PDA

View Full Version : When a reporter is in a hurry...

Kitty-Madison Snel
07-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi! Sorry if my question is a bit strange, but perhaps somebody can help me.

As a professional mermaid companies and organizations can book me for events, demonstrations and promotions. My price is based for each hour, included transport / travelling, safetydivers if necessary and in some cases hiring a pool.

But what in case of television? In history I did it for free, cause for me it was a perfect way to become widely known. Sometimes they pay a bit for travelling. Last week a reporter contacted me for an interview, wich will used in a Dutch television program. But after many years a lot of people know my story about mermaiding - so in the first place she wants to be at one of my own events. For her unfortunately my events will be start halfway august (cause maintainance for my equipment), a bit too late for her.

She asked me to make hurry to repair my mermaid tails for a shoot next week in a pool nearby Amsterdam. I feel a bit uncomfortable about it. Mermaiding is my life and my work, but what in case if a reporter is in a hurry? Reading her e-mails I feel that she expect I do it for free again.

What should you do in my case?

Mermaid Cascada
07-27-2012, 10:14 AM
It kinda seems shes taking advantage of you... Maybe you should tell her you don't feel comfortable with the rush and you need to take your time (If your repairing your equipment you need to go slow and make sure it is repaired properly).

I hope it all works out :D

Mermaid Annariea
07-27-2012, 03:51 PM
i agree with kimmie.
and you cant always do it for free. even if its just a small amount of money, she shouldnt expect you to always do it for 100% free. she could pay you for travel, perhaps extra to help with future repairs of your tail.
mermaiding is not cheap. and it shouldnt be expected to be done for free all the time.
doing some things for free is a great way to promote yourself, as well as mermaiding in general, but sometimes things are just too tight to be able to go through it for free.

good luck (:

Kitty-Madison Snel
08-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Hi, Brianna and kimmie,

In the meantime I decided to cancel the interview. For me free publicity is good, but I need more time to fix my mixed material tail. There always come a new chance.

:-)