PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please!

MermaidIvy
08-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Okay. So My whole problem with Mermaiding is that people might make fun of me and call me immature.
:$
I made the mistake of sending my friend Jade a sketch I made of a tail. The picture was actually supposed to go to my friend Sirena, but it was an accident. anyways, I covered it up. I told Jade that it for a contest. She believed me, and started asking questions. She said it was silly, and that made me feel even worse about her finding out about my mermaiding. I felt really guilty, but I kept on Lying:doh:. I said that there was a Woman opening up a mermaid tail buisness, and she was holding a contest where you design tails and send them to her, and the top 3 become a regular product and get sold, and she sends you the tail. She then told me what her website was, so I said she didnt have one. She asked for her email,and I told her she had no email. When she asked for her address, I just told her that i was waiting for Sirena to tell me.
Then, she said she was maybe going to enter. :doh: And then she asked: "If there's no website or email, how'd you find out?" I was considering saying Sirena told me, but then she'd ask "How'd Sirena Know?" so I took hold of the fact that my aunt from California was visiting. I told Jade that the woman was my Aunts best Friend, and that she had a mermaid-store-from-home buisness. I said My aunt told me all about the Contest when she came for dinner. Jade believed me, Then asked if the tail was free. I was desperate to not let her realize I was lying, so I told her you had to pay for it. She said "How Much?" As I said, I was DESPERATE. I said they were 500$. Which, Technicaally, wasnt too imaginative, seeing as some of the Mertailor tails are almost 600$. Not to mention the ones that cost thousands of dollars! She complained, And Then Said She was GOING to Enter. :headwall:
I didnt want her to search the store name online, and possibly find the mernetwork, So I told her that she didnt have to worry, and that I was going to give my tail design to my aunt, and have her take it back to california with her, and I offered to give my aunt hers, too. She accepted. Today, she came over and gave me her designs. I got her an envelope and she wrote her return address on it, so the woman could ship her tail to her if she won.

I feel awful, but I dont know what to do... Should I tell her I lied? Or should I just hide the envelope and never speak of it again? :confused::(
Please Respond!!!

Mermaid Annariea
08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
i have a question first: why were you so terribly embarrassed about something you seem so passionate about? dont ever be embarrassed about something you care about. it is a part of you, and people who dont accept that arent as important in your life. you need positive influences and encouragement, not scrutiny and criticism.

now for your problem... its a bit hard to decide what you should do now... the best thing to do is tell the truth, but its hard once youre this far into a lie. you should never lie. but at the same time, i guess youd be worried that she would end up mad at you... coming clean isnt easy, but its the best thing to do.
if you decide to tell the truth, explain to her that you were horribly embarrassed because you didn't want her to think you were immature or weird. if shes a good friend, she might be hurt or upset that you lied to her, but she should understand. and who knows? if she entered hoping to win a mermaid tail, maybe she doesnt think its so weird after all.

i hope you figure everything out, and i hope it works out for the best hunn <3

Mermaid Celissa
08-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Hmmm...I see. You should either...

A- Be honest!! Always the right thing. Tell her you made up the stuff about the contest so she wouldn't think badly of you. Apologize and be friends.
B- Tell her the contest was cancelled if you're too shy to tell her the truth.

Hope I helped!

Ayla of Duluth
08-10-2012, 09:52 PM
i'd just say that her drawings didn't win.
However i would also tell her the truth about you and mermaiding, if shes a true friend she won't judge. besides, she showed interest by entering this "contest," which means she's clearly okay with getting a tail. don't worry about what other people think. if mermaiding makes you happy, go for it. you'll always no matter what get people who make fun of you, but you'll also get far more people saying its cool and you're awesome for doing it.

AniaR
08-10-2012, 09:54 PM
just let it go, it'll blow over :)

Mermaid Lorelei
08-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I would definitely suggest telling her the truth. Let her know how nervous you were about her knowing, tell her you're sorry, and go one from there. It's always best to tell the truth. People respect you more that way, even if you had to admit to a lie. The fact that you admitted to it is very telling and goes a long way in making people respect you. On the other side of the coin, it is NEVER good to hide a lie. It never completely goes away.

Mermaid Marissa
08-10-2012, 11:26 PM
i'd just say that her drawings didn't win.
However i would also tell her the truth about you and mermaiding, if shes a true friend she won't judge. besides, she showed interest by entering this "contest," which means she's clearly okay with getting a tail. don't worry about what other people think. if mermaiding makes you happy, go for it. you'll always no matter what get people who make fun of you, but you'll also get far more people saying its cool and you're awesome for doing it.

I agree I feel like she wants to learn more and that you can tell her that neither one of you won and then you can slowly introduce her to mermaiding :) who knows you might make a "pod" of friends :D (that's what happened to me...not the contest part though)

good luck!

MermaidIvy
08-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Well, I guess I just didn't want to tell anyone about it because I'm not sure how I feel. I'm one of those people who just can't make up their minds. One day I want to be Scene, Then I decide I should be me. Then I think I should be sort of boho. Then I decide to be all Ralph Lauren and Expensive Things.

So what I'm trying to say, Is That I'm worried that I'll tell my friends, They'll either accept it/dump me, and then I might not want my 230$ Tail! It's a lot of money, and I also kind of want to be just a normal person. I'm into cheer leading, dancing, and stuff like that. I just Can't decide. I never can, an It clouds my judgement.

Theobromine
08-14-2012, 11:11 PM
The most important thing is to not be afraid to be yourself. If you're so afraid of being yourself around your friends because you think they would ridicule you, then I don't think they're such good friends after all. But seriously, like others said, if she not only wanted to enter the contest but was also ok with the idea of paying ~$500 for a tail, then she probably wouldn't think you were crazy if you told her about your mermaiding!! And really, I think it's best to come clean. Honesty is always the best policy. A lie can come back to bite you in the ass later on, and you don't want that. She would probably be a lot more upset if she found out you lied later on, than if you just apologized and told her the truth. And then, hopefully you can introduce her to the mermaid community!

Lyna
08-15-2012, 12:56 AM
immature?! honey, i'm thrice married with 2 kids and i rock tails every occassion that i get. everyone knows. they're just like "meh, that's cat. she does that."

MermaidIvy
08-22-2012, 05:42 PM
immature?! honey, i'm thrice married with 2 kids and i rock tails every occassion that i get. everyone knows. they're just like "meh, that's cat. she does that."

Lyna, your post just made me laugh my head off :lol:
Im with young teens&preteens, and you know how bitchy they are!Gossip, Rumors, Bullying, all that stuff:/

Lyna
08-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Yea...I was there...once upon a time....you just have to learn to ignore them. If I was less caring about the way that others saw me back in school the way I'm beginning to be now...I would already be ruling the world.