowning
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeah, that'd be awesome... I'll have to see about retaking the classes, and maybe taking the test in Florida.

I've also begun taking tai chi lessons after learning that they were the inspiration for Avatar: The Last Airbender's (and the Legend of Korra's) waterbending martial arts.

If you need a dive buddy for your test, let me know! Tai chi is so graceful, it will look beautiful underwater. I wouldn't mind learning some of the sword forms. Now that would be something... mermen engaged in slow, graceful subaquatic swordplay!

merboy78xy
07-19-2012, 01:00 AM
That WOULD be beautiful! It's too bad I missed ya... I spent the winter this year in west palm!

Drowning
07-19-2012, 01:09 PM
That WOULD be beautiful! It's too bad I missed ya... I spent the winter this year in west palm!

Now I'm thinking I might use my martial arts training to do some underwater fight choreography...

deepblue
07-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Welcome! I love seeing the merman population grow here. :)

Lyna
07-19-2012, 06:57 PM
we'll be pushing close to 50/50 here soon on genders. that's awesome! i never knew of guys actually wanting to be mermen...just guys that did it for cash when a mix was preferred for events. that's awesome! i'd love to get a photoshoot with a merman and myself, or a huge group of all mers doing some naturally candid shots like the scenes in peter pan like someone stumbled upon us. :D welcome to the community.

Drowning
07-19-2012, 08:24 PM
we'll be pushing close to 50/50 here soon on genders. that's awesome! i never knew of guys actually wanting to be mermen...just guys that did it for cash when a mix was preferred for events. that's awesome! i'd love to get a photoshoot with a merman and myself, or a huge group of all mers doing some naturally candid shots like the scenes in peter pan like someone stumbled upon us. :D welcome to the community.

Yes, I'm one of the few who dreamed of being a Merman since... forever! Time for me to get a costume design going. I have a few ideas... And I'll need to try monofinning. Maybe with scuba!

Lyna
07-20-2012, 12:13 AM
sounds like you're already halfway there. and i'd love to one on one with you over scuba knowledge. so far the score is: lyna-0

Keiris
07-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi Jay! I'm a new merman on here as well and am a couple hours south of you. Sounds like you have the natural athleticism to perform underwater anyway should you decide to show your fins publically. If I am not mistaken, I think Mermaid Raven is close to you and performs regularly with Merbellas. Nice to see some of my brethren on here as well! Welcome!

Drowning
07-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi Jay! I'm a new merman on here as well and am a couple hours south of you. Sounds like you have the natural athleticism to perform underwater anyway should you decide to show your fins publically. If I am not mistaken, I think Mermaid Raven is close to you and performs regularly with Merbellas. Nice to see some of my brethren on here as well! Welcome!

Thank you, Keiris! I suppose my martial arts training does add a certain grace. I've always been rather graceful underwater, even with bulky scuba gear. Naples isn't far. We should get together some time. I would love to chat with a fellow Merman. And I would love to learn from Mermaid Raven!

Drowning
07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
sounds like you're already halfway there. and i'd love to one on one with you over scuba knowledge. so far the score is: lyna-0

Lyna, it would be a pleasure to share my scuba knowledge with you! I know you will even the score in no time...

Keiris
07-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Sure that would be great! I'm actually in the process of designing a silicone tail. Like you, I need to get used to the monofin and am contemplating which one to get depending on the amt. of fin flip I want. Finally all those years of endless crunches will be worth it!:)

Drowning
07-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Sure that would be great! I'm actually in the process of designing a silicone tail. Like you, I need to get used to the monofin and am contemplating which one to get depending on the amt. of fin flip I want. Finally all those years of endless crunches will be worth it!:)

I may not have your six pack, but I would enjoy swim trainig with you. Maybe scuba diving, too? It would be great to have a dive buddy who shares my Mer fantasy!

Keiris
07-20-2012, 10:56 PM
I'd enjoy that very much!

Merman Dan
07-20-2012, 11:11 PM
I may not have your six pack, but I would enjoy swim trainig with you. Maybe scuba diving, too? It would be great to have a dive buddy who shares my Mer fantasy!

Not every merman has a six-pack. As part owner of a beer & wine distributorship, I can attest to having a 12-pack. ;)

Keiris
07-20-2012, 11:35 PM
LOL it's ALL good AEolius! Glad to hear that all that wine and beer isn't going to waste!!! ( It took every bit of willpower I had not to be a total cornball and say "waist" right there)

merboy78xy
07-21-2012, 03:08 PM
hahahah... my dad used to always say:
"there are children going to bed sober in China, now you finish that beer!"

merboy78xy
07-21-2012, 03:08 PM
that... and:
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"