PDA

View Full Version : Full moon swimming

Gem Stone
08-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Anyone ever want to/ go swimming during the full moon? I know it seems like a simple question but I've never done it yet. Have you? Anyone else want to? It seems like it would be fun.

Mermaid Saphira
08-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I have done it many times before. It is alot of fun to do and it gives u such a magical feeling!

Gem Stone
08-02-2012, 07:36 PM
I think tonight's a full moon, ima try to swim tonight. Hopefully

Merman Dan
08-02-2012, 10:57 PM
The last day of August is also a full moon. A Blue Moon, as it is the second full moon in the month. I will be swimming in my pool. :)

Mermaid Lira
08-03-2012, 08:00 AM
I've done it soo many times ! And, in fact, yesterday evening =) I love this cause it's truly magical but a bit frightening too :eek:

Gem Stone
08-03-2012, 08:55 AM
The last day of August is also a full moon. A Blue Moon, as it is the second full moon in the month. I will be swimming in my pool. :)
A blue moon?
Nevermind, I googled it

Lyna
08-03-2012, 11:01 AM
i've done it a ton when i was younger and had a pool in my back yard. but not in many years. now i have the lake at my disposal but i'm not sure what the temp would be at night, or if i'd be allowed on the beach at that hour. hmm..

Mermaid Crystal
08-12-2012, 09:52 PM
sadly i don't have a pool and i cant swim at night

Mermaid Crystal
09-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Now today in TX is a "blue moon" and I swam at that time it felt magical!

spottedcatfish
09-02-2012, 04:37 AM
I really wish I wasn't sick yesterday (or today). I would have totally gone swimming or hottubbing last night. :-(

Azurin Luna
09-03-2012, 02:41 AM
It's not safe here to swim at night else I would have done it too. The closest thing I have is the moonlight night at our local pool, where they turn off the lights and only leave the pool lights on

Mermaid Melanie
01-25-2013, 12:20 AM
The only thing with swimming at full moon is the currents will be stronger just be careful where you swim - shallow protected areas probably best

spottedcatfish
01-25-2013, 04:36 AM
There's another full moon this Sunday... I may just go for a swim. :)

AptaMer
01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi SpottedCatfish,

The full moon happens on Saturday, Jan 26 in North America. The exact time is Jan 27 4:38 am UTC (Europe) which corresponds to Jan 26, 11:38 pm EST (East Coast) and Jan. 26 8:38 pm PST (West Coast)

The moon will rise at approximately 5:20 pm on Jan 26/27 on the west coast and 5 pm on the east coast, so there will be a beautiful full moon sailing overhead Saturday night and the wee hours of Sunday am.

BTW, if you want the exact new, quarter and full moon times, you can go to this page http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_moonphases.pl?year=2013&ZZZ=END

you can also get moonrise and moonset times here http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php

I can't help it. I'm an incurable science geek :)

AptaMer
01-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Just wanted to mention too, last year I went swimming during the supermoon in May, 2012 at Cherry Beach here in Toronto. The water was really cold, and I had to wear a wetsuit, but because of the cold it was crystal clear, like spring water and you could see right to the bottom and far off into the distance.

The moon was so bright you could see everything lit up, but in a magical bluish light, and the water plants cast beautiful shadows.

BTW, this year's supermoon happens on June 23, 2013, so the water should be much warmer here in Canada. It's supposed to be almost as bright as last year's.

Odette
01-26-2013, 12:29 AM
oh gosh this is the most beautiful serene thing i've done.
the moon shines down over the water and its warm outside.As soon as i get into the pool, its warm and then you can see a faint shadow of your mermaid silhouette while swimming. the desert is pretty quiet so its really peaceful. this is actually when i did my best breath hold of 2 minutes. you cant help but to be relaxed.

spottedcatfish
01-26-2013, 03:41 AM
AptaMer, Thanks for the information. My calendar says it's on Sunday... weird. Anyways, I plan to go swimming in a pool but it will be outside, and possibly raining. :-( but that means more pool for me, as hopefully others won't want to swim in the rain. :-)

Rain
01-26-2013, 04:19 AM
I've only swam on a full moon once, but I couldn't see the moon much because my house was covering most of it lol. I would have had to get out of the pool and go through the front door to see it clearly but I didn't feel like getting out.

Mermaid Wesley
01-26-2013, 05:49 AM
I've always wanted to.... But I don't have a pool and I'm not down to go night swimming at any la beaches.... Too much sketch involved. I would live to do it, but it isn't likely.

AptaMer
01-26-2013, 02:13 PM
AptaMer, Thanks for the information. My calendar says it's on Sunday... weird.

Hi SpottedCatfish, Your calendar may refer to so-called UTC time, which is equal to Greenwich Mean Time in England? Technically, the exact full moon occurs on Sunday in Europe, even though it's in the wee hours of Sunday morning there.

The Naval Observatory tables calculate the exact minute the moon hits full, but it would still look full on both Saturday and Sunday nights, like, 99% or 98% of full on Sunday night. Since it occurs on the weekend, maybe this is the time to get in 2 night time full moon swims, at least where it's warm. Ha ha, here in Toronto it's -7 degrees. I think I'll wait for the supermoon in June.

roamingmer
01-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Hmm frozen lakes n snow n ice on the roads. A full moon swim will have to wait for warmer weather. But the NZ weather is excellent so downunder is the best place to be

spottedcatfish
01-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Hi SpottedCatfish, Your calendar may refer to so-called UTC time, which is equal to Greenwich Mean Time in England? Technically, the exact full moon occurs on Sunday in Europe, even though it's in the wee hours of Sunday morning there.

The Naval Observatory tables calculate the exact minute the moon hits full, but it would still look full on both Saturday and Sunday nights, like, 99% or 98% of full on Sunday night. Since it occurs on the weekend, maybe this is the time to get in 2 night time full moon swims, at least where it's warm. Ha ha, here in Toronto it's -7 degrees. I think I'll wait for the supermoon in June.

Well today it was foggy and there was no sun, and then tonight it got down to about 50 degrees. (I know for some of you that may not seem cold, but for me it is). Also the fog, which still hasn't lifted, would impair the view of the moon. So I decided to keep warm tonight. That supermoon sounds like a great time to plan an event! (nudge nudge *So cal pod*). :thumbs up:

Mermaid Allie
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah it was so cold last full moon that we went skating in my friends backyard instead haha! OMG THE MOON WAS HUGE AND ORANGE IT WAS SO COOL

Gem Stone
01-29-2013, 01:41 AM
this summer I'm going to go swimming in my pool during a full moon. or somewhere during a full moon. I WILL BE SWIMMING! at least once I hope. now I just have to plan...

Moonflower
01-29-2013, 04:53 AM
I go to Cocoa Beach nearly every full moon to meditate. Sometimes, if the water and weather is right, I swim in the ocean, and sometimes I'll go in my tail.

drucilla
01-29-2013, 10:54 AM
A swim during the full moon sounds romantic :cool:

AptaMer
01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
That supermoon sounds like a great time to plan an event! (nudge nudge *So cal pod*). :thumbs up:

The Supermoon on Junbe 23 would be such a great time to do an event! Hope you Californians can pull it off.

The water's still a little chilly in most parts of Canada in June, but there are a few lakes that may have warmed up by then. Hmmmm

Somebody needs to find a good moon pool.

Mermaid Danielle
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Swimming under the full moon sounds awesome! I'm in the same boat as some of the others here though, I definitely need to wait for warmer weather...

AptaMer
01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
I go to Cocoa Beach nearly every full moon to meditate. Sometimes, if the water and weather is right, I swim in the ocean, and sometimes I'll go in my tail.

That sounds so awsome!

Spindrift
01-30-2013, 12:45 AM
I think full moon swimming might be really fun, but the water might be too cold for me :P

Merman Ray
01-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Have you ever felt a strong need to swim to Maco Island after seeing the full moon?(just kidding)

I love full moons anyway and I would love to go tail swimming on the full moon.

Mermaid Shayna
02-25-2013, 05:46 PM
I try to plan summer sleepovers with two or three friends during the full moon so we can sneak out of the house and go skinny dipping around midnight. It's always best to have at least one other person or mer with you, just in case. We swim at a lake and not the ocean. I'm saving up for a merbellas tail and I'm going to bring it there sometime.

AptaMer
04-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Just in case it's warm enough for some of our southern mer friends, tonight (Thur., April 25) is the full moon.

Moonflower
04-25-2013, 06:34 AM
I went tonight quite late to the beach. I actually just got home about 20 minutes ago (6:00am), but I didn't go swimming (good thing too, I spotted a couple Man o'War jellyfish on the beach when I was walking). I decided to walk and search for shells, even though Cocoa isn't exactly known for shells... What I found disgusted me...

10937 10938

I understand finding cups and maybe water bottles at the beach... but it was mostly styrofoam bits, mylar balloons, plastic bottles, and oil/antifreeze containers... And this was just what had washed up when the tide went out... I think the worst part was finding some of them next to fresh footprints. How can you just ignore that and keep going?! Pick it up and toss it in the next garbage can you see! There are plenty on the beach! >_< And, after all that, I ended up with about 15 shells. I found more garbage than shells... SMH

Echidna
05-22-2013, 06:42 PM
We'll see a drastic damage to the whole marine ecosystem soon because of the plastic trash maelstrom.

Most of it has been worn down to microscopic sizes by the currents by now, and whales and other plankton feeders are ingesting trash galore. I really fear for what the future might bring in this regard.

Concerning full moon swimming; it's sure incredibly beautiful and romantic, but
aren't you supposed to steer clear of the ocean at night? :O
All the predators that come out in the darkness!

The only place I'd dare to set tail in after nightfall would be a swimming pool :D