PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Movie Theater Shooting

Winged Mermaid
07-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Colorado Movie Theater Shooting: 71 Victims The Largest Mass Shooting
(http://abcnews.go.com/US/aurora-colo-batman-shooting-71-victims-largest-mass/story?id=16817842#.UAmvQnDArOW)

Twelve people were killed and 59 were injured in Aurora, Colo., during a sold-out midnight premier of the new Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises" when 24-year-old James Holmes unloaded four weapons' full of ammunition into the unsuspecting crowd.

The number of casualties makes the incident the largest mass shooting in U.S. history.

Holmes, a graduate student at a nearby college with a clean arrest record, entered the movie auditorium wearing a ballistics helmet, bullet-proof vest, bullet-proof leggings, gas mask and gloves. He detonated multiple smoke bombs, and then began firing at viewers in the sold-out auditorium, police said today.

Bullets from the spree tore through the theater and into adjoining theaters, where at least one other person was struck and injured. Ten members of "The Dark Knight Rises" audience were killed in theater, while two others died later at area hospitals. Numerous patrons were in critical condition at six local hospitals, the Aurora police said this afternoon.

Holmes was apprehended within minutes of the 12:39 a.m. shooting at his car behind the theater, where police found him in full riot gear and carrying three weapons, including a AR-15 assault rifle, which can hold upwards of 100 rounds, a Remington 12 gauge shot gun, and a .40 Glock handgun. A fourth handgun was found in the vehicle. Agents from the federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms are tracing the weapons.

According to police sources, Holmes told the officers arresting him that he was "The Joker," referring to the villain in the second installment of the Batman movie trilogy, "The Dark Knight." He also warned police that he had booby-trapped his apartment, leading officers to evacuate the Aurora apartment building.

Police Chief Dan Oates said today that police and bomb squads have found a large number of explosive devices and trip wires at Holmes' apartment and have not yet decided how to proceed without setting off explosions.

"The pictures we have from inside the apartment are pretty disturbing considering how elaborate the apartment is booby trapped," police said outside of the apartment complex today. The "flammable and explosive" materials could have blown up Holmes' apartment building and the ones near it, police said.

The apartment complex is home exclusively to University of Colorado Medical Center students, patients, and staff members, residents tell ABC News.

Moviegoer Christopher Ramos today recalled the real-life horror of the midnight premiere of the latest Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises," in Aurora, Colo., as a gunman decked in riot gear set off smoke bombs and opened fire on the unsuspecting audience.

"People were running everywhere, running on top of me, like kicking me, jumping over me. And there were bodies on the ground," Ramos said. "I froze up. I was scared. I honestly thought I was going to die."

"The image in our heads is stuck in there. I still have the ticket right here and honestly, I'm never going to forget this night at all. Because it was the first time I saw something that was real. Like a real-life nightmare that was there, not dreaming of," Ramos told ABC News today.

Witnesses in the movie theater said Holmes saw smoke and heard gunshots that they thought were part of the movie until they saw Holmes standing in front of the screen, after entering from an emergency exit. Holmes methodically stalked the aisles of the theater, shooting people at random, as panicked movie-watchers in the packed auditorium tried to escape, witnesses said.

At one point the shooter exited the theater only to wait outside the doors and pick off patrons as they tried to exit, witness Jennifer Seeger told "Good Afternoon America."

"You just smelled smoke and you just kept hearing it, you just heard bam bam bam, non-stop. The gunman never had to reload. Shots just kept going, kept going, kept going," one witness told ABC News.

"I'm with coworkers and we're on the floor praying to God we don't get shot, and the gunshots continue on and on, and when the sound finally stopped, we started to get up and people were just bleeding," another theatergoer said.

The suspected shooter will face his first court appearance next week, according to district attorney Carol Chambers.

Holmes, originally of San Diego, moved to Aurora to pursue his Ph.D. at the University of Colorado medical center, living just blocks from the hospital in an apartment that police say is now laced with explosives and being searched by HazMat teams.

Federal law enforcement sources tell ABC News that Holmes bought a ticket to the movie, slipped out of the theater once it began and propped open the emergency exit before gathering his weapons and gear and coming back into the theater. Once inside, he opened fire.

A San Diego woman identifying herself as James Holmes's mother spoke briefly with ABC News this morning.

She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.

"You have the right person," she said.

"I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado."

The woman and her husband later released a statement saying their "hearts go out to those who involved in this tragedy and to the families and friends of those involved. We are still trying to process this information and we appreciate that people will respect our privacy."

The highly-anticipated third installment of the Batman trilogy opened to packed auditoriums around the country at midnight showings on Friday morning, and features a villain named Bane who wears a bulletproof vest and gas mask. Trailers for the movie show explosions at public events including a football game. Though many moviegoers dressed in costume to attend the opening night screening, police have made no statements about any connection between the gunman's motives and the movie.

Police in New York have intensified security around showings of the film throughout the five boroughs today, with Police Commissioner Ray Kelley saying that "as a precaution against copycats and to raise the comfort levels among movie patrons in the wake of the horrendous shooting in Colorado, the New York City Police Department is providing coverage at theaters where the 'The Dark Knight Rises' is playing."

The Paris premiere of the movie has been cancelled in the wake of the shootings. "Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time," the movie's producers said in a statement.

Witnesses watching movies in theaters next to the one where the shooting took place said bullets tore through the theater walls and they heard screaming.

"The suspect throws tear gas in the air, and as the tear gas appears he started shooting," said Lamar Lane, who was watching the midnight showing of the movie with his brother. "It was very hard to breathe. I told my brother to take cover. It took awhile. I started seeing flashes and screaming, I just saw blood and people yelling and a quick glimpse of the guy who had a gas mask on. I was pushed out. There was chaos, we started running."

One witness said she saw people dropping to the ground after the gunshots began.

"We were maybe 20 or 30 minutes into the movie and all you hear, first you smell smoke, everybody thought it was fireworks or something like that, and then you just see people dropping and the gunshots are constant," witness Christ Jones told ABC's Denver affiliate KMGH. "I heard at least 20 to 30 rounds within that minute or two."

A man who talked to a couple who was inside the theater told ABC News, "They got up and they started to run through the emergency exit, and that when she turned around, she said all she saw was the guy slowly making his way up the stairs and just firing at people, just picking random people," he said. "The gunshots continued to go on and on and then after we didn't hear anything...we finally got up and there was people bleeding, there was people obviously may have been actually dead or anything, and we just ran up out of there, there was chaos everywhere."

Witnesses and victims were taken to Gateway High School for questioning.

Hundreds of police and FBI agents are involved in the investigation. A senior official who is monitoring the situation in Washington said that early guidance based on the early snapshot of this man's background indicated that this act does not appear to be linked to radical terrorism or anything related to Islamic terrorism.

Dr. Comilla Sasson, at the University of Colorado Hospital where many of the victims were taken, said they are currently operating on nine critical patients and have treated 22 in all. She called the hospital "an absolutely terrifying scene all night."

"The good news is that the 3-month-old has actually been discharged home and is in the care of their parents

In a statement, President Obama said, "Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado. Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time. We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded."

For continuing coverage on "Tragedy in Colorado: The Batman Massacre," tune in to "World News," "20/20" and "Nightline."

Jadestone
07-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I've been reading about this all morning. It is so sad, and shocking. Movie theaters are where people go to suspend their belief, and let themselves be vulnerable to the emotions and actions of those onscreen; a refuge from the real world. For someone to take advantage of that to willfully kill and harm others is sickening.
My thoughts go out to all the survivors, and the friends and families of anyone in the theater.

malinghi
07-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Ugh. Senseless violence is so heartbreaking.

deepblue
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
I don't know if we have any members who could have been there. I hope our Colorado members are all okay... of course, this many people being killed and injured, the pain will extend far beyong Colorado.

Aquatarian
07-20-2012, 05:22 PM
I actually live 10 minutes from where it happened, and I work at the shopping center about 500 ft away from Century 16. I've been to that theater countless times. Thankfully no one I know personally was there, but there definitely were some mutual friends, friend's siblings, and cousins and so on and that were there and witnessed it all.

It was really scary this morning because I didn't know if any of my close friends had gone to see the movie last night, I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for replies from everyone. Thankfully none of my closest friends went but it's funny, almost every person I talked said that they almost went to see the midnight show but decided not to at the last minute (whether it be because they didn't have a ride, a friend bailed on them, or they were having car trouble or they just decided not to go).

It just really makes you think about how the tiniest decisions and details can make all the difference.

Mermaid Dottie
07-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Anyone else love his idea?

Alveric
07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't know. It's well meant, but I think if I was in the hospital or had a child in the hospital due to this tragedy, I would have had my fill of masked men and would as soon pass. Maybe some time later.

deepblue
07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't, only because the kids might be thoroughly traumatized by anything Batman right now, and considering what the shooter was wearing, though it wasn't a Batman costume.

Give it some time, and then, maybe- if all the kids can handle it.

Winged Mermaid
07-20-2012, 06:12 PM
On a related note, AMC theaters have declared a "no costumes of any kind" rule. Other theaters likely to follow...No cosplays for upcoming films such as Twilight, Hunger Games, The hobbit, etc.

Jadestone
07-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Aquatarian- Glad to hear you and those you know are safe!

The no costumes thing is very sad... I certainly understand it and after recent events I'm sure it'll make people feel safer, but I love dressing up for movies and am sad to see that go (dressed up for Batman last night in fact).

I can at least hope my local college theater won't feel the need to follow suit since it's not a chain and located in a very small town... was planning with a group of friends to dress up for The Hobbit.

Ayla of Duluth
07-20-2012, 08:08 PM
but there's no such thing as bullet proof leggings...

Spindrift
07-20-2012, 09:52 PM
but there's no such thing as bullet proof leggings...

I'm pretty sure there are. Just Google 'kevlar leggings'.

Sea Pearl
07-20-2012, 09:53 PM
I first heard about this at about 7:00 this morning on yahoo and have been hearing it on the news and everywhere all day, I am shocked and saddened. I am so relieved to hear I had no friends there but it's so sad to see people’s lives taken in such a senseless way who went there to just enjoy the movie. My prayers and thoughts go out to all the victims; they're families and the witnesses.

Blondie
07-20-2012, 11:23 PM
I seriously and beyond all shock when I saw this.

Going to see midnight premiers are such an innocent way to have fun. I seriously am just beyond pissed that someone would just wake up and decide it was a good idea to go do something like that

I support the right to bare arms, but no one should have the right to carry machine and automatic guns. Hunters should get their rifles and that's it. I have no idea what the NRA is going to say to this one...

And I f*cking hate that this guy will most likely plead that he's "mentally ill" and he'll get life in prison with a bed to sleep in and three meals a day. And yet there are twelve people who are dead and fifty people in the hospital.

And now people are going to be scared of going to movies and Batman. Kids are forever going to be scared by anything Batman related and movie theaters. I LOVE the Batman movies and honestly, right now I don't have any desire to go see the movie... It's just too cryptic and haunting.

I wish that we would have our real Batman. But there is something Batman teaches everyone. Out of tragedy can come greatness. So let's be greater.

Spindrift
07-20-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't think he will plead mentally ill. It's too well planned. And with the booby traps. He was very much aware of what he was doing.
He was a PhD student in neuroscience. True, he was in the process of dropping out, but I highly doubt that securing a place to sleep and food to eat was his intent.

Aquatarian
07-21-2012, 12:23 AM
AMC declared they are still going to allow costumes, just stricter guidelines like: "No fake weapons or props" and "No masks or other forms of facial concealment".

We're starting to hear about those who were killed. It just sucks seeing statuses on fb and other places because even though you don't know these people personally you can see how much they touched the lives of people you care about...

Merman_Shawn
07-21-2012, 12:39 AM
I lived about 5 minutes from here when I was a kid. This is so sad. I got about 10 phone calls from various people this morning letting me know they were all right.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-21-2012, 03:03 AM
Batman's story is one of reclaiming the darkness of the night, the city, and the human mind and soul from the brink of tragedy (where his own parents were shot and killed before his very eyes as a child). While he has never been my favorite superhero (besides our mutual appreciation of the coolness of bats), he is an icon and a symbol of courage, hope, and triumph over evil, and that one doesn't need powers or special bloodlines or genetics or magic to save the day... just courage, determination, and hard work (though money and genius help, too).

I was worried that this message would be lost in the uproar over these horrific attacks (and I do think a costumed Christian Bale visiting hospitals, while well-intentioned, is not what people need right now). Did anyone see the interviews about the African-American young man who dived in the way and took a bullet that would have hurt either a pregnant woman or a mother with kids (I can't remember which from the tv interview), and says that he chooses not to hate Holmes, because allowing hate to fester would just further mark and control his life, instead allowing him to move on? He also showed a great deal of humility, and shied away from being called a hero. I think his wisdom and courage are something that we should take from this event, not the grim spectacle that the news is making of it all. I think that if Paris is banning the movie, they should reconsider allowing Churches, political office, postal services, marriage, and even France itself, all of which have a history of "inspiring" tremendous violence and atrocities, and all of which would be just as ludicrous.

People go too far, when what they need to do is figure out what they're already doing wrong. Why did no one pick up on this guy, his preparations, his stockpiling weapons and constructing traps, his attitudes, etc. Why didn't the alarm go off when he went through the emergency exit to begin with? Why wasn't something done to prevent this, and how did it happen? I am also concerned that in the vast fanfare, those questions will go unanswered.

And, I'll admit, I'm a little worried that some selfish, foolish people will take this horrific event as an excuse to return the incredibly bad idea that was the comics code authority.

Spindrift
07-21-2012, 09:07 AM
That was a very beautiful and well written post, Joy. I love the quip about the guy who took the bullet for the lady. I also heard that there was a girl who narrowly missed a Toronto (maybe?) shooting because she felt something was wrong but was in this one. What were the chances of that?

I really liked what you said about choosing not to hate the guy. What happened is definitely a tragedy and I'm so very sorry for the people and their families who got hurt. Although I am aware it is very hard to not be angry, I am not sure if anger is the best way to deal with situations like these. It could lead to very rash and irrational decisions/assumptions/actions/repercussions and might just leave even more people hurt.

Mermaid Narina
07-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I really liked what you said about choosing not to hate the guy. What happened is definitely a tragedy and I'm so very sorry for the people and their families who got hurt. Although I am aware it is very hard to not be angry, I am not sure if anger is the best way to deal with situations like these. It could lead to very rash and irrational decisions/assumptions/actions/repercussions and might just leave even more people hurt.

your so right. Hate is what causes all these tradgedies, and noone needs any more hate right now.
i feel so terrible that these things happen in our world, and that some people become so desensitized to violence that they can do these things]
im not sure about batman wearing a mask and outfit, but him coming in person to the hospital would be really sweet.

AniaR
07-21-2012, 04:11 PM
I coudlnt even function yesterday with this. I am so scared/sad. Also, I know people have their heart in the right place trying to convince "batman" to visit the victims but I think that would actually cause EXTREME PTSD symptoms in people. Maybe later on down the road DC can do something special for these people.

Aquatarian
07-22-2012, 12:25 AM
I found out today that my next door neighbor, Rebecca Wingo, was one of the victims inside the movie theater. My thoughts are with her 2 daughters and her mother.

I have to go back to work tomorrow when they reopen the mall. I don't know how I feel or how I'm going to feel seeing the theater as I drive into the parking lot.

~

And just a tidbit, going in costume is taking it a bit too far. If the actors themselves went, in person, that would be a much better idea. Still though, things need to cool down first. People need to be given time to heal.

Spindrift
07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Christian Bale visits Colorado shooting victims

By Meriah Doty | Movie Talk (http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/) – 2 hours 10 minutes ago

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/gvOy5zGrmKsSngX3mtziPg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/blogs/movietalk/630-christianbale-shootingvictim-jpg_214335.jpg

Star of the latest trilogy of Batman films, Christian Bale, was seen in Aurora, Colorado, on Tuesday visiting victims of last week's deadly shooting that took place at a midnight screening of his film "The Dark Knight Rises (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=128m1s2of/EXP=1344376598/**http%3A//movies.yahoo.com/movie/the-dark-knight-rises/)."

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Iz6uws2_p1O3Hw85HMEJSw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTQwMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/blogs/movietalk/400-christianbale-wife-jpg_234530.jpg
Bale, second right, and his wife Sibi Blazic place flowers on a memorial Tuesday in Aurora. (Photo: AP Images)

Bale is said to have gone of his own volition, according to a Warner Bros. employee: "Mr. Bale is there as himself, not representing Warner Bros.," an assistant to the studio's executive VP Susan Fleishman told The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/theatershooting/ci_21147699/christian-bale-town-visiting-victims-shooting).
In the first photo above, Bale is seen with shooting victim Carey Rottman -- who posted the picture to his Facebook page along with the message: "Wow!!! Thank you so much for the visit Christian!! What a great guy! Still in shock!"
The Denver Post is reporting that Bale spent about two-and-a-half hours at the hospital visiting seven patients who were injured in the movie theater shooting. "The patients were really happy to meet Bale," Bill Voloch, interim president of Medical Center of Aurora, told the Post.

Bale is reported to have arrived at the Aurora hospital by ambulance around 2 p.m. with his wife Sibi Blazic. The couple are said to have met with several doctors, police officers and EMTs who were first responders to the scene of the shooting. They also met with Gov. John Hickenlooper. "It was good for the patients... We hope it was therapeutic for them, and all the staff really appreciated him coming," Voloch further told the Denver Post.
Voloch revealed he was notified that Bale wanted to visit the injured, but was asked not to notify the media the actor was coming.
On Saturday, Bale issued the following statement (http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/christian-bale-colorado-shooting-words-cannot-express-horror-202304099.html): "Words cannot express the horror that I feel. I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them."
Other cast members who have made statements since last week's shooting that left 12 dead and more than 50 injured include Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Gary Oldman and the film's director Christopher Nolan.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/christian-bale-visits-colorado-shooting-victims-220129641.html (http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/christian-bale-visits-colorado-shooting-victims-220129641.html)