PDA

View Full Version : AUGUST MERNETWORK CHALLENGE: MERMAN FASHION DESIGN

malinghi
07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
From shell tops to necklaces, headdresses to starfish bras, these days mermaids have dozens of options for awesome stuff to wear. Mermen on the other hand are still high and dry when it comes to cool clothes. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to fix this problem in the community, and design the item that all mermen will be wearing next season! Many guys are discouraged from getting in a tail because they don't think they look manly, or they don't think they look good. Its time to change that!

The focus is to design practical items that are possible to create, and can be worn in water. You don't need to build a prototype, but we'd be impressed if you did. Last thing to remember is that we're doing this for the community, so anything posted here is for anyone to make and possibly sell. If you want exclusive rights to a design, don't participate.

The rules:
- Should be possible to build.
- To submit your entry, post it or link it in this thread, being sure to clearly state that it is your submission.
- Deadline is August 11th.
- All designs posted here are for anyone to use. We're doing this for the community.

Explanation for those unfamiliar with MerNetwork Challenges- MerNetwork Challenges are a sort of game we can all play together, where everyone is given a challenge and encouraged to post entries. The winner is chosen by a vote. There's no prize, its just for fun.

Prince Calypso
07-18-2012, 05:26 PM
sorry girls and boy but i got this one in the bag... or mermaid's purse so to speak.
finally a challenge i can actualy do and do well!!!

MermanJV
07-18-2012, 05:28 PM
sorry girls and boy but i got this one in the bag... or mermaid's purse so to speak.
finally a challenge i can actualy do and do well!!!

Be prepared to eat my dust, love. <3 I'm feeling a little cocky about this one.... BRING IT ON. <3

Prince Calypso
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
oooh love a challenge
but that means you better bring it darlin'

Mermaid Lorelei
07-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Hmm. I might just have to try this one.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Ooooh, I already have an idea for some shoulder pads!

Merman_Shawn
07-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Good God! The race is on! :D

Raayvhen
07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
You are all going DOWN.

Merman Dan
07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
I suppose a codpiece made from an actual cod is right out, then? ;)

Merman Dan
07-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Disqualified, as they are impossible to build, but United Cutlery offered several fantasy-themed blades, several years ago. A merman has to have a weapon, you know.

I give you the Kraken:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8163/7600510488_c853b69326_z.jpg

Leviathan:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7140/7600510348_a97c372afe_z.jpg

Poseidon's Blade:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8428/7600510128_d544151c86_z.jpg

and of course a trident:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7109/7600585876_97fc288195_z.jpg

malinghi
07-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Aeoliis, okay, fist of all, those are awesome, particularly the trident which I fucking love.

Second of all, those aren't totally disqualified since there's no rule against incorporating things that are purchased. I just don't want people to design stuff that's 90 lbs and made out of mithril because I'd like all this stuff to hopefully become commercially available. But it wouldn't be impossible to make something that incorporated those into the design. Realistically they look too valuable to take them places, and they look too sharp to have them with you while swimming. You could dull the edges to make them safer but that would be a shame to do.

That said, I was thinking weapons are a good direction. I'll share this idea for anyone that can do something with this- how about a belt that has two daggers on each side? The daggers would be rigidly fixed to the belt, and would actually be weights to counteract the wearer's buoyancy, so you're not always floating to the surface while swimming. Seriously, I would love to see someone build that.

Merman Dan
07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
can a squid hat count as an accessory? ;) Never mind the keytar... it's woefully non-waterproof.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8167/7600721192_a697348fd2_z.jpg

OrcaMatt
07-18-2012, 09:57 PM
I second the 'that's a sick trident' motion.

Merman Dan
07-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Did I mention that the trident separated mid-shaft, to make two weapons?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7132/7600910720_0bf6d54076_z.jpg

Yes, that IS an anglerfish on my head.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
That said, I was thinking weapons are a good direction. I'll share this idea for anyone that can do something with this- how about a belt that has two daggers on each side? The daggers would be rigidly fixed to the belt, and would actually be weights to counteract the wearer's buoyancy, so you're not always floating to the surface while swimming. Seriously, I would love to see someone build that.

A pair of squid-shaped sheaths for daggers on a belt might be really impressive, with the mantles pointing down and the hilt wrapped by the tentacles.

Merman Dan
07-18-2012, 10:30 PM
A pair of squid-shaped sheaths for daggers on a belt might be really impressive, with the mantles pointing down and the hilt wrapped by the tentacles.

I'd buy that for a dollar! So... a merman belt, draped in netting, with a sheath or two, perhaps a few stray souvenirs like a feejee mermaid, cone shell, sharks' teeth, and the like.. perhaps add a few severed tentacles for a snack.

Mermaid Summer
07-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Wait, do we have to built it or can it be built.

Merman Dan
07-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Incorporating things that are purchased... necklaces by Noadi, perhaps?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7133/7601411826_66158d2c09.jpg

(left to right: octopus, squid, and cuttlefish)

merboy78xy
07-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Aeolius! Your pics rock! First off... your squid hat is hysterical. 2nd... I WANT THAT TRITON!!!! HOW AWESOME is THAT!?!?!
I love the challenge. I'll have to put some thought to it. I personally like my merfolk AU NATURALE... but as a costumer, I feel the call of creativity and the excitement of a challenge! :)

Spindrift
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Aeolius, I want your hat collection.

Alveric
07-19-2012, 10:05 AM
OK, Aeolius, where did you get the trident?

Of course, I'd have to get one each for my son and son-in-law too, if I expect to get to play with mine any.

Mermaid Saphira
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
I might sketch up a few designs for this ;)

Merman Dan
07-19-2012, 12:09 PM
OK, Aeolius, where did you get the trident?

I bought it years ago, I think from BudK. I found one online HERE (http://www.monstermarketplace.com/wholesale-cutlery-products/demon-guard-neptunes-trident-scepter-forked-spear)

malinghi
07-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Just a reminder since people are posting a lot of pictures in this thread- when you post an official submission for the challenge please clearly state that it is your submission. Its totally cool to post photos and drawings in here while discussing the challenge and I encourage it. I just want to be able to tell what posts are a submission and what is just showing off cool stuff or works in progress or other stuff.

deepblue
07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
This is a very cool challenge idea... I can't wait to see the end results! So many creative people here. :D

Alveric
07-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks Aeolius. That's my son's favorite catalog.

Merman Dan
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks Aeolius. That's my son's favorite catalog.

Glad to help! There's also a dandy Spartacus-themed trident head over at Museum Replicas (http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1830-trident.aspx)

Nykur
07-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Men shouldn't feel afraid to wear a necklace, instead of clam shells, use long slender pointy shells & instead of crystals and seaweed, use SHARK TEETH.
I'm currently working on my idea of a stingray barb dagger and ragged tooth shark necklace. And of course the traditional trident is a classic for mermen. How about fins for you arms, can they count as a design?

Merman Dan
07-20-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm currently working on my idea of a stingray barb dagger and ragged tooth shark necklace.

How about a sword made from a marlin bill and sharks teeth to go with that? ;) KoaMaster (http://www.koamaster.com/category/koamaster.hawaiian_weapons/)

http://static.zoovy.com/img/tikimaster/W640-H480-B8e7a47/T/2278_570_.jpg

Nykur
07-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Hey that could work, I love that idea!

Mermaid Saphira
07-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Here is my design! Gold/Silver armor, an armor bracelet and a gold "mernetowork" shaped trident :D

Drowning
07-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Here is my design! Gold/Silver armor, an armor bracelet and a gold "mernetowork" shaped trident :D

I would love this! Might like the armor to extend just to the bottom of the ribcage, tho. Leave a little open..

Mermaid Saphira
07-20-2012, 02:19 PM
ThanQ :D

Ayla of Duluth
07-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Mernetwork trident. Thats a definite winner by default. Playing on the admins good side

Mermaid Saphira
07-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Mernetwork trident. Thats a definite winner by default. Playing on the admins good side

LOL! I have always thought it was an amazing design and it would be fun to make! I am actually thinking about constucting it :)

malinghi
07-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Ha. You guys know the winner is picked by a vote, right? I've got one vote, just like everyone else.

By the way, if I can give some constructive criticism, the goal of this challenge is to try to make things that can actually be built and might hopefully catch on as something that people sell on etsy. While it isn't impossible to make armor, this drawing doesn't really give any indication of how it would become a real item. What would it be made of? How it would be made, and how it would be put on and taken off?

I think the best way to build this would be to make it out of fiberglass and then paint it to look like metal. It would have to be made in two halves that would be held with straps over the shoulders and around the sides, and would likely have some kind of foam on the inside in a couple places so it doesn't jiggle around when you're wearing it. What do you guts think?

Mermaid Dottie
07-20-2012, 03:48 PM
You're all going down! Watch my magical mer-artistry bloom before your eyes as I create the the merman "look".
:D I am so stoked about this challenge!

Edit: to keep the competition as fair as possible, I will not read any other post in this thread save the first one until I have posted my completed designs. This is to insure that I am not peeking at the competition.

Winged Mermaid
07-20-2012, 05:29 PM
What would it be made of? How it would be made, and how it would be put on and taken off?

From HDPE, the stuff they use to make storm trooper armor. There are tutorials for that everywhere! There are lots of different ways to make armor, but a lot of them involve things that wouldn't be water proof (like paper mache). For a dry shoot you have a multitude of techniques, but for water proof it starts getting more involved. There are plenty of people who make armor that refuse to work with fiberglass though. (Example (http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_construction.html)) You would just have to mod some steps along the way- like using a waterproof glue instead of Elmer's for example. A lot of the materials used are foam, so that COULD create a floating issue. Best way to get around that would be to secure the armor at the bottom with an elastic belt on the inside (with easy off findings like snaps, hook and eyes, or industrial velcro), and if floating while swimming is an issue a awesome looking belt that doubles as a weight belt.

Winged Mermaid
07-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Also, making a metal trident can involve things that not everyone has access too.. but what if you made a trident out of PVC and PVC sheets (styrene) and decorated it to be awesome? In the water, again, floating issue. Solution: a little weight secured on the inside of the PVC handle. Examples: http://snuggiemouse.deviantart.com/art/Aquaman-Trident-298123199 , http://www.flickr.com/photos/12690202@N03/5982589960 .

Also while I was browsing I ran across where you can buy the metal trident w/ hidden sword, as well as other tridents. I added them to the The Official Merfolk Accessories Store List (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2558). You're welcome :)

Nykur
07-21-2012, 09:30 AM
And here's my design, this is my entry.

I think everything on here is possible to build, except the trident, that may be tricky, but with malinghi's trident tutorial it should be easy.
I'm also working on another entry, but this merman is not a warrior like the one above, he will have more adventurous items and less warrior attributes.

Spindrift
07-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Wow I wish I could draw well proportioned people. >.>

Merman Dan
07-21-2012, 09:41 AM
You can "draw" well-proportioned mermen, for $34 ;) DAZ Studio (Free) + Michael 4 Base ($21) + Lost Realms for M4 ($13)

http://cdn.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x455/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/l/o/lost-realms-for-m4-and-h4-large.jpg

Spindrift
07-21-2012, 10:07 AM
That's a really cool picture Aeolius! Yeah once I get rid of this crappy overheating laptop I am using (courtesy of my school's computing program) I will have to look into so many cool programs that I want to learn and missed out on. Did you make that picture? I love the scales!

Merman Dan
07-21-2012, 10:13 AM
That's a stock photo from DAZ3D. I haven't rendered any underwater scenes in ages, as my 3D landscape app of choice has problems with my OS of choice. Hopefully MAc OS X 10.8 will fix that.

silvertailliza
07-21-2012, 10:59 AM
i do have a few male drawing design's ill be sure to look them up :3

MerAnthony
07-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Here is something a merman can use. A small sea chest out of wood to keep his small stuff in. An by the way this is for sale.4666My entry

seagirls626
07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
maybe some sort of trident that you can swim with? just an idea....I might do that!

Drowning
07-22-2012, 06:00 PM
maybe some sort of trident that you can swim with? just an idea....I might do that!

And how about a net to go with the trident? Sometimes, a merman likes to take ... guests to his undersea lair.

Merman Dan
07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
And how about a net...

http://www.childstarlets.com/lobby/bios/portraits/annette_funicello12.jpg

Oh, my mistake.... I misread ;)

Keiris
07-22-2012, 07:01 PM
AEolius you goofball!!! hahahahahahahah maybe Drowning really has a thing for Annette

Drowning
07-22-2012, 07:44 PM
If you mean something like the curvaceous beach bunny she grew up to become, I'll eagerly drag her under!

Mermaid Dottie
07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
One design up. Let's see how many I can create before the contest is over!
As promised, I have not read any posts in this thread save the very first one.
4740 I apologize that my lines aren't very clean, I didn't have a pencil and eraser, and I drew this on the train yesterday.

Edit: I just thought of a question... are we limited as to the number of entries, or can I enter multiple times?
OR can I submit my entire collection as one entry?

Mermaid Dottie
07-25-2012, 04:52 PM
A second design, based off of some mermen's concerns about their "bump", with greek and egyptian influences.

Mermaid Arianna
07-27-2012, 12:33 AM
here is my entry!
This design starts with a crown made of various sized shark teeth and goes to a sash made of netting and a "Avatar" inspired seashell encrusted belt, on the belt is a dagger sheath shaped like a conch shell, on the opposite side of the drawing is the dagger that goes in the sheath. To match the belt are shell encrusted arm cuffs. On the end of the fluke there are snap on pyramid studs that can be attached and detached.The trident is made of stainless steel in the design but pvc might be better for a lighter, and more cost effective alternative, the barbs have curls on the end of them and the ed of the trident is made up of a fake gem or crystal.
:)

green52
07-27-2012, 03:47 AM
My entry is a how-to for a trident sling. It is braided from paracord, and can be worn across the chest. A trident or other tool attaches to clips that snap on, allowing a merman to swim without constantly holding a trident.

I envision this in two styles. One possibility is more costume-oriented: it includes plastic leaves to give the impression that its made of kelp, and is made to hold prop tridents. The other is realistic and practical. The strap is allowed to look like exactly what it is made of, and can be used for carrying a spear-fishing trident while free diving.

I made it in gold because I had the materials available, but it'd look best in a cool color, particularly green.

Its not clear from these images, but those clips snap around the trident tightly, so that it won't slip out, but one can reach back and simply pull the trident free without sliding it out. More detail is in the PDF.

A sketch:

The finished product, with a broom handle in place of a trident:

And here is the link to the PDF how to:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?xh7r2znazmeqt2u

green52
07-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Yeah! "Stunned-silence" is RIGHT!

Spindrift
07-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Hahaha. I really do like the idea of a trident sling. It makes sense. Why would you not want to keep your hands free while swimming? Will it get in the way (like your legs will hit the trident) while you swim though, or is it just a dry prop?

Mermaid Jewel
07-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Okay well I'm gonna do some of my own designs, but I just read something that reminded me of this...

For some reason I've always loved the body armor they wore in Terra Nova seen here:
Maybe there's a way to take just that top main armor part (obviously not the pants and gun and etc haha) and make it into a swim friendly version? I mean for a more modern, badass warrior merman maybe ^.^

I might draw up some ideas on how to do that later along with my own designs :D I'm excited, I've been on a costume design craze lately ^.^

MermanJV
07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
A second design, based off of some mermen's concerns about their "bump", with greek and egyptian influences.
This is VERY gorgeous. <3 I love it. It would go nicely with the design I just finished....

Would you have any qualms with me attempting to make it at some point.?

MermanJV
07-29-2012, 10:58 AM
One design up. Let's see how many I can create before the contest is over!
As promised, I have not read any posts in this thread save the very first one.
4740 I apologize that my lines aren't very clean, I didn't have a pencil and eraser, and I drew this on the train yesterday.

Edit: I just thought of a question... are we limited as to the number of entries, or can I enter multiple times?
OR can I submit my entire collection as one entry?

My only concern with this, how would the collar stand up on it's own? It's gorgeous, and I'd love something similar to it.

MermanJV
07-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Just in case anyone is waiting to be surprised, I will be uploading my newest outfit for my tail later today. I actually took the time to make it, and I hope you guys like it. :D

green52
07-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Suspense!

Merman_Shawn
07-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Just in case anyone is waiting to be surprised, I will be uploading my newest outfit for my tail later today. I actually took the time to make it, and I hope you guys like it. :D

Mine's almost done too. I just need to make a few more technical diagrams and color it.

malinghi
07-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Great work everyone! Green, way to go on the how-to! I added it to our list of how to guides. Also, I saved a copy of the pdf to our servers so MerNetwork is hosting the file. http://mernetwork.com/imgs/Trident_sash.pdf

Mermaid Jewel
07-29-2012, 08:59 PM
My only concern with this, how would the collar stand up on it's own? It's gorgeous, and I'd love something similar to it.

You can thread wire through the top of the collar to make it stand on its own! Just somehow secure it in and it should stay up, hopefully! I might try it out later to see if it'd work ^.^

MermanJV
07-29-2012, 09:52 PM

My entry. <3 I think it's good. Hopefully, I'll have a full shot with me in tail and everything as well. :D

I censored it with Starfish. Granted, it's just a dudes nipples, but my camera is fairly detailed. XD

green52
07-30-2012, 02:14 AM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks *more* profane with the censor stars?

What do you call that kind of jewelry? Its sort of like a necklace, but more. In any case, its really cool. How difficult was it for you to make?

Gem Stone
07-30-2012, 11:31 AM
wow. i can't wait to get started on this. everyone's entries look so good!

Drowning
07-30-2012, 11:57 AM
I love this idea! I want to be a warrior merman, and I think this armor is a great start. Just pieces on the shoulders and arms, and the breast and back plates end just below the ribs. It allows swimming flexibility, and it's a little sexy.

Okay well I'm gonna do some of my own designs, but I just read something that reminded me of this...

For some reason I've always loved the body armor they wore in Terra Nova seen here:
Maybe there's a way to take just that top main armor part (obviously not the pants and gun and etc haha) and make it into a swim friendly version? I mean for a more modern, badass warrior merman maybe ^.^

I might draw up some ideas on how to do that later along with my own designs :D I'm excited, I've been on a costume design craze lately ^.^

Mermaid Dottie
07-30-2012, 12:49 PM
This is VERY gorgeous. <3 I love it. It would go nicely with the design I just finished....

Would you have any qualms with me attempting to make it at some point.?
Of course not! please, feel free! ^_^ I'd love to see it on somebody.

I'm into corsetry, and what I use as stiffener in my bodices is Industrial-sized zip-ties. Not the best design for underwater swimming, I'll admit, but if there are holes for the water to pass through, it shouldn't be too bad. I was thinking more cosmetically than practically.
Another thing you could try is weaving it loosely out of thin strips of green duct-tape. I have a duct-tape top that keeps its shape no matter what.

MermanJV
07-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks *more* profane with the censor stars?

What do you call that kind of jewelry? Its sort of like a necklace, but more. In any case, its really cool. How difficult was it for you to make?

It's referred to as a "body chain." and it only takes a few hours, (and a LOT of chain) to make. I used 20 yards of chain total... ^^; It would've been much easier if I had a dressform, or a mannequin.... but I didn't. D:

MermanJV
07-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Of course not! please, feel free! ^_^ I'd love to see it on somebody.

I'm into corsetry, and what I use as stiffener in my bodices is Industrial-sized zip-ties. Not the best design for underwater swimming, I'll admit, but if there are holes for the water to pass through, it shouldn't be too bad. I was thinking more cosmetically than practically.
Another thing you could try is weaving it loosely out of thin strips of green duct-tape. I have a duct-tape top that keeps its shape no matter what.

OMG! I'm super into corsetry as well. :D I have made 5 corsets, soon to be 7... And I only use zip-ties in mine (for economical reasons, really) It always works SUPER WELL. <3 Curious, where might you find industrial-sized zip ties? That would totally eliminate one of the steps I have to do for corset/bodice making.

Also, I'll definitely give it a shot, and when I do, You'll be the first to know. <3

Mermaid Dottie
07-30-2012, 03:29 PM
OMG! I'm super into corsetry as well. :D I have made 5 corsets, soon to be 7... And I only use zip-ties in mine (for economical reasons, really) It always works SUPER WELL. <3 Curious, where might you find industrial-sized zip ties? That would totally eliminate one of the steps I have to do for corset/bodice making.

Also, I'll definitely give it a shot, and when I do, You'll be the first to know. <3
I got mine at home depot last time. and then my aunt gave me this huge stack of them, because her husband brought them home from work. they were really fat. nice and stiff, but flexible enough to be comfortable. zip-ties rock. ^_^

SilverSiren
07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm all shiny new to this community. I really want to participate in this as I think I have great ideas but I'm working on building a business right now so I don't know when I will have time :(

I will be basing my business on mermaid related stuff, so I promise, even if I don't get to post a idea on this, I will endeavor to keep in mind the mermen! Alos, to keep in mind how helpful this site has been before I decided to join and post tutorials on some of my mermaid stuff or try my best to help others :)

Everyone here is very kind and helpful, I am excited to be apart of your community! ;)

Mermaid Annariea
08-01-2012, 02:27 AM
ive been drawing up things for like two days now! ive had a few ideas for a while now... im pretty excited about them honestly (:

i do, however, have a question. if i have multiple things, can i count it all as one entry? its probably all going to be on one sketchbook page, so...

SilverSiren
08-01-2012, 10:53 AM
It's referred to as a "body chain." and it only takes a few hours, (and a LOT of chain) to make. I used 20 yards of chain total... ^^; It would've been much easier if I had a dressform, or a mannequin.... but I didn't. D:

You can totally make a dress form! Out of duct tape that actually is your size! There are a lot of tutorials on it out there! It would be worth it for you if you continued to make things like this, it would certainly make life easier, lol.

vence.micheal.
08-01-2012, 04:59 PM
49694969im not going to say this is my official submission, its what i came up with and sketched up last night. im fairly new here and wanted to get some opinions, is this what is asked of? should it be only one sketch? I'm going for easy to create and affordable, modern mer. I'm thinking more contemporary, mermen are usually decked out in armor, and i like the thought of whimsical and practical clothing. most materials i had in mind are fishing nets, shells, and other baubles that can be found at fabric stores (=

Mermaid Lulu
08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
In thinking about this contest I keep falling into one of two categories, Armor or Fetish Wear. This is quick difficult.

Mermaid Celissa
08-02-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm working on my design now!

Prince Calypso
08-02-2012, 01:52 AM
OH WOW! Everyone has done such a great job!!
I'm kinda apprehensive about submitting my work now lol
heck I've only got the outlines done. but they will be posted soon.

Mermaid Celissa
08-02-2012, 02:54 AM

I know the example for the Sea Urchin Tail Loop didn't show up too great, stupid iPod camera >:o

MY ENTRY!

Drowning
08-02-2012, 01:30 PM
vence.micheal., I LOVE your designs!! Part armor, part fetish wear all fantastic.

Lyna
08-02-2012, 02:38 PM
well, i vote tridents, bracers, a more masculine belt, a poseidon crown, a spear made of whale bone with maybe shark teeth for the edge, and a baldric of netting & leather or something like it that come from the sea to hold the spear.

Drowning
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Definitely bracers, some daggers, maybe a net. I like to imagine a close-in fight... whether dragging a swimmer into the depths, or strguggling with an enemy merman.

Gem Stone
08-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Here is something a merman can use. A small sea chest out of wood to keep his small stuff in. An by the way this is for sale.4666My entry
Want!

Nykur
08-03-2012, 09:23 AM
@MermaidAbby, I have some pointy coral pieces laying around and would love to do a sea urchin loop ( just with coral ), would you mind?

Mermaid Celissa
08-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Sure Nykur!

Mermaid Annariea
08-04-2012, 07:49 PM
mine is all drawn up. im going to post it on the 10th, just in case i think of other things to fill a few empty spaces with :D
IM SO EXCITED. everyones stuff looks so awesome.

Sea Specter
08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Tail piercings. That is all <3

Jinx
08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Here is my official submission. My son and I designed a Merman Cross Bow together and he fabricated it. IIt is made of wood that can be found at any ship wreck that a merman can find, and shells abalone shells and oyster shells, also from cording from netting.5079

Mermaid Dottie
08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey, I thought there might be more participation if people had bases to work off of, so I made a couple. If anyone wants to use these, please feel free! Just remember to sign your work, so there's no contention. ^_^ And remember, these ideas posted in this thread are for anyone to use. Says so in the rules.
Body Base (for clothing, weapons, armour, etc.)
Head Base (for hairpieces, hats, make-up, jewelry, etc.)

Happy creativity!

vence.micheal.
08-06-2012, 06:24 PM
5086my final submissions =)

vence.micheal.
08-06-2012, 06:25 PM
5087final submission continued. =)

Merman_Shawn
08-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Omg! My submission looks similar to one of these, please don't think I stole it from you! It's been drawn out for a couple weeks now, I just have a broken scanner. :(

Prince Calypso
08-07-2012, 01:11 AM

i love this absolutely adore this

spottedcatfish
08-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Thanks Mermaid Dottie for those blanks. I'm not very good at drawing. They will help out a lot.

Mermaid Dottie
08-07-2012, 03:43 PM
You're so welcome! If I helped out at least one person it makes me happy.
(although looking at vence.micheal's artistry, I'm a little bit jealous....)

Kanti
08-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Shark Armor
Essentially the marine equivalent to terrestrial light-armor, shark armor is a thinner, more lightweight apparel that is used to maintain speed and agility rather than to provide brute force or fortified defenses. Shark armor is most commonly used by open-ocean dwelling merfolk not only for the fact that light armor is essential to their high-speed lifestyle, but also for the reason that sharks are more than plentiful in the open seas. While sharks may not be the best candidate for having hard or bony body parts, their hide is thick and durable enough to be tanned into very efficient leather. Shark fins are also a great feature for light armor since they are relatively thick and difficult to pierce while still being thin and light. The hardest part of the shark, the jaws, are used for armor as well, but are more prized as use for weapons rather than apparel.
Features:
Shark-fin arm bracer - a long, layered bracer that runs from the top of the shoulder down the arm to just above the wrist. These arm bracers are made by making several layers of "plates" that consist of two shark fins sewn together at the upper length of the fin. The individual plates allow a sturdy armor that is also flexible. Usually used to defend from shark bites, marlin beaks, and even other mers, this bracer can be held up to an attacker and function as a shield. (left arm)
Shark jaw shoulders - a simple shoulder covering made from a single shark jaw. The jaw is first detatched and fastened over the shoulder with the teeth pointing outward. A simple yet effective piece when it comes to detering melee attacks or inflicting cuts and gashes to anything that gets too close. (right shoulder)
Small leather bracer - a simple bracer worn around the wrist to prevent injuries from smaller threats or even self-inflicted bowstring wounds. Made from shark leather (right arm)
Shark tail armor - a more advanced form of armor, this piece mimics the plate movement of the shoulder bracer but applies it to a much larger surface area in using shark caudal fins rather than their dorsal, pelvic, anal, or pectoral fins. This piece is usually used to protect the tail of the merman. It is usually applied to the base of the tail to protect from any serious inflictions to areas with vital organs that the shoulder bracer cannot defend against, and to the very end of the tail, right above the fluke, perhaps the thinnest part of the tail.
Shark jaw crossbow - a crossbow fashioned from the jaw of a shark, this weapon is fairly effective at medium distances. The shark's jawbone provides an amazing curve and the crossbow is actually stung AGAINST the curve. This makes the firing strength of the weapon MUCH higher and allows it to be more compact. Due to the fact this crossbow must be shot underwater and is already hindered, the curve provides an excellent boost in strength, giving it a fiting weight of around 200lbs. The large weight of the crossbow means it is difficult to load, so the crossbow is usually only used as a last resort when incapacitating an escaping prey item that may be able to outrun the mer or for extreme cases of self-denfense,

Armor Variations

Shark armor can be adorned by both males and females.

1. Sharkfin Arm Bracer
2. "Butterfly" fin brassiere
3. Shark tail armor
4. Fin Chestplate
5. Shark Jaw Shoulder plate
6. Shark Leather Arm brace
7. Fin Cincher

I don't know how practical this is, but I sure like how it looks xD
If I had to create a method to make it, it probably couldn't be made from actual shark parts, aside from
the jaws, of course. The crossbow would have to be made from wood that could be CARVED into the shape
of the jaw, but that would probably take a very skilled bowcarver or a LOT of patience. I suppose it is
possible to do, though. To fire a decent crossbow underwater, 150lbs is usually suggested, so it would have
to be some crazy wood, too.

The "shark fins" used for the outfit would have to be made from synthetic materials, and why not? It's better
than killing sharks xD I'd choose a hard yet flexible rubber, like what swim fins are made from. Hard to mimic
the cartilage but soft to make it able to pierce through to apply the fake stitching. In reality, it would probably
have to be glued with industrial glue of some sort.
Each shark fin piece is held onto the body using straps that could be glued directly to the fins or slits could be
made to tie them into place, either way.

Merman_Shawn
08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
My submission!
Here we have a mid-drift net tank, with shoulder armor, wrist cuffs, a short net cape, a diving knife, a net belt with pouch, and a cone shell tail accessory.
The shoulder armor is made of old half-gallon milk jugs, sanded and spray-painted to a metallic shine. Fishing weights are attached to the underside of each plate to prevent them from floating up around your head in the water.
The "pendents" or buttons are made of embossed metal. This is a very easy technique, as demonstrated in this woman's video:
http://youtu.be/VtKQebkNkas
The same technique is used for the wrist cuffs.
The netting for the tank-top, cape, and belt can either be purchased or made, as demonstrated here:
http://youtu.be/WW6VlflNbTU
The straps for the armor, the hemming of the shirt, and the pouch on the belt; Are made of neoprene, sponge painted to look like brown leather.
The clip on diving knife can be purchased at many scuba shops and online locations.

Yes, there will be some oxidation on the metal pieces. To avoid this, the metal should be treated with something like maybe clear nail polish.

Mermaid Lorelei
08-10-2012, 01:49 AM
I was really tempted to enter this, but unfortunately it came during my vacation and I didn't have time to draw anything up. Durn. Good job everyone, though!

Mermaid Annariea
08-10-2012, 02:24 AM
okay, guys. im gonna post my pictures. before i do though, allow me to apologize for the AWFUL image quality. i tried enhancing it on my paint.net program, but its still really hard to read everything :( i took another picture of the dagger and stuff i drew, just to show a bit more detail...
and i hope theyre not too big.

DETAILS, YAY.

- the chestplate sort of thing and the bracers could be either scaled, painted to look like metal, or painted to look like shark skin, which i think that merfolk would use as leather. the bracers have ties (i know its hard to see) which could be made green to look like some sort of seaweed cord. the chestplate thing would tie in the back to adjust to someones preferences and could either have decorations (like some sort of seaglass, shell(s), or starfish) or be plain. i sort of figured theyd be made out of neoprene/latex or silicone.

- the double "x" shaped belt could be made to look like shark skin. or maybe scaled. it would be something that the daggers' sheaths would attach to. i drew it with a starfish centerpiece/buckle. it could also double as a weight.

- the armband could be designed to look like scales, metal, or shark skin. or even just seaweed. i made it have the pod crest on it, little fake sea plants, and black "pearls" around the edges. but little shark teeth around the edges would be really cool too.

- hooray for tridents!

- a tattered fluke fins make the tail look slightly more battle-worn in my opinion. painted scars or scars molded into the tail would make it look more warrior-like as well.

- shark tooth and shell (preferably pointy shells) necklace, for the days you dont feel like wearing a chestplate.

- a conch shell horn. because... its cool. and what badass warrior doesnt want an awesome horn?

- the spear handle could be made to look like metal or driftwood, and the point (probably shouldn't be made of actual metal, same with the trident, thats a tad dangerous) could be made to look like a swordfish's... sword (can't think of the word) or a sawfish's toothy snout. or just like a normal spear tip. decorate it with shells and flowing seaweed, and it could look more ceremonial.

- and finally, the dagger. they can be used as weights, and the hilt can be decorated to look like either seaweed wrap or a shark skin leather wrap. i also decorated the tips of the hilts with shells or small starfish and fake sea plants. if it is removable from the sheath, then the sheath should have some sort of method of securing the dagger into it so it doesnt slip out while swimming. leather strips with snaps are simple and work. the sheath could probably look like shark skin.

YAAAYYY.

this is my official entry (:

SilverSiren
08-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Everyone that participated did really good. I like Kanti's and Mermaid Brianna's the best! That's my vote, I can't decide which one is best.

Mermaid Annariea
08-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Everyone that participated did really good. I like Kanti's and Mermaid Brianna's the best! That's my vote, I can't decide which one is best.

:DD OMG THANK YOU!! <3

Mermaid Annariea
08-10-2012, 08:38 AM
woah, i just realized that kanti and i had the same idea about shark hide leather!!

miamiasma
08-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Oh no! I've almost missed this challenge. I'm going to draw some things up real quick and submit them tonight. :)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
08-10-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm working on mine as we speak... hopefully the deadline isn't at midnight, though I will have them finished tonight.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
08-11-2012, 04:33 AM
Ok, here is my challenge contribution.

I wanted to stick with something that anyone, no matter their sexuality, could feel reasonably comfortable wearing, and that drew from a variety of different sea animals that aren't often featured in depictions of merfolk (much like mermen aren't often featured in depictions of merfolk).

I tried to feature the following pieces here...

1. A manta ray cape with attached torc (to mimic the front lobes of the manta and to better allow the cape to remain around the neck of an otherwise shirtless merman). The wings of the cape would fan out just a bit longer than than the merman's arm length so that the ends could be gripped while swimming, or so that the wings could be attached to bracelets or armbands of some sorts (similar to the capes of Storm from the X-men). The torc would be made of plastic or rubber, perhaps around a wire frame to adjust the fit and enable easy removal.

2. A wrap made of exotic looking fabrics similar to those used in saris and belly dancer outfits, helping to disguise the transition from tail to human flesh without drawing attention to the hips as is popular for mermaids, and also giving the image of a different culture. The wrap would not quite stretch all the way around the merman, instead ending about where his apollo's belt would be (if he has one), and would go from the lower back down to the upper thighs or a bit longer, according to taste. Keeping it in place would be a sash of flowing material at least as wide as the merman's hand but no wider than a foot, itself tied in place with a miniature anchor (bought or constructed from metal wire). The ends of the sash should hang down to just above the knees, folded over each other, a bit longer than the wrap, maybe giving a slight barbarian loin cloth look.

3. Shields. I didn't design any weapons (most public swimming areas probably don't look too favorably on weapons, and even ren faires and conventions often require weapons to be "peace-tied," so I didn't want to bother with them). However, taking inspiration from Captain America and Goofy from Kingdom Hearts, I did have two ideas for shields, each formed from plastic or some other sculptable material to make them lightweight and thin (thereby decreasing drag in the water while still looking cool). The first idea was for a giant sand dollar, utilizing the creature's cool star-shaped design. The second idea involved a horseshoe crab shell, constructed in three connected pieces (the curving top portion, the middle ridged portion, and the tail), for a more dangerous and armor-like look. Each would be connected to the arm by a pair of loose straps (velcro?). I think that both designs could be expanded to make breastplates, helmets, shoulderpads, and the like, essentially constructing two suits of armor, but I was pressed for time (even though I like the idea of mer knights and mer gladiators).

4. I had a couple ideas for shoulder pads, and I really liked merman shawn's depictions of cutting plastic jugs to form them, but I also thought it might be possible to attach them to a rash guard of some sort. The first required a toy octopus (plastic or rubber, the varieties found in toy stores and aquarium gift shops everywhere) to rest on the shoulder as if clutching the shoulder/bicep of the merman with it's tentacles, the mantle resting on the plane of the shoulders (and attached to the shoulder pad or rash guard), which I freely admit was inspired by Perfect World's Psychic Tideborn's main art image (the one shown in bipedal form, holding a blaze of blue energy). The second idea involved attaching a piece of a conch shell to the shoulder pad (here a rash guard probably wouldn't be strong enough) to make a marine version of some of World of Warcraft's impressive shoulder armor designs. Again, I'm pretty sure that both designs could be expanded into full armor (octopus or shell based), but I like them each as shoulder pads (these two could obscure that the merman is, in fact, a merman, and confuse viewers if they take up too much room). I've depicted my merman "model" wearing both varieties, as each could be impressive together, with two of them arranged symmetrically, or with only one on a single shoulder and the other shoulder bare.

5. I thought a necklace of curved, tribal-looking teeth or spines (preferably not shark teeth, but longer, more wicked-looking fangs) might be appropriate for a tribal look.

6. I also love starfish and wanted to include them, so I thought that a starfish might make a cool bracelet or armband. I confess I'm not sure how to sculpt a starfish like this, though, and construct it in such a way that it might grasp the arm, so I instead came up with the idea of making a grasping starfish attached to an arm cuff (like the genie in Aladdin wears), either made of fabric or sculpted plastic.

7. I also wanted to come up with a way to wear goggles while mermaning, so I designed an idea for taking goggles, attaching a sea shell to the top and affixing a forward-curving dangling lure with some means of light (my initial idea was to use one of those cheap glow in the dark necklaces for the whole thing, but it wouldn't look quite right and I'll have to do more research into whether those things are waterproof... wouldn't want to leak chemicals into the water. Failing that, a small waterproof bulb (perhaps solar-powered or glow in the dark) might work just as well and wouldn't require constant replacement after use. This, especially combined with the toothy necklace described above, might give a very eerie, anglerfish-esque appearance, and still allow you to wear goggles without breaking the glamour of fantasy.

8. Similarly, I had the idea for a knight-like helmet mask covering and allowing the use of a diving mask, enabling the merman to wear a mask while disguising that fact by using a seahorse-inspired facial plate (again, constructed of plastic) modeled after a knight's visor. Ostensibly, the diving mask would be able to fit into and "lock" into the seahorse visor mask. Like some of the other items, I thought that this (and the anglerfish design) could be expanded into full armor, perhaps giving mermen (and more martial mermaids) some style other than that of pirates when attending ren faires, instead being representatives of Neptune's Kingdom of the Lady of the Lake.

9. While not specific to mermen (this one could work quite well for the ladies as well) I was thinking that remoras might give an impression of sleekness, power and actually being part of the environment, and that they could be created either from existing fish toys (with the dorsal fins removed and sanded down a bit, replaced by hooks or latches of some sort) or sculpted from gray/silvery rubber, plastic, clay, etc, and affixed to different locations on the hips and tail.

I was again unable to apply the images here, but I have posted them on my deviantart pages:

http://un1c0rny.deviantart.com/#/d5as999

http://un1c0rny.deviantart.com/art/Merman-Fashion-2-320445615

Mermaid Annariea
08-13-2012, 02:46 AM
so, how/when is everyone going to be voting on this?

Winged Mermaid
08-13-2012, 02:53 AM
A poll will be up soon! This is Malinghi's domain and he's in the middle of a move, but I know he hasn't forgotten and will be on top of it asap!

Mermaid Annariea
08-13-2012, 03:17 AM
gotcha! thanks :D

malinghi
08-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Sorry for the delay guys! The poll is officially open! Voting ends in one week!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
08-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Hmmm... I almost feel bad about posting my own designs, here, since there are so many cool features here. Mermaid Saphira's armor/vest/sleeveless top looks awesome, Nykur's fin piercings are a nice touch, Vallee33's chest looks convenient, mermaid dottie's two designs both look regal (I like the knight's hip wrap and the prince's seaweed vest a lot), mermaid madeleine's netting sash and shark tooth crown would look cool, and green 52's trident sling looks extremely useful. Mermaid Jewel, I think you're onto something with the futuristic sci-fi armor concept, and I'm sorry we didn't get to see your designs. MermanJV's outfit is lovely and sexy, mermaid celissa's sea urchin tail loop and jellyfish hat are clever, and I like her kraken armband (I promise you I didn't model my octopus shoulder pad after it), Jinx's crossbow looks great with the seashells, vence.michael.'s designs are attractive and sleekly bad-boyish at once (I particularly like the straps and coral and chain mail designs), kanti's layered shark fin designs look incredible, and I love the Final-Fantasy style of Shawn's work (and the should pad designs, which I do admit using), and Mermaid Brianna's detailed pod-crest armband and chest/shoulder plate, not to mention the finned bracers.

This might be difficult.

green52
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I think there should be a run-off poll between the top two or three.

Mermaid Annariea
08-21-2012, 12:42 PM
green52, what do you mean?

Spindrift
08-21-2012, 05:50 PM
@Brianna: He means to get the top 3 winners and have a poll just concentrating on those three.

Mermaid Annariea
08-21-2012, 06:59 PM
spindrift, thanks! i thought thats what he meant, just making sure xD

malinghi
08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
A runoff might be cool since this one had more people participating that ever before, but I don't think thats necessary. Congratulations to Kanti on her winning entry!

malinghi
08-24-2012, 03:50 PM
I just posted a banner of the front page to congratulate the winner and runners up.

Also, I just made separate threads for all these designs so we can discuss them more and keep working on them. The threads are in the Tops and Clothing (http://mernetwork.com/index/forumdisplay.php?28-Tops-and-Clothing) section of the forum. I'd love to see more of this stuff!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
08-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I also posted a thread about weapons a couple weeks ago... I'm trying to find some designs that I'll hopefully be able to scan and post for your viewing enjoyment.

Raayvhen
08-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Grats Kanti! You did an awesome job