PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered!

Merman_Shawn
08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
So I just ordered my first monofin. It's a Finis Rapid. I got to try out Merguy Matt's last month and realized I needed one of my own. I also got this retro styled diving mask too!
Can't wait for the NY Mer-friend meet up now!
Does the Rapid become a little less stiff as it's used more, or do I need to work out a bit to get better propulsion? I noticed the Wave seems a little more flexible.

Mermaid Lorelei
08-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Congrats on you first monofin. :>
From my experience, it will get just a touch more flexible, but not much. It's mostly a matter of getting better at swimming with it on.

Merman_Shawn
08-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks Lorelei! Oh, how was your vacation? :)

Mermaid Lorelei
08-02-2012, 09:08 PM
No problem. :> And I'm actually still on vacation. It's been awesome so far though. Thanks for asking!

merboy78xy
08-03-2012, 04:18 AM
I'm so sad I can't make the meetup! I actually JUST heard about it. Sucks that I'm gonna still be outta town :(

Lyna
08-03-2012, 11:51 AM
love the mask shawn. :)
my first monfin turned out being an oceanica. those things fit like butt though. i'm having to heat treat the bajeesus out of it with shoe stretchers inside cranking bewtween heat sessions. i'm hoping it fits by the end of today so i can stick it into my mermaid parties tail for this weekend.

Mermaid Harmony
08-06-2012, 11:44 PM
I just bought the Rapid Monofin as well, and I love it. I feel like I have a ton more power in my swimming but I feel you on having to become a stronger swimmer. Just keep swimming just keep swimming! The fin bends but it's also fairly resistant. I feel like it'll get more flexible with time and us becoming better swimmers.

spottedcatfish
08-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Congrats on your new fin! I hope you have a blast with it! I ordered a finis foil, and I should receive in tomorrow! I know where i'll be in the last few weeks of my summer break.... the pool and maybe the beach! lol

Merman_Shawn
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Guess who is staring at the UPS truck right now? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MerAnthony
08-07-2012, 09:34 PM
LOL shawn. I got my rapid monofin when I got my tail from Mermagica. I love it and I swim in it every chance I get.

Roger Ebert
08-10-2012, 10:14 AM
valle33 - how long ago did you order from Mermagica? how many tail makers are there out there?

Mermaid Cascada
08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Coolio :D

Echidna
02-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Resurrecting this, because I'm having trouble with modern style dive masks.
Ideally, I'd like a huge glass that holds enough air to not injure your eyes without equalization if you're not going too deep (say, around 6m), but leaving the nose free.
These seem to no longer to exist, sadly.

Can anyone who used a mask like the one in the OP tell a bit about how it's like?
I'm mainly worried about leakage. All normal divemasks I have tried (even those that seem to fit via the "pressure" test) start leaking water like crazy as soon as I'm deeper than maybe 3m, which sucks unbelievably.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Resurrecting this, because I'm having trouble with modern style dive masks.
Ideally, I'd like a huge glass that holds enough air to not injure your eyes without equalization if you're not going too deep (say, around 6m), but leaving the nose free.
These seem to no longer to exist, sadly.

Can anyone who used a mask like the one in the OP tell a bit about how it's like?
I'm mainly worried about leakage. All normal divemasks I have tried (even those that seem to fit via the "pressure" test) start leaking water like crazy as soon as I'm deeper than maybe 3m, which sucks unbelievably.

This? Its has an equalizing nose area.
https://ninjashark.com.au/product/equaliser-full-face-snorkel-masks/

Or this?
https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8304664_easybreath-surface-snorkelling-mask-blue.html#/99-200-s_m

Echidna
02-22-2019, 02:17 PM
no, like the image in the first post- retro style diving mask.
I ordered one anyway, so I'll soon know more.

The full face things make me claustrophobic just looking at them^^

Merman_Shawn
06-06-2019, 09:02 PM
The mask is great! As for leakage there is a little bit, but only if it gets shifted around. The pressure isn't as bad as those little goggles that suction to your eyeballs. So it's rather comfortable. My only issue is that it squashes my nose a little. My beak is pressed right up to the glass when it's on lol

Echidna
06-06-2019, 10:37 PM
Glad you like it!
Mine was fantastic during the first dive I took it to, stayed almost dry and was very comfortable.
However, for some weird reason the next time I tried it, it just filled up with water no matter how I tried to adjust it.
And I hadn't changed the straps at all. Annoying.

deepblue
06-10-2019, 03:07 AM
I used a mask just like that all my childhood, the picture totally brings back memories. And yes, it's weird that I'm in this era of my life where my childhood - early 20s stuff is vintage. lol It feels weird. But it makes me want to seek out that mask, too.