PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Winter Swim Meet Up!

Winged Mermaid
07-31-2012, 02:32 AM
I was going to wait to post about this, but I'm already SO excited about it!!

I'd like to have a swimming/wet meet up in the middle of winter, when I know we'll all be itching to go swimming! There is a pool on base in Silverdale 10 minutes from my place that has a huge pool. It can be rented out for $50 an hour for up to 25 swimmers! It has lap lanes, a rec swimming area with a slide, and a diving pool that's 13 ft deep! We could probably even take the lap lane dividers down and just have one huge main pool (I believe it's 3-6 ft from one end of the pool to the other), and you can swim under the divider to the diving pool to get to it- so no need to get out of tail to get to the deepest part.

So this obviously depends on if enough people are interested to split the cost. I'd like 2-3 hours of swim time if possible. Payment would be due from everyone before the reservation is made. There are locker rooms and showers to get cleaned up after of course.

After you guys are welcome at my apartment for hang out time! We can order in or go out and get some food, depending on how much money people are comfortable spending for this whole thing (I know driving up can be expensive).

So yeah! First step first, what month would be good? I'm thinking either November or February. December tends to be crazy busy for most, and Jan I'm hoping to be able to visit my family back home in WV. Give me your input!

Mermaid Eutha
07-31-2012, 02:36 AM
I think it is a great idea!!!

Princess Kae-Leah
07-31-2012, 03:09 AM
How much chlorine is in this pool? I am very sensitive to the smell of chlorine. If it's heavily chlorinated, I'll opt out. Is it a good pool for water-walking or leg lifts?

Winged Mermaid
07-31-2012, 03:41 AM
As chlorinated as any other pool, not overly so in my opinion. You can smell it as you go in, after all it's an indoor pool so the smell lingers. As far as water walking, the whole far left side of the pool is about 3-4 ft deep.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-31-2012, 03:44 AM
As chlorinated as any other pool? Sigh, that doesn't sound good. Most public pools are pretty heavily so in my opinion. I probably won't attend.

Raayvhen
07-31-2012, 11:48 AM
So its on base? I have to get registered for school first so I can go renew my mil ID.

Winged Mermaid
07-31-2012, 05:10 PM
It is on base, but as long as you have some kind of ID (a state ID card, drivers license, ect) and the person driving the car on has military ID and stickers for the car, then they said it won't be a problem. Depending on how many people are coming and how many people have those (I don't think anyone else coming does though) we may have to make a few trips to get everyone on base. We can always have the people who won't fit in one approved car drive up in one or two other vehicles. Then they can park in a nearby lot (like a gas station or fast food place or something) and we can drive the approved car back and forth till everyone is on. That way the "ferrying" process will be as short as possible. A little complicated yes, but well worth it for the pool!

Raayvhen
07-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Oh, I know. I was meaning if I would need to drive a second vehicle. I can fit 4 besides myself.

Winged Mermaid
07-31-2012, 06:52 PM
If you have ID and military stickers on your vehicle that would be great! :)

Raayvhen
07-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Yep! My dad is retired so I've got dependent status. I do have to enroll in school and renew my id on my birthday though since I'm turning 21.

Maple
08-02-2012, 12:49 AM
All over this like a dirty shirt.

DIRTY.
SHIRT.

Raayvhen
08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I totally read that wrong.

Maple
08-02-2012, 08:55 PM
I totally read that wrong.

Hahahah! :lol:

Mermaid Eutha
08-05-2012, 12:13 AM
LOL

FreshWaterMermaid
09-19-2012, 02:56 AM
I would sooo love this!
I haven't been in deep water all year! :(
I'll have to see if I can afford and make it.
Really sucks everyone isn't closer lol
Looks like a 3hr drive for me :/
Definitely want to go though!!! ^_^

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Moongazer
09-19-2012, 02:08 PM
I would love to come out to this! Does it matter if I'm from Canada? Also, how long of a drive would it be from the boarder (Vancouver)? I would be so excited to meet up with everyone!

Morticia Mermaid
09-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm totally up for it!

Winged Mermaid
09-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I would love to come out to this! Does it matter if I'm from Canada? Also, how long of a drive would it be from the boarder (Vancouver)? I would be so excited to meet up with everyone!

Nope! In fact you may be able to car pool with other Canadian mers, as they tend to do for trips down here :) Google maps says a little over 4 hours.

Morticia Mermaid
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Where exactly is the swim meet up?

Moongazer
09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
This sounds so fun then! I'm super excited!

Winged Mermaid
09-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Where exactly is the swim meet up?

Bangor Base in Silverdale

Morticia Mermaid
09-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Awesome. When were you looking at having it?

FreshWaterMermaid
09-19-2012, 06:33 PM
So yeah! First step first, what month would be good? I'm thinking either November or February. December tends to be crazy busy for most, and Jan I'm hoping to be able to visit my family back home in WV. Give me your input!

Looks like around winter time is when wingéd mermaid is planning it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Morticia Mermaid
09-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Maybe mid to late November :)

Winged Mermaid
09-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Well I was asking what would be best for everyone since winter can be crazy between all the holidays.

Morticia Mermaid
09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
^^ I'm good with whenever. I just gotta know when so I can get time off work

Moongazer
09-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Me too. Either works for me, though January might be your best bet. Not much happens in Jan.

Seamist
09-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Hello there merfolk! I am brand new, joined your group just yesterday. I live in Tacoma so looks like the North Pacific is the pod to join in my area :) Starting work on my tail as a way to get over the post Dragon*Con blues I find myself in. I find all of your tips and tricks extremely helpful--not strong with a sewing machine. I may be interested in joining if I can get it done in time.

Mermaid Margarete
09-29-2012, 10:14 PM
This sounds awesome! I'll try my best to be there (tho it will be a bit of a drive from the Puyallup area). I'll have my monofin by then, but possibly not my full tail.

Oceana
11-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Girl, you know I'm totally down for this!