PDA

View Full Version : A Snake Tail - Help needed from USA

Mermaid Miel
07-21-2012, 06:58 AM
This is a long Tail (Pun intended :p) So I will start at the beginning before asking for help.

My childhood friend has a webcomic that he adores... to the point of writing a script and begging me to play a character. Funny short script, Katelyn has no lines, semi-interesting comic. Okay, I have nothing else to do.

http://youtu.be/noBbUTtLxwI

Then he starts talking about Episode 2 and how it will have scenes "In Character Costume." and since I make mermaid tails then could I make Kin's Snake Tail?

Okay... do you have fabric in mind?
No, I trust you to make all the Visual Choices, One should be a skirt (for walking) the other full costume needs to be Standable, Padded for a sleeping scene and Swimmable.

Argh!
Figured out the How-to but I have had the hardest time finding matching snake-skin fabrics in Kin's colours (Olive/DarkGreen and Beige/orange)

The ONLY option I have found so far is this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-YARD-CROC-HOLOGRAM-NYLON-SPANDEX-NEW-/290700481058?pt=US_Fabric&var=&hash=item43af195222
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-YARD-CROC-HOLOGRAM-NYLON-SPANDEX-NEW-/290700481058?pt=US_Fabric&var=&hash=item43af195222)
And they will not ship to me in Australia...

Will someone in the USA pleeease let me buy this fabric to their address, then ship it on to me in Australia?
I am willing to pay them the postage.

EDIT: Different Fabric was ordered and has arrived. Help not needed, but stay tunned to see the end of the tail.

Spindrift
07-21-2012, 08:43 AM
When do you need it by?

Mermaid Narina
07-21-2012, 09:52 AM
being in Australia, i have the same problem :L
i was going to get a myUS.com account, but its not worth it if i'm only purchasing one thing. < its where they give you an american address and they redirect it to your address. :)
post pics when its done, it sounds like it will be really cool! :D

Spindrift
07-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Also MeriaMiel, you look very similar to one of my oldest/best friends currently studying in Townsville, haha. I did a double take when I watched the video. Except her hair is very brown. Very cute!

Mermaid Miel
07-21-2012, 10:15 AM
I need the tail finished before the end of August, so there isn't too much of a rush.

I did consider a myUS account too, but they're soo expensive for what is only a few items each year.

And Wow! both of my sisters have brown hair... I'm a dark blonde, but I have recently (since filming) dyed it strawberry blonde. I got the curls using paper bags for the shoot.

Spindrift
07-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Ah. I will not be in the US until mid-August, however, I have a friend that can definitely do it for you, if no one else is able to. :) I have no idea how long it will take to get to you though, since it has to get to New York first, then to Australia.

Toxotes
07-21-2012, 12:38 PM
A snake tail would be really cool.

Hoping to see pictures or video soon. :)

Maple
07-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I know exactly which comic you're talking about. I used to work with Thunt when he lived in Vancouver. He's a sweet guy.

Anyway, Kin doesn't have a snake skin pattern on her tail. It's more like an elephant's trunk, to be honest. Why not get some plain olive green fabric and use some paint to pounce a pattern on?

Mermaid Miel
07-22-2012, 10:32 AM
It's more the type of fabric + colour that had me bamboozled. I'd found a near perfect colours in silk, velvet and cotton when I need Spandex fabric if I have to swim in it.

But... I'm now looking for plain colour spandex, thanks for the idea Maple.

Merman_Shawn
07-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I imagine this is going to be very difficult. Creating a swimmable tail without a fin to propel it. Also snakes swim side to side, so that's another hurdle. I wish you very good luck, and I'm sure you'll come up with something genius.

Maple
07-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Unless she just makes almost like...a tail with no flukes? Or makes the main body to fit her legs and toes, and extends the costume with a light gauzy fabric that won't drag in the water as much?

My fin is removable from my tail, so every time I get out of it I spend a moment with having my fluke fabric swirl around me and drag while I'm trying to maneuver out of the water. Trust me, lots of extra spandex is heavy in the water!

Mermaid Miel
07-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Okay... design plan for the snake tail, with help from the guy at Clarke Rubber. (plastic/rubber/foam/pool store)

The Tail will fit me tightly to about mid thigh... then there will be inserts of closed-cell-foam cut to varying widths to create the illusion that the tail is the same thickness with no knees/legs/ankles. The Closed-cell-foam is the same stuff as pool noodles and will provide buoyancy in the water, so this is a surface swim only. (pout)

I have been practising swimming side to side... but I will only really be able to test it when the tail is finished.
Luckily for me, Q4T is paying for the entirety of the tail (the fabric alone will be $100 USD. The closed cell foam is $30 per square. a Square being 30cm/12inches all around)
I just have to make it.

Toxotes
07-25-2012, 12:03 AM
That seems to be a well-thought plan.

My best wishes to you for this project. :thumbs-up:

Martin
07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
If you decide to use an American forwarding service you should check them out first, this independent blog compares the better-known ones side-by-side:

http://www.usa-package-forwarding-comprarison.com/blog/

hope it helps!

Mermaid Miel
08-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Okay! The fabric is ordered. (finally)
There Was some delay and confusion, with Q4T wanting buy fabric for a Ten Yard Tail
(I had to put my foot down. I will be swimming, not strangling a scorpion-tailed alternate verse Kin. The swimming Kin's tail seems much shorter and I refuse to swim in ten yards of Fabric.)

Things will hopefully go much faster soon with half of the tail yet to be ordered.

Mermaid Miel
09-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Fabric Arrived and has met with Jon's delighted approval. The Colour is Perfect. (It should be, it cost $100!)
To justify their unfairly high flat international fee the company sent along another 2 Yards of Light Aqua Spandex. Jon kindly gave it to me. (It's preetty!)

The tail will be 4metres long with Closed Cell Foam Ribs.
The people we're buying from don't do circle cutting with the thickest widths, so they will send it to another company to cut the elipses we need... price tag $400 total.

Even before I put this together we are looking at a $500 tail. Hopefully it works.

Azurin Luna
09-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Good luck with your tail, I hope it works out

Mizuko
09-15-2012, 07:41 PM
This sounds amazing! :D I cant wait to see it finished! If you do test swims I'd love to come along and watch! :D

Mermaid Miel
12-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Coming up on the start of December and guess what's finally complete!

http://youtu.be/54ET24iHFpE (refusing to let me post clip... dont know if this is a site glitch or just my crappy laptop playing up)

The scales still need to be painted and pinned down, The tail is getting a light sponge paint job too. The purple jacket needs to be done as well.

Mermaid Miel
12-01-2012, 07:37 AM
http://youtu.be/54ET24iHFpE

MerAnthony
12-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Looks great but we didn't see the whole tail in it's glory. LOL

Ashe
12-01-2012, 10:36 AM
From what I could see, it looks great! :D

Toxotes
12-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Looks very good so far.
You are doing a good job! :thumbs-up:
Please keep us informed about future updates.

And agreeing with MerAnthony, please show us pictures or a clip of the whole tail.

Mermaid Miel
12-01-2012, 10:42 PM
There will be a full on scan of it in Episode 2, I just need to finish securing the scales and do the paint job!

Mermaid Miel
01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Okay, finally did some "swimming" in it (Really I floated and was pulled along from my inflatable board.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9thRx6UtN0

Mermaid Miel
01-09-2013, 05:54 AM
Am I the only one who sees Google adds blocking half of EVERY Youtube vid posted?

EDIT: fixed it! I had adblockplus disabled so I enabled it. =D

spottedcatfish
01-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Wow... I look forward to more updates on the series!