PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Tails Fund

Little_Orca
08-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Good Merrow! er... Morrow!

As some of you know, my fiancée and I want to get married in mermaid/merman tails. [He still would like a tail, but has said that if he must get married in pirate / captain garb in order for us to get married sooner / me get a tail quicker, he will be willing to do that. When he gets a job though, he should be able to help with the tail purchase.] We have both agreed that we would like to get married in custom tails by Mermaid Raven.

Now comes the hard part, saving the money. Neither of us are employed right now and while I continue to search for employment post graduation, the search has not provided much in the way of opportunities. We both know it will be a while before we can afford a Raven tail, which is all right since we both need to loose a little more weight before we order them. [I do currently have a job, but I am on-call only. I am seeking to get hired at another location full time which would help me get the money I need quicker. Mr. Orca is still unemployed and has been trying to get a job for the last year.]

Why get married in a tail? Why not? I would honestly rather spend the money on a tail I am going to use multiple times rather than on a dress I am going to wear once.

I am not asking for a hand out to make this dream come true. I am posting here to draw attention to the crochet mermaid dolls I have been making. I have three of them currently for sale [Calypso (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/405410_10100385610031398_249637968_n.jpg), Abby, and Umi (https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531209_10100384646567188_1008565571_n.jpg)]. I can do custom dolls: you'd pic colors, hair length, extra fins or 'scales,' etc. (Calypso has the extra fins, Abby has the 'scales.') The dolls cost about $60 a piece and are about 15-20 inches long. After fees and other banes of selling online, the rest of the money I earn will be put in a piggy bank (figuratively and physically) for the purchase of the tails at a later date.

I am trying my hand at a smaller mermaid doll pattern. These dolls would be cheaper since they should not take as long to make. When I finish one, I will post an image and discuss pricing then.

I included here a list of the colors of yarn that I have that I will be using to make the dolls. As you can see I have many colors and some interesting color blends. I have primarily two skin tone colors (Cafe and Buff). Coffee is no longer available at the moment, plus it makes the eyes nearly vanish on the doll.

https://ny-image0.etsy.com/001/0/6496558/il_570xN.363947328_723p.jpg

Here are some examples of dolls I have made. As you can see, I can make dolls that look like you in your tail as well.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/531209_10100384646567188_1008565571_n.jpg

Dolls with the scale-look versus extra fins.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/182179_10100383147665998_67007502_n.jpg

A customized doll of Mermaid Shelly. (This doll was posed and is not as 'floppy' as the other mermaids above.)

Information on Art Commissions A few posts down!

I accept only paypal.

Thank you for reading my post!

Whispers of the Sea (http://www.etsy.com/shop/WhispersOfTheSea) <---- My Etsy Page. ((Currently empty; dolls may be sold away from etsy to keep costs down. Still working on that.))

MermaidRaven
08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Oh how exciting!! Ive always loved all your beautiful tails so Im so excited to see your designs. Are you going to do a white and black tail? This sounds like such a wonderful idea and I'm sooooo happy you want us (my husband makes the tails with me<3) to make them:)
I just got married in June and I wanted to make a "wedding tail" but we didn't have the time/money to do it. Let me know when you are ready to order Tyler and I will try to work with you on the price since you would be ordering two <3

So much love and congratulations!

Ps: The Dolls are to die for! I will totally be ordering one;)

Little_Orca
08-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Thank you, Raven. :) I am unsure about colors. We have not really thought that far ahead yet. Hehe. :)

Arella
08-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Those dolls are really adorable!

Mermaid Bubbles
08-08-2012, 10:48 PM
:) I love the doll they are soo cute :)

Mermaid Sirena
08-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Once I get a job after graduation I'm certainly going to be ordering a custom doll from you, perhaps I'll be ordering several... I can see these as being exceptionally awesome Christmas gifts.

SilverSiren
08-14-2012, 12:26 PM
I want one! But money for me is falling through my hands trying to start my business... maybe I can get one soon, when are you getting married?

AniaR
08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
BEST IDEA EVER OMG YOU'RE AWESOME I know Raven will make you something great too. Besides people usually use a wedding dress once and rent a suit, quite often for more than her tails, YOU CAN KEEP THESE AND SWIM OMG SO SMART. I dont have the money now but I'd LOVE to commission a doll to use when I do kids events :D

AniaR
08-14-2012, 12:34 PM
also, I will send clients your way, I have people ask me if I do things like this to bring to parties, it would be great if I could get people sending you $$ to have these for their kids

Little_Orca
08-15-2012, 12:02 AM
I want one! But money for me is falling through my hands trying to start my business... maybe I can get one soon, when are you getting married?

We have not set a date yet, sadly. We got engaged right before I entered grad school and I told him I could not even think about marriage until I was done. He said all right. :) Now that I am $100,000 in debt to a college, we are still unsure of a date! lol. Hopefully, I will get a job soon (I have some friends who have found some things that have not been opened to the public yet) and then I can pay off that bill and save up for the tails.

Little_Orca
08-15-2012, 12:05 AM
also, I will send clients your way, I have people ask me if I do things like this to bring to parties, it would be great if I could get people sending you $$ to have these for their kids

Maybe we could talk about Mermaid Raina dolls later on? *Giggle!* I can add some paint to the tail to make it more like yours. I just have to let my fingers heal and get feeling back in them from all this crocheting!

Fun note! I just finished my first orca [ http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/562061_10100395197967098_1038271724_n.jpg ] and might put some of those up at a later time as well.

Mermaid Lorelei
08-15-2012, 12:35 AM
That little orca is adorable!

Felicia
08-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Gawd I just love how freaking adorable the orca is

Talia
08-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Those dolls are cute as buttons!
I'll keep your shop in my favorites, I need a mermaid doll for sure :)

Little_Orca
08-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Just an update. I have the Mermaid Raina test-doll half done. I did get an order in so I had to put that doll first, sorry.

Also, I am considering opening up my painting skill to those with cloth tails who need or want embellishments on them. Thoughts? The job market is really slamming me and I just got my third rejection.

Edit: Make that 4th... go me!

Spindrift
08-24-2012, 04:00 PM
This is awesome! I want two, but I'll have to wait until my tails are finally complete. :| Merlissa, I will definitely be in contact. :)

Kanti
08-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Wow LittleOrca you are very talented xD
Those all look so cute~ And $60 isn't half bad for a little crochet doll.
I'd also love to see how your wedding tails come out, it'll be something completely different ~

Good luck with your sales~ You might hear from me in the future xD

Angel the Little Merman
08-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Me want cute little dollies!

Mermaid Marissa
05-03-2013, 06:52 AM
These are so cute!!!!!!! I want one! I've always wanted to get married in a tail :lol: when my friends where dreaming about dresses I was dreaming about a mermaid wedding haha so I get where you're coming from.

Little_Orca
06-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Commissions are currently -- Open

I mentioned some time ago (in another thread) about doing art commissions for mermaids and mermen here to help with my wedding tail fund. I had planned to do them in watercolors then mail them to people, but that would drive the cost up and when costs go up, people shy away. However, by doing art digitally, I can offer you the same look and cut the price down. Thus, commissions for digital art are open!

If you are considering commissioning me for art, first I would like to thank you. Even if you decide not to do it, the consideration does mean something to me. :) Second of all, you should email me at little_orca@hotmail.com with the following information:

PLEASE put the subject header as "Mermaid Art Commission" or it may accidentally get deleted. The junk mail sorter is not always kind! If you send me a message and I do not reply within a day or two, please send me a private message here and I will scan the spam filter for your message.
What you want in the image. Assuming you want an image of yourself, what is your mer-sona wearing? What is the color of your tail? Do you have extra fins? Is there something else you want in there with you? Do you want a dolphin? What kind? Reference pictures are greatly appreciated. If you do not have one please try to be as specific as possible in your written description.
How you want them represented. I have a few different styles I am offering up at different prices. (All prices are in US Dollars.)
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Private%20Art/MermaidCommissionsExamples_zps32f5a51b.png

One Figure: Black and White Sketch (cross hatch shading) -- $10
One Figure: Black and White Sketch (gray-scale shading) -- $15
One Figure: Sketch with Color -- $20
Each additional figure / Sea creature (school of fish will count as one figure): $5

Once you have emailed me, I will respond to confirm with you and add you to my list. I am only going to take five commissions at at time so that I can keep up with them. After I have finished the artwork, I will send you a miniature preview of it (most likely 1/4 the finished scale.) If you approve, I ask that you send payment via Paypal and I will send you the image.

As a bonus, I tend to do art live over my live stream located at: http://www.livestream.com/RapunzelsPaintings (Some art will Not Be Safe For Work (NSFW -- PG 13 -- Artistic Nudes).)

Please note! While you have purchased the art, you have not purchased the rights to the art. I do not mind, for example, if you wish to print the image on canvas paper or nice photo paper in order to hang it in your house or give it to a family member. What I do mind is if you print this image and attempt to sell it yourself either in part or in whole. Also, I do mind if you use the image in some form of marketing without written permission.

Thank you for reading this post and I hope you all have a good day!

Mermaid Kalliope
06-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Boo being broke. When I have the money - Expect an e-mail! <3

jukumerboii
06-14-2013, 04:43 AM
im DEF getting a Blix doll and art commission!!!