PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene/Silicone scales....

MermaidFawkes
07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
First of all, HI EVERYONE!!!!!

I'm Mermaid Fawkes, to those of you who know me. Good to see you again...talk to you...type to you...whatever, you know what i mean:p.

To those of you who don't...HI I'M FAWKES AND I LIKE WAFFLES AND SHINY THINGS!:lol: ALOHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Ok, so I'm pretty sure someone has asked these questions before, but I'm a complete n00b to message boards, so i can't figure out how to search for them... so here goes.

I have a neoprene fin, painted already, I need to figure out HOW to get the silicone on the neoprene, mermaid parties status, (its whatever kind of silicone Moonflower uses, comes in a culking tube i think)
Then create the illusion of scales into the silicone. (press something into it? what is a good thing to use? ect?) I am not a huge fan of mermaid parties small scales, (they look lovely, its just personal preferance) I'd like something a little larger then a quarter.
Also, what's the best way to do this to a fin that is already sewn together (does that even matter?)
And once the silicone is on the neoprene, about how much stretch will I lose? Just after painting it I have noticed a considerable amount of stretch has been lost to the neoprene.

...i have more questions but these are good for right now

@Merman Jesse, & Sirena Solaris, its the same blue one that Moonflower whipped together for me that I wore at Rainbow Spring, wait till you see it! What a difference paint makes, eh? Let me know if you guys want progress pics.

Thank you everyone!

~Fawkes

Blondie
07-31-2012, 07:04 PM
1. Mermaidparties uses AlexPlus Latex. But you can get silicone in caulk too. But there was something I read that it doesn't really work as well. Smooth-on works very well too from what I hear and it comes in jugs. Dragonskin is the ultimate choice for a silicone tail. It's probably the most expensive though. You can get AlexPlus at Home Depot or Lowes or probably even Walmart.

2. You can take anything really and make an impression on silicone. Most people use grates like this... https://mycotopia.net/forums/attachments/fungi-magic-mushrooms/172115d1275021112-poo-shredders-unite-expanded_metal_grating.jpg Or even chicken wire. Just look around till you find something near the size and shape that you want. All you do is press it down into the silicone.

3. It might be a little tricky doing this for a tail that's already sewn. Just because it might be harder to align the grate/scales around the seams. I'm sure with patience and concentration you should be able to line it up correctly. With caulk you just have to get a caulk gun (which are cheap) to squeeze the silicone out. Then just get a paint brush that's a few inches wide and paint the silicone onto your tail. Then once you have a layer. I would let it stand for a little. Then add another layer on top of that. Then add your impression for the scales. Then just let it dry/cure it with a heat gun. Then you can paint it!

4. I'm no sure exactly how much stretch you would lose, but I know you'd probably loose some. This I'm not too sure about.

Hope I helped a little!

MermaidFawkes
07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Yes! Thank you!

Where do i get those grates at?

Mermaid Miel
07-31-2012, 08:32 PM
The best mer to ask might be Mermaid Shelly. She used to make neoprene tails with clear silicone caulking scales on top, She only makes neoprene tails now.

MermaidFawkes
07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Sweet. How do I find her?

me+technology=badness

Mermaid Miel
08-01-2012, 11:12 AM
on here, (mernetwork) or http://www.mermaidshelly.com/

MermaidFawkes
08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks!

Winged Mermaid
08-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Applying tin cure silicone is the same as applying tin cure latex. The only difference is that you need to paint your material beforehand, because paint will not stick to silicone. Check out the "Using ALEX for tails" thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?553-Archive-quot-Using-ALEX-for-Tails-quot) and the tin cure latex and silicone section in the Tailmaking Reference Index (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2633-%E2%98%86%E2%9A%A0TAILMAKING-REFERENCE-INDEX%E2%9A%A0%E2%98%86-Look-here-BEFORE-you-post-any-questions%21) thread.