PDA

View Full Version : People who are too smart.....

Kanti
08-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Sweet Jesus this girl.. She's NUTS! She loves math so much she literally does equations
for fun xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=jG7vhMMXagQ&NR=1

I really admire that for some reason, though. I don't like math but I suppose I'm alright
at it so it's enough to get by. Sometimes I wish I could solve equations just for fun. It
might make math a lot more fun of a subject!

Does anyone here like math in a way similar? I always find it to be one of the more
unenjoyable subjects at school.

green52
08-03-2012, 03:26 AM
I was wondering if this video would go on to suggest that the overemphasis of Pi is emblematic of how badly math is taught in general. It sort of surprised me that the video isn't about education, its just about people who think that its dumb to teach equations that aren't as simplified as they could be.

That said, she convinced me.

AniaR
08-03-2012, 08:15 AM
I actually did a neat activity during my teacher education in math about Pi and showing kids real world application, basically, we ended up following these instructions on cutting up a circle via pi then putting it back together to make a rhombus! was so cool, blew all of our minds. I think Pi still applies more than tau and other methods that may be simpler but can't be applied more generally. Pi is also the bases for a lot of equations where tau wouldn't work. So, I disagree with her. I think she raises interesting points for discussion yes, and really, there are many ways to arrive at an answers and a good teacher will teach to all learning styles.

Mermaid Lira
08-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Maths is what I prefered at school ! :D I loved resolved equations when I was a child (not very difficult equations huh ^^)

Mermaid Narina
08-03-2012, 09:17 AM
eeee! :O im terrible at maths x.x

Mermaid Cascada
08-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I love math! :p (I'm a nerd and proud of it!!) I was even accepted into a math college course in eighth grade.

Mermaid Saphira
08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
I do NOT like math and it doesn't like me. That said..I will not be around this thread again :lol: LOL

Kanti
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
@green - Yea I think the main point was just to show there's a better and more
effective thing to use than pi. I thought it was really cool that anyone would think
outside the box like that and try to re-invent it. Usually I just do whatever the
teacher tells me I should do xD

@Raina - yea I'm sure there are a ton of ways where Pi has the advantages over
Tau, I just thought it was really cool how someone redefined it! This girl also has
a ton of videos on Pi so she seems to not like it xD
It sort of makes me want to try using Tau on a math exam to see what the teacher
would say. Obviously I would explain and junk but I wonder if they'd get annoyed
or be excited that you're thinking outside the box?

Toxotes
08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Well, this video is really cute.
But renaming 2x(pi) into (tau) doesn't make that much sense to me.

The easiest example:
The area of a circle is what?
pi x rē

Of course, i grew up using pi as the constant relation between the diameter and the circumference of a circle.
And math was always easy for me. So I don't understand why it would be easier to use (tau).

AniaR
08-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Obviously I would explain and junk but I wonder if they'd get annoyed
or be excited that you're thinking outside the box?

A good teacher better damn well be proud XD

Artisankatie
08-19-2012, 02:43 AM
I'm awful at maths, but I'm studying astronomy at uni, lol. Bad combination!
I'm super lucky though, my partner is a math genius and he helps me with everything :3 (he got 100% for Advanced Engineering Mathematics last semester in his second year Engineering course, I'm so proud of him! /brag hehe)

SilverSiren
08-19-2012, 07:06 AM
As soon as this started I was lost, I'm terrible at math... and now I just want some friggin pie.

Jadestone
08-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I absolutely LOVE Vi Hart's videos. And her as a person. She's all about pointing out all the cool things in math people don't notice/skim over because, well, it's math. Math isn't supposed to be fun. But so much of nature is based entirely on it and it can be so awesome and beautiful!

If you haven't seen more of her videos, you really should! Even if you don't know much about math she explains the concepts simply and it's easy to comprehend them-- http://www.youtube.com/user/Vihart/videos

I followed a tutorial she made a while ago to make a hyperbolic plane out of seed beeds. Made some cool jewelery