PDA

View Full Version : Underwater stills....any tips ??

Mermaid Citrine
07-19-2012, 03:14 AM
I just had my first underwater *PAID* shoot !! wooo hoo :) :)
okay but I am a very floaty mermaid :(
meaning I cannot seem to stay underwater unless I'm swimming and propelling myself down constantly,
it was very hard for me to stay underwater and then pose still for a photo...I float to the top so fast !

I have read that people have different bouyancies and some ppl in fact cannot float at all ! they sink without trying making it
really hard to swim on the surface...funny for a mermaid I wish I had that problem ;)

I'm starting to wonder if all the pro mermaids out there with beautiful underwater stills have weights hidden somewhere ?

so share your tips for staying under if you have any,
oh yeah I've also read to get rid of your air to help you sink, but then I have to come up for air right away, I need to save some air for the way up.. :/

Thanks !

Drowning
07-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Citrine,

Emptying your lungs isn't as bad as it sounds. Just try this sometime - Hold onto the pool ladder, take a deep breath and descend. As you are holding the ladder, exhale all of your breath until your lungs are empty. Don't bolt for the surface! Just relax, and you'll discover you have more time than you thought before you truly feel the urge to surface.

Raayvhen
07-19-2012, 11:50 AM
If you start out by floating on your back then you empty your breath slowly you should start to sink. I have a sinking problem and unless I take a really big breath I go down.

Sea Pearl
07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Good advice :) I've been wondering that myself. I'm going to try that sometime when I next go to the pool.

Thalassa
07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Oooh oooh ooh!

I'm floaty, too! Can't reach the bottom of the pool without swimming really hard. I was scared to let my breath out, so I did hold onto the ladder (in the 5 ft where I can still stand up), let most of my breath out and then bent my knees and dunked. I was able to GET under, not able to stay under very well. I come up to the surface slower, but I still come up.

I was in chat one day and somebody mentioned that nerine the mermaid (I've forgotten her actual username) makes weight belts disguised as shell belts. A picture of her wearing the belt (https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/224645_210268378997009_8074843_n.jpg). I ordered one and it cost me $75 (I think, somewhere around there).

A weight belt will make it easier, but sinking is possible by emptying your lungs a bit. Practice holding on to the side or ladder until your comfy with it.

Drowning
07-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Oooh oooh ooh!

I was in chat one day and somebody mentioned that nerine the mermaid (I've forgotten her actual username) makes weight belts disguised as shell belts. A picture of her wearing the belt (https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/224645_210268378997009_8074843_n.jpg). I ordered one and it cost me $75 (I think, somewhere around there).

LOVE that shell weight belt!! I think I feel a costume design coming together....

Mermaid Citrine
07-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips ! I will try this !

Lyna
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
i can't float at all.... :( it's always one of 2 evils, right? my biggest concern on underwater shots (which i hope to be having soon with a friend of mine filming for fun) is being able to open my eyes fully and look natural and keep good mermaidy expressions vs distress or bubbles. idk how girls can pose so long without ever seeing them let out any air. it's so amazing.

Thalassa
07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
@Lyna: I know, right? I think my regular expression is a grimace. XP I hope do get a friend to film or photograph, too. I wish we could see it without that, but holding a mirror and swimming is difficult.

MermanJesse
07-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Communicate with your photographer.

Let them know you're going to do, and that when bubbles stop coming out, you are in position for them to snap the shot.

That is how we achieved these:

I had Dennis wait to take the pics until I stopped exhaling. When the bubbles stop, snap the shot. Works rather well.

Do the same pose several times until you get the shots you want. Make sure you rest in between.

Raayvhen
07-19-2012, 06:34 PM
@Lyna, I've never been able to float until recently. Just take a super big gulp of air and let yourself go up.

Lyna
07-19-2012, 06:54 PM
jesse: those are so rad!!! the water is so clear! i'm jealous. i need a swim spot like that. p.s. did you get my emails?

Azurin Luna
07-21-2012, 11:57 AM
I saw in one of the behind the scene shots of aquamarine you can see they put strips in her tail to weight her down. I think they are long slim bags with lead beats in it or something like that. But I think it will only work well if your tail is very floaty... like mine is. Without it I sink, with it my legs float up and I hang upside down holding onto the pool ladder

Ilonka
07-24-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm an underwater model for both mermaid and non mermaid photoshoots and it just takes practice. Underwater photography and modeling is a challenge but its also an amazing experience. I have used weights under a dress like in this photo:
But even with using weights u need to empty your lungs.
In this photo I didn't use weights but I had to empty my lungs and push myself onto the floor. My tail is extremely buoyant so its a challenge to take this type of photo while using it
In general it depends on your underwater experience, my first shoot I used weights and now I don't need them anymore, you just have to learn how to regulate your air and stay still as best as you can.
Make sure to pay attention to your face, arm positions and body as well. If you need more advice PM me :)