PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in Lake Superior!!

Lyrique
07-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Yesterday I officially conquered swimming in Lake Superior as a mermaid!! This summer I've swam no less than 3-4 times a week in miscellaneous lakes around where I live with either my full tail or my merfin. I took off up north with one of my girlfriends this past weekend and was able to swim in Lake Vermillion. Heading home, we decided to detour through Superior Nat'l Forest, and drive along the coast of Lake Superior. We stopped several times, and TYPICALLY Lake Superior is FREEEEEEEZING!! There's a little walking in it up to your ankles before you feel like you've got ice blocks for feet!

Anyway, the water was actually a tolerable temperature! I threw on my suit and merfin and jumped in!! The waves are pretty rough, and I wouldn't dream of going in with a full tail from shore - it's hard enough fighting the waves from shore with feet, and a full tail would be just destroyed being scraped and slammed against unpredictable rocks. Anyway, I took my Oceanika Merfin out into the water with me and was able to get past the rough shoreline out into deeper water. I've become a pro putting on my merfin in deep water :D! So I did that, and it was AMAZING!!! The waves were crazy, wicked, awesome!!! Just having big waves to splash and swim through... there are no words! I was really careful about diving down too deep because it's impossible to see anything, and with the waves as they were, it is so unpredictable where a random huge rock could be - and the last thing I want it to have my head smashed into a rock underwater.

One thing I love to do is listen to what a lake sounds like underwater... they all sound different! Lake Superior was something I've never heard before... you can hear the rocks rolling around on the ground. It's a really.... different.... sound! Very, very interesting and really, really cool!! Had we not had to head back home, I could've stayed out there forever!! It was so much fun!!

I just got my underwater camera case last week, so I snapped a few pictures closer into shore... I was nervous, b/c of the wave size, that the strap would go over my neck and I'd lose my camera, so I only used that closer to shore and then swam out deeper w/out it.

This one is just funny... fail!

Wave a-comin'!

Lyna
07-24-2012, 12:35 AM
hmm...i totally posted on this earlier...and now it's not here. did you get it?

Ayla of Duluth
07-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Everyone's posts disappeared...that's strange...

Lyrique
07-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Oh Sorry! I actually posted this in two spots. One was in monofins, and the other was in swimming in tails. I know a lot of people stick to one particular thread that they follow, and this happened to fall under both :) Your post was made on the monofin page post.

Ayla of Duluth
07-25-2012, 11:39 PM
...@,,@ my brain...-quietly floats off to the monofin thread-