PDA

View Full Version : Need to be secrure

LittleAmy
07-25-2012, 08:21 AM
When I was little, I had otitis several times because I didn't stop putting my head under water (in the sea).

Since I triggered kind of phobia that blocks me to put my head under water.

I'm so scrared to have another otitis again or crack my eardrum (ok, it seems silly).

Can you reassure me about this?
Do you have any worries on that side? If so at what frequency and how you deal with it?

It's a little bit stupid a mermaid who is afraid to put your head under water ... :$

Thanks for your help ^^

MODERATOR NOTE: Autites is french for otitis, or an ear infection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otitis).

Mermaid Saphira
07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Your not stupid because your a mermaid afraid to put her head underwater! I don't like the feeling either..it just sounds weird being under water to me O_o

Ayla of Duluth
07-25-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure what an autite is, but maybe one way to feel secure us to put on a mask that covers your eyes and nose, and put some ear plugs in to keep the water out of all your orfices. Then sit in the shallow end of a pool and slowly practice putting your head under water. Hopefully the big mask and ear plugs will help you feel secure enough to where you can work with your phobia.

Keep a towel and some Q-Tips nearby incase you get water in your nose or ears. You can just clear it out. Water in the ears is the least problematic for a lot of people, so maybe slowly wean yourself off the earplugs under water. But don't go deeper than a foot or two under if you're afraid of damaging your eardrums.

malinghi
07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't know what causes ear infections, but I've never gotten one before. If you got them multiple times then I imagine there might be a reason. Maybe little kids are more likely to get infections, or maybe your ears might be more susceptible to them. Have you asked a doctor about it?

Mermaid Star
07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Also ear infections happen more in water that isn't kept clean. If the water is kept sanitized for the most part, you should be ok. You can get silicone ear plugs that mold to your ears in the swimming section of your local sports equipment store usually. You can try those if you are worried. I used them when I was worried about pressure pushing against my ear drum. Come to find out, that I didn't need them and that I was able to handle more pressure than I could when I was younger (I busted my eardrum as well when I was little with a q-tip so I understand your fear). Look into what causes ear infections, how to prevent and treat them and you will know what to do in the case that you get one. Once you have a plan, I am sure some of the anxiety will go away. Ear infections are not fun but they aren't as painful as we remember them to be from childhood. Take care of your self and good luck

LittleAmy
07-26-2012, 05:39 AM
I don't know what causes ear infections, but I've never gotten one before. If you got them multiple times then I imagine there might be a reason. Maybe little kids are more likely to get infections, or maybe your ears might be more susceptible to them. Have you asked a doctor about it?

Yes I ask and the doctor told me all is normal and this fear is in my head.
I don't know if it because the cold water, the salt or a micro rip on my eardrum but it's scare me a lot :s

LittleAmy
07-26-2012, 05:41 AM
Also ear infections happen more in water that isn't kept clean. If the water is kept sanitized for the most part, you should be ok. You can get silicone ear plugs that mold to your ears in the swimming section of your local sports equipment store usually. You can try those if you are worried. I used them when I was worried about pressure pushing against my ear drum. Come to find out, that I didn't need them and that I was able to handle more pressure than I could when I was younger (I busted my eardrum as well when I was little with a q-tip so I understand your fear). Look into what causes ear infections, how to prevent and treat them and you will know what to do in the case that you get one. Once you have a plan, I am sure some of the anxiety will go away. Ear infections are not fun but they aren't as painful as we remember them to be from childhood. Take care of your self and good luck

Thank you for you sweet answer.
I'll keep that in mind ^^