PDA

View Full Version : Monofin.

Loralei
07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
I was told recently that the competitor finish monofin.. after its cut to fit the tail isn't as aerodynamic then using the Wave. Is this true? I thought the competitor was the best.

Winged Mermaid
07-23-2012, 02:06 PM
I personally don't see how that could be true, but you'd have to ask someone who has swam with both a wave and a cut competitor. I've swam with both a wave and a competitor in the same swim session, and though both were uncut, the difference between the two is like day and night. It's not as much about the shape as it's about the material. The stiffer the material, the more propulsion it has. Fiberglass is very stiff and the snap to it as it waves through the water speeds you along very quickly (I had to hold my bottoms up cause they kept trying to come off!). The wave is made of a thin and very bendy plastic like material. It can propel you, but nothing like a fiberglass fin will. However the competitor IS much harder to do things like turns, twists, and flips in, because the blade is not bendy and is unforgiving to the water. I tried to do a turn and twist with one and my body did but the fin wouldn't! I've heard that it is actually much easier to do turns/twists/flips in a cut competitor because the blade is more forgiving. Each has pros and cons, so it depends on what you are looking for.

If price is an issue, there are also fiberglass monofins cheaper and better than the Finis competitor- check the sticky on Monofin Manufacturers.