PDA

View Full Version : Asexuality

Princess Kae-Leah
07-29-2011, 10:12 PM
OK, I'm biting the bullet by starting a thread about something that's very personal to me, my sexuality, or rather the lack thereof, asexuality. Contrary to popular belief, not all humans are sexual beings. At least one percent of the population doesn't experience sexual attraction at all, and I am part of that one percent, and proud of it. Being asexual is a huge part of my identity and as a writer, influences me so much because I'm determined to write entertaining books with no sex in them. Feel free to ask me any questions you like about being "ace", provided they are respectful and don't disobey any Forum rules.

P.S.: I may not swim, but I am the ultimate mermaid, because fish are asexual and so am I. Don't get me starting on the whole "seductive siren" stereotype, I hate it when something I love is associated with sexuality!

mikamer
07-29-2011, 11:06 PM
How do you know you're asexual? I don't mean that as a jib at you either, Im sincerely asking and Im sure this is the stereotypical question people ask but do you ever wonder if it's just a matter of not meeting anyone who attracts you? I was celibate and single for years and I thought I might be asexual simply because nothing interested me or turned me on but then I met someone who seriously changed it all for me. Id be interested in hearing more, it's something I looked up a lot online a few years ago. I think some people just say they are for attention though sometimes.

malinghi
07-29-2011, 11:42 PM

Moonflower
07-30-2011, 12:37 AM
I've never heard that fish are asexual before. Where are you getting your information?

Spindrift
07-30-2011, 12:48 AM
I think it's because they lay eggs and don't have sex.

Spindrift
07-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Oh hey. Ralph Nader. I thought about interning for Public Citizenship once. But I thought that him being asexual was just an urban myth?

Princess Kae-Leah
07-30-2011, 01:02 AM
How do you know you're asexual? I don't mean that as a jib at you either, Im sincerely asking and Im sure this is the stereotypical question people ask but do you ever wonder if it's just a matter of not meeting anyone who attracts you? I was celibate and single for years and I thought I might be asexual simply because nothing interested me or turned me on but then I met someone who seriously changed it all for me. Id be interested in hearing more, it's something I looked up a lot online a few years ago. I think some people just say they are for attention though sometimes.

For me, I've known I was asexual since I first found out about "the birds and the bees". I was like "ew, I never want to do that!", but my parents and everyone else I said that too was sure I'd grow out of that. But you know what? I never did. I don't want to get into too much TMI stuff, which I know is easy as pie to do considering the subject matter of this thread, but let's just say I'm a grown woman who is at an age where most people have had at least a handful of intimate relationships, but I've never, EVER been interested in being close to anyone sexually. Now, goodness knows I honestly love being the center of attention as much as any other mer here, but asexuality is definitely not a plea for attention for me, it's something that I've known I was before I even knew there was a word for it, if that makes any sense. Thanks for your honest question, dahling! I think the only way a thread like this is gonna work is if it remains an honest yet civil discussion, and it's looks like you've gotten off on that right track.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-30-2011, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE=Spindrift;1526]Oh hey. Ralph Nader. I thought about interning for Public Citizenship once. But I thought that him being asexual was just an urban myth?

I personally wouldn't care either way if he was or wasn't. I know his name does come up when people think of asexuality. The late Michael Jackson is another possibly asexual "candidate". I can't off the top of my head think of any celebs where we can be 100% percent sure they're ace though.

And as for fish being asexual, you got it Spindrift! Now, I'm not even close to a biologist or any other kind of scientist for that matter, so after reviewing the "asexual reproduction" article on good 'ol Wikipedia, maybe fish aren't technically considered asexual, at least not all kinds(apparently certain kinds of sharks have shown truly asexual reproduction), but the point is, they don't mate and reproduce like humans and other mammals do, therefore I've always felt a weird kinship with sea creatures(part of the reason for my seafood-free diet) that is hard to explain without having someone wanting to put me in a rubber room, but I digress. That's why I never understood why mermaids can be such a sexualized symbol for some people, when we're not even "compatible".

New York Mermaid
07-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Good for you for being your own person : , As a fellow mermaid I dont think about the whole "sexual thing" of mermaids ,but its just known that mermaids are beautiful creatures. And you are as every one here is, a beautiful person. You made a choice and stuck to it and that speaks volumes. Im a proud married woman and yet my husband is my bestest friend (wow i channeled my inner 7yr old) We were best friends for 5 yrs before any dating and marriage and he still continues to be my best friend.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-30-2011, 01:19 AM
Good for you for being your own person : , As a fellow mermaid I dont think about the whole "sexual thing" of mermaids ,but its just known that mermaids are beautiful creatures. And you are as every one here is, a beautiful person. You made a choice and stuck to it and that speaks volumes. Im a proud married woman and yet my husband is my bestest friend (wow i channeled my inner 7yr old) We were best friends for 5 yrs before any dating and marriage and he still continues to be my best friend.

Thanks for you support, dahling! It sounds like you and your hubby have a lovely relationship.

Psychic Tideborn
07-30-2011, 06:47 AM
As a very sexual bisexual man i found this topic interesting. It is a completely new topic for me and so i decided to research it a bit. Asexuality is pretty much the exact opposite of what I am and so I was very intrigued by what I found. Of course the first website that popped up for me was http://www.asexuality.org (http://www.asexuality.org/) which is a website for many people asexual and sexual alike to become a community and learn more about this sexual orientation. I found this and was a little confused and i suppose still am a bit and the side note at the bottom made me laugh XD
--------------------------------------------------------------------
OVERVIEW
An asexual is someone who does not experience sexual attraction. Unlike celibacy, which people choose, asexuality is an intrinsic part of who we are. Asexuality does not make our lives any worse or any better, we just face a different set of challenges than most sexual people. There is considerable diversity among the asexual community; each asexual person experiences things like relationships, attraction, and arousal somewhat differently. Asexuality is just beginning to be the subject of scientific research (http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Research_relating_to_asexuality).

Relationships
Asexual people have the same emotional needs as anyone else, and like in the sexual community we vary widely in how we fulfill those needs. Some asexual people are happier on their own, others are happiest with a group of close friends. Other asexual people have a desire to form more intimate romantic relationships, and will date and seek long-term partnerships. Asexual people are just as likely to date sexual people as we are to date each other.

Sexual or nonsexual, all relationships are made up of the same basic stuff. Communication, closeness, fun, humor, excitement and trust all happen just as much in sexual relationships as in nonsexual ones. Unlike sexual people, asexual people are given few expectations about the way that our intimate relationships will work. Figuring out how to flirt, to be intimate, or to be monogamous in a nonsexual relationships can be challenging, but free of sexual expectations we can form relationships in ways that are grounded in our individual needs and desires.

Attraction
Many asexual people experience attraction, but we feel no need to act out that attraction sexually. Instead we feel a desire to get to know someone, to get close to them in whatever way works best for us. Asexual people who experience attraction will often be attracted to a particular gender, and will identify as lesbian, gay, bi, or straight.

Arousal
For some sexual arousal is a fairly regular occurrence, though it is not associated with a desire to find a sexual partner or partners. Some will occasionally masturbate, but feel no desire for partnered sexuality. Other asexual people experience little or no arousal. Because we don’t care about sex, asexual people generally do not see a lack of sexual arousal as a problem to be corrected, and focus their energy on enjoying other types of arousal and pleasure.

Note: People do not need sexual arousal to be healthy, but in a minority of cases a lack of arousal can be the symptom of a more serious medical condition. If you do not experience sexual arousal or if you suddenly lose interest in sex you should probably check with a doctor just to be safe.

Identity
Most people on AVEN have been asexual for our entire lives. Just as people will rarely and unexpectedly go from being straight to gay, asexual people will rarely and unexpectedly become sexual or vice versa. Another small minority will think of themselves as asexual for a brief period of time while exploring and questioning their own sexuality.

There is no litmus test to determine if someone is asexual. Asexuality is like any other identity- at its core, it’s just a word that people use to help figure themselves out. If at any point someone finds the word asexual useful to describe themselves, we encourage them to use it for as long as it makes sense to do so.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I was also reading a bit more about Asexual couples. It's interesting to see that a lot of these couples stay together for a long time because they are solely together because of each others personalities and what they get from the other person emotionally rather than physically. It seems like if more people, and I am a firm believer in this, had relationships where they didn't have sex, their relationships may last longer. I know to many people who are in relationships that are primarily based on sex and at some point the sex gets old and the two people find out they are not as compatible as they once thought. Animals who do mate, especially males, are wired for variety. And humans are no exception. Yes humans are capable of, and in most religions expected to find one person and "mate for life". But honestly how many other animals do this? (Besides Penguins, who, while cute and adorable, are almost like God's cruel little joke) Many animals like dogs, cats, horses etc... mate with many many different "partners" and go on with their lives. Other animals, like coral, clams, etc... do not actually mate. They don't have "partners" and they live either solitary lives or live in groups. It's funny to me how the human race seems to mimic the rest of nature in our baser animalistic natures, but yet we fight it because we are "evolved" and for some reason believe we have grown past all of that. People are silly lol. Sorry for my crazy banter but I thought this topic was pretty interesting and i wanted to put my 2 cents in XD Even if I kind of went a bit off topic for a moment XD Hope no one throws a rock at me!!

AniaR
07-30-2011, 08:23 AM
I wonder about birds for that matter, they have mating rituals but they fetilize externally too...

Taylor is a Mermaid
07-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Some male birds do have phalluses and mate like mammals, but most don't. And Psychic Tideborn I know swans mate for life, as do some wolves. In fact I think it's no wonder dogs are so easily domesticated and integrated into human life; the wolf and wild dog social structures are very close to human nuclear families.

But I'm getting off topic here. Kae-Leah, I honestly can't wrap my head around asexuality. There are lots of questions I'd like to ask you, but I think they would be too prying/personal. I do respect you being so honest and open about your choice, though.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-30-2011, 02:23 PM
@Psychic Tideborn, thanks for the plug for AVEN, one of my favorite websites!

@Taylor, you're not alone by any means and I'm not offended, our world is so obsessed with sexuality that it's hard for a lot of people to swallow that a concept like asexuality could actually exist, and that's why I created this thread. I'd like to open people's eyes to something that is a lot more common than they think(1% of the population is still millions of people around the world!).
If it helps, I'll try to give my answer to some of the FAQs that tend to get thrown at aces a lot, which may or may not be what you were thinking?:
*Have you ever been sexually abused?
Nope, definitely not, and neither have most people who identify as asexual.
*Are you sure you're not just a repressed lesbian?
I'm sure! I'd no more rather be sexually involved with a woman than a man. No offense to anybody, I'm a big supporter of LGTBA rights.
*Were you raised in a highly religious environment that taught you to view sexuality negatively?
Well, honestly, I WAS raised in a pretty conservative Pentecostal church, but I don't think religion has anything to do with my asexuality, and, hey, my Pentecostal father was more freaked out about my asexuality than anybody else.
*Do you, well, you know, it starts with M?
I have before, honestly, but I haven't done it in a long time. I think it's a real waste of time, frankly.
*Are you sure you just haven't met the right person yet? Are you sure you're not just a "late bloomer"?
Well, I can't see into the future any more than anyone else can, but I'm pretty sure I'm too old to be a late bloomer. I've heard on AVEN that the great thing about getting older when you're ace is that ppl ask you that question less and less. ;)
*If you've never had sex, how do you know you won't like it? Don't knock it till you tried it!
There's a lot of other things that I've never done, that I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy, like stuffing dirty socks in my mouth or drinking chlorine bleach mixed with water. Again, no offense to anybody, I certainly wouldn't wish the whole world was asexual, because, then, let's face it, none of us would be here! ;)
*What's it like being asexual in a world so preoccupied with sex? It must be so hard!
Yes, believe me, it is, but I manage the best I can. I choose my RL friends pretty carefully and I've learned to be very selective in the movies and TV shows I watch and the books I read, which is hard because we all know that sex sells in entertainment. BTW, anyone have any recommendations for good, sex-free Paranormal Romance books? ;)
*Even though you obviously don't have sex, do you still date and develop romantic relationships? If not, are ever really lonely?
I personally don't date or have relationships, at least not at this time in my life, and yes, I honestly do feel really lonely sometimes, though I don't think my asexuality is the only thing to blame there.

Princess Kae-Leah
08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Whoa boy, I keep re-editing and re-posting cuz I have so much to say, but I don't wanna offend anybody or cause more drama. I guess I'll go with more FAQs, and my honest, self-analytical responses:
*Do you think being ace makes you more special and important than others here?
I never consciously thought that, no, but I do think now that saying that "I'm the ultimate mer 'cause I'm ace" probably wasn't the best way to put it, because it implies that being ace makes me more of a "real" mer. Constantly whining about how hard it is to be ace could also make me seem inconsiderate of others' problems and self-absorbed. I'm an Aspie through and through, and the hardest part of socializing for me is the "give and take" of being part of a conversation.
*What can we do to support Asexual Acceptance?
I think the most important thing someone can do to support Asexual Acceptance is to simply admit that asexuality exists and is just as real and legitimate of an orientation as being gay, straight, or bi is and it's NOT a matter of just not having found the right person yet, being a late bloomer, being repressed, etc. If you're involved with an LGBT rights organization, I recommend changing that the acronym to "LGBTA". And, yes, aces don't have the government deciding whether or not they can marry or adopt children, etc., so I do think that if you feel there are more pressing human rights causes out there, you're probably right. Being ace may not by any means always be the easiest thing in the world, but I think that, sure, implying that we have it the hardest probably comes off as insensitive and self-centered.

merboy78xy
08-02-2011, 07:26 PM
This is still off the subject a bit, but I wanted to comment on Psychic Tideborn's post...
I have had MANY different types of relationships, from platonic to romantic (though no sex), to "one night stands," to "one nighters" that turned into relationships, to open relationships, to polyamorous relationships! I found that for me: sex didn't matter. Either the relationship was good and we were a good fit, or we weren't. I think that's what it came down to in the end (at least for me).
I think that you can easily love someone, or have a great sexual chemistry, but if the fit isn't good-- it won't matter. I have had friends in serious abusive relationships, and I KNOW they loved them. But they CLEARLY were not a good fit. SO it would appear that love is neither here nor there. It's ALL IMPORTANT in this world-- but I don't think is necessarily what will make or break a relationship. (Obviously, if you don't love someone or they don't love you, a romantic relationship will be rather difficult...)
ALSO, I wanted to post about monogamy in the animal kingdom. True, there are certain animals that tend to mate for life: swans, albatross, etc. But in general, you can look at families of animals to see a "trend." Interestingly-- we are the only "ape" in the ape family (if you believe in evolution) that attempts monogamy. The other live in a harem society: Alpha male with a group of females dedicated to him.
It also seems coincidental that even in our society, it seems that (to generalize or perhaps stereotype) women wish to settle down with one person to love forever, and men are known for being sexual pigs who want to "sow their wild oats" with anything that moves. Hehehehe.
So in MY opinion, I think that we have evolved to a point of choice. And I think everyone's different. I DO think that there is some old instinct from a harem society still in our genes, but I think that we have gotten to the point where we can choose what works best for us.
As I said: I've tried it all. I'm very liberal. And it frightened a LOT of my exes. But the funny thing was that when we would decide on monogamy, it was ME who would get cheated on! I feel that there are a LOT of people who don't truly know who they are or what they want-- just try to follow some "rule book" that has been handed down from family, or religion, or society or movies, etc. etc.
I think we should ALL really step outside ourselves and look at what works for US... gay/straight/bi/sexual/asexual... just find out who we are and then try to find a good fit. I think that if we did that: made up boundaries and rules from scratch for each relationship we attempt (instead of trying to force someone into a mould we already set up), then perhaps divorce wouldn't be so common!
Sorry to wax philosophical for so long. This is just an interesting subject for me too!

P.S. check out the book called: Biological Exuberance. VERY interesting read on the subject!

Princess Kae-Leah
08-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Lovely, insightful post, merboy! Thanks so much for sharing for personal experiences! Something that really bothers me is the fact that so many people seem to confuse sex with romance, and think that you can't have one without the other. Sex isn't love, and love isn't sex, and I think you can attest to that. The standard party line in our culture is "sex is a very important part of any healthy romantic relationship", which I think is terrible because it grossly over-generalizes what is an extremely personal issue. People are individuals and no two relationships are the same. There are those who are very sexual beings that can't ever be happy with a relationship that doesn't include lots of wild sex, and there are those like me who neither want nor need sex. I think people, myself very much included, need to stop listening to what society says and trust their own instincts. So many people who aren't even ace are still pressured into sex when they aren't ready for it, and many aces "compromise" by giving sex a whirl and later regretting it for the rest of their life. I'd like us as a society to evolve to a stage where we realize that while sex is vital for the survival of our species and that people who genuinely enjoy it shouldn't be ashamed of it, but at the same time realize that there is so much for to life than just sex. The sleazy "sex sells" mentality so prevalent in the advertising and entertainment industry reveals that 99% of the human population has gone beyond simple sex-positivity into downright sexual obsession that isn't in my opinion any better than rigid Victorian standards of morality when premarital sex was treated as worse than murder for a woman and all minority orientations had no choice but to stay in the closet. I think a healthy balance is needed desperately.

Princess Kae-Leah
08-03-2011, 06:30 PM
More FAQs:
*If you are asexual, why do you mention sex so often?
I try not to mention it just to mention it, but our world is so over-sexualized that it's a topic that comes up quite a lot for most adults whether they're ace or not, and just about any topic under the sun can be linked to something sexual pretty easily.
*Do you view people who genuinely enjoy sex as dirty and immoral?
Hmm, very touchy question! I honestly try my best not to judge people, and I understand that every single person on the planet is an individual with their own interests, tastes, desires, needs, etc., but there are honestly certain sexual practices that I have an extremely hard time why anyone would enjoy and I personally find gross. I don't think enjoying such things truly makes someone a bad person, but it do think it makes them hard for me to relate to them.

merboy78xy
08-03-2011, 07:03 PM
I think that was very well said Kae-Leah!
I too try to accept that there are so many different ways people enjoy themselves... some of which are not my cup of tea.
But that doesn't make it any reason to think ill of someone. I feel that if people are consensual, have thought it through and are truly ok with it, and it does not harm anyone-- then by all means: go for it. I just may not be interested in joining in!
:)

Nerissa
08-23-2011, 12:43 AM
I really admire you who have found yourselves. Please pardon my English, it's only my second language. I respect people like you, who know who they are and know what they like and don't. I thought for a while that I was asexual as well, but I do have those feelings, I like physical love. I just had a while when I thought sex was the most disgusting thing I've ever experienced and it just didn't interest me at all. I am weird that way. First, I'm heterosexual, and then I'm lesbian for a while, and after that I'm considering myself as asexual. But now I'm about to fall in love with a guy, so now I'm heterosexual again.
It really tires me to be like that. I blame my sickness. Or maybe that guy I used to date... he wasn't right for me.
Anyway, back to subject. It's good for you that you know who you are. I have a friend who is asexual as well, and Emilie Autumn is also asexual. Some are born asexual, some have probably experienced too many bad things related to sex. I just hope you are in the first group.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I am very sexual. I'm also very into physical contact... I like it when people pat my arm or shoulder or hold my hand or run their fingers through my hair. And I love hugs (and kissing). I come from an Italian-American family, and most of my close relatives, male and female, were big on hugs with a kiss on the cheeks for greetings and departures. I went to a predominantly Irish-Catholic grade school and an all-boys prep school for middle school and high school, though, and it was around that time that I became aware of my attraction to guys (and that wasn't fun at all... until I went away to college).

You're right that sex isn't love, but it doesn't have to be ugly or offensive, either. It can be comforting, welcoming, warm, gentle, and loving... though that is more often a result of finding (and being... it takes two... or however many of you are engaging in sex) someone you share feelings with, not just someone to whom you're physically attracted to.

Did you know that the Ancient Greeks had three versions of love? Eros was the love of attraction and sex, the fire and sparks and magnetism and heat that burns brightly, but can die out easily if not sustained by the other kinds of love. Philos was the love between friends and close family members, the ones you trusted. Agape was the spiritual love, the kind that you hear about from those who have achieved enlightenment or the love of God. It strikes me that there's definitely a core of truth to that description, even all these thousands of years later.

meremily
12-08-2011, 11:29 AM
so you do not want childrens when youre older?

MermaidMisty
12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
As far as fish being asexual, I'm certain you're right, at least a good amount of fish don't have sex like we do. But I've always considered mermaids and mermen to be closer to dolphins, underwater mammals. Dolphins do have sex, and are in fact among the few animals that have sex for pleasure.
I'm actually pansexual, which means I'm attracted to other people regardless of their gender identity. The difference between pansexual and bisexual is that bisexual means being attracted to men and women, whereas pansexual acknowledges and is open to attraction to those that have a different gender identity. I understand dealing with skepticism, too; people tend to dismiss it as a phase, especially older people. But I hope that the older I get, the less people will dismiss it; that may be a benefit of age offered to all those of alternate sexual orientations.
I'm also curious about polyamoury, which is having romantic relationships with more than one person at a time. But I think that is one instance where I could easily identify with someone asexual, in the realm of relationships. I think that the bond between people can be strengthened through sex, but I don't think that bond can be built or repaired with it. Therefore, when I say I'm curious about polyamoury, I don't mean having a sexual relationship with more than one person, but rather taking the normal bond of friendship and building it to a level of intimacy that sexual couples sometimes attain. I've often felt it unfair that society's expectations seem to condemn excessive love, and promote excessive sex, when it should be flipped around, especially in this day and age. That's not to say I don't enjoy sex though, because I certainly do, just to say that it's not everything.

taom
12-19-2011, 09:54 PM
I am soo behind Kae-Leah and Merboy about relationships not being about the sex (my boyfriend and I have been dating for 3 and a half years and are still virgin. our relationship is absolutely amazing), but at the same time I'm with Joys&RaptorsUnrestrained when it comes to needing physical love.

So we all know that it is chemicals in the brain that cause feelings of love. They are also the cause of the desire for sex as well as with what gender of person one wants to be in a relationship. What's really cool is that it has been proven that the development of those chemicals are directly correlated to the presence of things called androgens around a child in infancy and in the womb. Depending on a whole bunch of factors and certain things that happen to you as a fetus and an infant, you will have a certain number of dopamine receptors in your brain. If you have a lot of receptors but not enough stimulation for them all, as is usually the case, physical love will be your thing. If you only have a few, you wont desire touch as much if at all (however, those people are more likely to fall to addictive substances because they make the dopamine in their brain shoot way up. that is the high. it feels so good that when they drop down to their normal levels of dopamine, it isn't enough anymore and they have to get another fix)

Basically, I agree with all of you with you annoyance at society. We should not be told we have to have sex to have a good relationship. In fact, I personally believe that the best relationships are built without sex, so that the two people become each other's best friends, and then the sex is added in when the people are dedicated to each other. You can always find another person to have sex with but you can always find another person to have a relationship with. Why sacrifice that deep connection for a few minuted physical pleasure?

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-20-2011, 02:32 AM
I agree that society is misguided for a number a reasons regarding sexuality of every sort.

meremily, which of us were you asking? I myself do want children someday.

Mermaidmisty, sorry to hear about the skepticism you and Princess Kae-Leah face from people who presume to think that only their way (or their parents' way) is the one route to a loving relationship. I'm also curious about... well, erotic romance novels refer to it as "menage" or m/m/m or m/m/f or even m/m/f/f or m/m/m/f or whatever, rather than polyamory, but it seems to be the same thing... I'm wondering how many people make relationships between more than two people work that we never hear about.

taom, I probably would've remained a virgin were it not for some casual experiments in college. I think that those of us who choose to keep themselves until marriage (or whatever other time is right for them) are to be valued and respected and encouraged, and I hope that your choices have let you both come to know and care for each other better than you would have otherwise. Even now, I'm becoming burned out on casual sex and finding myself longing for something deeper, and refusing to put up with anything less. I do miss and crave more physical contact than I currently get, though. I also have to point out that Harry Harlow's experiments on the importance of love and physical comfort and contact seem to suggest that at least some of my desires come from a valid psychological necessity of humanity, rather than just a desire to get off (actually, I'm usually more into seeing to my partner's needs).

Princess Kae-Leah, I don't know if your statements about fish sexuality (even if they breed differently, fish have been shown to feel pain and anger and frustration and boredom, so I imagine they feel physical pleasure as well as some sort of emotional stimulus accompanying breeding or spawning in order to encourage said breeding or spawning... I can't imagine male anglerfish give up their mobility and faces and most of their non-sexual organs to become protrusions on a female just because they had nothing better to do) are fully valid, but are you aware that asexuality is becoming increasingly known in our culture... there's at least one attractive sub-character in the webcomic, El Goonish Shive, who is asexual and eventually finds a balance between his desire for physical closeness and contact and his lack of interest in sex, and I can think of a few other characters as well in other sources whom you might relate to.

MermaidMisty
12-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Joy,

"Menage" is a form of polyamory, but one that includes multiple people in a relationship with each other. Polyamory on its own can also be used to describe a person having relationships with multiple people, without all of those people necessarily being in a relationship with each other. For example, Marissa is dating Katherine and Alex, but Katherine and Alex are not involved with each other.

People are making different forms of polyamory work now more than ever, it seems, if you look in the right places. Often the main difficulty in such a relationship is discomfort and lack of support from family and friends, as well as the general public reaction. Though it's still not widely accepted, the more people learn to live and let live, the more often such relationships work out well for all involved.

Mermaid Miel
12-29-2011, 10:35 PM
@ Princess Kae-leah. You asked for any good paranormal romances without sex scenes/sexual emphasis. To be honest I haven't found one, but then my tastes are slightly different. In Scifi-fantasy, Anne McCaffrey is excellent at portraying romantic relationships without mentioning sex. She also has lots of advice for aspiring writers on her official website. Another teen-fantasy author with lots of advice is Tamora Pierce. Her official website has an extremely long FAQ that could be titled "How to get published."

You mentioned being an aspie, I have Aspergers Syndrome too. :D Girls with Aspergers are rare, most of the aspie's I've met are male.
As to my personal tastes, I am straight and monogamous. I'm in a committed celibate relationship with my devoted boyfriend of 2years. Despite the numerous times I have mentioned it, It has yet too sink in to him that the celibacy-until-marriage was My Decision to ensure a compatible and lasting relationship and Not my mums decision because she's an Elder in our church. my sisters have had several non-celibate relations and have not received any condemnation for it.
I simply believe that a relationship is bound to last longer if you get to know each other without letting sex cloud your thinking.