PDA

View Full Version : Help a Curvy Mermaid?

Thalassa
08-10-2012, 11:59 PM
I hate my big bum! I'm a curvy mermaid (only in the bum), so basically since my Fish Butts tail is big enough to get over my thighs, it leave a HUGE gap at the waist (seriously, I almost look like one of those "I lost this much weight"ads). If I take in the waist I won't be able to get it over my thighs or bum...right now I have a nice long top (courtesy of Fish Butts as well) that covers it dry, but I'm pretty sure it will be an issue when swimming. I thought about adding a belt on the inside, but I feel the puckering of the top material might look really weird...I'd put a zipper in it, but I'm a very novice sewer and am quite honestly afraid of zippers (not like a zipper phobia...I'm just very afraid of putting zippers in).

Any advice? A button, maybe? :-S Is there a way for me to attach the top to the bottom when swimming without damaging the tail?

(I want to make clear that this is in no way Fish Butts' fault. The tail is made correctly for my measurements, it's just that my measurements are very curvy.)

New York Mermaid
08-11-2012, 12:35 AM
you can always have an elastic waistband put in?

Thalassa
08-11-2012, 12:38 AM
That's seeming like my best option, Lanai. I'm not sure if I could do it myself or if I'd need to take it somewhere to have it done (I don't know that anyplace around here is actually experienced at sewing latex-covered neoprene, lol).

Winged Mermaid
08-11-2012, 02:30 AM
If I were you, I'd take it to a seamstress to have a zipper put in. Just tell her what kind of material it is and either tell her what kind of zipper you want or buy and bring your own. I would advise those made for heavy duty use and not metal, like those made for parkas and such- note that "invisible" zippers are prone to breaking. She can even take it in so it'll fit snugly in the waist once the zipper is installed! We've had people take tails to seamstresses before (even to sew a tail together!) and it worked out fine. They work with neoprene in other things, and they usually have industrial sewing machines.

Mermaid Cascada
08-11-2012, 11:26 AM
You could maybe use velcro instead of a zipper but I think the zipper is your best shot.

MaMagica
08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I think a zipper would be the best. Maybe you could find a local seamstress to help you make the changes.
Maybe a picture would be in order :)