PDA

View Full Version : Work out and diet to prepare for tail swimming?

Seraphina Suds
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I hope this is the right section of the forum for something like this.

I'm trying to lose weight and get in a decent physical state to really start mermaiding. I'm a decent swimmer and I've been swimming mermaid style my whole life. I imagine it is slightly different once you get a tail on though! So I was wondering if anyone had a specific work out that helped them tone the right areas needed for swimming? I've heard that bellydancing is a good option.

AniaR
08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I think if you;re going to use a monofin stretching is really important, and if you're going to be posing as a mermaid for any type of time too. I do yoga stretches to prepare, I hoop (loosens up my hips) and lift weights. Ive been meaning to actually do a video tutorial but I dont think I'll have time til the winter

Mermaid Lei Loni
08-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I did the exact opposite when I started mermaiding. I have used mermaiding to get me into better physical shape! I have found that swimming with a tail (for me) is actually easier than swimming without it. When I first started, for safety reasons, I just made sure to always have someone else with me in the pool. I am most definitely a plus-sized mermaid, but my weight hasn't had any negative impact on how well I swim or how I'm received by the public as a mermaid either. I have found that mermaiding is an excellent exercise for me, and I even have a separate tail just for my "work-outs". So I would say the best workout is to just take the plunge!

SilverSiren
08-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Diet means a lot when you want to loose weight. Keep a calorie defect, meaning, eat fewer calories than you need to maintain your current weight. Usual calorie intake for a female is 2,000 calories a day if not more. So eat 1,500 a day. This includes drinks! Try to only drink water, it helps! Cut out sugar and salt as much as you can!

Take up whatever exercise feels right for you! I swim, jog, and do muscle build all week, I take Sunday or Saturday off. Start slow, you dont want to hurt yourself! Do 3 or 4 days a week, then more. Doing muscle building, like sqauts and push ups and crunches, will help you loose weight faster and build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so be mindful of that if you decide to weigh yourself, personally, I stay away from scales! They lie! Muscle also will burn calories just sittin around doing nothing! It takes energy to maintain current muscles. Just switch up your exercise a lot, do lots of stuff you enjoy!

Eat 6 small meals rather than 3 large ones, this will keep your metabolism going, burning more calories. Cheat once a week! Yeah, thats right, cheat! Have that nice big slice of fudge cake and just enjoy it like you've not eaten in weeks! This provides two purposes too! One is too keep you satisfied that your getting the naughty stuff so you are less likely to cheat during the week. Two, your tricking your body into not leveling out and getting used to the new calorie intake by spiking your calorie intake.

If you have questions just ask! I lost 100 pounds in 5 months this way and I'm in better shape than I was when I was 21! Good luck!

Seraphina Suds
08-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies! My main problem is that I don't have a place to swim regularly. I moved this year and the pool I grew up swimming in is now over an hour away. I've thought about joining a gym that has a pool, but I'm shy/self conscious and I don't think I'd do well in a public sort of place right now. I feel stuck. But at least I can exercise out of the water...

If you have questions just ask! I lost 100 pounds in 5 months this way and I'm in better shape than I was when I was 21! Good luck!
Wow, really? That's so drastic! D: I've always been told you should aim for about 2 pounds a week at most. Anything else is unhealthy. I'm trying to stay under 1700 calories for now and just stick to water and tea. I'm also trying to walk at least one mile per day. I work as a hostess at an Applebee's, so I'm on me feet for hours at a time, but not necessarily walking.

SilverSiren
08-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies! My main problem is that I don't have a place to swim regularly. I moved this year and the pool I grew up swimming in is now over an hour away. I've thought about joining a gym that has a pool, but I'm shy/self conscious and I don't think I'd do well in a public sort of place right now. I feel stuck. But at least I can exercise out of the water...

Wow, really? That's so drastic! D: I've always been told you should aim for about 2 pounds a week at most. Anything else is unhealthy. I'm trying to stay under 1700 calories for now and just stick to water and tea. I'm also trying to walk at least one mile per day. I work as a hostess at an Applebee's, so I'm on me feet for hours at a time, but not necessarily walking.

I was VERY strict! lol. I ate lots of veg, fiber, whole grain, fruit, fish, eggs and lean chicken breast. I took a multi vitamin once a day. I would ususally workout for an hour everyday and have a protein shake after my workout (I worked out at night so the shake would be my very last thing in my stomach cause it lasts for a while so you don't eat late at night, not good for you to do that) and always endeavored to have a small meal every couple of hours. I cut out sugar ENTIRELY for a couple months, then did the cheat day once a week so I could have that doughnut, cake, cooookiiieeeeeesss, lol (just DON'T over do it). You just gotta want it so so bad, you have to motivate yourself a lot, tell yourself "hey, I know I dont feel like running, jogging etc, but if I just go and get it over with then I can feel GOOD about it". And you do... then all of a sudden your pants wont fit and OH DARN you get to go SHOPPING! For a new, smaller, pair of pants. One day, I went to the shop, picked up what I thought was my size... turned out I could wear TWO sizes smaller than I thought I was! Thats why I NEVER look at scales! THEY LIE! I go by how I fit my clothes. If I am fitting into smaller sizes, then I know its working. Sometimes the scales will tell you, you gained 5 pounds, but you feel thinner... well thats true, you probably ARE thinner, but the muscle you've gained makes you read heavier! Or even the same as when you started months ago! to prove my point, check this out...

http://paleozonenutrition.com/2012/04/25/what-does-your-body-look-like-on-the-inside-more-reasons-to-lift-weights/

It will give you motivation like nothing else will! And serve a reminder that you ARE getting somewhere IF you are putting in the effort. Oh, and yes, two pounds a week is a healthy rate... but if your BIG, you loose a LOT at first. Some really large people lose 20 pounds the first week they start a diet and workout routine. The more you have to loose, the faster it comes off... that's why the dreaded "last ten pounds" is SUCH a pain in the tail! Your body wants to hold on to the little fat it has left for dear life! You just have to up the intensity and make sure your getting enough protein. Protein is SO important, you muscles need it to grow. I also can't emphasize how so very important water is, please, drink your water! Two liters a day. I used to save the two liter coke bottles my roommates would discard and fill them with water, that way I could track my progress of water intake through the day and make sure I got it all. Good luck lovely! ;)

Spindrift
08-08-2012, 02:35 AM
I like this thread. Thanks for your input, SilverSiren! :)

SilverSiren
08-08-2012, 02:53 AM
I like this thread. Thanks for your input, SilverSiren! :)

Hey, no problem! When it comes to loosing weight fast and safe I know my stuff in that department, so why not share all I know. I have helped quite a few friends lose weight. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask! :D

Gem Stone
08-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I just use P90X and finds that works for me. I drop pounds like crazy. I might show my mother what you did though, cause P90X doesn't work so well for her
But also, giving yourself something to work for helps. Like my parents told me if I dropped twenty pounds, we'd go to Cozumel. Three weeks later, we bought our tickets

SilverSiren
08-08-2012, 11:41 AM
I just use P90X and finds that works for me. I drop pounds like crazy. I might show my mother what you did though, cause P90X doesn't work so well for her
But also, giving yourself something to work for helps. Like my parents told me if I dropped twenty pounds, we'd go to Cozumel. Three weeks later, we bought our tickets

I used P90X too, mostly the yoga cause its the kind of yoga that kicks your butt! lol. I just did whatever I was interested in. I also do little things that go a long way too, like taking the stairs, walking into town instead of bus or car, etc. I swim, bike, run, jog, walk, P90X, stretch (can't emphasis that enough too! Stretching prevents injury!), there is soooo much you can do everyday. Diet really is 70% of it though, if you eat little calories but it's coming from bad food, then it's defeating the purpose. I always had good reasons and motivation... I used to go buy a lovely dress I wanted but I would get it in a size I wanted to be so that I had to work to fit in it! lol. It's like "You likey the dress? You want to wear it? Then you better get off your tail and go for a swim!" lol.

Lyna
08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
i didn't know p90x had a yoga routine...interesting..i might have to look into that.
i agree that mermaiding itself is a workout in itself. the first time i swam in a monofin OR full tail, was with my pod in the atlantic ocean. the salt in the water caused nasty charlie horses and i realized how badly i needed to get into shape.
i've been taking joint pills morning and night (i need double knee replacements) and magnesium in the mornings, calcium at night. just trying to get my insides a little stronger before pushing myself too hard. being in the tail doing photoshoots is fairly strenuous activity. but swimming in the water is nice low impact on my knees. the wave motion of swimming works your abdominals, and then to switch it up, you can drag you tail in the water behind you using your legs for nothing at all, and get a full upper body work out. of course, this works better in some nice waves with varying degrees to work with.
i've been meaning to start stretching again daily. just kind of blah since my surgery a month ago, it gave me the perfect excuse to be lazy. as if i wasnt lazy enough already. lol
i also hoop...but i havent in a long time, and i'm going to snag a new one so i can start doing that again. it gives you an amazing stomach in no time at all. with like zero effort. especially if you know how to hang and hoop upside down ;).

SilverSiren
08-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Oh gawd... doesn't surgery just suck? I gained a lot of weight a few months back because of it, losing it all over again. I went in to have a stent (tube) placed from my bladder to my kidney so everything could settle and heal from a massive stone that was stuck in there... well, turns out I had a nasty infection in my kidney and the tube caused pressure in there, spilling that infection in my body. I went into septic shock and had to be put in a medically induced coma for 4 days, then I was in the hospital for 3 weeks after that, then very limited mobility for two months after I got out.... BOOOOOOOooo! So, now here I am, losing it all again! Grrr!

Seraphina Suds
08-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I've heard p90x is crazy hard. D: For now, I'm sticking with the WiiFit and this super old "walk a mile" type vhs tape, haha. I want to join a gym with a pool eventually. But first I have to get in shape for the gym, haha.

Mermaid Fenicia
08-10-2012, 03:02 AM
I just eat normal ans go swimming once a week. I also do some yoga-exercises, breathing-exercises and meditation 3 days a week. ;)

Winged Mermaid
08-10-2012, 04:13 AM
I feel like we should have a weight loss/getting healthy motivation/support thread. I only gained about 4lbs a year for several years, then this past year I gained nearly 10 D: My narcolepsy has been kicking my ass, making it very hard to get an actual workout. Also my stomach issues have been playing up for several months, meaning it only wanted to handle bready stuff sooo mostly pasta and toast :/ Not to mention moving to another state, so a lot of fast food and restaurants.

My goal is to lose 10-15lbs before I order my new tail (Merbellas Studios!). I have found some yoga and bellydancing classes and plan to get in on those. I do laps at the pool on base when hubby's work schedule permits. I have a wii fit- turns out my hubby bought one and never told me, and I didn't see it until I was unpacking from the move. MEN! :P

What are good wii fit games Risewiththemoon?

Lyna
08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
oh yes, also planking.

Seraphina Suds
08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
What are good wii fit games Risewiththemoon?

Hmm, well I have just regular old Wii Fit (http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/wii-fit-game-only/76663) but there's also Wii Fit Plus (http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/wii-fit-plus-game-only/75862). Dancing games are a good way to work out too. There's the Just Dance series (http://www.gamestop.com/browse/nintendo-wii?nav=16k-just+dance,138a) and Zumba (http://www.gamestop.com/browse/nintendo-wii?nav=16k-zumba,138a). The Zumba games are more for a workout where as the Just Dance games are more for fun. c:

Mermaid Crystal
08-13-2012, 04:28 PM
I too do yoga before i swim plus eat healthy

Spindrift
08-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I too do yoga before i swim plus eat healthy

I read that as I was about to put another handful of biscuits in my mouth. :$

Seraphina Suds
08-24-2012, 03:46 PM
I had a thought while failing at my diet; do you think swimming in shapewear would help achieve a temporary slimmer look? Until you were able to actually lose the pounds.

Winged Mermaid
08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Like spanks? (dunno if that's how it's spelled) Under something like a 1 piece, yeah, I think that could work. They're basically all stretchy fabric like elastic an nylon, so I would guess they would hold in the water.

Seraphina Suds
09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Yup. Something just to control the tummy rolls. They can get expensive though.

Capt Nemo
09-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Alternate days with cardio one day and strength the next. That's what we did in the military during basic. Push-ups and sit-ups 3 days a week and cardio the other 3 days. Sunday was our day off. Alternating gives the muscles a chance to repair and grow.

Also hypothermia with reduced caloric intake will dump pounds fast. When I was spending all day clearing the seaweed by our place, I'd spend 8 hours in the water in a 3mm wetsuit. The wetsuit kept heat loss tolerable so you wouldn't start shivering. I was loosing about a pound or two a day (3500-7000 calories) over what I was eating (~1200 calories).

Winged Mermaid
09-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Alternate days with cardio one day and strength the next. That's what we did in the military during basic. Push-ups and sit-ups 3 days a week and cardio the other 3 days. Sunday was our day off. Alternating gives the muscles a chance to repair and grow.

Also hypothermia with reduced caloric intake will dump pounds fast. When I was spending all day clearing the seaweed by our place, I'd spend 8 hours in the water in a 3mm wetsuit. The wetsuit kept heat loss tolerable so you wouldn't start shivering. I was loosing about a pound or two a day (3500-7000 calories) over what I was eating (~1200 calories).

So maybe I DIDN'T ruin my diet this weekend? Know I overshot my caloric intake but I was in pretty cold water swimming and was shivering for bit, and a while after I got out as well. I can only hope ;D haha

Seraphina Suds
09-21-2012, 12:11 PM
You all are lucky you have places to swim! D: I'm so jealous. I feel like if I was able to swim a few times a week, I would have no problem dropping some pounds. I'm trying to do Zumba 3 times a week now, but it's hard to find time between work and when my feet/ankle isn't in pain. (I work in a restaurant so I'm constantly on my feet)