PDA

View Full Version : My job...Uhg.

Merman_Shawn
07-17-2012, 05:01 PM
So I needed to vent and I needed a place none of my co-workers would come across.

I work in a salon and day spa as a receptionist and a back-up make up artist. Now I normally work a 10-11 hour day without a structured break system(as I am normally at the front desk by myself). Of course there are lulls in phone calls and clients, but my boss(the owner) just doesn't seem to understand why I get angry when I am forced to take clients "right at" or after closing time. It's just a fact that the front desk is here before everyone to open and stays the latest to do paperwork, close the day and lock up. It's sooooooo frustrating! After 10 mind-numbing hours of being stuck behind a desk, literally having to run to the bathroom every time in fear I might miss a phone call, and not being able to step away for 15 minutes it really grates on someone. I understand making an exception if it's an emergency, but this happens virtually every day. I should be used to it, but gosh darn it I have a life and I feel like I'm spending it stuck in an office chair. Why is it so hard to keep to business hours? Bah!

Mermaid Star
07-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Sounds like they need two receptionists. Then you would have a breaker and you wouldn't have the fear of missing a call when you have to run to the bathroom.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, it really isn't fair, and they should have someone able to cover you for breaks, and obey the posted hours.

Mermaid Aurora
07-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Maybe you should check your labour laws, I'm pretty sure breaks are required in most places

Merman_Shawn
07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Here's the kicker, there are 5 people trained to be behind the desk;2 Salon Managers, and 3 receptionists. I am the only "full-time" receptionist they have. The managers put in a half-hearted attempt to help, but mostly just sit, gossip, and hold the owner's 1 year old. As for the other receptionists, one is a full time nursing student and only works 1-2 days a week, the other is new and is on a flexible schedule. The problem lies in the fact that a) I don't want to lose my days by saying I feel overworked, and b) some days of the week are slower than others. This means they can't justify having another person because it isn't busy enough, but where does that leave me? Stuck behind a desk without a break because they won't give out any more coverage.

New York Mermaid
07-17-2012, 06:04 PM
they should have a part timer receptionist working along with you on the days they know are the busiest.

Merman_Shawn
07-17-2012, 06:28 PM
The only day I don't work by myself is Saturday, but it's with one of the Managers, so I might as well be working by myself. Suffice to say Saturday is the only day I don't have to eat my lunch behind the desk.

AniaR
07-17-2012, 09:31 PM
check out competitors, then flaunt what they offer you. Not only will you get better hours I imagine you'd get better pay ;)

Merman_Shawn
07-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Professionally I'm not a "rock the boat" kind of person. I think this stems from the fact that I know how scarce jobs are these days. I'm actually lucky in a way, I got my foot in the door of an industry I've been trying to break into for years. I'm trying to see it as my boot camp or my hazing before I start taking on my own book of clientele. I know it's not right, but frankly there aren't a lot of other job opportunities floating around. So I'll just have to put my big girl pants on and take care of business.

Kanti
07-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe you should be honest with them. I mean, if I was a manager and you explained it to me how
you explained it on here, I'd probably consider getting another receptionist. Cause you're right, its
hard on you since you're the one who has to welcome customers, take their reservations, answer the
phone, etc. so it's sort of unfair that even your short bathroom breaks are compromised.
You should just be very clear that you don't want LESS HOURS you just need MORE HELP. Being the
only receptionist is hard and unfair, you need SOMEONE else to help you through it. And it's not really
rocking the boat so much as it is standing up for yourself. If you get too pushy, managers are trained
to pretend they don't need you and that you're easily replaceable, so you need to fight back a little
and make sure they remember that you're a valuable employee, and from what you're telling us, it
sounds like you basically hold up a lot more responsibility than the other people there.

I used to work at Joanns and they did basically the same thing to me. I was a cashier, well, the ONLY
cashier during my shift. I NEVER had help unless the line got too long, then someone would come in
and check people out, then leave right after. I had to deal with EVERYTHING, complaints, item damages,
sales that were misleading, overrides, returns, rentals, calls, class sign ups etc. while everyone else had
NOTHING to do besides put items away or cut fabric. I was radio-ing the manager so much, it was backwards
to think that SHE wasn't the one up there. After a while of doing that, you really get beat down because
all the customers treat you like YOURE the one making the rules when I'm not, I'm just following regulations!
I ended up getting tired of it and asked my manager if I could be relocated to the floor or cutting counter instead
since THATS what I really wanted to do since day 1. They told me "oh it takes time, we train everyone in cashier
first!! That's important!" Low and behold, the next week they hired a new girl and she went straight to the cutting
counter. Yeeaaa.... I went to the manager AGAIN to complain and when I ended up catching her in a lie, she just
told me to talk to the head manager. I ended up talking over and over again only to be given empty promises that
I'd be moved soon. After a while I just couldn't deal with it. I was getting paid $7 an hour to hold up a lot more
work than my MANAGER who was getting pair $20 an hour or so, god knows.
So in the end I left. It's not worth working a job where they take advantage of you to such an extent where you
CLEARLY voice what you want and they just lie and step all over you.
</rant>

But yeeeaaaa...
I'd just sit down and talk to your head manager. Just be polite but be assertive. Make sure they understand
EXACTLY what you want.

Raayvhen
07-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Based on your location I pulled up the labor laws for NY. You should show this to your employer and threaten to take legal action. http://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/laborstandards/faq.shtm#8

Merman_Shawn
07-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Very nice! Maybe I'll leave a copy of this on my boss's desk. :)

Lyna
07-29-2012, 11:06 AM
you need a cordless phone. hehe

Merman_Shawn
08-01-2012, 08:12 PM
UHG! We closed 10 minutes ago and 3 people just walked in for 1/2 hour-2 hour services. FML!
The owners of the strip mall decided to bring in half of their family tree about an hour ago and they're still trickling in. I swear I'm going to be here all night.