PDA

View Full Version : Types of tails

MaMagica
08-11-2012, 10:37 AM
I was just wondering is the cloth or silicon tails are more life like?
what are the pros and cons of each?
what about safety when using these for younger children?

Arella
08-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Silicon is more life like, but more expensive and heavier. Just make sure they can swim well and always have someone in the pool with them.

AniaR
08-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I am currently working on an article about this very topic to be published Sept 1st in our free emagazine

Mermaid Momo
08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
YES! another tail flip!
but on your topic, I know that there's a thread on this already somewhere around here which lists the pros and cons and info on realistic tails. There isn't really any thread like that for fabric tails (but there is a fabric tail appretiation thread) and i wouldn't recommend giving small children silicone tails unless they have experience with fabric tails and/or a large monofin because latex and silicone tails are more restricted that fabric tails because they can't stretch as much and they can be much heavier outside of water and I would think that they are also harder to propel themselves with because of a heavier fluke (is that correct for those of you with latex and silicone tails?)

Winged Mermaid
08-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Silicone tails aren't recommended for children- that is mostly because of the weight, the time and effort it takes to get in and out of the tails (getting out being the more concerning matter here), and that children (and teens) grow so fast they can grow out of a tail in a few months sometimes. There as a teen who spent $750 on a Mertailor tail then grew out if it in 3 months, and that was neoprene and tin cure latex- a silicone would be much more expensive.

Silicone:
Pros: Very realistic, stretchy for those who shift back and forth in weight or for fitting those of similar but not exact sizes, neutrally buoyant in water, will last a long time instead of breaking down like other tails; Cons: Very expensive, hard to get in and out of, very heavy on land (some can not even lift or move their fluke by themselves, but have to have others pose their fluke for them for pictures and such).

Fabric: Pros: Affordable, lightweight, easily customizable, low maintenance, easy to get on and off; Cons: Low level of realism, fabric breaks down and fades over time- can end up with rips and holes, sagging fabric, faded colors, ect.

Little_Orca
08-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Fabric tails do make good training tails.

MaMagica
08-13-2012, 08:27 AM
thanks for all the great advice