PDA

View Full Version : What you would like to achive/accomplish as a professional mermaid

Mermaid Saphira
07-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Many professional mermaids swim for a cause. Sometimes it's for the whales or the enviornment in general, other times it's for education or simply giving children the happiness of seeing a mermaid. What would you/do you mermaid for? What are trying o would like to try and accomplish through mermaiding? Why?

I will start...
Through mermaiding, I would like to encourage children to read by making apperances at my local libraries because so many children today hate reading, even kids in the 8th grade! Reading is part of our everyday lives and it gives us a good education that will help us in our future. I even plan on teaching kids about how they can help save our bay. Lastly, I would also like to visit sick children in the hospital and give them a day where they can forget that anything is wrong with them. This one hits close to home as I was often sick as a child myself and was in and out of the hospital for 8 years. Why do you mermaid?

Rain
07-31-2012, 06:37 PM
I do it because I love water, and being in the water is a feeling that I enjoy. That's all.

Mermaid Saphira
12-26-2012, 12:51 PM
What does everymer else swim for? This thread obviously didn't get many responses..... T_T

Mermaid Harmony
01-07-2013, 01:01 AM
This is a good thread, I like it, it should be more known. I swim because I like how it feels, and I love working with children, and doing that as a mermaid brings a new dimension to the imaginations that I'm able to spark and dreams I can encourage. That and I've always wanted to be a mermaid, so it feels like I'm doing what I'm supposed to.

AniaR
01-07-2013, 01:28 AM
I have set myself a few goals, I'm surprised by how many I met with some help. So I set myself new goals this year.

In the future I'd like to publish my book about mermaiding

I'd like to have a children's show, I know Linden has one but I've been trying to do it for a long time and the second she first posted Mermaid Minute I messaged her right away to tell her my idea so she wouldn't feel like I was copying! Now that I've seen her whole series I know what I have planned is very different, plus it would air on local tv. There's a big possibility this may happen this year as I've suddenly found the right network and contacts :) I'd use my education to develop curriculum with local connections to present, also with a focus on literacy :)

I would like to do a photo shoot in a tank sometime.

I am hoping to travel to Hawaii so I can really swim in the ocean, the Atlantic ocean where I live is always cold. Even in the dead of summer. I'd like to swim in my tail in hawaii where it's warm, and maybe meet Kariel and other mers!

I think it's really important for people to make goals, keep track, and push themselves to try and make progress on them weekly- even if they aren't goals they think will ever happen. I put a big chunk of it in my book. This past year (2012) I got on the cover of two papers, got to be in a music video, do a bunch of festivals and parades that I really wanted to do, and I was able to expand my business. I'd break those big goals down into mini goals, pretend I was doing it for a school assignment or something so every day I could do something little that might help me reach those goals. I'm really shocked with all I did last year, and I hope if I use the same process and just keep being stubborn that 2013 will be filled with great things too!

Great thread idea

TheSolitarySiren
01-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Many professional mermaids swim for a cause. Sometimes it's for the whales or the environment in general, other times it's for education or simply giving children the happiness of seeing a mermaid. What would you/do you mermaid for? What are trying o would like to try and accomplish through mermaiding? Why?

I have thought about this quite often when thinking about and starting up my mermaiding. I have thought about what I would do for others and what I would do for myself.

I've always felt meditative and spirituality properties through the water. I've always loved the way water felt, engulfed me, and used that to calm my depression and stress. Even when suicidal thoughts would occur I would simply go to the pool to 'wash' away the awful feeling and embrace the flow of the water around me. If I could, I would love to start something for the awareness and prevention of suicide and depression, by using water/swimming/mermaiding as a therapeutic attribute. Something else I would like, is to bring back the great mysteries, folklore, and myth of the creatures. Sometimes, I feel like the allure/attraction of wonder on a mermaid is lost and would greatly want to bring that fantasy back.

Some personal goals I have is to find inner peace with myself through mermaiding, travel the world, swim in all kinds of oceans, possibly with animals as well, even work in a circus show as a mermaid creature, but to mostly live my life filled with adventure and promise of that.

ButterflyVision
01-07-2013, 06:32 AM
I think I would to educate people to what's happening to our coast. When you look at a US map and see Louisiana it is actually outdated. The coast has been washed away a lot by erosion and storms and levees have contributed. I was shocked by what I learned and this was just a little while ago in school. I never knew this. Seeing the current state the water as become extremely close to the cities. I'd also like to educate on conservation. I would like to show up at the Renaissance fair in the future. In terms of starting now I'm going to volunteer at Audubon aquarium. (I need the hours for school anyway) plus it wouldn't hurt to give a magic belief to kids.

Miyu
01-10-2014, 01:58 AM
I have two causes as a mermaid.

The first is to show people how to re-use things that would otherwise be trash, recycling waste into art and useful things! For example, my first mer-top (which I'm currently putting the last touches on) is made mainly of materials that were destined for the trash. I also plan on making a mer-mat (soft, squishy, waterproof mat for when I'm in tail and need to sit on things) out of plastic shopping bags.

The second cause, which I just settled on today, is that I want to do events specifically for foster/adopt children. I was one myself, and sometimes a foster child may not have a lot to their name or a lot to be happy about, and I'd like to bring the magic of a real, live mermaid to them... Plus they can go back to school with photos of them with a real mermaid! <3

Mermaid Adriel
01-10-2014, 03:20 PM
I'd like to educate children on taking care of seas/beaches :)

Echidna
01-10-2014, 03:25 PM
^^What Raina said about goals.
If you don't have any, you'll not get anywhere most likely!

I have several, tiny for others, but huge for me.
I'm slowly building up to more.
My next goals (after getting fit again- I've begun to swim with little or no weights now! :yay:):
Traveling to a location where I can finally try out depth, first at a lake, then the ocean.

I want to establish a "different" kind of pro mermaid; less a party entertainer (yes, I know you guys make the most money :p),
and more a swimmer/freediver/environmentalist mer performer.
My "showact" would basically be like a true aquatic creature exhibit, so no waving and smiling, but long breathholds and agile swimming deep under to make the illusion perfect.

For one, that's my "thing", and secondly, I hope to raise awareness that fish and other waterdwellers are feeling, complex beings, and not something dumb that can be tortured and killed for sport because "it's just fish, not a mammal, fish don't feel anything" and other stupid bull I've heard over and over and over from sportfishers and other &%$&!.

Mermaid Oshun
01-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Caltuna would be nice if there was an aquarium or water park which could hire you for that. Good luck! I want to make a beautiful golden tail for myself, take some pictures in it, and enjoy swimming in it like you say in a lake then the ocean :D
One cause that hurts me a lot is the slaughter of dolphins in Japan

Echidna
01-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Yea, aquarium/waterpark would be fantastic.
I bet it would be quite cold in there after a while tho...brrr.

Is your new ava the tail that's gonna be yours?
It's stunning.
I love the coloration, but you'll probably make yours with even more gold colour I guess.

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
01-10-2014, 03:54 PM
My goal is first to get a tail ;)
What my goal is is let people believe in a bit of magic again. Being able to perform in a tank like Raven does on festivals, giving a bit of magic to children because they have to grow up way to fast. Give people dreams that nothing is impossible. =)

Meemerdd
01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm hoping to make some appearances at the library, my little home away from home, there and the pool. Encourage kids to read, and ppossibly read at one of the story book times in tail of course,bring out imagination.
I also want to show children that you don't have to have the same imagination as others, and you don't have to look at everything the same way as everyone around you. When I was little, I had a problem with this, when I would share what I thought, the other children considered me "demented" and "insane". (They didn't say those exact words, they just described it like that.) So I was quiet about it, didn't like to talk about a lot of things, because I didn't want to be rejected.

Mermaid Oshun
01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
no Caltuna, that is the first tail I made for Yulia but I wont ship it to her because the ankle measurement is off. It is much too small for me so it will go in the trash unless I give it to someone else who is like 5'2" I think. I am making Yulia's tail over with a revised fluke and new products I am trying so it will be 2nd generation so to speak and hopefully even better.

Echidna
01-10-2014, 04:25 PM
what, in the trash? :jawdrop: NOOOOOOO!

You can probably find a buyer for it on FB.

Jessica
01-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Golden pearl,

how much too small? My tail is about 3-5" smaller all the way around....it's so stretchy :) ankles need to be even tighter than that :)

have you considered just cutting the ankle section open, adding a small patch to widen the area, and adding an extra little fin to cover the repair?

Seatan
01-10-2014, 10:59 PM
I want to dress up in an awesome costume and be the center of attention.

So much less noble than all ye mers, but that's what I REALLY love about mermaiding! And yeah, I wanna help kids learn and all that jazz, but as a teacher I do that every single day for a living! I don't need mermaiding to get that--but I need it to shine bright and have fun pretending to be something i am not just for the heck of it!

angelstarfish
01-18-2014, 07:39 PM
“I swim for laughter,
I swim for tears,
I swim for madness,
I swim for fears,
I swim for hopes,
I swim for screams,
I am a mermaid,
I create the dreams.”

“You were born wild. Never let them tame you." -Martha Graham

Friend me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/angel.starfish.56?fref=ts
Follow me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermaid-Angel-Starfish/230199420458609?ref=hl
Watch me on YouTube!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmsZ4f6nEFN3FTTdGW78e0Q
Follow me on Tumblr!!!
http://mermaid-angel-starfish.tumblr.com/
Check out my site!!!
http://mermaidangelstarfish.wix.com/angel-starfish
Follow me on Twitter!!!
@sssmermaid

“Children of the sea,
Lie down your heads to sleep
As the maidens of the sea
Carry you down to the deep…”

~Mermaid Lullaby

SIF
01-18-2014, 09:45 PM
no Caltuna, that is the first tail I made for Yulia but I wont ship it to her because the ankle measurement is off. It is much too small for me so it will go in the trash unless I give it to someone else who is like 5'2" I think. I am making Yulia's tail over with a revised fluke and new products I am trying so it will be 2nd generation so to speak and hopefully even better.

Depending on the ankle measurements and the price you'd ask for it, I could take the tail.:confused: I have tiny ankles...(Ice skater. :$Guilty as charged...)

SIF
01-18-2014, 09:51 PM
I mermaid to make the difference. I used to work Beach Clean-up days with SOLV and with the Oregon Zoo and Aquariums and I remember seeing that little light spark in children's eyes. I want to continue cleaning up our beaches one kid at a time. Each child I talked to as a mermaid made a difference. If not in the child themselves picking up trash, than in them and their parents thinking about the damage humans' waste has caused to the planet. I believe the best audience is a dumbfounded audience, and that when a person is flabberghasted they are open to shock and their ears are able to hear things they otherwise would never listen to. I remember sitting on the shores, teaching kids on beach cleanup day and seeing them run up the beach picking up as much trash as they can hold and rushing to their parents' bags.... I remember swimming with the fish and smiling at people. Talking to kids at the Zoo tidepools and seeing a change in their eyes when I told them why I was asking them not to touch the creatures... It's the most remarkable sensation, realization even, when you realize that you're making a difference. That you're getting people, sometimes 4 times your age, to be respectful and patient and mindful of what they are doing and do in the future.
One thing I really uphold is not trauling, finning sharks(all ecosystems need predators...) polluting and over-fishing the oceans. One thing I never was allowed to do as a youngin' was swim in the shark tank. I remember sitting and watching them and knowing they don't habitually attack people and hearing people say we're lucky they're in there and not out here with us to their kids and it made me so sad. That's one thing i look forward to doing once i have a tail....
I'm nervous, but I've wanted to do it and someone needs to show they're not "vicious killers"

Thalassa
01-18-2014, 10:52 PM
I want to be able to swim across my local pool and back without stopping, but that's a short term goal.

My mer-dream would be to be able to do this full time, and make enough money to be able to travel to various children's hospitals and shelters. I feel like these kids need a little magic in their life and I'd love to make their days better…maybe take their mind off of what they're going through. I want to be able to spend my time making kids smile.

MermanZen
01-19-2014, 08:58 AM
When I get my tail finished and go to the future Merfests and gatherings I want to help raise awareness to keeping the oceans clean and protection of native dolphin species that are being captured and killed, for shows and for selling on the black market
I also want to swim with a partner Mer, I haven't ask yet but I really think a merman and Mermaid can make a good difference together.
while working I want to help the Make a Wish foundation for kids who have been very ill and makes a wish to meet a Mer.
I also want to help lift the spirits of abused and orphaned children so that maybe we can give them their hope that many have lost.

We all have our reasons for becoming M and if I were to make this more than a hobby this is what I would share with my passion, THANK YOU