PDA

View Full Version : Making a mold box

Mermaid Cascada
07-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi :D I am making a mold box for my latex tail. I am currently waiting to go get the wood with my dad but... I have to wait until the weekend and I am just not that patient :p So I was wondering if there are any other items I can use to make a mold box? It has to be 5 feet in length (or more) and 3-4 feet wide.

Ayla of Duluth
07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
...sheet metal is a possibility but it's most impractical
hmm.
glass, acrylic, also impractical

If I were you, I'd just wait until the weekend. After all, its already thursday. What's a few more days wait? maybe do some other tail stuff like punching out scales.

Mermaid Cascada
07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I guess I could punch out more scales :p I'm sooo excited :D Maybe while I wait I'll order some supplies.

Kanti
07-19-2012, 02:44 PM
You can use a lighter wood like MDF board or balsa wood if you want, but they may not be as
cheap. Generally you can use anything as long as it's stiff enough to support the molding materials
you put inside. Mermaid Lorelei used cardboard and clay as her walls, people mention using styrofoam
a few times and it works out alright.
Most professional molding companies use acrylic, but it's very hard to cut without a machine so it's
impractical like Ayla said.

Mermaid Lorelei
07-19-2012, 02:59 PM
I have tried wood, and it works. It's just a bit annoying.

Mermaid Cascada
07-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Could I use cardboard or clay for the bottom too?

Mermaid Lorelei
07-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't use clay for the bottom, but cardboard would be just fine.

Kanti
07-19-2012, 03:04 PM
You'd have to clean it up off the floor so that probably wouldn't be good xD
You could always get a piece of wood or a cutting matt as your flooring, then build
walls of clay. Clay may be messy but it's great because you can disassemble the mold
box completely when you're done using it.

merpirate
07-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Well, me and mermaid star made her fluke box out a a peice of plywood and clay walls (As seen in her making of Q&A videos), but I would suggest VERY STRONGLY that you wait for the wood, it is easier by far

Mermaid Cascada
07-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Okay. :D Thanks for all your guys help :) I appreciate it a lot!