PDA

View Full Version : Hyper-realistic merperson - makeup tips?

kris
07-18-2012, 02:27 AM
Hey everyone! My name is Kris, and I'm new to this site.

I'm looking for any help/insight I can get in regards to creating the look of an extremely believable (and somewhat dark natured) aquatic being.

A very close friend of mine is an underwater photographer, and has been itching to shoot an editorial for a client of hers using myself and my mertailor merman tail.

We're attempting to create images reminiscent of those taken of the loch ness monster and big foot, (sort of stumbled upon, blurred and out of focus, "accidental," caught in the moment photographs.) The idea is to turn me into the conceptual half-fish/half-human merperson with the help of the tail, and enhance the effect with things such as gills, webbed fingers, and sharp teeth.

What we have so far is:

Gills - http://www.badgersden.com/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1162
Teeth - http://www.dentaldistortions.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=44
Barnacles (for shoulders and arms) - http://cottageemporiums.com/latexbarnacles.html
and these fish eye looking contacts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ozhEROTkU

We're looking for a way to achieve webbed fingers and covered eyebrows that will withstand water.

I'm just wondering whether or not anyone here has tried to achieve something like this, and if anyone has any tips or ideas for me?

Thank you all so much for your time!
I look forward to hearing from you!!

Mermaid Lorelei
07-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Bald caps work well for covering eyebrows. You can even trip off a piece just for the eyebrows and then stick it to the skin with makeup adhesive. :>

Welcome, by the way.

kris
07-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Thank you so much! That sounds relatively simple, and I think full bald might even be more interesting than just the brows! :)

merboy78xy
07-18-2012, 03:13 AM
I think a full bald cap is a cool idea! Maybe attach some "scales" to it? Barnacles?
As for eyebrows... they actually make an "eyebrow wax" that you can use to cover your brows, then put waterproof makeup over it. I assume the wax would (by nature) be waterproof-- but do a search online for that and I bet you'll find some good stuff!

Prince Calypso
07-18-2012, 03:18 AM
i think having the barnacles not just on your shoulders but on the tail as well would be epic. as for a bald cap. i think its an epic idea but only if you add some type of detailing to it like a skull ridge or a fin that runs from the head down the spine, maybe even along the tail ooh with rips and tares in.
webbed fingers would look great too if you could find a way to make a the fingers look a little longer.

Prince Calypso
07-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Alos i think bigger more prominent gills would give a far more fish like appearance than small one.

merboy78xy
07-18-2012, 03:25 AM
Hey-- there was a post on here for these webbed gloves... what if you got a pair and painted them your skin color... after all, if the pic is going to be blurry, you prolly wouldn't see more than the webbing and the color of the hand, not the glove...

http://www.k2scuba.com/product_description.php?category=3&sub_cat=37&product=1505

I might suggest dipping them into skin colored liquid latex...

Winged Mermaid
07-18-2012, 03:43 AM
Sounds like an awesome project! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result! As for webbed fingers, there are also these: http://www.amazon.com/KF-Silicone-Swim-Gloves-M/dp/B0057LU7GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342079780&sr=8-1&keywords=silicone+webbed+gloves (http://www.amazon.com/KF-Silicone-Swim-Gloves-M/dp/B0057LU7GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342079780&sr=8-1&keywords=silicone+webbed+gloves)

They're silicone though, so they may not take or hold on to paint well. Usually for one to paint silicone you tint more silicone with pigments and paint it on, since silicone sticks to silicone.

What's your skin tone like? I'd always thought that real mermaids would be extremely pale. I think there's body paint that's waterproof, although I'm not sure. Maybe airbrush tattoo ink, airbrushed on if possible. With that you could even go tinges into different colors, like blue. Just throwing that out there :)

Thalassa
07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
As for eyebrows... they actually make an "eyebrow wax" that you can use to cover your brows, then put waterproof makeup over it. I assume the wax would (by nature) be waterproof-- but do a search online for that and I bet you'll find some good stuff!

LOL, slightly off topic, but I remember a few years ago for a realistic mer costume the eyebrow wax wouldn't cover my brows. So...I shaved them off! That was an experience I'll never forget! I never realized how long it takes eyebrows to grow in! ;-)

kris
07-18-2012, 10:31 AM
i think having the barnacles not just on your shoulders but on the tail as well would be epic. as for a bald cap. i think its an epic idea but only if you add some type of detailing to it like a skull ridge or a fin that runs from the head down the spine, maybe even along the tail ooh with rips and tares in.
webbed fingers would look great too if you could find a way to make a the fingers look a little longer.

That sounds amazing! Thank you!

kris
07-18-2012, 10:33 AM
I think a full bald cap is a cool idea! Maybe attach some "scales" to it? Barnacles?

I love that idea! I'll definitely have to buy more barnacles, but that sounds awesome! And I'll be sure to check out the eyebrow wax!

kris
07-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Alos i think bigger more prominent gills would give a far more fish like appearance than small one.

I had never thought of that, but I completely agree! I'll have to try and make my own, but I guess if all else fails, the photographer could fix it in post! Thank you, again!!!

kris
07-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Hey-- there was a post on here for these webbed gloves... what if you got a pair and painted them your skin color... after all, if the pic is going to be blurry, you prolly wouldn't see more than the webbing and the color of the hand, not the glove...

http://www.k2scuba.com/product_description.php?category=3&sub_cat=37&product=1505

I might suggest dipping them into skin colored liquid latex...

These are so rad! The latex dip idea is brilliant! I'll have to order a pair! :)

kris
07-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Sounds like an awesome project! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result! As for webbed fingers, there are also these: http://www.amazon.com/KF-Silicone-Swim-Gloves-M/dp/B0057LU7GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342079780&sr=8-1&keywords=silicone+webbed+gloves (http://www.amazon.com/KF-Silicone-Swim-Gloves-M/dp/B0057LU7GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342079780&sr=8-1&keywords=silicone+webbed+gloves)

They're silicone though, so they may not take or hold on to paint well. Usually for one to paint silicone you tint more silicone with pigments and paint it on, since silicone sticks to silicone.

What's your skin tone like? I'd always thought that real mermaids would be extremely pale. I think there's body paint that's waterproof, although I'm not sure. Maybe airbrush tattoo ink, airbrushed on if possible. With that you could even go tinges into different colors, like blue. Just throwing that out there :)

Ah! I think I'll have to buy these instead, they're so fascinating! Maybe I could try dipping these in latex like merboy78xy suggested, unless you know where I would be able to purchase silicone? (sorry, I'm so new to all of this!) And my skin is relatively pale, but I agree, the more pale the better! Thank you so very much for all of your ideas!

kris
07-18-2012, 10:40 AM
LOL, slightly off topic, but I remember a few years ago for a realistic mer costume the eyebrow wax wouldn't cover my brows. So...I shaved them off! That was an experience I'll never forget! I never realized how long it takes eyebrows to grow in! ;-)

AH! Thats so crazy! Haha, how long did it take for them to grow back in?! Funny story too: the photographer that is shooting this merperson editorial used to work as my booker at my last agency, and sent me out for a job where they bleached my eyebrows to match my skintone, thus looking invisible!! I've been thinking of trying that for this shoot too! :)

But I love that you shaved them all the way off! haha, such dedication!! :)

Kanti
07-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Looks like your choices are pretty cool!
I really love those sfx teeth! Really awesome looking!

The gills you showed are a little small, I remember seeing a girl wearing some at a renaissance
festival and you almost barely noticed them.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/83155777/little-monster-prosthetic-gills-flesh?ref=sr_gallery_3&ga_search_query=gills&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all
These are a bit pricey-er but I think they'll stand out a lot more. Not to mention I like this look xD

Lyna
07-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Drag queens use a waxy makeup to cover their eyebrows and then apply concealer over top. some concealers would totally handle underwater, but the wax is opaque enough that underwater im sure it would do the trick. if you want to spend the money, there's Kryolan...otherwise there are cheaper brands as well. I'm sure drag queen make-up tutorials on youtube would spill the beans on other brand names.

Thalassa
07-18-2012, 12:07 PM
AH! Thats so crazy! Haha, how long did it take for them to grow back in?! Funny story too: the photographer that is shooting this merperson editorial used to work as my booker at my last agency, and sent me out for a job where they bleached my eyebrows to match my skintone, thus looking invisible!! I've been thinking of trying that for this shoot too! :)

But I love that you shaved them all the way off! haha, such dedication!! :)

They took about 3 and a half months. Thing is, they come in spotty. Apparently your eyebrows (well, mine) have clumps of hair every so often, and then they grow long to cover the bald spots. So I had spotty eyebrows for a long time until the hairs got long enough to fill in! ;-) I was so good at hiding it with eyebrow pencil, though, my mom didn't notice until 2 months after I'd shaved them!

It was really frustrating not being able to go out of the house without putting eyebrow pencil on, though. I wouldn't recommend shaving them. XD I've bleached my eyebrows, too, to match a platinum blonde wig, so...apparently my eyebrows have to put up with a lot of abuse from me. ;-P

The costume turned out pretty well, though XP:

Mermaid Aurora
07-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Wow, this project sounds really cool! you gotta show us the pictures once you're done!

malinghi
07-18-2012, 03:15 PM
While we're on the subject, can I just say that IMO Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies is probably the high water mark (no pun intended) for aquatic-looking merfolk makeup.

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2008_Hellboy_2:_The_Golden_Army/2008_hellboy_2_the_golden_army_039.jpg

Prince Calypso
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM

The gills you showed are a little small, I remember seeing a girl wearing some at a renaissance
http://www.etsy.com/listing/83155777/little-monster-prosthetic-gills-flesh?ref=sr_gallery_3&ga_search_query=gills&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all
These are a bit pricey-er but I think they'll stand out a lot more. Not to mention I like this look xD

WANT!!!!!!

Prince Calypso
07-18-2012, 05:32 PM
While we're on the subject, can I just say that IMO Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies is probably the high water mark (no pun intended) for aquatic-looking merfolk makeup.

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2008_Hellboy_2:_The_Golden_Army/2008_hellboy_2_the_golden_army_039.jpg

Agreed. loved abe, really the only reason i watched hellboy two... well thank and i have a thing for big red guys with horns and guns

kris
07-18-2012, 06:34 PM

Thank you so much! That is so kind of you to say! And wow! Those are brilliant! Way better! I can't thank you enough, I'll be ordering them tonight!

kris
07-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Drag queens use a waxy makeup to cover their eyebrows and then apply concealer over top. some concealers would totally handle underwater, but the wax is opaque enough that underwater im sure it would do the trick. if you want to spend the money, there's Kryolan...otherwise there are cheaper brands as well. I'm sure drag queen make-up tutorials on youtube would spill the beans on other brand names.

Thanks so much, Lyna! I've been recommended the wax before, I just never knew the process/how to use it! I'll be doing my research tonight!

kris
07-18-2012, 06:37 PM
They took about 3 and a half months. Thing is, they come in spotty. Apparently your eyebrows (well, mine) have clumps of hair every so often, and then they grow long to cover the bald spots. So I had spotty eyebrows for a long time until the hairs got long enough to fill in! ;-) I was so good at hiding it with eyebrow pencil, though, my mom didn't notice until 2 months after I'd shaved them!

It was really frustrating not being able to go out of the house without putting eyebrow pencil on, though. I wouldn't recommend shaving them. XD I've bleached my eyebrows, too, to match a platinum blonde wig, so...apparently my eyebrows have to put up with a lot of abuse from me. ;-P

The costume turned out pretty well, though XP:

That looks absolutely amazing! I love it so much! Thank you for sharing! Glad to hear they grew back though! haha :)

kris
07-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Wow, this project sounds really cool! you gotta show us the pictures once you're done!

absolutely! we're aiming to shoot it in late August, and it will probably be published in September or October. I'll be to sure to post photos (at least behind the scenes ones) as soon as I can!

kris
07-18-2012, 06:40 PM

I've never seen this movie, but that makeup is brilliant! Thank you so much for showing me!

merboy78xy
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
I actually enjoyed the second Hellboy movie for the Fairy Marketplace :) Well, I guess the fairy world period. The prince and princess, etc. I thought it was cool to see the world a little darker than usual

merboy78xy
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
kris, I'm very excited to see your progress! Keep us posted!
:D

malinghi
07-19-2012, 01:22 AM
I actually enjoyed the second Hellboy movie for the Fairy Marketplace :) Well, I guess the fairy world period. The prince and princess, etc. I thought it was cool to see the world a little darker than usual

I think Guillermo Del Toro's movies are the best argument that CGI is being overused in movies nowadays. Obviously his movies have a fair share of CGI too, but I think they use a lot more costuming and puppetry than most other movies (certainly other movies with as much fantasy), and it really shows. Other filmmakers could learn something.

merboy78xy
07-19-2012, 01:31 AM
I absolutely agree! It's one of the reasons why I love the Underworld movie (at least the first one)-- it showed SO MUCH ingenuity using puppetry, wire-work ,etc. Not the CGI stuff that everyone falls back on. I LOVE when Lucien runs faster than their car! They actually dragged a runway behind the speeding car and had the actor run on the platform! So, in essence he WAS running faster! I just get so pissed when I see a movie like the first bunch of spiderman films when it was all so fake looking. I was like: If there was EVER a time to do WIRE WORK, THIS IS IT!!! hehehe

Also, Kris... here's some cool ideas on the baldcap I found. You could latex apply some Scales, etc maybe a bit like this!:

kris
07-19-2012, 03:47 AM
kris, I'm very excited to see your progress! Keep us posted!
:D

Thanks so much! I definitely will! This site is so rad! :)

kris
07-19-2012, 03:48 AM
I absolutely agree! It's one of the reasons why I love the Underworld movie (at least the first one)-- it showed SO MUCH ingenuity using puppetry, wire-work ,etc. Not the CGI stuff that everyone falls back on. I LOVE when Lucien runs faster than their car! They actually dragged a runway behind the speeding car and had the actor run on the platform! So, in essence he WAS running faster! I just get so pissed when I see a movie like the first bunch of spiderman films when it was all so fake looking. I was like: If there was EVER a time to do WIRE WORK, THIS IS IT!!! hehehe

Also, Kris... here's some cool ideas on the baldcap I found. You could latex apply some Scales, etc maybe a bit like this!:

This is so brilliant! Thank you again! I love it!

spottedcatfish
07-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Here's a recommendation for the webbed hands. Use skin toned stockings, and create a webbed glove from them. This technique had been used in many Mer related films, and looks realistic enough, as though the skin is webbed. The trick is trying to find a pair of stockings to match your shade of skin tone. Though I do like those webbed gloves posted earlier very much.

Fortuna
07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
All these ideas sound wonderfull. I'm looking for to seing the end results :) be sure to post alot of pictures ;)

Mermaid Miel
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM
The blue silicone webbed gloves tend to go slightly translucent underwater. Most mers that buy them never bother with original plans of painting them because of that. if your photos are meant to be slightly blurry then that will help.

The Circle lenses are cool. Just be careful when wearing them underwater and DON'T do so in a chlorinated or heavy salt water pool.
I wear mine (prescription) with goggles to keep water away from them, but I understand that you can't, so be careful. Eye disease from contacts often leads to damage to the point of blindness and needing a cornea transplant.

If I was brave enough though, I would love to wear a full sclera black contacts to make me look like a seal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCBqfNdr_GA&feature=related

hay_31
11-03-2012, 05:04 AM
I have not read all the replies, so I may be repeating things. My background is makeup as I am a makeup artist, this is what I would do:

Eye brows: Spirit gum - apply one brow at a time to the length of the eye brow. The using a paddle pop stick and some theatrical wax (Ben Nye is the best) press and smooth over your entire eye brow until even and smooth. repeat these steps on the other eye brow. Also seal this with an eye brow sealer, it will help it to last longer.

Body makeup - use stick foundations and grease colours - because of thier higher oil and wax content water has little impact, jut dont touch or rub it and it will stay, you will just need someone to help you apply it in hard to reach areas. Ben Nye also has good colour choices in the stick and grease colours.

Bald caps are great, esp if you want a hairless look, if you are only wanting to block out the brows spirit gum and wax is a better way to go. I did earlier this year a mermaid makeup for a short fantasy film, she did get wet but didnt swim and her makeup lasted, she had gills on her rib-cage, sea urchin - barnacle - pearls pieces on her jaw, cheek bones and brow. her arms had layers of latex pieces going up that was lie sea weed with pears, spines and shells. her tail was golds and browns, her torso mainly an aqua colour. she had red brown hair and black contacts in. She was ment to look a bit predatory and less Disney.

hay_31
11-03-2012, 05:08 AM

This was the mermaid makeup I mentioned above, and we have filmed a tutorial for this makeup for a makeup channel on youtube so if people are interested they will be able to see how it was done.

Stillwater
11-03-2012, 10:53 AM
hay_31 - do you happen to have the link to the youtube video? I can't seem to find it.

hay_31
11-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Hi Still water,
We are launching our tutorial channel next week, but the mermaid wont be ready for a few months, I will be getting the raw footage next week making notes on where I want it cut and the makeup steps of application/tools & products. The tutorial is for the photo of the makeup I did above, so you will just see how she was put together. I had another makeup artist assist me. There will also be a photo of the mermaid in my avatar, and one other past makeup I did. When we have it up, probably wont be until next year I will post a link : )