PDA

View Full Version : How to cut a monofin

Mermaid Saphira
07-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't know if this is where this thread belongs, if not please feel free to move it!! :)

Here is a quick tutorial of how to cut a monofin...

Materials needed: a monofin, poster board (or pattern paper), a pencil, scissors, a pair of tin snips and a sheet of sand paper

Step 1: Begin by tracing your un-cut monofin onto the posterboard (or pattern paper) using a pencil.
Step 2: Next, fold the poster board (or pattern paper) in haft so there is a crease right down the middle of the monofin pattern.
Step 3: Trace on ONE SIDE of the folded pattern haft the shape or design you want your fin to have. Be sure you know what you want.
A few examples include a cresent shaped fluke or a dolphin shaped fluke like the one we are doing!
Step 4: Cut the folded pattern on the haft you drew your design. Once it is cut, un fold the pattern and take a look. Are you happy with the design?
Step 5: Now, lay your monofin on a flat surface and lay the pattern on top.
4829 4830
Step 6: Using the clear tape, tape down the pattern to the monofin so it does not wiggle around while you cut.
Step 7: It's time to begin cutting!! Take your tin snips and carefully cut along the pattern like shown in the video...

http://youtu.be/LKK800rJhK0
Step 8: Now that your monofin is cut, peel away the pattern paper and take a look!
Step 9: Your monofin will look a little scruffy, this is why we are going to clean it up with sand paper. Simply rub the rough edges with the sheet of sand paper until you get a cleaner looking cut like in the video below...

http://youtu.be/W6UrihnNgCw
Step 10: Your done cutting your monofin! Good job! :yay:

Winged Mermaid
07-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Bad news :( You can't leave it notched like that, or the fin could rip. If you do so with one that's fiberglass it will crack. It's happened to other people a few times. When you cut a monofin you need to round out any sharp indents (like the one in the middle). If you're finding this out too late, you can drill a hole at the apex of the crack and it will stop it from getting worse.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/winged_mermaid/monofincut.jpg
________ Correct ____________ Incorrect _____

MerAnthony
07-26-2012, 10:31 PM
If you cut a monofin like a wave or a rapid will it hurt the performance of the monofin any?

Mermaid Saphira
07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Vallee33: I have never swam in an uncut monofin before, I'm sorry I can't help u more.

Winged Mermaid: My monofin, I ordered from the 2 tails, has a notch exactly like that and it's never ripped before..I will try to fix it I guess but it is really hard to cut

MerAnthony
07-27-2012, 02:30 PM
The reason I ask is I'm getting my new tail from Mermagica in a few days in the mail an it comes with a new Finis rapid monofin . So jsut tring to figure out if it would hurt it if I cut it.

Mermaid Saphira
07-28-2012, 10:39 AM
well i hope u can find someone to help u out ;)

Mermaid Saphira
07-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Bad news :( You can't leave it notched like that, or the fin could rip. If you do so with one that's fiberglass it will crack. It's happened to other people a few times. When you cut a monofin you need to round out any sharp indents (like the one in the middle). If you're finding this out too late, you can drill a hole at the apex of the crack and it will stop it from getting worse.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/winged_mermaid/monofincut.jpg
________ Correct ____________ Incorrect _____

turns out the notch isn't even there. it is really just an impression left from the tin snips as they r sharper towards the inside. I think we will b ok but I will still try and fix it ;)

Merman_Shawn
08-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Going to try to cut my Rapid this week. This was very helpful. Thanks ladies!

Mermaid Saphira
08-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Going to try to cut my Rapid this week. This was very helpful. Thanks ladies!

daaawww Thanks :D Good luck and be carfeul ;)

Merman_Shawn
08-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Cutting is accomplished!

Mermaid Saphira
08-21-2012, 04:58 PM
^ looks FIN-tastic Shawn ;)

Merman_Shawn
08-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Thank you Saphira!

LindseyLu
09-13-2012, 06:44 PM
I cut these babies yesterday and am taking them to the pool in an hour for a test swim! :) Luckily I have access to all kinds of woodworking equipment so the band saw cut throuh these like butter! :) Yay! :) Am curious if their performance will be the as good though, the full monofin was awesome so I hope this doesn't effect it too much!? I'll let y'all know after the test swim!

Mermaid Saphira
09-13-2012, 06:50 PM
:jawdrop: I AM ON LOVE WITH THE SHAPE *gropes around in wallet to buy new monofin* Good luck!

Winged Mermaid
09-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Lookin' good LindseyLu (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?28-LindseyLu)!

LindseyLu
09-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks Saphira & Winged Mermaid!

So we tested em out yesterday and the verdict is in! They're not as powerful, but I still got plenty of propulsion! The best part is the way they move now! Since the reinforcement from the middle/bottom has been removed, the monofin bends differently. Instead of it flowing in its standard undulating movement (like a wave), it bends a bit more, sort of like wings! Looks much more fishy! They looked AWESOME!!! I took some video and will post after I figure out how to convert it out of a quicktime format.

I can see how the monofins can crack if not cut right. Because of all the bending and flapping, I could feel a big difference in the movement and can see how they could snap if not cut properly! So happy we have this forum to share important information like cutting monofins. I would have done a deep V cut if I didn't know any better! Love me some Mernetwork! ;)

Mermaid Saphira
09-14-2012, 02:58 PM
^ YAY! They made i through :) Thy r so super beautiful. I like the idea of them flowing like wings! <3 please post the video soon!!

FreshWaterMermaid
09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Just like winged mermaid said definitely make sure that the cuts you make are rounded. I don't know how absolutely critical that is for finis monofin like the tempo, wave, or rapid, but DEFINITELY important for a finis competitor monofin or other fiberglass blade type fin.
And when I cut my competitor I used a dremel. Worked perfectly :)

Thanks for the tutorial! And good input from everyone!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

LindseyLu
09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Here it is - not the greatest video, but shows how the cut monofin moves in the water! :)
http://youtu.be/krC2m-fLE30

Mermaid Saphira
09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
That looks fintastic! I have seriously got to get a new monofin Lol! It looks like a pair of angel wings <3

Delphine
01-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Hey, all. I have the same type of monofin (Wave) and am debating on either to cut it or not. As an art student, I have access to both a hand saw and a band-saw through school. Phew! I'm not sure if I should cut it, yet. Cutting the Wave means less propulsion and fluke, though perhaps more fluidity within the fluke I'm making. Leaving my monofin as is, means a larger & heavier fluke. Hm..

starlite
04-24-2013, 09:32 AM
What dod i have to use to cut a fiberglass monofin please ?

thanks girls

The Harlem Mermaid
12-23-2013, 01:59 PM
thank you mermaids, im cutting mine's today very helpful

Appellativo
01-03-2015, 10:15 PM
This thread was helpful. I cut my Rapid today, cant wait to test swim!! (Lets see if I can figure out how to post a pic...)

emm_renn
06-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Do you think the rapid would work for me if I have about 7 1/2 foot size? My toes seem to be on the wider side too. I really like the bigger size of the rapid compared to the wave.

MerQueen Nerissa
06-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Do you think the rapid would work for me if I have about 7 1/2 foot size? My toes seem to be on the wider side too. I really like the bigger size of the rapid compared to the wave.

My eight year old brother can wear my rapid if we tighten the straps all the way. You should be able to use it just fine!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

waterlover1264
07-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Thanks I just ordered my monofin yesterday and I'm so excited to get it. Hopefully it will fit my huge feet.

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk