PDA

View Full Version : Stretching ankle straps?

Lyna
07-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I got my oceanika merfin today, but they run largest almost a size smaller than me. :( Does anyone know a good way to stretch the ankle strap? I got into it with some normal awkwardness, but I can't imagine how difficult this is going to be once I have it inside my tail. My toes are cramped, but not overly badly...but the strap hurts my bony ankles. Boiling water? A shoe insert? Ideas?

Mermaid Arianna
07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
I was having the same problem with my finis monofin, and i found this shoe stretching method; fill a freezer bag with water and put it in the foot pocket so it fill the entire thing, with the bag sealed place the monofin and water in the freezer for a few hours, when you take it out, pull out the ice bags and the pockets should be a half to full size larger. Hope it works!

Lyna
07-26-2012, 02:19 PM
hmm....would never have thought of that. so that widens then foot pockets? i need the straps stretched....i'll totally do this too...but i have to find a freezer that would fit this thing!

Mermaid Arianna
07-26-2012, 02:29 PM
It widens the pocket and stretches the strap, just be sure you fill it the right way,
Here is the link to where i got the idea, it worked on the foot pockets of my monofin so it might work on yours. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf5mJ7aR2t8

Mermaid Eutha
07-26-2012, 10:24 PM
what size are your feet and what size did you get?

Lyna
07-26-2012, 10:31 PM
super nifty video. thanks for the share!

Lyna
07-26-2012, 10:35 PM
what size are your feet and what size did you get?

i got the oceanika in large. goes up to size 8. im a 8.5-9.

Lyna
07-28-2012, 11:15 AM
update: i tried soaking it in a tub with hot water, and adding boiling water. after it sat a hile, i put it on to try and stretch it. didn't really help. tried heating it while on with a hairdryer and pulling. i don't suggest it. it hurt my fingers more than the warmth, but still. was told an awesome ice trick, but my oceanika won't fit in my freezer.
so: i ordered a set of shoe stretchers and am borrowing a heat gun from a friend of mine. i plan to heat the straps and gradually crank the stretcher open...evenly on each side...thats why i bought 2, then maybe leave it in my back seat to bake.

Lyna
08-03-2012, 12:53 PM
still using a heat gun on it with shoe stretchers inside. been busy and tired. hopefully ill know by tonight if it worked. then i may have to just cut them off and hope fot the best.

Lyna
08-05-2012, 01:59 PM
just wanted to share how i did this because i had such amazing success altering my Oceanika this way.
first pic, is the foot stretchers i bought. they were cheap, about 25$ for the set on amazon. one heel piece is cracked, i'm working on exchanging them. you dont have to own a set, but i thought having both was best to make sure they were being stretched evenly both in degree and speed. and i bought mine, so that i can restretch or store my fin with them inside, only because i didnt know what type of rubbers in the fin might try to revert back to it's original shape. then you put them inside and crank the circular dial piece. i would stretch an inch at a time and then treat the straps on the 2 outside edges for about 2 minutes each, then the strip down the middle for maybe 5 minutes, and let it sit outside in the heat for a couple hours. when the straps got really taught i switched to stretching a half inch at a time. it took maybe a day total and the fin is completely comfortable now!