PDA

View Full Version : MerPeople Problems

New York Mermaid
07-22-2012, 03:47 PM
This thread needed to be done, in light of the meetup yesterday haha

*Trying to get the tail on as fast as possible

*Scooting into the ocean as the rough waves beat you back

*Army crawling (crawling on your hands) back onto shore while your hands are hurting from the seashell gauntlet you need to pass to get to shore.

*trying to get out of tail quickly in deep water so you dont "ruin the magic" for the kids, but the waves dont help and you need 2 people to help lol

Add yours :)

Mermaid Lohgan
07-22-2012, 04:03 PM
*Army crawling (crawling on your hands) back onto shore while your hands are hurting from the seashell gauntlet you need to pass to get to shore.

*trying to get out of tail quickly in deep water so you dont "ruin the magic" for the kids, but the waves dont help and you need 2 people to help lol

^ THIS!
Oh my god. Lol!

*Cleaning the sand out from EVERYWHERE! After swimming in the ocean.
*When it says it's waterproof make-up, but really just runs down your face when the water touches your skin.
*When you are in the Lake or Ocean and swarms and I mean SWARMS of fish pass you by and scare you for that quick second.
*Bringing your heavy tail everywhere because you don't have a nice bag to set it in at the moment.
Not really a problem, but, *Sleeping in your tail because you don't want to take it off and getting leftover scale prints on your human legs.
LOL

Merman_Shawn
07-22-2012, 04:06 PM
*Explaining that I'm not a Mermaid, but a Merman to children(and sometimes adults <__<)

*Opening your mouth to breathe, just as a wave collides with your face.

*Realizing the need for a "Mertender".

*Getting sunburned everywhere, but your legs.

*Albino legs after trying to wriggle into a latex tail with baby powder.

Thalassa
07-22-2012, 04:42 PM
*When it says it's waterproof make-up, but really just runs down your face when the water touches your skin.

Yes! And along with this:

*Having to realize that "waterproof" and "pool proof" are not necessarily the same thing when it comes to makeup.

New York Mermaid
07-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Im just going to say it in a photo:
PHOTO CREDIT goes to Orcamatt, I of course have to thank my two mertenders JV and Steve in the photo who are wearing of course "Mertender Beachwear":

Mermaid Saphira
07-22-2012, 05:22 PM
when you can't get ur feet into your foot pockets above the water and you begin to think you have big feet O_o

when you collide with your merfriend under water

when you collide with your mermaid friend and surface to laugh just as a wave crashes into you

when you skin your knee on a rock trying to take off your tail in the water

Nyx
07-22-2012, 06:33 PM
when you mistake some one else for a friend from the bottom of the pool, and pop up talking and realize that they are looking at you like a weirdo.

When you become very good friends with the floor of the pool, and I mean, VERY VERY good friends X _ X

when you are swimming in calm waters when suddenly a kid does a canon ball right next or on top of you, and you get a mild heart attack.

Drowning
07-22-2012, 10:30 PM
When you become very good friends with the floor of the pool, and I mean, VERY VERY good friends X _ X

I know the feeling ;-) The pool bottom and I are virtually inseperable!

Thalassa
07-22-2012, 10:44 PM

LOL, I have the opposite problem. I wanted to blow bubble rings, but after about 15 seconds of hard swimming I still couldn't reach the bottom...in the THREE FOOT end! ;-P I can get to the bottom now, but only after swimming hard.

Mermaid Lohgan
07-23-2012, 01:46 AM
*When your eyes get foggy from not wearing goggles for an extended amount of time in the pool.
*When water gets up your nose from doing a trick and you buckle over the side of the pool in agony.
*Those moments when you think your butt crack is showing.
*When you swallow pool or ocean water and then later burp it up unknowingly.
*When you don't wear goggles and you look like a red-eyed crack addict when you get out of the pool/ocean.

Drowning
07-23-2012, 02:00 AM
LOL, I have the opposite problem. I wanted to blow bubble rings, but after about 15 seconds of hard swimming I still couldn't reach the bottom...in the THREE FOOT end! ;-P I can get to the bottom now, but only after swimming hard.

You might try exhaling much of your held breath on the way to the bottom to decrease bouyancy. Or ask a helpful merman to pin you to the bottom ;-)

Little_Orca
07-23-2012, 02:05 AM
My biggest mer problem... feeling like a whale once I see all the pictures of me taken.... That and mean little nippy copepods nomming on you while taking said pictures.

New York Mermaid
07-23-2012, 02:54 AM
you are not a whale, your fine, i have weight issues myself, mine is due to thyroids but im working on getting on a healthy journey for myself . I dont care if im a bit overweight i know im beautiful and people can see it,

merlissa your beautiful as well, forget what everyone else says about you (if they say anything) just smile because you are beautiful and unique, soon enough youll have your dream tail and im here for you girl..

Thalassa
07-23-2012, 09:19 AM
You might try exhaling much of your held breath on the way to the bottom to decrease bouyancy. Or ask a helpful merman to pin you to the bottom ;-)

OMG I wish I had a merman handy! ;-) I've finally gotten the hang of exhaling underwater (for the longest time my body wouldn't exhale, like, "WHAT?! We're underwater an you want me to let go of some of this oxygen?!") except for doing flips which doesn't seem to work. That's how I was finally able to touch bottom. But it still takes hard swimming and I start to float immediately after. I've got a weight belt coming to hopefully help.

....But gosh, would I lI've a merman. ;-)

Drowning
07-23-2012, 09:28 AM
OMG I wish I had a merman handy! ;-) I've finally gotten the hang of exhaling underwater (for the longest time my body wouldn't exhale, like, "WHAT?! We're underwater an you want me to let go of some of this oxygen?!") except for doing flips which doesn't seem to work. That's how I was finally able to touch bottom. But it still takes hard swimming and I start to float immediately after. I've got a weight belt coming to hopefully help.

....But gosh, would I lI've a merman. ;-)

Thalassa, this merman is very handy at helping anyone get comfortable underwater. It's playful, and bubbly, and a lot of fun. Before you know it, you'll be holding your breath underwater for over a minute! BTW, what sort of weight are you getting? Does it have a quick release..?

Just remind me to let you up for air. Sometimes a merman can get carried away. It's so much fun having a mermaid bubble for you ;-)

And this merman would love to help you...

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
LOL! This is almost more awkward than funny.
Almost.

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Agreed! Lanai and Merlissa are BEAUTIFUL mers. I wouldn't change either of you girls for anything in the Sea or out of it. <3

Mermaid Fenicia
07-23-2012, 11:27 AM
having (mostly) grown-ups (even my partner) telling me that I'm to fat to be a mermaid :(

Lyna
07-23-2012, 11:52 AM
wow this thread really took off by the time i got to come check it out!
only thoughts i have:
*sunscreening everything EXCEpt your face because someone offers you a new tail to play with and now my face is like a ceramic mask.
*charlie horses in both calves every time i attampted to flip my fluke out of the water.
*picking sand out of your hands the next day from climbing around the shore
*scuffing your knees in human legs when practising back flips over waves.

Nyx
07-23-2012, 12:06 PM
*When you swallow pool or ocean water and then later burp it up unknowingly.

I thought I was the only one XD

Hahahahaa XD

New York Mermaid
07-23-2012, 01:20 PM
*charlie horses in both calves every time i attampted to flip my fluke out of the water. .

I believe Merman shawn had the same issue as well..lol

Merman_Shawn
07-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I believe Merman shawn had the same issue as well..lol

I was getting the Charlie-horses in my calfs when I would come back to shore after doing something strenuous out in the open water. Most notably, when that mom put her terrified child in all of our laps lol

Thalassa
07-23-2012, 01:37 PM
*Feeling like you should wear a sign that says: "MERMAID IS NOT A FLOTATION DEVICE."

Drowning
07-23-2012, 01:45 PM
*Feeling like you should wear a sign that says: "MERMAID IS NOT A FLOTATION DEVICE."

Of course she isn't! It's so much more fun to help mermaids sink ;)

New York Mermaid
07-23-2012, 01:47 PM
I was getting the Charlie-horses in my calfs when I would come back to shore after doing something strenuous out in the open water. Most notably, when that mom put her terrified child in all of our laps lol

lol posing for photos is fun and incredibly unpredictable, so much going on.. but lol good thing we spent a nice long time resting on the shallows.. though i felt so wierd walking on land after all that swimming..

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 02:55 PM
having (mostly) grown-ups (even my partner) telling me that I'm to fat to be a mermaid :( HORRIBLY RUDE! I'd find another partner. :mad: It just drives me batty when people put others down.
I bet you're just lovely as a mermaid.

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
I used to despise this one;
*coming up out of the water with boogers all over your face.
hasn't happened to me for a while though.

Thalassa
07-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Happened to me today:

*Focusing so much on trying to be graceful in the water that you forget where the bottom of the pool is and run into it face-first. Then doing the same thing again, with the pool wall. XP

Merman Dan
07-23-2012, 05:47 PM
having (mostly) grown-ups (even my partner) telling me that I'm to fat to be a mermaid :(

I hope you mentioned what cold water does to parts of his anatomy...

Mermaid Fenicia
07-24-2012, 03:53 AM
HORRIBLY RUDE! I'd find another partner. :mad: It just drives me batty when people put others down.
I bet you're just lovely as a mermaid.
My partner likes that I swim and do things like that, but he doesn't likes that I'm a mermaid in public or on TV.

Bellasea
07-25-2012, 07:21 PM
^^ Which he should love because being a mermaid is a part of you! And you are amazing!

*The horrible tan line you start to develope after a summer of swimming in you tail.

Mermaid Azira
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
When some kid swims way faster then you in your tail

Lyna
07-26-2012, 11:24 AM

i started a thread looking for tips to prevent these little bas%^&s. ouch.

joeve09
07-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Im just going to say it in a photo:
PHOTO CREDIT goes to Orcamatt, I of course have to thank my two mertenders JV and Steve in the photo who are wearing of course "Mertender Beachwear":
wow!nice picture.

Lyna
07-30-2012, 04:53 PM
has anyone yet mentioned....being swarmed by people asking questions when you just want to be alone enjoying the swim? i'm not here for your amusement buddy, i'm here to connect with the water and be free.

Thalassa
07-30-2012, 05:04 PM
LOL, I'm actually grateful for that, Lyna. XD Probably because I'm lazy and talking to people gives me an excuse to rest on the side of the pool rather than treading water or making myself swim. XD

*Wanting to be in the water, but being so tired you can barely move through the water.
*Getting out of the water and feeling so unbearable heavy!

spottedcatfish
07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
So I swam for the first time in my new fabric tail that I had just finished making. When started swimming in a strong dolphin kicking motion, the tail slid off! It was at a Mer-meet at one of the bay's here in San Diego, so I was also dealing with a current too. At least I know now what I need to do. :)

Mermaid Celissa
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM
When you have been searching for this thread for half an hour but you forgot what the problem was in the first place... ._.

Lyna
08-09-2012, 02:43 PM
having to carefully book tattoos because you can't swim while healing. ugh..

Mermaid Fenicia
08-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Not finding my jewels for a photoshoot tomorrow evening as mermaid Misty :(

Mermaid Lei Loni
08-09-2012, 05:01 PM
having to carefully book tattoos because you can't swim while healing. ugh..

I am so in that boat right now! I just had one done on Monday, and I'm DYING to get back in the water. Although my tattoo artist said I could wrap it and seal it with waterproof medical tape, or use the bandage stuff burn victims use after about a week. I will probably try that, because being out of the water makes me grumpy.

On that note, that's my biggest problem. Feeling like a "fish out of water" everywhere I go.

Little_Orca
08-11-2012, 05:30 PM
I want to second the whole getting out of the tail asap and in a location where you wont be seen in order to not spoil the magic, but the thing that bothers me the most are people who want to ruin it for you. Not only are there online trolls, but children ages 8 and up tend to want to tear you down as well as they navigate the beginings of making their shift into adulthood, and some stupid people who 1) dont know how well sound travels over water and lets me hear tbem, 2) are already drinking and boating, and 3) shout out for me to show them my mermaid (edited for the sake of the forum) upper lady bits (was not sure if the proper anatomy term was ok on here.)

New York Mermaid
08-11-2012, 05:41 PM
LOL "hey Mermaid show us your seashells"

"Yeah ill show them to you" - **grabs some seashells from sea floor**, "see them, their awesome, great now leave me alone" *flips tail and dives*

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
08-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Mermaid Lanai, I'd suggest grabbing something else shell-like and reminding them that if they get close enough to check out yours, they put you within reach for THEIRS. :)