PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of the smell from fish netting?

Sea Pearl
07-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Well I'm finally getting around to making my first mermaid shell top. I wanted to use something that looked like fish netting to go over the bra, so I went and bought some of that decorative netting from the Hobby Lobby for 5.99. When I got back I opened it up and took it out of the plastic bag I immediately noticed that it has a strong smell to it. It says on the back of the packet that it is authentic used fish netting. And I wondered if there was any way to get rid of the smell? It's not overly strong but even if I can get rid of it some that would be good. Any advice?

Mermaid Lorelei
07-18-2012, 10:01 PM
The longer it sits outside of the package, the less intense the smell. Also, you could wash it with some warm water in the sink.

Sea Pearl
07-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I'll try that. It's been sitting out on my deck for a few hours and already the smell seems to be going.

Maple
07-19-2012, 01:32 AM
I washed mine in the washing machine and hung it to dry. Now it smells lovely.

Lyna
07-19-2012, 08:02 PM
swimming in it for a few times will take care of the smell. my nets never had a smell...either type i've used. BUT i have several bags of natural dried starfish and omg. no, it's strong. my assistant says the smell drives her nuts and makes her wants to gag when she's near it. a tiny bit of bleach in the kitchen sink with water does the trick. not enough to alter the color of the dye in your net or deteriorate your dried friends, just enough to eliminate all it's funky scents.

Thalassa
07-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I got mine from there, too! I washed it in the machine once but it still smells a little. XP Hopefully the smell will dissipate more over time.