View Full Version : Top tankini

Mermaid Crystal
08-10-2012, 02:42 AM
I am thinking of making a lion paw top with tulle or netting of somesort and make a tankini do you think i should glue the netting or what:confused:? thanks:).

WavyMermaidy
08-10-2012, 07:16 AM
I just finished something similar to what you are describing. I initially made just a short bra top (with lions paw shells glued onto an old nude-color bra) and I wanted to use netting (recycled fishing net from the craft store) to hide the exposed parts of the bra. I ended up stitching the netting to the bra with a needle and beige thread (putting the needle through the actual net threads, not just in and around the "holes" in the netting) but left some straggly ends of the netting below the bra line. Here's a pic of how that turned out...even though you can't see it there is netting all around around the back straps and the shoulder straps of the bra: 5176

So after I finished this I realized I really wanted more of a tankini, so I ended up using similar colored hemp string (like you'd use for jewelry making) to tie on another couple of tankini-length layers (more than one layer is just for more skin coverage) of netting to hang below what I'd already had. I tied the longer pieces to the netting on the bra part every few "holes" and it made a really effective tankini. What's nice is that you don't have to worry to much about making it even since it looks more "natural" to have straggly pieces and some longer than others and some layering. Good luck making yours!!!

Mermaid Crystal
08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Beautiful Top! you can use fake pearls too

WavyMermaidy
08-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I actually have some fake pearls that I was going to glue on - to the point of having them all placed and the glue out and ready to go - but then decided not to in favor of a more "natural" look at this point.