PDA

View Full Version : Oceanika Fin in Lake Superior!!

Lyrique
07-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Yesterday I officially conquered swimming in Lake Superior as a mermaid!! This summer I've swam no less than 3-4 times a week in miscellaneous lakes around where I live with either my full tail or my merfin. I took off up north with one of my girlfriends this past weekend and was able to swim in Lake Vermillion. Heading home, we decided to detour through Superior Nat'l Forest, and drive along the coast of Lake Superior. We stopped several times, and TYPICALLY Lake Superior is FREEEEEEEZING!! There's a little walking in it up to your ankles before you feel like you've got ice blocks for feet!

Anyway, the water was actually a tolerable temperature! I threw on my suit and merfin and jumped in!! The waves are pretty rough, and I wouldn't dream of going in with a full tail from shore - it's hard enough fighting the waves from shore with feet, and a full tail would be just destroyed being scraped and slammed against unpredictable rocks. Anyway, I took my Oceanika Merfin out into the water with me and was able to get past the rough shoreline out into deeper water. I've become a pro putting on my merfin in deep water :D! So I did that, and it was AMAZING!!! The waves were crazy, wicked, awesome!!! Just having big waves to splash and swim through... there are no words! I was really careful about diving down too deep because it's impossible to see anything, and with the waves as they were, it is so unpredictable where a random huge rock could be - and the last thing I want it to have my head smashed into a rock underwater.

One thing I love to do is listen to what a lake sounds like underwater... they all sound different! Lake Superior was something I've never heard before... you can hear the rocks rolling around on the ground. It's a really.... different.... sound! Very, very interesting and really, really cool!! Had we not had to head back home, I could've stayed out there forever!! It was so much fun!!

I just got my underwater camera case last week, so I snapped a few pictures closer into shore... I was nervous, b/c of the wave size, that the strap would go over my neck and I'd lose my camera, so I only used that closer to shore and then swam out deeper w/out it.

This one is just funny... fail!

Wave a-comin'!

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
TOO Fun, Lyrique!
I'm jealous, because right now my merfin won't fit on my swollen tootsies. How does it swim in a big lake with waves everywhere? Does it propel you pretty well?

Lyrique
07-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Oh that sucks about the swollen feet :(! I am sorry to hear that! Yea - it definitely propelled well! A lot of fun too!!

AniaR
07-23-2012, 02:51 PM
awesome!!!!

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Sweetness. I just love they look in the water, don't you?
I remember getting my tail in Feb. I was super excited after I watched the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IXkvS21AdE&feature=player_detailpage).

Mermaid Eutha
07-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Way cool! I love getting in the surf.........

Lyna
07-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Awesome! Love the pics. Lake Ontario has super crazy intense waves I was surprised when I finally went last week to practise in human form while awaiting my tail(s). Tail number 2 will have the Oceanika inside of it so I'm glad to hear that you like how yours functions. I was also surprised that the Atlantic near NYC was NOTHING as harsh as the lake here. And I'm so glad someone else hears things like that underwater. At the meet up I went under and was swarmed by so many sounds. It was audial overload and I popped back up to ask my mertender what the heck was going on with all the noise, and she said a boat had crossed the horizon while I was under and she was surprised I heard it that far away. I started asking the other mers there if they could hear all the commotion and they said they couldn't. They said while underwater all they hear is silence. I can't imagine what rolling rocks would sound like. I'm intrigued! Definately want to experience that.

Ayla of Duluth
07-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Where on lake superior were you? I'm on the very tip.

Lyrique
07-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Where on lake superior were you? I'm on the very tip.

Where we actually stopped to swim was on Brighton Beach Road at Kitchi Gammi Park :)

Theobromine
07-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I love that first picture, you look so happy!

Lyrique
07-25-2012, 09:45 PM
I love that first picture, you look so happy!

Well, I couldn't stop laughing because I kept getting smacked in the face with waves, so this picture is half smile and half trying to hold a smile instead of bursting out laughing!

Ayla of Duluth
07-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Where we actually stopped to swim was on Brighton Beach Road at Kitchi Gammi Park :)
ohmygoodness you were just up the road from me! I go to Brighton beach all the time! We coulda swam together.

Capt Nemo
08-04-2012, 11:03 PM
All the Great Lakes are warm this year.

JesseaP7488
08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
i loove my oceanika merfin i think it is amazing i want to buy another one but idk whre to buy them i got mine with a tail but i want to buy another one and make my own latex tail with it. they swim amazingly.